Slayer Points

theonly101

Couple Questions:

I just started slaying again since im now 98 range and plan to get to 99 range with a focus sight. I've already started and have around 60 points with like a 9 tasks in a row. I have never used the point system but what is the best to purchase points with? Is it good to get the 10k slayer xp for 400 points?

If you plan on doing slayer for awhile first thing you need to get is the ability to make a slayer helm, then make it into a full helm (hopefully). After you buy the black mask, hexcrest, and focus sight your be getting 15% boost for attack, strength, magic and range so whatever style you use. It'll payoff the sooner you get it thats for sure.

Please Visit my Blog!

sig.jpg

- Experienced Monster Hunter - Forced Retirement Staker - Privite Chat is always ON -

1 Draconic Visage 26 Dragon Drops 1 GWD Drops 17 DK Drops 13 Coinshared Items

Buying slayer exp is a huge waste of money for the amount of time slaying it would save you (maybe 20 mins). After you have unlocked slayer helm, ring, broad bolt fletching if you want. And have enough to block/cancel tasks if you want to. Spend your extra points on slayer dart casts, makes a ton of money after you slay a while.

superway26.png

The slayer xp for the points is horribly imbalanced and not worth it at all. Most of the things that would be worth getting are slayer helmet, slayer rings, autokill and task blocking, when you have already maxed those out it makes sence to use the points whenever you don't feel like doing a certain task- it might sound stupid, but if you are doing a task you don't like too much while not being in the mood to train the skill, it slows you down considerbly, or you could use the points to fill a day or two with your favorite tasks in order to get nice xp and drops(i for example did 2 whole days with only ice strykewyrms and abyssals on 2.4k points). Ofcource, you also have the option to trade 35 points for 100k in runes(250 slayer dart) but i'd say it's not really worth it(in terms or trying to make money or gain slayer xp).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

The slayer xp for the points is horribly imbalanced and not worth it at all. Most of the things that would be worth getting are slayer helmet, slayer rings, autokill and task blocking, when you have already maxed those out it makes sence to use the points whenever you don't feel like doing a certain task- it might sound stupid, but if you are doing a task you don't like too much while not being in the mood to train the skill, it slows you down considerbly, or you could use the points to fill a day or two with your favorite tasks in order to get nice xp and drops(i for example did 2 whole days with only ice strykewyrms and abyssals on 2.4k points). Ofcource, you also have the option to trade 35 points for 100k in runes(250 slayer dart) but i'd say it's not really worth it(in terms or trying to make money or gain slayer xp).

This is what I do. I used to turn my points in for runes, but I found that being able to cancel tasks for things I like made slayer much more fun. I got tons of magic experience in a very short time because I'd cancel everything that wasn't ice wyrms.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Unlock the sayer helm ASAP

Unless you use Summona, I really wouldn't bother with slayer rings, I haven't unlocked the ability to make them.

Fletching broad bolts is a good daily, so unlock that

Finishing Blows makes tasks like gargoyles a lot less of a hassle

Also use points to perm cancle those tasks you just can't stand

After that, use points to buy slayer dart spells or cancle tasks. I usually let my slayer points add up, then just spend a bunch on runes, leaving about 500 points for cancling

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Unlock the sayer helm ASAP

Unless you use Summona, I really wouldn't bother with slayer rings, I haven't unlocked the ability to make them.

Fletching broad bolts is a good daily, so unlock that

Finishing Blows makes tasks like gargoyles a lot less of a hassle

Also use points to perm cancle those tasks you just can't stand

After that, use points to buy slayer dart spells or cancle tasks. I usually let my slayer points add up, then just spend a bunch on runes, leaving about 500 points for cancling

Slayer rings are very useful for quick fairy ring access and getting to the slayer well quickly. I unlocked them second back when Smoking Kills first came out.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

glory edgeville works fine for fairy ring, and there's only one task in the Well I do, I've only needed to buy a total of 3 rings with slayer points

The ring also helps with clues in the desert. Getting to the cat-doored pyramid and Nardah is much quicker if you can just teleport to Pollniveach.

99 HP, Attack, Strength, Defence, Summoning, Ranged, Herblore, Prayer, Agility, Magic, Slayer, Fletching, Fishing, Woodcutting, Mining, and Thieving.

Jagex'd out of my untrimmed hp cape on 6/14/2011.

glory edgeville works fine for fairy ring, and there's only one task in the Well I do, I've only needed to buy a total of 3 rings with slayer points

The ring also helps with clues in the desert. Getting to the cat-doored pyramid and Nardah is much quicker if you can just teleport to Pollniveach.

Pharaoh's Sceptre? :rolleyes:

Sorry that I don't find slayer rings as usefull as everyone else

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

1. Buy ability to make slayer helm

2. Buy ability to make rings or if you do your tasks mostly ranged purchase the ability to make barbed bolts.

3. Save around 200 points so you can cancell and remove tasks, use the other points to buy runes for slayer dart, you'll be surprised how much that will net you :D

Ps: Use knives/darts in kuradels dungeon.

jupjup.png[~Visit my Slayer Blog~]jup.png

rvedit2.png

Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.~unknown~

The Ring is the single most useful item. Looking back, I should've gotten the helm last.

