Guide to efficient Frost dragon slaying.

xpx

Yeah, zammy bow is crap. None of the god bows are good at all - sara is decent for spec I guess but thats it. Zammy bow is the same spec as an msb! Same max hit and everything :\

I finally got my rapier and I'm loving frost drags. However, I think you should add a guide for people with extremes. I will not be having overloads for a long time... I have a 70m bank and theres a lot of other things that I would rather buy over overloads, especially being a pker.

What I do is I bring 2 extreme pure sets with 2 super def (I can't make extr def really, stewing for the level is too hard at 85), 3 super antifire, and around 16 ppots total. I repot at 118/118/111 stats. I'll also bring a couple emergency food, but I will not bring summon pots - I throw any bones/longs that I can't bank into my yak. Same method really but I last about half the time.

At the moment I use torso+veracs skirt, mainly because its the same pray bonus as bandos but I can't afford bandos right now. I should probably sell my claws to buy it and just get 24h claw lends from my friend... Don't have a fury yet either lol.

Oh, I also use torso because i was using veracs skirt/prossy plate before I got the torso (I'm a pker so torso has value to me -- don't go into the whole efficiency thing there -.-) and torso has more def than a prossy plate sooo yeah

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's not actually extremely hard to figure out what to do there with extremes- take 4 4 dose ext att/str and one prayer pot more, use EE or EEE spec for defense and hp for every time you pot, have berserker prayer always on and pot when your stats hit 119. That should last you the same time as overloads only you'll have to use soul split more frequently. Torso actually isn't a great item to use there as the 4 str doesn't make as much difference as a barrows plate would for defense. Hope that helps.

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Haha oh god, I've had 0xp0 added in my list for days now and no wonder I never saw you log on. Your username is 0xpx0 instead :mad: Sorry for not giving you a message about the deflector... I've added the right username now and once I see you log in I'll leave a comment.

Well it's not actually extremely hard to figure out what to do there with extremes- take 4 4 dose ext att/str and one prayer pot more, use EE or EEE spec for defense and hp for every time you pot, have berserker prayer always on and pot when your stats hit 119. That should last you the same time as overloads only you'll have to use soul split more frequently. Torso actually isn't a great item to use there as the 4 str doesn't make as much difference as a barrows plate would for defense. Hope that helps.

Is Dragon Claws a good spec weapon for Frost Dragons? Should we take spec restores?

Dragon claws are the best melee special weapon to use and can add up to 10 kills an hour if used correctly(on dragons that are far from the cannon) but it's not worth it to bring many spec restores because inventory space is scarce and it would add even more unnecessary clicking(the amount of clicking is actually why i'm researching ranging- if you can get the same or 5% less kills(210 vs. 200) an hour with MUCH less clicking, it's no doubt worth it to use ranged).

EEE is a great special weapon to use because it allows you to nearly offset the overload damage, resulting in less bother with soul split.

hello, Ive just read your guide, very good all round guide... however....

I have a few questions, cheif of which is=what should i do if i cannot soul-split flash, owning to my lag?

also, why not veracs helm, for its melee defences, and for that case, is the +6 to str of bandos worth the defence bonus of barrows?

ty Meamzed

meamzed.png

hello, Ive just read your guide, very good all round guide... however....

I have a few questions, cheif of which is=what should i do if i cannot soul-split flash, owning to my lag?

also, why not veracs helm, for its melee defences, and for that case, is the +6 to str of bandos worth the defence bonus of barrows?

ty Meamzed

First for armor, as food isn't a problem for me and shouldn't be for people with SS, i recommend better offensive gear. If you have a problem with healing, it's obviously more worthwhile to use better armor to not have to heal as much. If anything, you really should atleast try to practice SS flicking on mithril dragons, and if it really is impossible, you'll just have to use better armor and bring some food with you.

Another way to avoid healing is to use either range or mage. Mage really isn't recommended as it really cuts into your profit margin, but, as i've been researching recently, range works really well on the dragons, almost well enough to be on par with the best of melee, so that's always an option.

On a relevant note for the guide, jagex fixed how the frost dragon magic attacks work for the creature-lock of attacking. This update slightly increases the hourly kills you can get, as you'll no longer be standing around trying to figure out which dragon is attacking you and also decreases the cost, as the cannon won't fire cannonballs at all the dragons attacking you. I was able to get 202 kills in a 62 minute test period with a hand cannon, my best result for range thus far. In the near future i will be trying to get some conclusive results of which setup is best- hand cannon, broad or runite bolts.

