Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 1st August 2010

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

Cowman_133
[ Display Name History ]

Cowman_133

Retired Administrator

• Members
  • 6,383 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Cowman_133

As to the first article a certain R lost my respect a long time ago. They always apologize for jagex and they have low stat's. Of course they have thousands of hours of content left to play as they probably spend more time on forums than in game so could care less about updates.

On the other hand that type of casual player who loves jagex unconditionally is probably who jagex is catering to atm anyhow.

How about we don't bash individual authors and instead debate the content of their articles?

Thanks.

Range_This11
[ Display Name History ]

Range_This11

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
That's a little bit difficult when the author seems to be bashing a certain group of players in her article. Just sayin'...

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Tim
[ Display Name History ]

Tim

Eternal Session of Sound

• Members
  • 8,846 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired

what happend to the days when experienced scapers such as RSw44 or TS Stormage actually written something interesting with good insight? >.>

They moved on, Im sure Rsw44 AND Stormage have written something bad before, so over the fanboy-ism over Rsw44. (I had to deal with it back in Lightning's Chat, It really pushed my patience) <.<

I'll admit im a little upset over the TT delay (even though I wont get anything, our more rich players will horde it) but what I am glad is that they're remembered "Oh wait, we have players still using old PC systems!" and are aiming to fix the problems before it gets released and all hell breaks. literally.

as for article 2, I dunno about shortage on spots, but usually the only place I have a problem with finding a good place is Dagonnoth, everything else I've been able to slay easily without the typical "Egocentric 130+ demanding he has priority because his stats are higher" bullcrap.

Popoto.~<3

Range_This11
[ Display Name History ]

Range_This11

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,427 posts

They moved on, Im sure Rsw44 AND Stormage have written something bad before, so over the fanboy-ism over Rsw44. (I had to deal with it back in Lightning's Chat, It really pushed my patience) <.<

I know I've said this before, but I never understood the Rsw44 obsession. I still picture the kid who used to rate people 2/10 on the Rate This! forum because they didn't have 99 Smithing every time I see his name hahaha.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts

what happend to the days when experienced scapers such as RSw44 or TS Stormage actually written something interesting with good insight? >.>

They moved on

I'm still here, thank you very much (I think I'm actually the longest serving author)...

And I'd like to believe my articles are getting better on average since the day I started 2 and a half years ago...

But yea, I had a few misfires (I can think of only one), its only natural and to be expected when you've been writing this long...

Your point?

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Tim
[ Display Name History ]

Tim

Eternal Session of Sound

• Members
  • 8,846 posts
I was trying NOT to make it into an Argument, my point is writers aren't always going to make the best columns for people, and that they shouldn't be judged against other writers for it. if that clears it up.

Popoto.~<3

mario_sunny
[ Display Name History ]

mario_sunny

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,412 posts
Don't let that praise go to your head now, silly ns. :razz:
Posted Image
By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

canadiansmurf
[ Display Name History ]

canadiansmurf

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 255 posts

You don't see top newspapers editing their stories because they were raising controversy. And therefore I see no reason why Tip.It would modify or edit the article because of some controversy raised by it, except in the case of legal issues

Actually they do... there are stringent editorial controls about what can or cannot be said so we see much less of it in top newspapers.

Also after the fact some authors have issued apologies or retracted their comments or set the facts straight if they were wrong.

In this situation it's very mild so none of that is needed. Everyone will forget about this article by next week.

Den
[ Display Name History ]

Den

Movie Director

• Members
  • 8,257 posts
  • RSN:Rainy

I've been able to slay easily without the typical "Egocentric 130+ demanding he has priority because his stats are higher" bullcrap.

Oh trust me, they are out there. :P I'd say they are most common in european/US peaktimes however.

Cowman_133
[ Display Name History ]

Cowman_133

Retired Administrator

• Members
  • 6,383 posts
  • RSN:Cowman_133

You don't see top newspapers editing their stories because they were raising controversy. And therefore I see no reason why Tip.It would modify or edit the article because of some controversy raised by it, except in the case of legal issues

Actually they do... there are stringent editorial controls about what can or cannot be said so we see much less of it in top newspapers.

