Tip.It Times - 1st August 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at least I now know why I'm not using up my shade dungeon keys this weekend trying to get clues. Awwww well, I can wait. It gives me more preparation time.

You'd think though that they'd post something on the home page about delays if they posted it in the B.T.S..

lord_uathen.png

Well at least I now know why I'm not using up my shade dungeon keys this weekend trying to get clues. Awwww well, I can wait. It gives me more preparation time.

You'd think though that they'd post something on the home page about delays if they posted it in the B.T.S..

why should they? we have forums for a reason, and that information was always in future or recent updates(when fu wasn't there)

The article was o.k., I generally don't like articles about recent updates so much, because there usually isn't anything very new about it.

I'm not really upset about it, maybe just a little disappointed.

Atm I'm still occupied with getting a lvl 3 clue halfway done, they are always finished after the fifth step :(

The article about etiquette at slaying was quite good, I'd hope more people would stick to these guidelines.

Especially the cannons, it's just so damn annoying...

To the first article, what happend to the days when experienced scapers such as RSw44 or TS Stormage actually written something interesting with good insight? >.> The main article on the tip it time nowadays is nothing more than a rant section. I understand if you as a writer is frustrated at players complaining at Jagex for delaying an update. I mean god forbid you never heard it before. But is it really that worthwhile to put it on the main article? Tip It Times used to be an enjoyment for me and now after today's last straw following a string of bad articles I think I'll end my tradition of reading the times which began 2 years ago just because the editors no longer care who writes them. I remember when RSw44 was still writing, every week he'd post something interesting about the RS economy and gave me new insights into the workings of the GE. Or when Necro wrote his on the history of major RS bugs, that was always a fun walk down memory lane. But nowadays for nearly 2 months the articles seems to be just about people rambling on about their boring lives and the same old cliches (with a few diamonds in the roughs thanks to TS on the decline of the times, Forsakenmage on her fictional, and RSw44's return about Jagex cover ups).

Rants like this don't deserve to be on the times, if it does then I'd go spend 15 minute writing about everything in RS that's ever irritated me and I'll be able to provide tip it with a year's worth of writing. Leave these rants for the forum discussions, and actually let the intelligent insights flow on the times.

Article #2: Your guide to slayer seems like a guide to be polite. Unfortunately in the present rs state of efficiency I doubt many people would care about spawn stealing or cannoning in a crowded area. Although I agree wholeheartedly with the "heated" discussion about those slayer's "girlfriends"

120dgl.jpg

First article: this is old news, isn't it? I mean, there's a good chance the update will be tommorow.

Second article: er, the people with their "girlfriends" erm, this is what the report and/or ignore button is for. As for etiquette, well...if you can use extremes and turmoil and the other person can't...in any case, I rarely have trouble with slayer competition. Chances are I'll hop if I REALLY need to.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I agree with the first article, but indeed a little insight can do no harm. I would really want to know why the youth who is supposed to be openminded and progressif is so ultra conservative and narrowminded. Why is it so difficult to understand that things can faile?

StGerolf.png

- When monster camping, such as with spiritual mages or abyssal demons, it's not really that great a hardship to get out of a slayer's way, and it only takes a simple question: "slayer?" to ascertain whether you should move into a different area to camp (or indeed, whether the slayer should change worlds.)

Am I reading this wrong or is it telling me that people slaying deserve an area more than someone camping? Idgaf if im camping or slaying no one "deserves" the spot.

C(21)H(30)O(2)

- When monster camping, such as with spiritual mages or abyssal demons, it's not really that great a hardship to get out of a slayer's way, and it only takes a simple question: "slayer?" to ascertain whether you should move into a different area to camp (or indeed, whether the slayer should change worlds.)

Uh...what does this mean? What is "slayer?" supposed to mean? How does it tell you whether you should move? Why should you move at all? Either I'm missing something, or this just doesn't make sense.

- Count slayers in an area you enter. If you are the fifth slayer in a small room, it's not at all polite to stomp around declaring that Slayer is always crowded and you're using potions so people should give you precedence even though you've just arrived. Face the facts. We're all using potions if that's the usual way of slaying a monster. You aren't doing anything new or special. And if you are, then you should probably test it on a less crowded world, anyway.

- Don't set a cannon up in an already crowded area. Yes, I understand cannoning is faster, but rudely chasing everyone out of an area just because you've set yours up doesn't mean other people who also have one with them weren't waiting for the area to empty before utilizing it.

