Guide to efficient Frost dragon slaying.

xpx

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do u mean by battle robes lower magic attack?

When charged they have greater magic attack bonus then ahrims

Umm, last time i looked at it, 52 was a larger number than 46 but i'll have to look that up on the numbers committee...

edit: yeah, 52 is definitely a larger number than 46, even in the world of runescape.. And to answer your question of why you should never even consider using battle robes on frost dragons- consider maging frost dragons to make 3m an hour, if you spend an hour to recharge the robes(and i've heard it takes like 3 or more hours) you LOSE 3m. At 1k spells an hour, you will spend around 800k an hour in runes(fire surge with SoL) and would spend 450k an hour in runes, saving 350k an hour, so if the robes take 1 hour to recharge they would need to last 8,5 hours to be even considered worth it(and you'd still lose alot of xp). With 2 hour recharge and lasting 6 hours(both of which are more realistic) they are absolute crap(not to even mention the inferior mage attack bonus).

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Umm, last time i looked at it, 52 was a larger number than 46 but i'll have to look that up on the numbers committee...

edit: yeah, 52 is definitely a larger number than 46, even in the world of runescape.. And to answer your question of why you should never even consider using battle robes on frost dragons- consider maging frost dragons to make 3m an hour, if you spend an hour to recharge the robes(and i've heard it takes like 3 or more hours) you LOSE 3m. At 1k spells an hour, you will spend around 800k an hour in runes(fire surge with SoL) and would spend 450k an hour in runes, saving 350k an hour, so if the robes take 1 hour to recharge they would need to last 8,5 hours to be even considered worth it(and you'd still lose alot of xp). With 2 hour recharge and lasting 6 hours(both of which are more realistic) they are absolute crap(not to even mention the inferior mage attack bonus).

Let's just say I have Turmoil and Extremes, and no Yak (theoretically). If I traded the Frost Dragon Bones to my friend, will I get near 3m/h rate?

To be honest, i don't know the exact rate of using a war tortoise so i can't exactly speculate on if it's possible or not, and also if you are going to use tortoise you'd be well served to watch(yes, that's right) some other frost dragon guides on how to do it efficiently, but as far as i'm concerned, it's out of the jurisdiction of this guide, because efficient killing means 85+herb/yak/cannon.

Na, that's a terrible guide...that guy should probably stick to something like...runecrafting. There is actually a great guide about efficient frosts with war tortoise on youtube that uses the same spot that i do and has some nice tips, unfortunately, i can't be bothered to look for it.

I don't see why a video would be more helpful than a written guide, so no, i'm not even thinking about making a video(i play on a laptop with average net connection= very unhelpful, inefficient laggy video). Also, there's already way too many video-guides out there, most of which show various inefficient ways of killing the dragons, being one reason i made this guide.

its a nice guide ill remember it if i get get my dng up cuz for the time being im a little lazy for that.

"Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances."

Benjamin Franklin

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Albert Einstein

G%20I%20Jackass.png

G_I_Jackass.png

i have to admit that i only skimmed the guide. i did notice that telegrabbing wasn't mentioned as a way of squeezing in a few more kills an hour. personally, i come to use the same spot myself. I always have to bank because my yak is full when i telegrab, and i like not having to run around to pick bones of a dragon while another is aggressive in another direction.

from what i read, the guide seems to-the-point and good :)

i have to admit that i only skimmed the guide. i did notice that telegrabbing wasn't mentioned as a way of squeezing in a few more kills an hour. personally, i come to use the same spot myself. I always have to bank because my yak is full when i telegrab, and i like not having to run around to pick bones of a dragon while another is aggressive in another direction.

Interesting idea. However, it would be even more click intensive :ohnoes:

2496 Completionist

crap my bad o.o i though it was fliped nvm.

still battle robes ftw=p save me$$$$$

i love fist of guthix

Jasper_Jjkj.png

It's a good idea but considering it's already very click intense, not suited for everyone, but i'll be sure to mention it on the guide. For the banking part, you should seriously consider bringing some summoning potions with you to be able to bank unlimited bones.