First and foremost, you should block the 5 tasks which are slowest. This optimizes the rate you gets points in the future and boosts your average slayer xp/hr as well. Best option.

Second, get the ring. It's the closest teleport to a Fairy Ring (yes, you can glory, but that's is more than 10 times slower). It's amazing desert access without having to constantly recharge that darn sceptre (which takes you nowhere useful. Polly is right in the middle of the desert, while Soph is...nowhere). The Slayer Tower teleport is extremely effective to getting into Canafis for those without Kharyll teleport. The teleport to Tarn's Lair won't be used very much, but can save a good 15-30 minutes when getting Salve amulets (e) back. Finally, for those people who buy broad bolts unf from slayer masters daily, the ring is, of course, the best way to get there.

LAST, get the helm. Yes, it's an amazing helm and I'm more than glad that I got it. However, it's really nothing too important. You'll use it for dust devils and ab specs and thats it (if you are using the Canafis master + best master way of getting points, which you should be doing if you don't have these 3 unlocked, anything else will ultimately slow you down). Banshees are quick enough in the slayer tower already that you don't need the boost. Dust devils will be slower, but you can of course always just cancel that task. For ab specs, you can use a salve ammy (e) over a fury and really lose very little offensive capability.

Buying the ability for finishing blows, imo, is not worth it. It costs 1m in slayer dart runes that you could've had and it's a mere convenience. In fact, since you can KO monsters with your manual finishing blow BEFORE they reach 0lp, buying the ability might actually slow you down. If you're a lazy person who likes to chill out while slaying, or you like to "afk" while slaying, or had a bad internet connection, then ok, buy the ability. But if you pay any sort of attention while slaying, it's not worth it.

Buying the ability to have Kuradal assign you Aquanites is not worth it. Aquanites are a slow, fairly difficult, and not very rewarding task. I took them off my block list only because Kuradal can't assign them to you if you don't buy the ability.

Zaap, i don't really understand your strong positions on a number of things that aren't commonly accepted or usually the best at all. Firstly, slayer rings aren't that useful, but it's not as though they cost anything either, so it's surely worth it to buy the ability. I use my slayer rings only to acces slayer caves, ice strykewyrms, terror dogs and specters, which is only 4 tasks, 3 if you don't like aquanites- which actually aren't that terible at all if you use range/stab weapon(like zs or cr) with quite a nice droplist. Blocking tasks isn't always the first thing you should do as it takes quite some time figuring out the tasks that you don't like(as i doubt there are too many people with exactly the same list). The helmet is actually the first thing worth getting nowadays as it combines all the slayer equipment to use with useful defencive stats and alot of conveniance. Cannoning specters would be impossible without it. Yet again, you seem to overvalue the amount of slayer points you would get and the comveniance you gain in using them- money can be made in hundreds of ways much faster than slayer points, but the points can only be gotten in one way. Killing blows for me atleast was one of the most welcome additions for slayer as i returned to it as it makes gargoyles much more bearable. Unless you are going to block gargoyles, it is certainly worth getthing the ability. The ability makes the task faster no matter how focused you can be, and the extra focus will slow you down in the long run.

:oops:

When you assemble a slayer helm for the first time, do you need a fully charged Black Mask? Or does it matter at all if the mask is actually charged or not.

It has to be uncharged. Back when I used charged masks, it didn't take too long before it used them all. I stuck with the slayer helm, then upgrade to full helm. I don't buy xp since it seems like you're spending much more than you're earning with it. Mainly I save to cancel annoying tasks and buy slayer darts. I rarely buy rings.

aporia.png

95/99 Summoning

95/99 Slayer

[hide=This is what you look like when you play RS too long]2vvq0z4.jpg[/hide]

Zaap, i don't really understand your strong positions on a number of things that aren't commonly accepted or usually the best at all. Firstly, slayer rings aren't that useful, but it's not as though they cost anything either, so it's surely worth it to buy the ability. I use my slayer rings only to acces slayer caves, ice strykewyrms, terror dogs and specters, which is only 4 tasks, 3 if you don't like aquanites- which actually aren't that terible at all if you use range/stab weapon(like zs or cr) with quite a nice droplist. Blocking tasks isn't always the first thing you should do as it takes quite some time figuring out the tasks that you don't like(as i doubt there are too many people with exactly the same list). The helmet is actually the first thing worth getting nowadays as it combines all the slayer equipment to use with useful defencive stats and alot of conveniance. Cannoning specters would be impossible without it. Yet again, you seem to overvalue the amount of slayer points you would get and the comveniance you gain in using them- money can be made in hundreds of ways much faster than slayer points, but the points can only be gotten in one way. Killing blows for me atleast was one of the most welcome additions for slayer as i returned to it as it makes gargoyles much more bearable. Unless you are going to block gargoyles, it is certainly worth getthing the ability. The ability makes the task faster no matter how focused you can be, and the extra focus will slow you down in the long run.

