I Don't Like Jagex

Danqazmlp

Fact: Jagex is a company which has grown from a nothing into a company which makes millions of pounds sterling per year and brings entertainment to a record breaking number of people around the world.

Yet, so frequently around this forum, people show this company no respect whatsoever and seem content that they are idiotic, stupid and may as well be blind and unable to use a computer. But it confuses me to no end when people have this opinion. As a company they may make a few mistakes in their game as a rarity, however, on the whole they deserve and should get your respect.

First and foremost, Jagex is a gaming company. This means that they need and want to make money. Any and every update they make to their game will be to get new users and to get more money. That is a good thing for you and me. It means the ability to hire more staff for customer service, getting updates done faster by hiring more developers and allows them to hire more servers for more worlds and more space for all of the players. Yet still somehow, people complain when Jagex try to make themselves some money, it is absurd.

For the amount of gameplay you can get out of Runescape, the price you pay is incredibly minute, yet the amount Jagex can make is incredibly large, which is nothing but good for us as the players.

Secondly Jagex are human. Yes I know calling them that here may get me killed. A majority of them are aged around 20-30 years, which means they don't have 40 years of business experience so the amount they have done is also astonishing (Remember, Andrew was very young when the company was founded). As they are human, they can make mistakes. The best of us do it, the worst of us do it a lot. For the amount of updates Jagex have made over the 9 years of Runescape running, the number in which mistakes have been made is a very small minority. Compared to your average business, they are very clean. You could count the number of large mistakes Jagex have made and have not had any good reasoning for on your hands.

Jagex don't only make Runescape. If you have a problem with a Runescape update, you will usually blame Jagex, but it is not the whole of Jagex which deal with Runescape. Jagex have built various games which many people enjoy.

However, my main gripe is that so many people resort to bad-mouthing Jagex without even taking a deep breath and thinking. I urge you to stop and think next time you feel like an update has been wrong or something has annoyed you in-game and think more than 'omg i hate this'. Think about who something will benefit, who will use it, who will it disadvantage, what advantages will it give me, who will enjoy it? Knee-jerk reactions are often the wrong reaction to have as you won't have any clarity of thought and you will just sound idiotic to those who bother to think first.

Please also remember that even when somebody isn't bad-mouthing Jagex, they don't necessaries like Jagex, they just have the clarity of thought to think something through enough.

If you bother to do that and think things through, I am positive that you will find some respect for Jagex and it may even make the game and it's vast amount of updates more enjoyable for you. Not only will you make the community more friendly but you will be helping yourself.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Respect has to be earnt, and it is a lot easier to lose it than it is to gain it. I lost a lot of respect for Jagex when they made the changes to rock climbing boots, I still think it was hypocritical of them to give away free money to lucky individuals. I enjoy the game and I like most of the updates that Jagex implement, but if they do something I don't like I'm perfectly entitled to say so.

Danqazmlp it doesnt take much for the 13-18 year olds to get their panties in a bunch and complain about everything for them at this point in thier lives they think they have everything figured out and the world is stupid because everyone else has not got it yet. A good majority of the players in that age range have a very me first, im the best, i know it all attitude so of course they act and make the posts that they make. Hell sometimes it players will never grow out of this phase no matter how old they get. I remember typing over and over again about the new area being the staging area for the new skill but everyone wanted to say it was for a quest.... Its the same know it all dont think about anything mindset that most of the players in that age range have. Nothing will change that and its something that older players and mature players of that age range will just have to deal with.

People take games too seriously these days. People have to stop raging over every little thing and remember it's only a game and not their life.

dzuz3d.jpg

Moved to the Rants section.