- Pick a spot and stay in it! I have no idea how many times I've found one area with one recurring monster and had someone who was monopolizing two or three hop over to happily slay mine, too. If I got a free nickel every time, I guarantee I'd have a year's worth of membership paid up by now. We all know the monsters spawn here, here, and here. So, for crying out loud, why do you need to hop through every spawn when there are two other people waiting as well? Do you think a magical new monster spawn is coming to save you? I never fail to laugh at slayers who race around the room, just missing every spawn because they couldn't stay in one place!

I'll set up cannons wherever I like and kill whichever spawns I feel like killing, and I expect other people to do the same. That's the nature of the combat system and there's nothing wrong with it. The bad etiquette is when you start yelling at people to "GTFO cannon n00b, I was here first."

It's all well and good if you want to be a gentleman and stick to one bloodveld spawn and use a cannon only if the room is empty; it's unfair and scrubby to expect other people to do the same. :ugeek:

Also, block those tasks/stop going to those spots if they're so crowded. Problem solved.

Racheya, god-forbid we complain on a fansite. Despite countless posts by me and others, it seems you still don't understand why we were upset in the first place. Rather than ask further questions on a thread devoted to the subject, you decided to write an article effectively blasting those who were upset.Your writing is petty and written with the intent to just add flames to a fire that is all but extinguished. You needlessly insult those who have a contrary opinion which, if anything, detracts from your point. Why continue this argument anyways? You said it yourself, "The update will be out soon." So stop this silly rant and just wait for the update, that will surely silence JaGex's critics, your article does the opposite.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

Uh...what does this mean? What is "slayer?" supposed to mean? How does it tell you whether you should move? Why should you move at all? Either I'm missing something, or this just doesn't make sense.

It basically means the person is checking if the new arrival is there for a task or if they're just there to camp. In other words, if they actually need to have at least one spawn to his or herself. At least, that's the way I understand it.

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

It basically means the person is checking if the new arrival is there for a task or if they're just there to camp. In other words, if they actually need to have at least one spawn to his or herself. At least, that's the way I understand it.

That makes even less sense, since, barring dust devils or abby specs, you can tell if someone's on-task because they're wearing a slayer helm. If they're not, they aren't on-task. And the standard response to "[skill]?" is, as far as I know, "[my level in skill]" which still doesn't tell you that.

:blink:

Indeed, the second article seems to imply that in some cases people "deserve a spot" or should move elsewhere because "it's the polite thing to do." Why should anyone move or not be allowed to join? I have as much right to whatever monster or resource you are trying to get it as much as you do. No one should have to move for anybody for no reason. If you can't compete with us for monsters and resources, then perhaps you should move. But I'm not going to waste valuable slaying time to be polite. Sorry.

This nearly takes me back to my earlier days on free worlds when people would complain that I took "their rock" or "their hill giant" or whatever. Just cause you got there first doesn't mean you get to use it exclusively. Is it frustrating? Heck yeah. I've been on both ends. But no one should bend their back over for you to be polite. No one is going to do that for you in the real world either.

-Runescape Addict --- Seven-time Writer for the Tip.It Times-

"Yes I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you the illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion." - The Glass Menagerie

DragonkinFF13Sig2copy.jpg

"This game isn't about graphics, it's about fun." - The Great Ortiz 9471

<> Dragon drops: Plateskirt(1), Half Shield(1) <>

I understand both sides of the slaying argument. It is a cut throat world, but I personally would be fine with switching worlds until I get a spot I like. I don't have a problem with that. Then again, efficiency isn't what I am looking for, others on the other hand do, so they are allowed to fight for a spot because they can. I still believe though that a little politeness goes a long way.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

multi combat areas - i think the person with the most dps should winout here usually thier isnt enough spawns......so its more efficient to half kill everything and if your in competition with a simular slayer - 130+ rapier or 136+ whip and steel titan

than its better to hop

single combat areas - most areas in kuradel can only have 2 people thier to reallly be efficient abbies maybe 3 but yes a 138 using extremes and turmoil is gunna need more spawns than a 138 just usin super pots

though i usually hop in single combat if necesssary and i try to steal spawns/half kill in multi= p

StarViv.png

I can understand why it is annoying to hear childish whining when it comes to the BTS, but the thing is a lot of what has been said on this forum is coming from a mature viewpoint. A particular part caught my eye, "And, if you think that you deserve this update NOW because youre a paying member, then the solution is to stop paying. Its rather simple.", and I have to say this is quite a childish outlook in itself. As paying customers people have a right to complain if they feel they are not being given the service they are paying for.

As for Slayer, it's a dog eat dog skill. If you can't keep up with the level 138 with chaotic and turmoil then it's your problem not his. Hell, I get forced out of spots sometimes but that's part of the game. If someone wants to set up a cannon at Dagannoths then fair play to them, they are doing the best they can to get Slayer xp and I wouldn't frown upon that.