Also after the fact some authors have issued apologies or retracted their comments or set the facts straight if they were wrong.

Right but I'm talking after publication here. Yes the authors can issue apologies, retract comments and set facts straight, but they can't go back and edit their published article.

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RSN:Bernkastel
Okay well I don't intend to respond to individual posts since it would take forever to do so.

Just know that the article wasn't an attack on any individual users. It wasn't written with anyone specific in mind. If my comments in the forum thread regarding this are similar to ones in the article it's because I wrote the article just before I started replying to the topic.

I am sorry if people feel directly offended by my article. It was written as an opinion piece and in retrospect could have been a bit less harsh, however that wasn't the case. The article was published as it was, there was no suggestion of 'toning it down' when being edited so I can't say that I expected this sort of reaction.

Again, it wasn't an attempt to attack certain groups or users, it was an expression of how annoyed myself (and other players) have been with the reaction to the BTS.

I'm taking this as a learning experience. I haven't been writing for a very long time and since I'm not a long playing or high leveled player, I don't have either a historic or particularly experienced view of Runescape. All I can write is my opinions as a rather average player. However, I am going to be considering writing less opinionated pieces in the future. :)

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Maulmachine
[ Display Name History ]

Maulmachine

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 957 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:maulmachine

Okay well I don't intend to respond to individual posts since it would take forever to do so.

Just know that the article wasn't an attack on any individual users. It wasn't written with anyone specific in mind. If my comments in the forum thread regarding this are similar to ones in the article it's because I wrote the article just before I started replying to the topic.

I am sorry if people feel directly offended by my article. It was written as an opinion piece and in retrospect could have been a bit less harsh, however that wasn't the case. The article was published as it was, there was no suggestion of 'toning it down' when being edited so I can't say that I expected this sort of reaction.

Again, it wasn't an attempt to attack certain groups or users, it was an expression of how annoyed myself (and other players) have been with the reaction to the BTS.

I'm taking this as a learning experience. I haven't been writing for a very long time and since I'm not a long playing or high leveled player, I don't have either a historic or particularly experienced view of Runescape. All I can write is my opinions as a rather average player. However, I am going to be considering writing less opinionated pieces in the future. :)

That's all that I could ask for. Arguments retracted.

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers
Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets
Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)
Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts

I was trying NOT to make it into an Argument, my point is writers aren't always going to make the best columns for people, and that they shouldn't be judged against other writers for it. if that clears it up.

It does... Thanks :)
And yeah, you're right... As said, I too had a few misfires, but I'd like to think that other articles I wrote make up for that, and that the same goes for the other writers... If not, then if it concerns me, I'd like to know about it :)

Don't let that praise go to your head now, silly ns. :razz:

Any further than it already has? Impossible :P
Btw, get your ass into the channel sometime soon? :)

Also somethign I'd like to clarify:
The editorial panel is not gagged by anyone or anything. I can submit whatever I like to be published, and if I dont directly insult people in some way shape or form, it gets published for you to read... Last article I wrote on botting, and I added a disclaimer "just in case"... But its not needed...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

stonewall337
[ Display Name History ]

stonewall337

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,681 posts
  • RSN:Stonewall337
  • Clan:<Killing Time> of Dawnbringer

Agree with maul. It should have been better expressed who the article was directed at, qualifiers added etc, but at least you now know.

My former answers to her article still stand, however it is good to know that the article was written in ignorance instead of intentionally used as a vendetta.

Stonewall337.png

Drops

Troacctid
[ Display Name History ]

Troacctid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,419 posts
  • RSN:Troacctid
  • Clan:The Farming Guild

\However, I am going to be considering writing less opinionated pieces in the future. :)

I disagree. An editorial is supposed to be opinionated. That's the point of it. The complaints here are because it was perceived as demeaning and insulting, not because it was too opinionated.