Will that be with a chaotic crossbow or runite? I'm planning on getting 99 ranged and prayer (95 in both now) through frost dragons, but I won't have a chaotic crossbow, so I'm curious.

That'll be with rune crossbow and eagle eye, obviously chaotic crossbow will be somewhat better, although probably not too much better, having rigor, however, would be a significant advantage.

Will that be with a chaotic crossbow or runite? I'm planning on getting 99 ranged and prayer (95 in both now) through frost dragons, but I won't have a chaotic crossbow, so I'm curious.

That'll be with rune crossbow and eagle eye, obviously chaotic crossbow will be somewhat better, although probably not too much better, having rigor, however, would be a significant advantage.

Doesn't rigour lose the soulsplit? And deflect damage?

If you look a little more up, you will see the tests i did to see which prayer set was best, and with deflect magic+ leech ranged/defense i got less kills than with protect magic and eagle eye, even though the prayer drain is much higher for curses. Part of the reasoning is that leech ranged doesn't drain any ranged attack, so it will stay at 5%, and even the 25% decrease of defense from leech defense doesn't cure that. You'll also have alot of magic defense when ranging resulting in very little damage being deflected. Soul split is not needed for ranged/mage as you won't be taking any damage.

As someone camping these for money to get Overloads and Turmoil, I highly recommend anyone else in my situation bring the elite version of the Enhanced Excalibur. The spec replaces the need for a Def pot and provides a very decent method of healing for those without SS. I still get about 145 kills/hr with it so hopefully that will only get better as I get money for SS and Turmoil.

I was thinking a bit, and I thought this might be nice to mention in your (great) guide.

"Frost dragons are the most profitable way of training rc (and faster than graahking/abyssing)."

I assumed that an effigy contains about 11.5k rc xp + the lamp. If you can get one effigy every 2 hours, that puts the xp rate pretty high up, and the profit is three times larger than normal rc. It also applies to rocktail fishing, magic log chopping etc., kind of fun to know.

Might be obvious, but it sounds rather nice. Also I hate rc so I think I'll be levelling it through effigies when I get 85 dungeoneering :D.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

You actually hit the nail on the head. I don't know if i specifically mentioned this, but the only reason i've slayed so many frost dragons is the effigy drops and the hate of the runecrafting skill. This is also true for TD killing, obviously, but overall, slayer is also a great and efficient method for all this, thus why i've also done alot of slaying for effigies. I've already gone from 87 to almost 96 runecrafting with no runes crafted.

And yes, EEE is a really nice special weapon to have, which i'm likely to mention on my next revamp of the guide. However, you should be getting atleast 170 kills an hour with extremes/piety.

I tested out 3-74 minute trips with full void, deflector, ACP, snakeskin boots, and archer (i). I used runite bolts. I used around 180 runite bolts a trip, and 1.3k or 1.7k cannonballs (I forgot which x.x). I repotted with x range every 6 minutes, and got an average of 170 kills/trip, so around 153 kills/hr. However, I used far fewer prayer pots, even with only +6 prayer. So, it came out to around 125k range xp/hr, and 153 kills/hr. I can do a more extensive test later on, if you'd like, logging everything. These first few trips were more a test run ranging. Melee, I maxed at around 205 bones/hr.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

You actually hit the nail on the head. I don't know if i specifically mentioned this, but the only reason i've slayed so many frost dragons is the effigy drops and the hate of the runecrafting skill. This is also true for TD killing, obviously, but overall, slayer is also a great and efficient method for all this, thus why i've also done alot of slaying for effigies. I've already gone from 87 to almost 96 runecrafting with no runes crafted.

And yes, EEE is a really nice special weapon to have, which i'm likely to mention on my next revamp of the guide. However, you should be getting atleast 170 kills an hour with extremes/piety.

Yea, I have yet to test it using Piety seriously, was just trying to see if the spec bar kept up with my need for healing without spec restore potions, and it does, so next I can concentrate on Prayer flashing.