That makes even less sense, since, barring dust devils or abby specs, you can tell if someone's on-task because they're wearing a slayer helm. If they're not, they aren't on-task. And the standard response to "[skill]?" is, as far as I know, "[my level in skill]" which still doesn't tell you that.

I guess I'm never on task then, because I don't have a Slayer helm.

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

The BTS article. I usually wouldn't care if they couldn't release an update on time, but the anticipation for the treasure trails update has turned the high level items market upside down. I usually use more vulgar terminology to describe it. So we have a right to be pissed, they are essentially screwing with a system we should be controlling.

2pzzjb9.jpg

106px-National_Defense_Service_Medal_ribbon.svg.png106px-Navy_Rifle_Marksmanship_Ribbon.svg.png120px-USN_Expert_Pistol_Shot_Ribbon.png

God dammit Seany, STOP SHARING MY MIND

" I believe in something greater than myself. A better world. A world without sin. I'm not going to live there. There's no place for me there... I'm a monster.What I do is evil. I have no illusions about it, but it must be done."

I guess I'm never on task then, because I don't have a Slayer helm.

Then you're doing it wrong. Black masks are only ~2m. No slayer should be without one.

About the first article:

"A promise is a promise and shoudl be kept" is a value everybody should try to keep. There are always unexpected events which make it impossible to keep a promise. However, if on forehand the possibility exists you cannot keep your promise, you should state so on forehand, so people know there is an exception why a promise cannot be kept. If Jagex didn't completly playtested an update before the release of the BTS they should reasonly know the possibility exists they cannot keep the promise. Therefore they shouldn't have made the promise the way they did now. If you read the BTS you can only conclude the update would have been released already.

I think Jagex should either tell the public about an update if it's completly ready to be released or not give a very specific date of release. The former solution assures they will be able to keep their promise 99% of the time, while the latter allows Jagex some space if they need some more time. I prefer the former, because there always will be people who cannot cope with vague promises.

About the second article:

It would be nice that people would show some respect to each other. However there are just too much selfish people and if you are playing runescape you just have to deal with that. If you cannot, you should not play a massive multipayer online roleplaying game. I am not advocating selfishness here, but with so many player there are so many thoughts about what is decent and therefore you cannot expect people to deal with other players the way you think is right. You also have to keep in mind people tend to be less decent if the chances of retribution are small and the benefits of not being decent are high. And that's the situation we are dealing with in Runescape.

Racheya, you missed one of the most glaringly obvious reasons for peoples' discontent at recent failures by the Jagex team: twitter hints. The combination of a vague outline from BTS followed by specific weekly hints on twitter means that by Sunday evening, we are all able to find out what the week's updates should be. What I find most remarkable is that Jagex have still released twitter hints for both Dungeoneering 1.5 AND Clue Scroll updates this month, knowing full well that on Friday things were not ready for release and therefore leaving a pathetic 10 or so office hours in which to solve any problems on Monday and Tuesday morning. If an update is not ready on Sunday when the twitter hint goes out, they'd receive a much better reaction by not releasing a twitter hint for an update that most likely will not happen, rather than confirming an update that is meant to happen but clearly cannot.

Perhaps I'm unusual, in that because of the expectations placed on me in my line of work (punctuality and competence at the least), I expect the same of Jagex. If I promise to be somewhere doing a certain job at a certain time, I am either there or I lose my job. I expect the same high standards of Jagex when they beam out a promise of content updates so close to the projected release date.

As for the second article: politeness on slayer tasks is always a delight to come across. A good conversation always makes a task more enjoyable - I HATE steel/iron dragon tasks, since they take so long and rarely reward me with anything, but I met a friendly chap this evening to chat to and the experience improved ten-fold. It would be wonderful if people could simply engage common sense and communicate a bit better, in all aspects of the game, to make it what it is meant to be: fun.

Before kuradal's dungeon, when I felt like camping abbies, I just wear slayer helm, and tell non campers to gtfo. Was funny when they respected me and left.

Why would anyone ever respect someone who had the bad manners to say gtfo?

1. I used to follow the slaying etiquette. I still do when using a cannon, but when not, I tend to aggressively slay until even higher-levelled slayers are forced to hop worlds. Also, I keep the public chat off, so I don't really care what they have to say (or would want to say). Conversation isn't a way to train slayer, afk is.

2. I know how BTS works, but I don't read Jagex twitter. As long as they don't suddenly cancel (for indefinite amount of time) a promised update (delaying doesn't count), it is good for me. Also, I firmly believe in "we pay, we say" principle. I will threaten them with membership cancel as often as needed.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)