Before Jagex increases the level caps to 120 ...

Lugia_Lvl138

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if they dont raise more skills to 120 then ill probably quit in the future, after you max you might as well quit

but this 120 idea gives hope

no reaaaaason to quit after maxing@@@@

still good to talk to friends+play how u want.

StarViv.png

Personally I think the only skill that will be raised is Constitution.

I would love that, a reason to train combat again. It would take ages to get 120 hits. It would keep me busy for ages.

Fools_Taco.png

I've got to say that I am spectacularly anti raising level caps to 120. Two major reasons: 1) pure self interest, 2) it's "unhealthy". (CAUTION: LONG!!)

I'll take them in reverse order. McDonalds could release a double double battered, deep fried triple cheese 4000 kcal greasemonster uber burger topped with quintuple bacon, jalapenos, mozzarella, chorizo, salami, double sausage, coupled with "your own body weight" sized triple cooked fries and 2L pure lard shake meal that instantly gave you the cholesterol level of a 400lb 55 year old shut in and the BMI of a block of flats. They could do it and dammit it would sell (hell even I'm thinking about it), but should they do it? Obviously given their current marketing push (salads and the like) they've read the market and realised that, although people love a burger, there is a distinct social push towards healthier lifestyles, even though waistlines are increasing geometrically across the world! There is an awesome amount of calories available on their menu. Yummy, yummy calories. However McDonalds have realised that, despite increasing western lardiness, more of their customer base (and potential customer base) want a coffee and a salad or a relatively low calorie lunch rather than a heart stopping quantity of fat and calories.

The same goes for Jagex. There is an awesome amount of content in RS. raising more lvl caps to 120 is just like making the burger above. It encourages more people to stay inside, sat on their spreading behinds playing games endlessly, which, whilst fine up to a point (even a very large point) has its drawbacks. How does it encourage this you ask? Well it sets up a very effective arms race. Forget about racing up the highscores, the hardcore few will always try to be number one/go for completion, think of the casual gamer. There are vastly more casual gamers than hard core gamers. There are 2 million spot on the highscores and less than 1% of them are filled with maxed accounts (maxed prior to dungeoneering I mean). >99% of the Jagex's market is not going to fit into the hardcore model that is, to be blunt, heavily over represented here on Tip.it and the RSOF. Now that's not a bad thing, but as people have noted, there are many gaps in the current game that need filling (and filling well) before we get to >99 in any skill. And let's also not forget that no one yet has 200m in all skills, so for the number chasers there are those goals to go for.

Now where was I? Oh yes, arms races. Look at herblore. When untradeable high lvl pots came out what happened? Herb prices soared (not a bad or good thing necessarily) as people raced to the high herb lvls. Don't get me wrong, I like the goal, I'm merely describing the shift in herb prices as a concrete symptom of an arms race. Suddenly people had to get those lvls just to compete in relatively simple aspects of the game like pvp (or even just improve their pvm performance). Raising the level caps would force this sort of race, people would have to have vastly higher skills just to compete in relatively simple aspects of the game. Quests with >99 reqs, pvp content etc etc. It puts a massive time burden on an already heavily burdened player base. Taking Jagex at its word, the full game has >25000 hours of content. That's just under 3 years solid playing. Let's say 3 years (factoring in a learning curve and errors etc) for easy numbers. Very, very few people are going to dedicate that quantity of time to a game. It's fine for them to do so, that's their choice, I make no judgement about it other than to say that it is a big time commitment, even spread over the decade or so that Jagex has been running RS.

Up the level caps to 120, do the lot. Never add another skill, no more updates of any kind (other than the content that fills all skills to 120) and you have increased the commitment hugely. Just using rough numbers a 99 is 13m xp, 25 of them is 325m xp. A 120 is 104m (I think, cba to look it up) which gives us 2600m xp for all 25 skills. That's 8 times what it takes for all skills to 99. Now I know that's very back of the envelope, and doesn't include dung at 120, but I am trying to give an idea of scale, not absolute accuracy. This raises the amount of content in RS (if you call continually grinding numbers "content") to a minimum of about 24 years. Let's be really generous and factor in training efficiency increases, and multiply by 4 instead of 8. 12 years content. 12 years sat on your behind tweaking numbers on a screen. That's McDonalds catering to the uber calorie burger market, fine for those that want that but it is a minority of the market. (Those people can also already buy two normal burgers, or three or 200 million, just like the current 200 mill xp caps offer players, if they want to)

