Tip.It Times - 4th July 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

We are looking for Did You Know submissions. If you have any, or any guest articles, then PM them to me also :)

Enjoy the articles!

Edited by Racheya

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

A "Did you know" that I didn't know! Cool!

And that second article is something I completely agree with. I see way too many people just standing in a bank fletching endless maple/yew logs so they could get a 99 fletching cape. And they even admit it's not fun, but they "have" to do it. Why they "have" to? I'll never understand, but I always have fun when I play the game.

That camping idea is a great one, maybe I'll do a solo mission like the TV show "Survivorman" :razz:

Staurolite.png

Glad to see you back RSw44. Looking forward to reading great articles from you again.

As for your article, I see no problem in the free trial as different CEO obviously means a different set of organizational culture. While MMG is trying to focus on game play, he is still a CEO. Promoting free p2p trials to F2P players is perfectly fine in my books.

For article #2. I agree with you completely. After being a skiller for most of my RS life, I recently started going by what I call going with the flow. Only doing things I enjoy in the game. My overall ranking tumbled and my Dungeon ranks is all but a decaying corpse. But I've never had more fun than when I'm off Corp hunting with my friends, PvPing with my clan, and sometimes just idling in game chit chatting in my cc. RS after all is a MMO which means interplayer activities is a major part of the game. Of course fun differs for different people. I know many people who genuinely enjoys grinding skills or standing in w2 for merchanting. If that's what they enjoy then I say let them be.

120dgl.jpg

That camping idea is a great one, maybe I'll do a solo mission like the TV show "Survivorman" :razz:

I can totally see that as a machinima spoof that could be pretty entertaining.

As for the first article, i didnt even know that Jagex was offering a 7 day members trial. But if the Climbing boots update was put in place to kinda hide the members trial, lets hope that this months bts lives up to atleast some expectations and can overshadow the boots.

doogsidoof.png

Owner of a Quest cape since 9/11/08

tipit_grid2.png

It's not about the other people, its about shooting cute furry things that explode.

really enjoyed this weeks articiles.

Poor Poor bessy.

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

Studio1417, you should visit one of our TET events sometime. If you enjoy stuff like camping you might enjoy some of our events aswell. :thumbsup:

I used to go to events all last summer, but I've been busy preparing for my road test this summer. Between the two summers, very early Saturday morning and Saturday evening are not ideal timeslots. I'll go to a few more after I'm licensed.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I thoroughly enjoyed A Path Less Travelled, and i wish that more people on runescape would be willing to do these kinds of things, perhaps with players they don't know, as this would make things more interesting and give players who don't know anyone else that plays in their locale (like myself) a chance to develop friendships and partners for quests such as Shield Of Arrav and Heroes' Quest

The path less traveled i take is going around frustrating/annoying other players for fun.

IE.

Using ice barrage/burst at bandit camp/other muticombat training spots.

Using the teleother spells on people when they are in dangerous situations (when they are boss hunting, pvp worlds, ect)

Killing the unicorns people at SC like to cast stun on.

Casting wind strike while it splash on monsters like blue dragons to prevent others from killing it.

Using cannons at crowded places like blue drags.

Stealing other people's net trap spots.

Throwing snowballs at random people.

Burn logs in the formation of a swatsticka.

I could probably think of some more things i've done before.

Also, is there a trade limit on grey wolf furs?

The fictional article is all wrong. Players can't milk and attack the same cow. And Farmer Fred's farm is in Lumbridge, not Falador.

For shame!

For shame on you for not considering historical facts.

Before dairy cows were introduced, you could milk AND attack cows.

As for Farmer Fred: I have never seen a farmer wander around the farm by Falador. I know Farmer Fred's farm is in Lumbridge and not Falador. Doesn't mean that we can't have another farmer named Fred.:shame:

Excellent articles this week.

The fictional was short, but good, as it's coming from a rather unexpected point of view.

The article about fun in Runescape showed what this MMORPG really should be like. Unfortunately for me, I wouldn't think I have friends with whom I could do something like this. I'm not the most socializing type, and even if I do add someone to my friends list, conversation often dies quickly. The update to name changing gave the last push, and atm I'm stuck with two friends I chat with - one of them a rl one. Well, after I get 99 thieving I'll attempt to DIY for some time, I think that will be fun. We'll see.

And regarding the first article, I must say I'm rather shocked. I believed that the credit card was only for verification so no one could get multiple free memberships on different accounts - to prevent botters and rwters. I find it appaling that this system automatically signs you up as a member if you don't cancel it.

My personal theory is that Jagex is trying to make up lost money from Mechscape. I've seen several occasions for new attempts to get more money - the lobby, the price draws, the "summoning" pets as easter reward, now this free trial, also the advert for the kingdom keeper books/game and banning game adverts from supported fansites.

What really makes me angry is that we don't get an official statement for it - this may be obvious as we only get to talk to CM mods and these don't have the admission to give an honest answer to the question (more than: "We are a company, we need to make money")

In my eyes, this is probably the most worrisome development in Jagex's behaviour for the last months.

And regarding the first article, I must say I'm rather shocked. I believed that the credit card was only for verification so no one could get multiple free memberships on different accounts - to prevent botters and rwters. I find it appaling that this system automatically signs you up as a member if you don't cancel it.

Really? It's not as if it's a surprise. Have you ever heard of a service giving a 7-day free trial that requires a credit card and doesn't auto-renew? It's not exactly fine print either. It's right at the top of the page.

membershiptrial.png

Really? It's not as if it's a surprise. Have you ever heard of a service giving a 7-day free trial that requires a credit card and doesn't auto-renew? It's not exactly fine print either. It's right at the top of the page.

membershiptrial.png

I can't remember, but the 3 separate 1-month xbox live memberships don't auto renew. But you do have to create 3 different gamertags.

Staurolite.png

Not to mention that we all know MMG is a grasping toad anyway - broken promises and the like simply cannot surprise me anymore under Jagex's current leadership...

I wish I had friends like the author and the author's in article #2. I often end up [bleep]ing around by myself if at all these days. Even in the golden era I only had a few friends who played (as opposed to "ground") and even they became less and less inclined to an adventure rather than bore themselves as time went on. Now I have at best one or two, both subject to low availability.

For shame! For I have been to every corner of RuneScape, and stepped on every square, and learned every dark secret, and there is nothing left for me to explore. And yet I would enjoy retracing every one of my steps if only I had companionship.

2dgucz6.png

I did what article #2 tried to get across for the majority of my rs life. People need to realise that everything in runescape is wasting time. You can grind 100k exp or run around doing the dance emote for 30 minutes, you will be wasting time whichever one you do. Just do whichever one is more fun.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

membershiptrial.png

It's obvious that the information for cancelling must be somewhere lol. They have to inform about it, and Jagex surely isn't the type to base money gain on deceiving people. Still, I don't like it. And it would be completely logical to me to require a credit card for verification only. I don't see why not. Just because other games do so, it doesn't mean jagex has to do the same thing.

Camping one was well written, but once again assumed that all players have "fun", or don't have fun doing the same thing, or so it seemed. Some of use really do like getting fast xp, making fast gp, or going for a high level. For me, your camping idea would be insanely boring, but that is just IMO. I don't play RuneScape the same way I play Call of Duty mulitplayer, or Mariokart with my siblings.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I was about to write something similar to what Stonewall wrote. The writer assumes all player behave in the same way he is, which is the flaw of his article. In principle though, to remind people that this is a game and is meant to have fun, the article reaches its goal.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Ye and 150 gp isn't all that great. Thats only 4200 GP per invy, and that isn't factoring in the cost to buy the fur in the first place.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]