Earth_Poet
[ Display Name History ]

Earth_Poet

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 673 posts
  • RSN:Earth Poet

This is a paragraph I specifically had a problem with:

Yet, the people complained and cried. There was outrage and fury. Jagex had promised the new Treasure Trails! How dare they postpone it for a week! They promised it! It’s not faaaaair! I have to make do with the thousands of hours of content already in game now! How on Earth am I supposed to entertain myself if I don’t have shiny new things to click every week?! We pay, we say!

The above paragraph belittles any opposing view in a childish, mocking tone. IMO, it only serves to bring the level of the discussion down, if not discourage it all together.

However, looking over it again, and knowing our past history, I don't believe you were trying to attack anybody. I concede that you were simply conveying your frustrations, but it came through in the wrong way. At best it still serves as a distraction, and only harms the purpose of your article.

I want to echo troacctid's sentiments. Please don't steer away from opinionated pieces or controversial topics. I apologize for my own comments, especially if they went beyond the scope of the article. I worked beside you and never had a problem with you. You've always been bright, fun, and polite. And I do know your commitment to the Times. You are a true fan of Runescape and Tip.It, and while others are seeing that as an opportunity to attack you, those are all +'s, especially for someone in your position.
Posted Image

Ginger_Warrior
[ Display Name History ]

Ginger_Warrior

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,044 posts
  • RSN '07:CN G Warrior
The first article, contrary to popular opinion on here, is actually excellent as far as I'm concerned. Engaging writing style, clear and concise opinion. The use of sarcasm only emphasises the peurile nature of those who complain about updates being delayed, and in actual fact suits the topic quite well.

My only problem is the lack of an original opinion. It's not really good enough to say the people who whine are wrong, regardless of whether I as a reader agree with you. I want to know why you think they're wrong. Give a little explanation into the psyche of the people you're opposed to, and point out their flaws.

Personally, I think the real issue here is that BTS raises anticipation to obscene levels unnecessarily, in a community where 'promises' of future personal development are toxic and should be handed out with extreme caution. RuneScape, despite ironically being called an MMORPG, remains a very "me me me" game. Minigames are played largely for personal gain (BA for torso, SC for tools, Dungeoneering for skill rewards, and so on), not communal fun. Whole boards on fansites, Tip.It included, are dedicated to RuneScape players who want to brag ostentatiously about their own supposedly incredible achievements. Apart from leading to a community of "1-upers", it's comprised of people who have no real empathy for their fellow counterparts, unless those counterparts are useful for their own means, least of all whether some other person thousands of miles away using an old-end processor will struggle to play the game. Selfishly, they only want their new, overloaded TT weapon *now*. Hence, when that has to be delayed so everyone can enjoy the new TTs, those who only care about themselves kick off, and start talking drivel about false 'promises' and supposed 'rights' they hold against Jagex.

It actually reminds me of Veruca Salt in the squirrel room. I frankly think it's a group of Ms. Salts you've offended here.

Peronix
[ Display Name History ]

Peronix

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,729 posts
Second article is pointless. Sure I'll hop worlds if something is full when it rarely ever is, but a lot of things are so packed I have no choice. Like the greater demons in Kuradal's dungeon. I can kill those suckers so fast with extremes turmoil and claws that I can kill most spawns in the entire room before the first one comes back. Consequently, when I arrive on the scene, others tend to leave in very short order... :mellow:

langer
[ Display Name History ]

langer

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,144 posts
  • RSN:Langerkiller
Concerning the article on slayer etiquette, I lost that aspect in the last year or so.
People on tip.it are telling me to play my game and ignore bots and such. So I play my game and bully out anyone that dares enter the training spot I'm using. Sometimes it works quickly, sometimes I feel like I have a 2nd familiar that finishes my half kill and sometimes I have to hop because I can't win.

I'm usually friendly until you lessen my kill rates...

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills
Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602
Latest top 15 update : page 602
6 slowest skills chart : page 563

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users