Blizzard to require real names for forums

stonewall337

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many things wrong with this.

1. You can say they know your real name by debit card, but what if you buy a subscription with one of those prepaid cards?

2. Real names isn't going to stop me from flaming or trolling someone?

3. 4chan is going to post so many blizzard kids real names and facebooks and stuff its not going to be funny.

Blizzard sucks and they'll keep sucking.

61,358th to 99 range on May 23rd, 2010.

100,927th to 99 def on February 13th, 2011.

pigeons.png

Relics.png

I'm rather upset at this.

I mean, I'm Time Kitten, everyone knows that.

Then they'll be all, "Who's this Kate Zuhal*?"

And then worse? The other Kate Zuhal* will be there, trolling on the forums, and I'll get no end of grief for that.

*Names have been changed ever so slightly to protect the guilty

At least with usernames it's harder to have two the same. Blizzard kind of messed that up when it let you post as characters that are named by server rather than global tough already.

And of course, previous poster states: by credit card name. Well, the majority of those trolls are using their mom's debit cards for this, aren't they?

c0a129271278475206.jpg

Besides. I not sure how this effects adults who pay for their kids but im guessing it would show their I.D which is kinda stupid. Cant show a childs I.D either way im sure.

I dont think it should be allowed on blizzard, nor do I think jagex should do it. I also dont think it makes a difference besides seeming wrong to do.

=D>

And yes, this is opening up a huge can of worms. People are already so gung-[garden tool] on RS that they are willing to break real life laws by DDoS attacking other players. What happens when you obtain someone's RL info? You've all probably seen or heard what 4chan is capable of. Many RSers are also 4channers. This spells nothing but trouble.

td2sig.jpg

From my experiences of living on /b/, people can and will find ways to know who you are, somebody posted 1 picture, challenging /b/, and somebody found almost every type of personal information, school, name, email, Facebook, address, etc. This is just asking for trouble, hopefully they figure out "this is a pretty bad idea".

vizardsig-1.png

I have nothing to hide so would not bother me too much.

It would only take one crazy psychotic morron to make you wish you had hidden... in a bomb proof building.

Yes, and someone with a grudge against, say, BLIZZARD, may decide to "prove" why putting out personal info was a bad idea...

All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)

Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs

Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

I use a penname when I know it's something I will only use temporary or not that public. Like Magazine subscription and one bank account.

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

This reminds me of the guy who owned the identity theft prevention company and was so confident he put his social security number on the side of a truck in New York. Some 16 year old kid cleared his bank accounts in less than 6 weeks. Not that this is that extreme.

People kind find anything out about anyone, the internet is a scary place.

clansig7.gif

This reminds me of the guy who owned the identity theft prevention company and was so confident he put his social security number on the side of a truck in New York. Some 16 year old kid cleared his bank accounts in less than 6 weeks. Not that this is that extreme.

People kind find anything out about anyone, the internet is a scary place.

They should just put people who do these kind of things into a quick-law practice. It is illegal to post about others privacy matters without the other giving explicit allowance! It is time to put an end to these practices, and it shouldn't be too hard. (For example 4chan knows the IP, of the offender, they also know the ISP & datetime, now that ISP can link the combination of datetime + IP to a specific household.) With quick-law these matters should be taken care of in 2 weeks. (And for offending someone's privacy one could claim up to $100 000 depending on the damage done and removability).

Webmasters who don't work together with searching to those offenders should be put on a blacklist, so they're inaccessible.

It is time the goverment stops sidelining when it comes to the internet and actively participates, since the internet IS a public domain!

As for someone taking omething like a pk to serious:

Well they should be taken into a hospital, it's sick if you get so angry over a game!

Also they could just do like is done for hooligans in soccer: a lifetime prohibition to watch any match. - So a simple lifetime prohibition to play any MMORPG!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

This is a bad idea.

... wow master of arguments I see..

You know another forum I'm at, gamedev.net requires you to show these information (along with education, and location you live) for a long time already.. Nobody had any problem with it ever.. (It only worked in positive way since people could ACTUALLY contact each other)

Then they came for me

This is a bad idea.