Congratulations on promotion to the AOW on behalf of the whole PMG staff. :thumbup:

Ooh, thanks, really happy about the promotion actually, but i guess this just means that i'll have to work harder to make the guide better and more elaborate.

On popular request I added a video of killing frost dragons with a war tortoise that i felt was sufficiently efficient enough to be a part of this guide. All credits to the author of the vid, though.

I've lately been researching the effectiveness of ranged at the dragons as i believe it has the potential to be the best overall class for killing the dragons in terms of being the easiest and most relaxing way of killing the dragons.

So far i've established that zamorak bow with zamorak arrows is absolutely terrible there as the elemental damage is barely noticeable. I've also tested the usefulness of armadyl vs. void range(traditional) and normal prayers(+15%) vs. curses(leech ranged and defense), the results of which you can see below:

Zbow	Zarrow	Void	15%
165	bone		
898	arrow		
85 300	xp		
Karil	Rack	Void	15%
184	bone		
1296	rack		
101 600	xp		
Karil	Rack	Void	5%
184	bone		
1197	rack		
97 700	xp		
Karil	Rack	Armadyl	15%
181	bone		
1278	rack		
96 800	xp		

All 4 tests were around 62 minutes long using overload potions. I tried to use luring as little as possible in order to better differentiate between the different classes, so those numbers can't accurately be used for kills an hour, but should give a general understanding of how effective each method is. Even though frost dragons don't have a range level to leech i tested curses anyway because deflect curses deal damage and leech defense decreases targets defense, but overall i'd say that normal prayers are still somewhat better for the lesser drainrate and increased xp. Void is almost always better than armadyl but not by much.

I'm still looking to do quite a bit more testing for ranged at the dragons to find the most efficient method out there, however, as i haven't yet bothered with conquest i can't test out one handed weapons just yet, so if anyone has any help on how to gain 1250 rank in conquest easily, let me know. I will also be testing out the hand cannon there as soon as i finish the quest needed for it as i see it having good potential there. The one handed weapons that i'm looking to test out are rune knives, rune crossbow+diamond bolts, rune crossbow+broad bolts and obsidian rings. If anyone has any other ideas on what methods to test out there, please let me know.

Oh,also, some more candy:

visage2.png

If you have a willing friend to sacrifice ranks for you, that is a somewhat fast way to gain ranks in Conquest.

Unfortunately, none of my friends has taken the time to do conquest at all, most likely because the rewards aren't that good or useful. If there were someone on these forums willing to lose enough rank to me for a deflector, i'd be really happy and willing to pay for it in street or gp, aswell as lose the ranks after i get the deflector, but i really can't be bothered to learn the game in order to gain ranks as there is a risk of actually losing rank.

On a more relevant topic, i took the time to complete the quest for hand cannon and test it out there, and i must say, it's a great weapon. The results of the test were:

Hand cannon	Shot	Void	15%
189	bone		
738	shot		
102 500	xp		

So far, the hand cannon is the best weapon i've used there, and also, it's quite cheap. Another point in favor of the hand cannon is that it has a really long range, the same length as the frost dragons, actually, so you lose less attack turns when luring.

I can help you out with ranking. I've already got a deflector anyway, so I don't really care about my ranking at all.

Well I have 85 Dungeoneering so I'm planning to kill these dragons a lot. And I want to be as efficient as I possibly can be with my levels. I'll be using Ranged so I'm guessing I'm best off with Void (with BDT/ACP and deflector), using a rune c'bow with runite bolts or Karil's x-bow? Runite bolts have a higher strength than diamond (e) bolts and dragons die way too fast for the diamond (e) bolts to take any noticeable effect.

Edit: or no wait, since I can't make super antifires I'm forced to use an anti dragonfire shield... ugh. And neither can I use Karil's x-bow. Ugh, well I'll just use a rune c'bow then.

If you have a willing friend to sacrifice ranks for you, that is a somewhat fast way to gain ranks in Conquest.