~ Purepure4774

OT: I agree for the most part, however the latest update over the climbing boots made me lose a lot of faith in their decision making capabilities. There are so many flaws in their reasoning over that update that I can't help but think there is something "fishy" going on in relation with it. When they say that the climbing boot price was found to be "75k" street price after much research (when it was barely 10k), and that these accounts could always make "75k profit per boot" (when realistically it'd be junk trading which would be little profit, and never even occurred for outlandish prices such as 75k) I can only begin to question the mental integrity that was available for this update. I could go more into it, but I've written enough about it on the RSOF. It's simply one of those things that apparently will just have to be forgotten... :thumbdown:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Shouldn't you be writing a short paragraph to convince Jagex that they are human and it's alright to make and admit to their mistakes? They do show pretty well that they're acting like a company though, every decision seems to take a few days (and probably several meetings in the conference room) to make, before you see a release statement from one of the Jagex moderators.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Shouldn't you be writing a short paragraph to convince Jagex that they are human and it's alright to make and admit to their mistakes? They do show pretty well that they're acting like a company though, every decision seems to take a few days (and probably several meetings in the conference room) to make, before you see a release statement from one of the Jagex moderators.

And lose Tip.It's platinum status because one of the moderators questioned Jagex? What are you, nuts?

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Jagex may be human, but certainly not humane. Why do i say that? Well, firstly because of the way they communicate with their customers, which is less than satisfactory and seems a bit communistic in some ways. They avoid critisism and figure everything they do is always right, refusing to admit to mistakes or apologize for them. Secondly, as of around 2 years ago, they have stopped worrying about their customers as much and have resorted to make as much money as they can instead of thinking of the wellbeing of the game as a whole. The bans for serious offences have become overly lenient and offencive language is no longer something you can at all get banned for. Add in the reacent rise of autoers which jagex seems clueless about and you've got a pretty terrible overview for the future of the game. And i havn't even got to the part of future updates being leaked beforehand, shich is as terrible as it could get.

Jagex built their game by offering cheap and cheerful gameplay, with which they seem now to be whiping their ...'es with. Sure, it's the point of a company to make as much money as possible, but at what cost?

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

As I said, they are a business. Very few business' will straight out admit when they make a mistake. They have made a few mistakes in the past and admitted I am sure, but when something happens which goes drastically wrong, admitting it can do just as much if not more damage to them. Do not get me wrong, I agree with people that the rock boot update had no logical basis, however, as a general rule, do not expect them to make quick decisions and put out quick messages to the public, it is an unfounded expectation.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

To be honest, I don't see a reason to respect Jagex anymore.

I'm not a playing user nowdays, but if I were, I'd be frustrated at them on a large scale. They simply are not in touch with their userbase, they cannot admit mistakes (they even covered up for some mistakes with lies, which is preposterous), and they prove it time and again.

I do agree with some of your points though:

Jagex don't only make Runescape. If you have a problem with a Runescape update, you will usually blame Jagex, but it is not the whole of Jagex which deal with Runescape. Jagex have built various games which many people enjoy.

Many tend to blame Jagex as a whole, for mistakes done by much smaller parts of Jagex.

It is also true that many tend to just bash whoever says something in the favor of Jagex. Jagex did and does some very good things - Otherwise there wouldn't be that many players playing. They make mistakes, which makes me disrespect them, but they aren't a symbol of all that's bad and chaotic in the world, as some seem to suggest.

I can see where those that do respect them come from, it's not that cut and dry.

When looking at Runescape in general, they've made a fairly good game.

They've made a lot of controversial changes to the game, which I didn't mind: Trade limits, PvP-'ruining', activity in GoP. Not the most fun updates, but I didn't mind.

They've made faults (or there were bugs in the game) which were forgiven: 06/06/06 (aka Falador Massacre).

Recently, they've made some changes I don't agree with it all: Rock Climbing Boots. If they gave a good reason, I'd understand. Just... There's no good reason! It makes no sense, as someone said, it looks extremely fishy. If the screenshots are right, they lie: No one has over 1.8k of those boots? Wrong! So either they lie or they didn't investigate well enough (which shows poor dedication).

I understand they are a company, they need to make money, obviously. The free week is a smart move, but I can't help feeling they try to earn money by 'abusing' the ignorance of 13-year olds.