First off, until you have everything you wanted unlocked, the best way to slay is canafis + best master, as it will unlock everything the fastest and thus save you the most time in the long run. So I only considered that method when writing my post. If you were to use that method, the only tasks you need the helm for a dusties and ab specs (from when you use your best master), and as I mentioned before, those are easily taken care of. Thus, getting the helm is low priority when you are slaying for points, as you should be when you first start out the points system.

Also, I block tasks which are the slowest, and since I'm talking about the most EFFICIENT path to take, that's what matters here. There is a list on Zarfot's slayer guide (not going to dig it out now, but just saying it's there) with the xp rates of all the slayer tasks. What you can do is simply block the lowest 5 which you can be assigned when you get them. You are instantly more efficient at slayer, which will allow you to get both points and xp quicker. Therefore, blocking the 5 slowest (note I'm not saying your 5 least enjoyable, 5 SLOWEST, no personal opinion required) tasks is of the highest priority since it will make everything else easier. It's sort of like training agility before you train runecrafting, so what you did before will benefit what you are about to do.

Cannon ab specs is NOT impossible without the helm. The smoke cannot KO you, so although you'll be at 1hp the entire time, that shouldn't matter since you are praying mage. High risk? Yes. Impossible? No. Difficult? No. I never let my prayer run out on task anyway, so the helm doesn't really matter (apart from the range bonus it gives the cannon, but it's accurate enough already and it doesn't increase max hit).

And when I value points, I value it with what you could get with runes. The focus required really isn't very much. What's really required? When you click to attack the gargolye, simple right-click it after you attack. Then, when you anticipate you taking it down to low health (within 70lp, you don't even have to get it 0 first), press "smash" on the menu that you've had opened this entire time. Very little required, you just have to look at the screen. Of course, since you are anticipating, you might not get it down to low health, so your smash will do nothing. However, if you get into the habit of left-clicking to attack immediately after you click smash, you actually waste no rounds of combat. Thus, with a minimal and non-degrading, as you suggest, focus investment, you can completely nullify and perhaps make obsolete the benefits of the agility. As I said before, this is assuming you are willing to invest the focus, and are capable to invest the focus.

It has to be uncharged. Back when I used charged masks, it didn't take too long before it used them all. I stuck with the slayer helm, then upgrade to full helm.

Thanks for answering my question.

Just thought that I'd add to the conversation and say that I bought the ability to fletch broad bolts first, since I usually range most of my tasks, and that I'm going to buy the slayer helm next.

Not sure if it was the best decision, but I figured I'd save more money by fletching my own. It's about half the price cheaper than buying the full-made bolts off the GE, I believe.

Armadyl_721.png

Personally, I don't think I'm overvaluing the Ring at all, since it is just so useful to me. I highly recommend you get it for yourself and try it, I use it every day. It is a huge help when doing anything like Penguins, etc. I would not hesitate to get them first.

And yes, I'm undervaluing the Helm. That's because until you get everything you want out of the system, you should be using the Canafis master and hopping to Duradal/Kuradal/Sumona every 10th task. That gets you the fastest points. So yes, if you were to just use Kuradal/Duradel/Sumona for slayer, Helm first. But that's an inefficient way of getting points, and when you start out slaying for points, you want to get points ASAP so you can get the helm, ring, blocked tasks, whatever else you want.

zaap, i can guarentee that 99% of the people don't have the 5 slowest tasks blocked, as we can all see the top efficency guys doing mithril dragons, which are clearly the slowest task there is, so blocking 5 slowest tasks is not only inefficent but often something that would be extremely hard to determine(for the record, looking at the zarfot's guide slayer xp rates, none of them even remotely implies to me anymore). Also i don't really see the point in slaying specifically for points as it's not really the point of slaying. Most of the abilities afforded by the points don't significally change the way you would normally slay, and using the points on runes slows down slayer xp and likely loses you money in terms of having more of the tasks that earn more money.

zaap, i can guarentee that 99% of the people don't have the 5 slowest tasks blocked, as we can all see the top efficency guys doing mithril dragons, which are clearly the slowest task there is, so blocking 5 slowest tasks is not only inefficent but often something that would be extremely hard to determine(for the record, looking at the zarfot's guide slayer xp rates, none of them even remotely implies to me anymore). Also i don't really see the point in slaying specifically for points as it's not really the point of slaying. Most of the abilities afforded by the points don't significally change the way you would normally slay, and using the points on runes slows down slayer xp and likely loses you money in terms of having more of the tasks that earn more money.

I don't think you're getting it. You're using high-point method only until you have everything you want unlocked. THEN switch to the high-xp method.

And mithril dragons are such an amazingly short task, it's not worth the points to block them. Steel dragons, on the other hand... I also don't see where you're getting "blocking 5 worst tasks = inefficient" from. Maybe the blocking them isn't the best thing to do, but it surely isn't inefficient.

On the xp list, even if they aren't the most up-to-date methods, the hierarchy remains the same. Just because you're using Overloads instead of super sets, doesn't mean greater demons are suddenly going to become better than dagannoth.