Runescape withdrawl symptoms?

Greencheeese

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any friends, who the hell am I gonna play console games with? :\

As long as you can draw the line between obsession/addiction and 'woohoo fun times' there isn't any crime with wasting time for a mere game.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Wow, I've never heard of someone getting withdrawl symptoms from a video game. I suggest you go to the nearest clinic and check in to the 10 step program.

1.) Get help, you can't do this on your own.

2.) Find something to replace said habit with, such at getting a girlfriend, or getting a job, ect.

3.) Go through the detox of not playing runescape, yes I know you will get the cold sweats and vomit your brains out for a week or so but you can do it.

4.) Try your best not to think of stuff in real life and relate it to runescape, such as pking your friendly neighbor over a dispute.

5.) Drop your bank so you feel no need to want to build it back up from scratch again.

6.) Make your recovery questions something you don't know.

7.) Change your password to something such as random letters and numbers you will never remember.

8.) Destroy your computer so you have no access to creating a new account named "pure pker1000".

9.) ????

10.) Get laid.

Low_C.png

Wow, I've never heard of someone getting withdrawl symptoms from a video game. I suggest you go to the nearest clinic and check in to the 10 step program.

1.) Get help, you can't do this on your own.

2.) Find something to replace said habit with, such at getting a girlfriend, or getting a job, ect.

3.) Go through the detox of not playing runescape, yes I know you will get the cold sweats and vomit your brains out for a week or so but you can do it.

4.) Try your best not to think of stuff in real life and relate it to runescape, such as pking your friendly neighbor over a dispute.

5.) Drop your bank so you feel no need to want to build it back up from scratch again.

6.) Make your recovery questions something you don't know.

7.) Change your password to something such as random letters and numbers you will never remember.

8.) Destroy your computer so you have no access to creating a new account named "pure pker1000".

9.) ????

10.) Get laid.

=D>

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Arent most games a waste of time in a sence? :P

Yes. Every time you play a game of any kind, you could be doing something far more productive. Some people just like to play them though. And OP, it isn't your place to tell us that we should all quit Runescape because our lives will improve. You have no idea what our lives outside of the game are like, and if we are even remotely as addicted as you were; or even addicted at all for that matter. Some people just play it to pass some time, not for the 'sense of achievement.'

The way I see it is everyone should try and maximize pleasure and minimize pain in their life. Having fun while playing RS = pleasure. Having fun setting/achieving RS goals = pleasure. Yet these goals are a "waste of time" and nothing compared to real-life goals? Let's think of some real-life goals... bodybuilding? Be stronger/look stronger -> self-esteem boost -> feel good about yourself = pleasure. Get a job/go to school to make money to provide for yourself and your family to maximize PLEASURE.

The way I see it is RS isn't really any different from any other goal you can come up with. Though when you start getting "withdrawal" from a video game or it starts having a "painful" influence on your life instead of a pleasurable one, then that's when it's probably time to quit. BTW, I'm retired since the game no longer brings me any pleasure :P Posting on these forums still do, though...

http://forum.tip.it/topic/262597-food-for-thought/ (don't bump)

77yLQy8.png

This thread made me lol.

Really? If people realized that playing games was a "waste of time", then big companies like Nintendo will crash and burn.

I play games because it's fun. Like what muggiwhplar said, try to maximize pleasure in your life.

Simply complaining about your pains will just make you more painful to deal with.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Eventually I just got bored and realized how lame of a game it was. Just do other stuff to get your mind off of it, or just play a different online game.

This.

Get XBL/PSN/Steam/whatever, go outside, get a job, girlfriend, go out with friends. JUST STOP PLAYING. Coming back on once in a while is ok, but once you stop playing, you realize just how boring the game is. The game is stupid, and a time waster.

When I quit RS back in December, I got XBL (finally), and started playing with some other guys at school. Eventually we all became friends and played all of the time. Around February, I got a girlfriend. Best time of my life. Prom, kissing, having fun, dates. All of that. While I was playing RS, I was ~220 lbs. After quitting, I started losing weight and working out. I am now at a comfortable 182 and am relatively strong. I have a job (something I probably wouldn't have if I still played), and am saving for a Jeep. When I played RS, I never went outside, never talked to friends, anything. As soon as I got home, I sat down, turned on the laptop, and wouldn't leave the chair until I went to bed. Eventually, the game just turns into a giant grind, you don't feel the fun you used to Granted, I did come back and play for a bit when D'eering came out, but even that lost it's fun. This is the point you need to tell yourself to stop. Getting on once in a while to see how friends are doing, talking, maybe do a few things, but otherwise just do something else.

Wow I have xbox live with people I know and play RuneScape.

Am I a wizard?

