Why do people wear skillcapes?

Star_Fox

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's something like this: when I got 99 hp I didn't really think of it as much of an achievement, just a by-product of my other three goals of attack, strength, and defence.

That's you speaking from your personal experience? If so, I guess that makes sense.

I personally wear my attack cape because it looks nice. I hate how the firecape looks and I don't ever want to wear it. I actually wanted to use my str cape as that was my first 99 back in 2004 before RS2, but my god.. The colors on that one.. Shoot the creator :l

So, it's about the looks for me. Attack cape(t) fits with my melee slayer outfit, IMO.

DjMike.png

Basically: "Hey, I withstood countless hours of grinding to get a few pixels and an emote. Check them out!"

Inb4 the 99 squad tries to tell me that its fun to grind for hours.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Because I slaved over 4 years to get 99 Defence and I'll be damned if some git is going to tell me "lol noob, trim it at least"

And I must admit, Im seeing a lot more Mining capes lately. Particularly on level 3's. :|

Popoto.~<3

First of all, you put that stats signature in your actual signature by clicking on the "My Settings" button in the top right-hand corner of your screen, and then clicking "Profile." After that you click, "Change Signature" and then you paste the code you have into the box for text, click "Save Changes" and voila. You're done.

y so srs, lmao

people wear skillcapes cuz dey feel leik it, know what im sayin? is their account so dey do whateva dey want wit it. if dey git 99 cookin, den dey hav da rite to wear it even tho cookin is da noobiest skill, know what im sayin?

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

Well I wear my untrimmed Woodcutting because I couldn't give a flying [bleep] about who else has got it. I spent my own time getting that cape, I put effort into it and I refuse to get some other people who've got it somehow degrade my achievement. The fact that other people have already got this cape doesn't degrade my own achievement in any way.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Well, I'm not ever going for fire cape again, nor am I going to try to kill nomad, so 99 capes are the best option for me either way. I'll also probably be wearing my slayer cape when I get 99 summoning and many others, just because it's my favourite skill, has epic colours, and it took me ages to get lol. They're still an achievement either way. I think the next best thing to 99 capes will be 120 cape/s one day - if you manage to stay sane enough to go for that amount of exp.

2vuhgcn.png

It's my personal achievement so I don't really care if there are 100K or 200k people wearing the same cape as me. People who are too concerned about that are the very same people who only want a cape for the "honor" or "status" their pixel cape may bring them.

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

The way I see it, I don't care how many people have 99 in a skill. It took me 5 years of on and off Slayer to get 99 whilst enjoying it and I now wear the cape to show the personal achievement that I did myself. Other people may say 99 Slayer is easy or that they think Slayer isn't hard to do. Whatever, It was a personal goal and achievement of mine for a long time so I really couldn't care less on other peoples opinions.

In the end, it's all relative to the person whether getting 99 in any skill is an achievement. Not everyone trains a skill in the same way and everyone journeys to 99 in a different way, sure, some skills are easier than others but in the end, it still an achievement, just don't let other people belittle you for it.

Sylpheed.png

I can't be bothered getting a fire cape or soul cape so I wear skill capes. That and I'm proud of my achievements so why not show it off a little. :P

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

I hardly see a valid reason in them anymore. They have good stats for a cape although I see plenty of others that are better.

As for their status symbol, I kind of think they lost their "uniqueness" to the point where it doesn't hold any merit. We have like

120-30K people with strength capes now? Seriously, is it too hard for some players to work for a better cape? I've worn

a construction skillcape for about 6-7 months when I finally decided there were too many players already wearing them

so I worked on getting a firecape and it only took me 2 tries in 1 day.

Eh, a fire cape has to be several times more common than a construction cape =/

I wear different capes at different occations.

Skillcapes (mostly slayer or summoning) when on slayer tasks or chilling around.

Sw cape when killing monsters that requires constant prayer on like metal dragons or dark beasts.

Fire cape when on Ice strykewyrm tasks or when messing around in clan wars.

It all depends on the situation.

Eh, I guess its because people want to be sure everybody can see their dedication and effort they have put in to this game or simply because they want to show everybody that they are better than them. (Which is kinda stupid because atleast I don't play this game to constantly compare myself to other players) I mean before qc and skillcapes it was hard to prove someone that you indeed have that 99 agility although I don't remember anyone caring about the '99's back then or atleast not as much as today. I wear my qp cape because it makes me feel like I've really achieved something in this game and tbh, I also like the design. Though I mainly I wear SW cape when ever killing monsters.

Sephy.png

Looks as well as showing off an achievement, which is why they were implemented in the first place.

Someone might have had a rough time getting 99 Strength and want to show off the fact that they finaly got it to 99.

Who cares about statistics? It shouldnt feel any less of an achievement just because people have done it before you.

Capes mean nothing to me anymore.

I dident even buy the capes for the last few 99s i got, and that includes runecrafting.

I wear a hits cape now so people leave me alone for assists.

However i will buy the mining cape when i get it, the colors are nice.

Fools_Taco.png

To be honest I wear my skillcapes mainly because I like the look.

Recently though, I've been wearing a plain red cape, because it makes me nostalgic of what I used to wear, and I like the color of it. :)

It's all about looks for me really.

If you think about it, the difference between +9 and +10 is very little, when you compare the fire cape and a skill cape.

But a skill cape is much easier to get. Hence, a lot of people like to wear skill capes.

Not to mention how awesome some of them look.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

For the looks of course, I like the white/blue color scheme for the quest cape :)

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

If you think about it, the difference between +9 and +10 is very little, when you compare the fire cape and a skill cape.

But a skill cape is much easier to get. Hence, a lot of people like to wear skill capes.

Not to mention how awesome some of them look.

Skill cape has +9 to all defense stats and +4 prayer. Fire cape has +11 to all defense stats, +1 to all offensive stats, +2 prayer, and +4 strength. It's easily superior.

Also, I would disagree with skill capes being easier to get. Jad takes an hour. Even 99 fletching or cooking takes several.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

For any activity where stats matter I wear fire/sw/ardougne 3, but the value of skill capes is, as everyone already has said :P is cosmetic. I wear them to level parties and events, or while training something like agility where nothing really matters L. And by them I mean almost exclusively the slayer cape.

I got 99 Smithing because I enjoy the skill and the cape is great. Plus, not a huge amount of people have it, so that's pretty cool.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."