The fact that they are 20-30 year olds and not 40+ makes it even weirder for me. They are supposed to know about gaming. I can understand how 40-50+ understands less, but 20-30 grew up with it, didn't they?

In general, I respect the game, yet, there latest update was just too weird and the first time I've been displeased in a long time with an update.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

Yet, so frequently around this forum, people show this company no respect whatsoever and seem content that they are idiotic, stupid and may as well be blind and unable to use a computer.

Of course they are good coders and whatnot, but they're really poor in dealing with their community. They are so ignorant and arrogant from time to time. They're not nearly as great community-wise as, let's say, Bungie or Valve.

Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

I hate it when people moan and rage about little mistakes Jagex makes. Surely we all forget something or do something wrong sometimes. I, for example forgot to take tele runes today when I went to do daily gatherings.

I dont "like" Jagex as you would say, but I do respect them for making such an awesome game. The good sides of the game EASILY make up for the bad sides.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

I hate it when people moan and rage about little mistakes Jagex makes. Surely we all forget something or do something wrong sometimes. I, for example forgot to take tele runes today when I went to do daily gatherings.

"Little" mistakes caused by Jagex often lead to massive ingame bugs. The quality assurance is supposed to be there for a reason.

This complaining is precisely why I try to avoid the Runescape-themed boards here on Tip.It nowadays. It's just full of whiners complaining about things they don't understand.

I'd like to see one of YOU complainers be a QA for Jagex. Your life would be a living hell. You'd spend hours and hours testing out every little thing in this ridiculously complex game to make sure nothing messes up. Then you'll get [wagon] who spend their free time trying to break your game and point out every single obscure bug you might have missed. Then the players will notice and give their routine, "Ugh Jagex QA sucks how could they miss this bug it's like they don't even play their own game :rolleyes: " complaints and prepare themselves to whine about the next piece of content that comes out.

Jagex has earned my respect by dealing with its terrible fanbase and reputation in the gaming community and still trying to make the game the best they can make it. It's going to take a lot more than the silly climbing boots incident to make them lose that respect.

wl7w9j.png

I don't like JaGeX and I don't respect them. They've earned the hatred - havn't earned the respect.

Only reason I play is because I've been playing the game since I was 13 and I'm going to be 20 soon so I'm not starting a new game from scratch again, no time for it. Maybe I'll make my own game and wtfp0wn JaGeX down the sewer where their company belongs. :rolleyes: If only I actually knew how to make a video game...

I can name 0 good things JaGeX has ever done, and over 9000 things they've done stupidly and crappily.

"But Lep, what about Barrows armor?!" Thinking of the present, not the future. :rolleyes: Level 70 armor with the best stats in the game, wow, amazing. Been 10 years and still no armor at level 80. :rolleyes: Other games have equipment and have to increase limits and make new high level armor. :thumbup:

"Little" mistakes caused by Jagex often lead to massive ingame bugs. The quality assurance is supposed to be there for a reason.

Bugs that get exploited by people who plays the game just to find them and use them as his/her advantage.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

Yet, so frequently around this forum, people show this company no respect whatsoever and seem content that they are idiotic, stupid and may as well be blind and unable to use a computer.

Of course they are good coders and whatnot, but they're really poor in dealing with their community. They are so ignorant and arrogant from time to time. They're not nearly as great community-wise as, let's say, Bungie or Valve.

+1. Its not so much I wish for them to admit they made a mistake, we can already see that. Its more that Jagex is soooo out of touch. 6k xp is a "hefty" amount of xp? I don't think so. Level 90 combat is "high" level? Hardly. MA is a great mini game? Total BS.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I don't like JaGeX and I don't respect them. They've earned the hatred - havn't earned the respect.

Only reason I play is because I've been playing the game since I was 13 and I'm going to be 20 soon so I'm not starting a new game from scratch again, no time for it. Maybe I'll make my own game and wtfp0wn JaGeX down the sewer where their company belongs. :rolleyes: If only I actually knew how to make a video game...