If you look a little more up, you will see the tests i did to see which prayer set was best, and with deflect magic+ leech ranged/defense i got less kills than with protect magic and eagle eye, even though the prayer drain is much higher for curses. Part of the reasoning is that leech ranged doesn't drain any ranged attack, so it will stay at 5%, and even the 25% decrease of defense from leech defense doesn't cure that. You'll also have alot of magic defense when ranging resulting in very little damage being deflected. Soul split is not needed for ranged/mage as you won't be taking any damage.

Oh yeah.. You'd be protected from the Mage attack and the Dragonfire attack. What would be the best ranged weapon there? Chaotic CBow should've done a little better than 150 kills/h, you claimed it would be a 5% difference somewhere.

Not so sure about bringing a Hand Cannon there, having it explode really isn't the best thing for moneymaking, unless the difference is actually that significant

Edit - Hmm. Chaotic Crossbow costs 200k/h, probably the same with hand cannon. You do lose deflector though... Hmm

Have you tested Magic Longbow (s), it's apparently whip speed?

I tested out 3-74 minute trips with full void, deflector, ACP, snakeskin boots, and archer (i). I used runite bolts. I used around 180 runite bolts a trip, and 1.3k or 1.7k cannonballs (I forgot which x.x). I repotted with x range every 6 minutes, and got an average of 170 kills/trip, so around 153 kills/hr. However, I used far fewer prayer pots, even with only +6 prayer. So, it came out to around 125k range xp/hr, and 153 kills/hr. I can do a more extensive test later on, if you'd like, logging everything. These first few trips were more a test run ranging. Melee, I maxed at around 205 bones/hr.

It's nice to have other people doing some testing on it, however, the results of our seperate tests will likely be quite a bit different as i always use overloads(constant boost is better for tests) and i am quite a bit more experienced at luring. Judging by the ranged xp you got from the trips, you didn't bother with luring at all(the more ranged xp you get the less you use the cannon).

These are the results from my last Hand cannon test(~62 minutes, 3 overloads):

777 hand cannon shot(+1 hcannon)
1601 cannonball
13 prayer potions

202 bones
110 301 ranged xp
23 561 hp xp

To be honest, i'm starting to like the hand cannon setup more and more- it has a really big range(more than the dragons) and can hit over 600 with rigour.

There is no way sighted magic long can be good as karils crossbow isn't(which has more ranged strength and higher speed).

It's nice to have other people doing some testing on it, however, the results of our seperate tests will likely be quite a bit different as i always use overloads(constant boost is better for tests) and i am quite a bit more experienced at luring. Judging by the ranged xp you got from the trips, you didn't bother with luring at all(the more ranged xp you get the less you use the cannon).

These are the results from my last Hand cannon test(~62 minutes, 3 overloads):

777 hand cannon shot(+1 hcannon)
1601 cannonball
13 prayer potions

202 bones
110 301 ranged xp
23 561 hp xp

To be honest, i'm starting to like the hand cannon setup more and more- it has a really big range(more than the dragons) and can hit over 600 with rigour.

There is no way sighted magic long can be good as karils crossbow isn't(which has more ranged strength and higher speed).

How much does the hand cannon blow up with 90+ fm anyways? Assuming hand cannons stay at 400k each, unless it blows up less than once per 2 hours...

I did some digging on Moronics efficiency spreadsheets(they are great, by the way, always use them) to find some conclusive information about ranging and...

603	Hand Cannon (Hand Cannon Shot)	294,85
464	Chaotic Crossbow (Broad Bolts)	240,34
506	Chaotic Crossbow (Runite Bolts)	261,98
464	Rune Crossbow (Broad Bolts)	234,68
506	Rune Crossbow (Runite Bolts)	255,81
339	Karils Crossbow	                273,35
241	Dragon Darts	                276,03
252	Rune Knife	                293,33
322	Toktz-xil-ul	                266,39

That is with void range(normal for cannon, deflector for others) and eagle eye. Rows show maximum damage, weapon and average DPS against an opponent with 150 defense.

629	Hand Cannon (Hand Cannon Shot)	310,67
484	Chaotic Crossbow (Broad Bolts)	252,43
527	Chaotic Crossbow (Runite Bolts)	274,15
484	Rune Crossbow (Broad Bolts)	247,10
527	Rune Crossbow (Runite Bolts)	268,15
353	Karils Crossbow	                287,85
251	Dragon Darts	                292,05
263	Rune Knife	                310,55
336	Toktz-xil-ul	                279,58

This is the same setup as the last only using rigour prayer.

