Is Magic Longbow (S) Overlooked?

TheAncient

Magic Longbow (Sighted) has the highest ranged attack in the game, making it the most accurate range weapon.

It also has several other benefits:

-- 13-square range, giving it more range than Crystal bow and equal range as DBow

-- 5-Speed (6-Speed on rapid), making it as fast as a Crystal bow (and faster than a normal longbow)

-- Special attack

-- Relatively cheap (10K tokens you can get in 2 hours)

It really shines at TD's with steel titan - since it never hits over 300, the titan spec will always work when timed properly. If you use a crossbow, sometimes the crossbow hits above 300 and the TD will switch to range prayer, ignoring your titan's spec.

It also can be very useful at DK's against Prime because of its 13 square range.

As far as DPS against 0 defense -- assuming Extreme pot, 5% Range prayer (if on curses; who uses prayers anymore?):

Rune Crossbow w/ Broad Bolts (5 speed on rapid): 350 Max = 58 average DPS

Rune Crossbow w/ Diamond(e) (5 speed on rapid): 360 Max/414 Spec = 60-69 average DPS

MLS w/ Rune Arrows (6speed on rapid): 240 Max = 50 average DPS

MLS w/ Broad Arrows (6 speed on rapid): 200 Max = 41 average DPS

Maxed Crystal bow (6 speed on rapid): 280 Max = 58 average DPS

The DPS with MLS(rune Arrows) is about 75% the DPS with RXBow(Diamond e). Would you think there are situations where the added accuracy compensates for this DPS loss?

Certainly the RXB is a better all-round weapon. I'm only arguing that MLS is a better alternative in special scenarios.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I would love to see someone using at a boss or something.

It's been used at arma (pretty unsuccessfully) - If i had vidding equipment I could show the comparison between it and RXB at TD's. It's so much more accurate.

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

It's been used at arma (pretty unsuccessfully) - If i had vidding equipment I could show the comparison between it and RXB at TD's. It's so much more accurate.

Hmm. What makes it unsuccessful at arma? I know it would have a really low max, but you'd think that the accuracy (which is huge there) would at least sort of make up for it. I'll go look for a video of that now I suppose.

Hmm. What makes it unsuccessful at arma? I know it would have a really low max, but you'd think that the accuracy (which is huge there) would at least sort of make up for it. I'll go look for a video of that now I suppose.

I've only seen one vid, and I wasn't really impressed by it.

But it just seemed like the lack of a shield was the major problem there.

sigcopyaf.png

Would you think there are situations where the added accuracy compensates for this DPS loss?

use your DPS equation and take the limit as target defense approaches infinity.

Then see if the magic longbow (s) surpasses the rune crossbow in any circumstances

so if DPS(Max Accuracy Roll - Resolution) of the bow is less than DPS * (Max Accuracy Roll - Resolution) of a rune crossbow.

Then there exists no situations where the magic longbow (S) > Rune crossbow

Naaxi.png

Would you think there are situations where the added accuracy compensates for this DPS loss?

Then see if the magic longbow (s) surpasses the rune crossbow in any circumstances

so if DPS(Max Accuracy Roll - Resolution) of the bow is less than DPS * (Max Accuracy Roll - Resolution) of a rune crossbow.

Unfortunately, I don't know how ranged accuracy works.

sigcopyaf.png

Unfortunately, I don't know how ranged accuracy works.

it'd still work on a dice roll system would it not?

Ranged max hit is calculated the same way as melee max hit afterall.

I'd imagine it'd work the same way as melee.

Naaxi.png

No, its not.

Its a lvl 50 weapon and it behaves like it even with a sight.

Its only good for people who use MSB on targets that freeze and run out of range.

MSL can help fill the gap until you can move close again.

One can only hope that Jagex released the sight in preparation for releasing a new level 80 long bow with new level 80 arrows.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

That's a big assumption. Though, I could try it when I get the chance.

No, its not.

Its a lvl 50 weapon and it behaves like it even with a sight.

Its only good for people who use MSB on targets that freeze and run out of range.

MSL can help fill the gap until you can move close again.

One can only hope that Jagex released the sight in preparation for releasing a new level 80 long bow with new level 80 arrows.

DDS's are what, level 60 weapons? under the right circumstances they are the highest DPS of any weapon.

Have you tried it yourself?

sigcopyaf.png

That's a big assumption. Though, I could try it when I get the chance.

but from a game designing standpoint, what incentive is there to make the system too different?

