Tip.It Times - 25th July 2010

Racheya

Other than extending the due dates, what else could they do to make you happy? Is that your only issue? They aren't as interesting?

If multiple users are saying that the articles aren't as interesting as they once were, there's a hint to be taken. I, too, agree with cutting down on the frequency of articles. Personally, the only articles I enjoy reading these days are the ones by Ts_Stormrage and Stormveritas. I either want articles written by "experts" in the field they're writing about, or opinion articles written from intelligent and informed viewpoints. I don't want easy-to-catch mistakes like the effigy thing, for example.

Granted, Racheya's article about quest phobia was a big improvement over her previous articles.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest complaint with regard to the actual content of the articles is the low level of cognition it requires. The articles that are essentially a restatement of what a recent Jagex update was.

This is the update. This is what it does. This was overall an okay update. <- Just knowledge and comprehension.

Maybe try something like this.

This is the update. This is how it changes the game. This is what the update replaces. This is a way in which the update may affect various parts of the market. This update makes "X" obsolete. This update shows a new trend in Jagex's approach to new content. This is an abstract principle which this update is a manifestation of. This update is good/bad based on the content itself. This update is good/bad based on externalities. <- analysis, synthesis, evaluation

Other than extending the due dates, what else could they do to make you happy? Is that your only issue? They aren't as interesting?

If multiple users are saying that the articles aren't as interesting as they once were, there's a hint to be taken. I, too, agree with cutting down on the frequency of articles. Personally, the only articles I enjoy reading these days are the ones by Ts_Stormrage and Stormveritas. I either want articles written by "experts" in the field they're writing about, or opinion articles written from intelligent and informed viewpoints. I don't want easy-to-catch mistakes like the effigy thing, for example.

Granted, Racheya's article about quest phobia was a big improvement over her previous articles.

Yes, but most of the complaints aren't accompanied with ways to improve. No matter what you do, there'll be people who don't agree, or don't like, or aren't fans of it. That's life right there, and sometimes, people will just do that to do it. However, if they accompany it with reasons, they're more likely the ones you want to please, and will have more chance of changing something. I'm not trying to belittle anyone, or get on people's bad sides, I'm just saying that if you don't like something, give reasons why so then you won't be complaining about the same thing over and over.

My biggest complaint with regard to the actual content of the articles is the low level of cognition it requires. The articles that are essentially a restatement of what a recent Jagex update was.

This is the update. This is what it does. This was overall an okay update. <- Just knowledge and comprehension.

This is the update. This is how it changes the game. This is what the update replaces. This is a way in which the update may affect various parts of the market. This update makes "X" obsolete. This update shows a new trend in Jagex's approach to new content. This is an abstract principle which this update is a manifestation of. This update is good/bad based on the content itself. This update is good/bad based on externalities. <- analysis, synthesis, evaluation

I like that idea right there.

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

Historical articles.

Opinion articles.

Debate articles. (Defending or opposing an update/etc)

Those are what I'd like to see. No more trite articles about recent updates.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Historical articles.

Opinion articles.

You have any articles of those you could write? I'd like to read those, too.

Tip.It Times needs a humor column. :-)

Knock knock... :cool:

~ Proud Father ~ Proud (Currently Deployed) Army National Guardsmen ~ Proud Lakota ~ Retired Tip.It Crew ~

I think we see quite a few articles attempting to do just what your final paragraph suggests. Unfortunately, even these types of articles are not guaranteed to be interesting. Sometimes there is not enough information to satisfactorily analyze an update, and sometimes it is so obvious what will happen as a result of an update that an article with a successful analysis still seems like a rehashing.

I generally enjoy reading the Times, although I will say that some articles are certainly better than others, and some are not exactly thought-provoking or original. Overall, I look forward to each new Times release and even when the articles are not enthralling, controversial, or profound, I rarely end up so bored that I would say I had to force myself to finish the article.

As far as expanding the time between articles is concerned, even this may not provide the result desired by those asking for it. If you consistently do not even find the topic interesting, expanding the writing period is likely to have little to no effect on your opinion. While sometimes that extra time may spawn an interesting idea, it is very possible that idea would have been used in an article with the old time frames anyway, just with a less interesting article released the week prior, instead of no article.

As I stated before, I usually like the articles, so I would be kind of disappointed if I had to wait two weeks or a month between articles :|

Tonguetamer3.png

Runescape: Winter 2002/2003 - May 2011

Historical articles.

Opinion articles.

You have any articles of those you could write? I'd like to read those, too.

Tip.It Times needs a humor column. :-)

Knock knock... :cool:

Yup. Its a WIP.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]