RS is a Massively Multiplayer ROLE PLAYING GAME. As an old fashioned old git who played paper/pencil/dice rpgs, the purpose was not to have some uber maxed character, that was a consequence of play. The purpose was to explore exciting fantasy realms and to actually play roles. That's where the questing and dungeoneering element of RS do so well. Granted it's not for everyone, but that is the purpose of an rpg. Increased level caps dilute that purpose, shifting the emphasis to level chasing for little reward. Sure this game needs higher level content, but it takes little more than imagination to provide it, increasing the level caps isn't the solution. A Dragonkin quest that allows smithing of dragon metal at lvl 90 smith, but requires you to do the equivalent of "swap spellbooks", you can't mine/smith normal metals and have other disadvantages while making dragon metal for example. No need to make 120 smithing. Constitution items that raise the lvl but impact strength perhaps, no need for 120 constitution. Another combat skill (only adds ~13m xp rather than 91m xp) that raises the combat lvl to 150 (12 lvls) and allows for faster hits/greater hit dodging. How about something I've suggested before elsewhere: composite skills. Add content to high lvl skills but require other high lvl skills to use it, tempering metal requiring herblore and crafting, allowing better smithing of metals. Making better potions by crafting and constructing distillation apparatus. Cutting special, rare trees that can only be found by hunting the weird bugs that eat them and setting them on fire, then using the wood from those trees in special arrows and bows or witchwood battlestaves....

So what Jagex needs to do is diversify it's menu, provide more salads, a few paninis, some different burgers, a nice baguette, maybe even some fusion cuisine just like McDonalds have done. Leaping straight for the uber burger approach to satisfy a number hungry few detracts from what makes an rpg worth playing, it encourages arms races that sap time and effort and oush the average amount of effort a player needs to put in just to play an average game up enormously, and thus it discourages the majority of players, i.e. the comparatively casual. That's millions of people. Millions of monthly subs in the bank. Bad move. So I mean "unhealthy" not just for the player flattening, widening backsides (that's really their problem) but "unhealthy" for Jagex's bottom line.

And now for the self interest part: my levels suck massively now, they would suck 8 fold more if all the lvl caps changed! (Ok so I'm not actually that serious about the self interest part. I really do think lvl cap increases are a stupid way to increase high lvl content)

Sorry for the tl:dr

Louis_Redux.png

All skills 70+ again 16/06/2010

Oh yeah, and ai realise that not all the level caps have to change, but I am arguing against any lvl cap changes. There are better ways to add content without making huge xp increases required for good content. The example of all lvl caps changing is just the easiest exampl to use because it gives an idea of scale better.

Louis_Redux.png

I respect your opinion but i think you're wrong on your main point.

We have euro deals here, 1 euro for a cheeseburger, i ate so many i got diseased (IBM), So my point is that it doesn't really matter how you would change things if you would change things because most people know what they want for themselves.

I highly doubt it's the quest of every runescapian to get maxed in all skills so i highly doubt raising all skills to 120 would encourage more people to stay indoors.

For instance my quest is to spend time in a way i enjoy it the most (when i have time to spend)

I have a few options to choose from:

Watch a movie (making/having more movies won't encourage me to stay indoors longer)

Play some xbox (making/having more games won't encourage me to stay indoors longer)

Play some rs (adding more content or skills to RS won't encourage me to stay indoors longer, that new content might aswell be raising the skills to lv 120, Dungeoneering anyone? Get my point?)

Besides: RS isn't an mmorpg like you just said, RS is an mmo, get your facts right next time or feel my fist up your [cabbage]ter :D

I stopped after reading "the purpose" because on the line below it i read "roles", like i just said there's no roles in RS you can be a meleerangemagicianfishcookinglogburningdungeoneer if you wish.

jupjup.png[~Visit my Slayer Blog~]jup.png

rvedit2.png

Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.~unknown~

Besides: RS isn't an mmorpg like you just said, RS is an mmo, get your facts right next time or feel my fist up your [cabbage]ter :D

I stopped after reading "the purpose" because on the line below it i read "roles", like i just said there's no roles in RS you can be a meleerangemagicianfishcookinglogburningdungeoneer if you wish.