I can understand magic, since andrew would have wanted stronger spells to look different than weaker ones.

But when it comes to shooting a bow and swinging a sword, it doesn't really make a difference.

It may be a big one, but I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption.

so anyways, I did the calc for relative DPS on an target of infinitely high defense.

and it came out as follows:

Magic Longbow (s) + Dragon arrows: 222

Rune Crossbow + Runite Bolts: 219

Magic Longbow (s) + Runite Arrows: 202

Rune Crossbow + Broad Bolts: 201

Magic Longbow (s) + Broad Arrows: 165

the ranged strength bonus on arrows scales pretty miserably.

Dragon arrows are +60 ranged strength, but broad arrows are only 28.

OR maybe lets say, that we can't assume that ranged accuracy is calculated the same way as ranged and melee max hits.

then consider this:

236 ranged attackbonus with magic longbow(s)

versus

194 ranged attack bonus with rune crossbow + unholy book

Runite arrows have a Max DPS that is 16% higher than broad bolts.

the 236 ranged bonus needs to convey a max accuracy roll that is at least 16% higher than 194 ranged attack bonus in order to have a higher defense on a target of infinitely large defense.

you can decide how likely that is.

Naaxi.png

Dragon Arrows can only be fired by the Dark Bow. ;)

asrhasrh.jpg

touche ;)

Guess I won't be getting a longbow sight. Ever :)

Naaxi.png

What about for DK's? Is it worth it to sacrifice DPS when you get 13 square range?

I'm doing DK's right now and I can hit prime whereever I want.

sigcopyaf.png

What about for DK's? Is it worth it to sacrifice DPS when you get 13 square range?

I'm doing DK's right now and I can hit prime whereever I want.

right, I forgot about the range.

But I can't think of many places where that applies.

perhaps, if you got skeletal wyverns to drop their agro, you could safespot all their ranged attacks by sheer long-rangeness

but im not sure a drop in DPS is ever worth taking less damage.

Naaxi.png

I think it will all come down to preference. The only change you get is more accuracy and slightly less speed. one tick less then mage short.

The only limiter for ME personally is the max hit. You can only use up to rune. I would rather wait for them to put out higher lvl bows that can use dragon arrows that you can attach the sight to.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

I think it will all come down to preference.

Would you say using a rune crossbow vs using a bronze crossbow comes down to preference?

This isn't quantum physics. There is a right answer and there is a wrong answer.

The only question is if we know enough information to deduce the correct answer.

Naaxi.png

I think the Longbow Sight was really meant mainly for F2P. It helps them with their Maple bows a lot more than it helps P2P with Magic bows. The extra ranged attack bonus doesn't compete with the loss of damage than you could otherwise deal with a Rune Crossbow.

My RuneScape display name is Goggles on

Leave me a PM and let me know what your RS name is so that I can recognize you in-game >:o !

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this topic would be considered too old to post in, but...

I was wondering, with the release or god arrows (saradomin, guthix, and zamorak) giving the sighted magic longbow arrows with +60 range strength, could it possibly be worth using? It's more accurate, and fires faster than a rune crossbow, but its big disadvantage was being limited to rune arrows. Now with arrows technically better than dragon arrows (due to the 10% chance of bonus damage) available to sighted magic longbows, maybe it could have some more uses.

trains2.png

[spoiler=I LOVE MY STATION]

01001001001001110110110100100000010101000111011101100101011011000111011001100101

00100000011000010110111001100100001000000111011101101000011000010111010000100000

Not sure if this topic would be considered too old to post in, but...

I was wondering, with the release or god arrows (saradomin, guthix, and zamorak) giving the sighted magic longbow arrows with +60 range strength, could it possibly be worth using? It's more accurate, and fires faster than a rune crossbow, but its big disadvantage was being limited to rune arrows. Now with arrows technically better than dragon arrows (due to the 10% chance of bonus damage) available to sighted magic longbows, maybe it could have some more uses.

those arrows are obscenely expensive, considering they are destroyed once fired.

You might as well get a chaotic crossbow with some expensive ammo if you're going to spend that much money.

Naaxi.png

Guthix / Saradomin / Zamorak arrows have the same ranged strength as Dragon arrows once you reach a specific level (not a particularly high one either) and they should be usable with a Magic Longbow.

They aren't that expensive either. At ~550 each and falling, it's barely more than dragon arrows on a per shot basis...