It's not that i don't have arguments, it's just that i don't bother to tell them. Now [bleep] off, and go debate with someone in this topic that can bother to lay down arguments on your ass.

You know another forum I'm at, gamedev.net requires you to show these information (along with education, and location you live) for a long time already.. Nobody had any problem with it ever.. (It only worked in positive way since people could ACTUALLY contact each other)

Maybe no one cared because no one has heard of this forum.

O.O

This is a bad idea.

It's not that i don't have arguments, it's just that i don't bother to tell them. Now [bleep] off, and go debate with someone in this topic that can bother to lay down arguments on your ass.

^on blizzard forums that could turn into a real fist fight :roll:

Edited by sammyboy894
ChosenZamrok.png

This is a bad idea.

Fists are good arguments...

I would just avoid such forums. Btw my real name is Bi Jay (according to my battle.net acc).

[404] Signature not found.

I have nothing to hide so would not bother me too much.

Neither do I. I wouldn't like others in the future knowing though, EG future employers, etc. That is my main issue.

Unfortunatly you do, your life which is the whole issue.

Besides even if you don't have a life to risk don't forget that it doesn't changes the fact that your still a potential victem.

I must admit as soon as i have the means to find out where a person lives that has bothered me for the past couple of days (you don't even need to steal my gold) i will pay that person a visit :D

I am David D Davidson, prove im not

Your debit card.

I kind of like the idea, an MMO isn't a private thing it's a PUBLIC thing. The internet is public and if you can't handle that, it's tough. If you don't want people to know who you really are when you spam, the solution is simply not to spam.

I would like that to come to the RS forums. It's not like they'd put your full name in view, it'd be just used for authentication I'd say. At least that's how I'd prefer to have it.

The internet is public but privacy should always be respected, if not then it's only a matter of time before the enivitable happens.

And it's not only about spamming anything is a good enough reason for a psycho to rob you from your life.

Even when you totally didn't see it coming you might get sliced or confronted with that noob you met yesterday.

I really wonder what Blizzard is trying to achieve with this, like i already said i'd be more than happy to pay that jerk 'TheRealQuahog2453" a visit if i know where he lives.

Why wouldn't i? I have a problem with the fact that he's having a problem with me.

I'm not talking about robbing his life, maybe settle it with a few fists or just words but the point is it will suddenly get <9000 times easier to find someone and if you really got nothing else to do besides playing WoW all day you might as well go outside and visit a friend XD.

jupjup.png[~Visit my Slayer Blog~]jup.png

rvedit2.png

Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.~unknown~

[hide]

This is a bad idea.

Fists are good arguments...

I would just avoid such forums. Btw my real name is Bi Jay (according to my battle.net acc).

[/hide]

Not for keyboard warriors :^_^:

EDIT: now im just trollin'. If any forum i used started doing that i would just leave. Simple as that.

ChosenZamrok.png

Although I'm not active in many dev-related forums, the many that I've seen from searching for solutions seem to have this quite a lot. I suppose it could be a bit of a different story as, well, these programming / development related forums will be a lot less prone to having troll-like figures and immature kids causing less havoc alongside the sharing of information.

It's also true that it's much easier to see the negative-results of having a feature like this in news stories / blog-posts etc, whereas actually seeing positive outcomes is quite difficult to monitor and actually show.

I really think it depends on the category of the forums, general maturity of users etc. For me, that rules out Runescape's Forums but others it could be a positive step. ;)

Maybe no one cared because no one has heard of this forum.

ROFL.. you know that forum probably has more members than runescape has.. And for sure a better reputation (they are often the place important articles about programming/game design are published).. Maybe you don't know about it, but that shows more about your knowledge than about that forum

I think these things actually IMPROVE the maturity of a forum. People are less inclined to troll if they know that they might actually commit a crime which is prosecuted! Of course they are not the only reason for immaturity at gaming communities, but they play an important part

in it.

Then they came for me