Runescape is an MMORPG, stop talking out your ass.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

And to be frank, my serious point isn't really that people will spend more time inside, that was kind of a joke. Sorry if that didn't come across.

The serious point is I think that lvl cap raises are a bad business decision. More players play casually (where "causally" = not chasing all 99s etc), more money is to be made from this greater number of players (who are also endlessly recycling by old people leaving and new people coming in), so providing goals that are actually reasonably acheivable by these players AND that satisfy the needs of the high lvl players is a good business decision. Raising lvl caps doesn't do this. Higher lvl caps only appease a subset of a minority of players (i.e. those high lvl players who also chase high xp etc, so playing to grind as opposed to playing to access different content), it disencourages casual players by making even less reasonably acheivable goals*, and it causes an inevitable "arms race" which raises the average levels a player needs to have to play the majority of content (and even all of some content, see for example herblore and pvp).

*Before the "oh you just want it easy" whiners show up: RS is a game. Your 99 is forever earned, nothing can take that away from you. The "easy" argument is a stupid one. As a game ages more people will inevitably reach high lvls, more people doesn't dilute your acheivement. If you climbed Everest without oxygen tanks then that's what you did no one can take that away from you. If someone else climbs Everest with oxygen then that's what they did, the end acheivement is the same but you had the harder route to it. Satisfy your tiny, precious, fragile ego with that. If a thousand people climb Everest with or without oxygen tanks none of this changes the fact that you climbed Everest. If the only point of you climbing Everest was so people would look at you and get all moist and fluffy, then you missed the point of climbing Everest and to be blunt are so needy that I recommend therapy. Currently RS takes a good deal of time (like I said above, ~3 years, non stop to complete, going by Jagex's own numbers) 3 years of 24 hours is a serious time investment. More than a degree, so think about it. If content is what is needed, as opposed to ego massaging numbers for an insecure few, then there are far better ways to deliver it.

Louis_Redux.png

The people who don't want the caps raised are mostly selfish, the others are the ones who think they should fill out content first. I agree with the later. I however do believe it would be cool to raise the cap and introduce skill mastery capes and a benefit other than a cape for being level 120. I'm 103 fishing though so that probably helps my decision.

Low_C.png

It seems like a lot of 99s already give nearly "super-human" abilities, so I don't even know what 120s would do...

It is undeniable that the focus of the game is combat, and that all skills support combat (or support skills that support combat) in some way.

However, there are 4 main combat skills (Attack, Strength, Ranged, and Magic) as well as Defense, Hitpoints, Prayer and Summoning (8 total). Compare to 16 "normal" skills (if I counted right - I believe I excluded either Slayer or Dungeoneering) and you see why many people with max combat have low overall skill levels.

This is why I believe they should only increase combat stats to 120, and maybe Slayer, seeing as how it's the only other "minigame of a skill" like Dungeoneering and also very much tied to combat. Of course, they'll need to sort out Hitpoints before they do so.

Another reason I believe only combat skills should be raised is because each level has a small benefit, which is more important than the same for say Woodcutting or Fishing because, like I said, the focus of the game is combat.

I'm not sure if Prayer and Summoning should be excluded or not. After a certain point between 99 and 120, the XP required becomes worse than ridiculous... Plus, Summoning is quite balanced as it is, and getting it to 120 without adding rather overpowered familiars would be without true benefit. Prayer on the other hand would be damned expensive. I don't even want to think about the price versus extremely diminishing returns...

Slayer would be fine if it were raised to 120 with benefits as long as combat skills were also raised as above, since training Slayer would roughly keep up with Hitpoints.

2dgucz6.png

Well this is just my thoughts on the matter I think in time(assuming runescape remains popular) and more and more players get 99s in all or most skills they(jagex) will be forced into upping the level caps to 120. But it wont be all at once they would do it slowly first say with wood cutting and fletching. Batch of new trees and new arrows and new bows to make but these new items that would start at level 99 would give lots of xp to it wouldnt be such a grind to work your way up to 104mil xp(but they still make the new content take at least a 100 hours to finish off training with it to 120) It would be like getting a new skill but just a rework of the old one and adding alot more to it. Then the next year maybe they do cooking to 120 and add all kinds of new things to cook that heal better(faster eat times) and give large amounts of xp. Like a protein shake made from adding milk, yogurt(milk churned), strawberries, pineapples, chocolate, and papayas at 99 it heals 350lp and grants 475xp for each one completed but also grants smaller amounts of xp as each ingredient is added so from scratch it yields 1k xp. Anyway stupid ideas but thats how the skills will slowly be upped to 120 for all of them. They would do the faster to train ones first then if ever add the slow to train ones like Rune Crafting(why that would need to go to 120 i have no idea but it would be either the last one upped to 120 or maybe never.)