I think these calculations effectively show that the hand cannon is easily the best DPS weapon there, being slightly better than even rune knives(which are ridiculously expensive). I am, however, not 100% sure that the hand cannon has the same speed as crossbows, as it seems very slow, however, if anyone has any information about this i'd be very appreciative about it.

As for the cost of using the hand cannon, the shots are really cheap, on par with using rune bolts with accumulator, and it doesn't blow up all that much with 99 firemaking, 1 cannon per 2-3 hours being a good estimate. It's also very nice being able to use the SW cape for a decent prayer bonus.

Edit: Watched a youtube vid and yeah, on rapid, it's the same speed as CLS- 5 speed, 3 seconds. I will be looking to add something about melee and mage(I hope i can ask moronic some advice about this) DPS figures too.

Did a few more efficiency calculations for ranging frost dragons, taking into account kills an hour, ammo cost and prayer cost.

I assumed that the best method gets 100 kills an hour(200 with cannon, 100 from cannon, 100 from primary range weapon), and the other methods get less kills according to the DPS numbers from Moronic's range DPS calculation(see last post). The negative number or frost dragons was summed into the cost of other methods using the value 24k per frost dragon.

For ammo, i used general information that i had on hand for the calculations. For hand cannon, 860 shot and 0,5 cannons per hour, for knives/darts, attractor retrieves 3/4 of the ammo you use, 800/1333/2000 shots an hour for different methods. Chaotic weapons also cost an extra 100k an hour. Broad bolts aren't retrieved(for more prayer bonus).

Prayer pot cost is estimated from the prayer bonus of the different methods, rigour is estimated to have the same drain rate as piety(as i have no idea what it actually is).

Do keep in mind, these are only guidlines, and don't take into account luring and how much time you lose doing nothing, but they do give a good generalisation on which methods are best. They also assume 99 firemaking(for hand cannon).

Method	                        Prayer  Cost
   Hand Cannon (Hand Cannon Shot)  	20%	-497
   Hand Cannon (Hand Cannon Shot)  	15%	-568
   Dragon Darts                    	20%	-631
   Magic Shortbow (Rune Arrows)	20%	-641
   Toktz-xil-ul                    	20%	-657
   Rune Crossbow (Runite Bolts)    	20%	-675
   Dragon Darts                    	15%	-695
   Rune Crossbow (Runite Bolts)    	15%	-711
   Karils Crossbow                	20%	-724
   Chaotic Crossbow (Runite Bolts)	20%	-729
   Rune Crossbow (Broad Bolts)    	20%	-740
   Toktz-xil-ul                    	15%	-756
   Chaotic Crossbow (Runite Bolts)	15%	-764
   Rune Crossbow (Broad Bolts)    	15%	-785
   Karils Crossbow                	15%	-785
   Chaotic Crossbow (Broad Bolts)  	20%	-799
   Rune Knife                      	20%	-828
   Chaotic Crossbow (Broad Bolts)  	15%	-841
   Rune Knife                      	15%	-901
   Magic Shortbow (Zamorak Arrows)	20%	-958

Prayer is either eagle eye(15%) or Rigour(20%), cost is calculated gain of money in thousands relevant to the fastest method, the higher the better.

If anyone has any other ideas on what weapons or methods would be relevant for ranging, please, do let me know. Updated it a bit, adding msb and used better pricing(the prices of prayer potions and ammo is ~6 month average).

Glad you are looking into ranging more. When I tried melee'ing there, I was put off by the excessive clicking (and me failing at flashing properly and nearly dieing) + me having to run all around the room picking up bones.

Have you looked into ranging + telegrabbing? It seems even more useful than with melee'ing cause when ranging you never really go up close with the dragons (and their death piles)

Glad you are looking into ranging more. When I tried melee'ing there, I was put off by the excessive clicking (and me failing at flashing properly and nearly dieing) + me having to run all around the room picking up bones.

Have you looked into ranging + telegrabbing? It seems even more useful than with melee'ing cause when ranging you never really go up close with the dragons (and their death piles)

The problem with telegrabbing is that it works as a combat spells, wasting an attack turn, so it's only be borderline useful for melee- you can pick up bones(and lure dragons in the same process) while not wasting any attack turns.