I can name 0 good things JaGeX has ever done, and over 9000 things they've done stupidly and crappily.

"But Lep, what about Barrows armor?!" Thinking of the present, not the future. :rolleyes: Level 70 armor with the best stats in the game, wow, amazing. Been 10 years and still no armor at level 80. :rolleyes: Other games have equipment and have to increase limits and make new high level armor. :thumbup:

That is the exact problem. You are thinking of nobody but yourself and if that is how you think, you are no better than how you perceive them. You not having the willpower and strength to change game and quit is your problem and not theirs, if anything, it shows that they have made a game which has enough lasting appeal to do that.

You say they have earned no respect, but I have shown example reasons in which they do, and you have the tenacity to outright ignore them and do exactly what I would hope somebody of your age would be able to do, and that is to think.

And at least one thing they have done for you is create this game, and I can say without a doubt, at one time or another you enjoyed the game.

zqXeV.jpg

Respect has to be earnt, and it is a lot easier to lose it than it is to gain it. I lost a lot of respect for Jagex when they made the changes to rock climbing boots, I still think it was hypocritical of them to give away free money to lucky individuals. I enjoy the game and I like most of the updates that Jagex implement, but if they do something I don't like I'm perfectly entitled to say so.

Sums it up nicely enough for me.

-

Recently they built up a huge amount of respect or even likeability when it comes to making the game being fair and avoiding bugs or possible content braking updates. However even more recently they made a horrible mistake which they cannot admit to and thus lost a huge majority of respect that is alot harder to gain back.

Why bother preaching so loud the spirit of the game when its a bug but not when you going to give millions of free gp to people for no reason. Considering the fact that there are many other better alternatives.

Perhaps its too late to reverse now but its not too late to admit and possibly (due to being so late and stubborn) apologise. However its more important that they just admit to it and recognise what happened. It makes the 'spirit' possible to move on without so much bitter taste.

For me, I respect and like the company that Jagex was, but do not respect or like the company it is/has become. Just a few points I disagree with in the article

Fact: Jagex is a company which has grown from a nothing into a company which makes millions of pounds sterling per year and brings entertainment to a record breaking number of people around the world.

Fact: Jagex is a completely different company now compared to when it was a nothing. Daily activities are no longer overseen by Andrew Gower himself, but Mod MMG and his staff. The company has changed, and so have many peoples view of the company. Just because a company was great doesnt mean you have to respect was it has become.

As they are human, they can make mistakes. The best of us do it, the worst of us do it a lot. For the amount of updates Jagex have made over the 9 years of Runescape running, the number in which mistakes have been made is a very small minority.

The problem isnt that the make mistakes, its the fact that they dont admit their mistakes. Instead they defend them regardless of if they are right or wrong. Furthermore, although they have made a small number of mistakes in 9 years, the frequency of the mistakes is increasing. This is very frightening to players because it hints that the game/Jagex staff is going downhill.

All though Jagex does deal with games other than Runescape, Runescape is dealt with only by Jagex. Therefore if I have a problem with a Runescape update, the only company to blame is Jagex. What you said is like saying, The government isnt only in control of our national defense. So when a Russian nuke lands in my backyard I shouldnt blame the entire government. After all they have still done other things like deal with taxes, domestic affairs, foreign affairs, etc. But in fact it was the governments fault, and no one elses, that a nuke destroyed my backyard.

I urge you to stop and think next time you feel like an update has been wrong or something has annoyed you in-game and think more than 'omg i hate this'. Think about who something will benefit, who will use it, who will it disadvantage, what advantages will it give me, who will enjoy it?

Three words: Rock Climbing Boots

Soldin_911.png

I agree almost completely Dan, it's sad why some people are so over critical about things. Chances are you would probably have almost as much difficulty if not more than what Jagex has to deal with. What's even worse a lot of these people that dislike Jagex is because they don't get some amazing thing from every quest or update, Jagex doesn't do that and I enjoy it greatly.

vizardsig-1.png