Used cars....

Star_Fox

I'm buying my first car soon since I'm heading towards college out of town and probably getting a job but considering my family budget,

we've decided on getting a used car. What are your thoughts of buying it used? and since it's going to be my first one, I'm completely

lost on what to do. Not to mention that owners will probably rip me off since I had no experience in purchasing a car before.

Used car is the way to go when its your first car, regardless of your budget. Primarily because the odds of you crashing are so much higher when your a new driver.

I'd jsut talk to friends family w/e and find out a good used car dealer via recommendations.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Take your dad or someone that knows cars with you.

Used cars can be unreliable, sure. But the word used doesn't translate unreliable.

It has do with what brand/model, age, history, mileage etc.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

There's no real point in buying a new car unless you can really afford the repayments. If a used car has been kept in good nick then go ahead and buy. Check on www.redbook.com for the pricing of cars and see what their price is compared to the normal.

Buying an old ute is the perfect first car. 4x4 Hilux or Navara or whatever are heaps of fun.

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg

There are all kinds of resources on what to look for when buying used cars - here we have something called a carsmart test which gives you vehicle history, just try to get one of those and make sure it's good.

I'd recommend the lemon-aid books as well, they're a pretty blunt evaluation of cars and their problems.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

In my experience I've found used vehicles to generally be more reliable than new. But again, that depends entirely on the make/model.

A 4x4/truck can be loads of fun, that's why I have one myself, but remember that for the same price, you can get a better/newer car. Just make sure you do your research first. I'd highly recommend checking out Edmunds.com, you can find reviews on any car ever built, and tons of helpful articles, including how to buy a used car. I spent about 8 months researching on that site before I made my purchase.

tvnet_banner-2.jpg

Used cars are great, if you know what you're doing. It'll be best to have someone who knows a bit about cars with you when you're buying.

Always haggle, even if it's a dealership. Start playing as soon as you walk into the dealership. Never show true interest. Mention how a guy just down the street would throw in free maintenance. Stuff like that. But don't rule out Craigslist. Every car we've owned in the past five years or so has come from Craigslist and run just fine.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Used cars are great, if you know what you're doing. It'll be best to have someone who knows a bit about cars with you when you're buying.

Always haggle, even if it's a dealership. Start playing as soon as you walk into the dealership. Never show true interest. Mention how a guy just down the street would throw in free maintenance. Stuff like that. But don't rule out Craigslist. Every car we've owned in the past five years or so has come from Craigslist and run just fine.

And don't be afraid to actually get up and walk out. It's all just mind games. On the website I mentioned earlier, there's actually a 7 page article on one of the website's staff who went undercover as a car salesman for a few months. It's very interesting, and it tells you about all the mind games and what they do to play the customers.

Edit: this is why you may prefer to buy from a private party, much less stress and pressure involved in the transaction.

tvnet_banner-2.jpg

I'm going to vouch for getting a used vehicle by virtue of the fact that you risk getting into an accident due to being a newer driver. Try to find one that has a low mileage, good condition, etc. Hell, my truck is an '03 model, 200K miles, and it still runs perfectly well.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

My car's a '90 with 130k miles. Got it for $2,000 and it runs beautifully. Well, it did, until my dad made me leave it in the driveway all of last winter. Now the alternator's messed up.

Of course, 300ZXs are often considered some of the greatest cars ever made.

^03? That's newer than my familys car lol (99).

I might as well ask you people here, most seem to be from north america and i guess most of you are 16-20. Which year is your car from? I'm interested in seeing how fast they get changed.

Most pre-24 here can't afford one (taxes and insurances), and i'd say most here at that age would maybe have a car from 80's or 90's.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Try to find a used Honda or Toyota. Preferrably an early 90's model (later models will be much more expensive). Those cars run FOREVER.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Try to find a used Honda or Toyota. Preferrably an early 90's model (later models will be much more expensive). Those cars run FOREVER.

x2

I used to have a '93 Toyota Celica, and I still believe it's one of the best cars ever made. In it's 17 years the only issue I've had was the suspension going out at 160k miles, and that's because I beat the hell out of it. If you're taking suggestions for vehicles, I'd highly recommend this. It's very affordable and very fun to drive (especially the 5-speed).

tvnet_banner-2.jpg

www.Consumerreports.org

GO there, subscribe, and USE IT. It tells you everything you need to know about each car. Thats how I found out Scion Xb's were so amazing, despite being box shaped.

But to be honest, I trust slightly used more than new. New things just break easier.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

YES! +1 my friend.

I bought last year a used Toyota Echo 2002 (and had it for really cheap too) and despite it having 2 minor accidents and 270k Kilometers, all the parts (except those you change normally because of usage) are the original parts, even the clutch and transmission.

I strongly suggest you go for Toyota or Honda as they really last longer than most american brands. And the history of the car is the most important thing to look at, imo.

Yeah my Mom had an '87 Honda Accord hatchback. 300k miles before the [bleep]ing floor rusted through and we couldn't drive it. We could have kept the motor running but the car literally fell apart haha.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

I strongly suggest you go for Toyota or Honda as they really last longer than most american brands. And the history of the car is the most important thing to look at, imo.

I also agree to an extent, because I find most Hondas/toyotas to look kind of bland outside and some of them

suffer with poor designing and features. I did find a lot of affordable sporty cars which might be the kind of car I might

get once I do enough research on it.

by looking at this thread and already having 16 posts....you guys are fast repliers. :blink:

Nissan can be added to this. Pretty much any Japanese car runs a lot longer.

2s0cxth.png

Nissan can be added to this. Pretty much any Japanese car runs a lot longer.

I wouldn't say that. American companies just didn't make tons of smaller cars during the 80s and 90s because of that stigma. That's why Chevy Silverados are still driving all over the country even if they're 15, 20 years old. My brother had a 1996 Silverado that ran amazing, had been a work truck since it was new. Until he wrecked it, that is.

But they're right. An old Honda Civic or something along those lines is the old standby for first cars. Generally cheap, absurdly easy to work on (DO NOT GET SOMETHING MADE BY CADILLAC OR CHRYSLER UNLESS YOU WANT TO USE A MECHANIC), snappy driving cars.

Yea. All the fords I've ever driven, or known someone who drives have been crappy. Especially. *Shudders* the Winstar *gasp* Not to say Fords don't last long, but I think they need more maintenance.

Tbh OP should get a scion TC or honda civic. sickest cars. I actually like the look the 94 civic era better than the new one.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

New civics look weird :(

They're too long.