I'd like to have the cap raise to 120, but not before the current skills are finished properly and constitution is fixed for PVP, even though I don't PVP.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Jagex stated here(Swedish RuneScape Forums) that the reason why Dungeoneering can be levelled all the way up to 120 is because the developers couldn't fit everything they wanted in the skill with only level 99.

Once Jagex fills all the high level gaps in skills, then we can start having this conversation. Discussing 120 when half of the skills don't have anything significant for 90+ isn't very meaningful.

EDIT: Obviously skimmed a bit too quick, I agree with the OP.

Well, i honestly dont see why dung needed 120.

The floors stop at 67 or whatever, and after that its really just binding items + chaotic weapons.

Jagex already stated that Dungeoneering is meant to be an end-game skill. Eventually, the content will fill up all levels and it will be the skill that people will keep coming back to level. Before anyone says "OMGZ BUT HOW DO I MAX OUT SUCH AN END-GAME SKILLZ?!?!"

10n9nb7.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------

If Jagex takes revambing combat seriously, they will have endless possibilities in giving level 90's, 100s, 110s and the 120 easily.

At the rate that Jagex is going though, they're going to screw up the combat revamp and are going to continue to ignore the main problem (their game is out-dated) and try to put in a temproary fix that is going to hurt the economy and make 80% of the rest of the skill useless.

:/

Mark Gerhard has already said that they wanted Dungeoneering to be special in its own way as a skill, and that the 120 cap was one of their ways of doing that.

None of the other skills are being upgraded to 120. This has been confirmed and stated numerous times by Jagex.

/Thread.

Because Jagex NEVER goes back on what they said they were going to do.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Personally I think the only skill that will be raised is Constitution.

I would love that, a reason to train combat again. It would take ages to get 120 hits. It would keep me busy for ages.

same here.

Mark Gerhard has already said that they wanted Dungeoneering to be special in its own way as a skill, and that the 120 cap was one of their ways of doing that.

None of the other skills are being upgraded to 120. This has been confirmed and stated numerous times by Jagex.

/Thread.

Because Jagex NEVER goes back on what they said they were going to do.

D plate & full helm anyone?

Its a possiblity they could reconsider their decision. They also stated that they're finding ways to "keep their players playing" and I think

raising the level cap would greatly support that endeavor.

If the Combat level formula on RS Wiki is accurate, then one would be level 168 with 120 in all combat stats.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

what would you want with 120 summoning?

by following level patterns on a titan per 4 levels we would get a barrows titan that hits 29x9 (261). With your 120 hp you are still going to be one hit.

120 Herblore?

You can now make extreme extreme strenghts that boost you up to 130, however as people feel this might be unfair at monster hunting these pots. the ingrediants require you to grind an ancient statue down to make them (ancient stats are now untradeable), and then can only be used on a special world which only lumbridge is unlocked.

So no 120 skills would just be stupid.

120 skills wouldn't be stupid if the content up to it wasn't stupid. Jagex isn't a bunch of moronic 12-year olds like you seem to believe.

wl7w9j.png

by following level patterns on a titan per 4 levels we would get a barrows titan that hits 29x9 (261). With your 120 hp you are still going to be one hit.

120 Herblore?

You can now make extreme extreme strenghts that boost you up to 130, however as people feel this might be unfair at monster hunting these pots. the ingrediants require you to grind an ancient statue down to make them (ancient stats are now untradeable), and then can only be used on a special world which only lumbridge is unlocked.

120 skills wouldn't be stupid if the content up to it wasn't stupid. Jagex isn't a bunch of moronic 12-year olds like you seem to believe.

Do you have proof for that statement?

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

120 Herblore?

You're not remotely as clever as you think you are.

120 Herblore?

That's funny coming from you.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

120 Herblore?

That's funny coming from you.

Butthurt kid coming back for more? Cute ;)