Unfortunately, none of my friends has taken the time to do conquest at all, most likely because the rewards aren't that good or useful. If there were someone on these forums willing to lose enough rank to me for a deflector, i'd be really happy and willing to pay for it in street or gp, aswell as lose the ranks after i get the deflector, but i really can't be bothered to learn the game in order to gain ranks as there is a risk of actually losing rank.

On a more relevant topic, i took the time to complete the quest for hand cannon and test it out there, and i must say, it's a great weapon. The results of the test were:

Hand cannon	Shot	Void	15%
189	bone		
738	shot		
102 500	xp		

So far, the hand cannon is the best weapon i've used there, and also, it's quite cheap. Another point in favor of the hand cannon is that it has a really long range, the same length as the frost dragons, actually, so you lose less attack turns when luring.

One thing about Hand Cannons - They explode. Not exactly great if you want to efficiently kill Frost Dragons for profit

I can help you out with ranking. I've already got a deflector anyway, so I don't really care about my ranking at all.

Well I have 85 Dungeoneering so I'm planning to kill these dragons a lot. And I want to be as efficient as I possibly can be with my levels. I'll be using Ranged so I'm guessing I'm best off with Void (with BDT/ACP and deflector), using a rune c'bow with runite bolts or Karil's x-bow? Runite bolts have a higher strength than diamond (e) bolts and dragons die way too fast for the diamond (e) bolts to take any noticeable effect.

Edit: or no wait, since I can't make super antifires I'm forced to use an anti dragonfire shield... ugh. And neither can I use Karil's x-bow. Ugh, well I'll just use a rune c'bow then.

I'd be really happy if you could help me out so just drop me a line in game(private chat always on) if you have the time to.

When ranging you won't be needing anti-fire shield as normal antifires+deflect/protect mage have the same effect, supers are just more convenient to use as they give ~free herblore xp. I'm fairly sure that diamond bolts are better as the defense piercing effect occurs often and also deals more damage, but i guess i will be testing three types of bolts then(diamond, runite and broad). Karils xbow isn't that great of a weapon but i did the tests with it for other reasons, otherwise the cost of racks is just a bit high.

dzihouchan, with 99 firemaking, i've used a hand cannon for 3 hours and it hasn't exploded yet so it doesn't make a major dent in the efficiency if this doesn't happen to be a rare occurrence.

Isn't the dwarf cannon affected by your range attack bonus? So theoretically if one were in range gear, it would be more kills/hr from less 0's from cballs.

It is- that's why i'm testing it out. Having more of something doesn't specifically mean it will be better, hence why i did the tests of armadyl vs. void, where by 80 less ranged attack bonus was actually slightly better.

Isn't the dwarf cannon affected by your range attack bonus? So theoretically if one were in range gear, it would be more kills/hr from less 0's from cballs.

It is- that's why i'm testing it out. Having more of something doesn't specifically mean it will be better, hence why i did the tests of armadyl vs. void, where by 80 less ranged attack bonus was actually slightly better.

If you have the deflector shield thing, you can use Barrow Gloves, or Armadyl Chestplate. Too bad one handed ranged weapons usually suck.

If you have the deflector shield thing, you can use Barrow Gloves, or Armadyl Chestplate. Too bad one handed ranged weapons usually suck.

That's why i'm determined to get the deflector- armadyl body has 25 more ranged attack bonus over unholy book, which will, undoubtedly, be useful. Testing the rates with second-rate armor isn't much use to me. I wouldn't entirely agree on the notion that two handed range weapons suck- after all, karils xbow and hand cannon allow for a very high number of kills an hour(up to 195 with proper luring, which i haven't yet done), which isn't much off from the melee max of 210 kills an hour. It's possible that range with rigor, chaotic crossbow and diamond/runite bolts could easily account for more than 200 kills an hour, but i have yet to test out that notion. Currently, the only reason melee is still better than range is deflect magic, which deflects ALOT of damage with negative magic defense.