Preau.png

I hate these kinds of threads, I play runescape for fun not as a substitute for fun. I don't grind and personally don't feel much achievement from reaching goals like 75 defence or a dfs, I then have fun instead using them to player-kill or castle wars.

You can have fun on runescape without grinding, becoming addicted or spending 8 hours a day.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

Don't have this problem with runescape. I really find it as a fun way to fill in the gaps of boredom especially during the off season for other videogames and during the holiday-less school-less part of the year when it is too hot outside to do anything(summer!). But I know that some people do get addicted to MMORPG's. Apparently in Korea you have to link accounts to your social security number, and you can only have a max of 3. I have played since the runescape tek 2 engine beta and played lightly since then, hence why I am not 99 in everything. I am glad you are enjoying cool stuff in life now. Perma-bans aren't always bad I guess.:rolleyes:

XBL: Zwolf wolf

When Runescape Gives you lemons, Alch them!

screen-capture-2-1-1-1.png?t=1279351491

Sorry Brand, I was a man in the first place, sorry to disappoint you. :\

I quit Runescape for good after I just ransacked my POH and destroyed every room. Good fight, 100M+ house.

Try it. It really helps to do what you fear most in the game. Once you do it, you realize it wasn't so bad. It really allows you to move on.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I sense a lot of hate on this thread . . . :?

Personally, I believe that there are many different kinds of people who play Runescape and for many different reasons. Perhaps most players are casual gamers who play for fun, but there are some people who truly have difficulties with self control and might develope an addiction for the game. I think that those who are strong should not demean those who are weak.

With regard to my playing habits, I don't experience withdrawl symptoms when I stop playing, but I do exhibit addictive behavior sometimes when I play. I might log in just to check my GE orders for a few minutes only to end up losing 6+ hours of my day and thus neglecting to socialize, eat, sleep, do chores or homework, etc. This does negatively influence my life at times and perhaps I should quit entirely but like many others have posted, there is an element of fun to the game that keeps drawing me back.

Ultimately, the decision to play or not to play is up to each individual person. They will have to live with the consequences of the decisions they make, not you. I think discussion of this topic can be beneficial for some but attacking people's personal decisions and opinions are not warrented.

My two cents . . .

L O L, just another "hey runescape sucks, i quit, i'm awesome, you suck, pay attention to me pay attention to me pay attention to me" thread.

By the way, i play because i have nothing better to do, my social life does not suffer because of 'scaping.

Yay, for the generic "I quit Runescape, you should too!" thread.

As pretty much everyone has said in this thread already, this topic is very very subjective. Just because YOU found yourself experiencing withdrawl symptoms and addiction to a video game doesn't mean everyone elseo does.

I find it rather funny how the OP of these kinds of threads always tries to belittle the people that still play by telling them all the 'stuff' that they are missing out on. I've been playing this game for 6 years on and off, and yet, I still manage to maintain a healthy life outside of Runescape! *GASP*

Seriously, people always blow this issue way out of proportion, I play Runescape to generally have a bit of fun by training some skills and to kill time. As all my friends work and I go to University I tend to play Rs to kill time until they are free to do stuff. Either that or I am looking for a job.

I really don't see any issue here other than the self created one that the OP seems to want to impose on everyone else who can manage to balance a dam video game with real life.

Sylpheed.png

I'm guessing you never learned to spell "withdrawal" in the years of your life that you regained after quitting?

This, personally I like like RS and don't tend into pitfalls like grinding skills (allthough I'm definitely nolifing some right now, but then I don't have to do 'em later). I study and achieve good results in real life, during exams I'm able to block off RS entirely for a long period, cause I want to grow in my capabalities, and live up to what fascinates me. But I like to have my times where I can find pleasure and just do nothing, which happens to be playing RS right now. Games are not a crime peopl, neither are movies, radio, ... People simply have a need to do pleasurable things in life, if RS is pleasurable to you and doesn't mess up your real life, you shouldn't quit or feel guilty.

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.

Well that's just one mans opinion, we don't all fail in real life if we play rs.

Ask yourself this, can i live my life like i should and like i want while i play Rs on a daily basis?

If the answer is yes without a doubt then there's nothing to worry about.

And just like Moik said, it's like drugs like alcohol and cannabis.

Rs can also be considered a drug but many people make the mistake between soft and hard drugs.

While there's only a difference between lethal and non lethal drugs and soft and hard usage but no soft or hard drugs.

All drugs is bad, ciggaretes, computers, tv's, macdonalds, alcohol, etc...

I hate these kinds of threads, I play runescape for fun not as a substitute for fun.

Very well said.

jupjup.png[~Visit my Slayer Blog~]jup.png

rvedit2.png

Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.~unknown~