Macroing & Bots :'(

Undo

Do some digging on botting sites, anyone who thinks bots are good for runescape, what you see will suprise you. Pictures of bots running for days, weeks at a time, collecting millions of gold and experience. Ever go to varrock east bank on a quick chat world? I can almost guarentee you that 98% of those people are bots. Ever been to puro puro on almost any world and see a level 30 catch a kingly impling, maybe a pure who actually got hunter legit, but most likely a bot. Many runecrafters nowadays, bots.

High level players might say "Well I'm glad of these bots because they keep raw material prices down" but think about it, think of the low level who can't make money as well as a maxed player, they could spend hours trying to train a gathering skill, only to end up with a pittance compared to what high level players could make. This situation could easily lead to new members getting frustrated and quitting, which hurts jagex in the long run.

Also, lets consider a hypothetical bot-pocalypse. Say that every bot in the game was disabled, at first the market would probably come to a complete halt, prices of raw materials would skyrocket to their caps, for a while, players would have to become almost self sufficient. Eventually however, players would be lured away from certain activities for the allure of gathering skills that could compete with monster hunters. The market would be screwed up for a long time, but eventually people would adjust.

Lastly, I have no faith in jagex if they don't have the balls to take charge of their own game and whip out the banhammer a bit more often, because after having seen things from the botting end of the spectrum, I can tell you that Jagex's detection systems are either completely outdated, or just plain broken. Not to mention the fact that it would seem that reports do next to nothing.

Eventually Jagex is going to have to make a decision, take their game back, or give up and say "we tried".

Rejected.jpg

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can think of, is some sort of huge bot hunting clan, organisation, squad, call it what you like. That is supported by jagex and given authority to ban and disconect bots and see a log of all activities on a player's account.

I don't mean player mods, They would be only for bots. I know it's extreme, but if you look at the power and intelligence of bots, such as robotz in disguise, nobody using that bot has ever been banned, Jagex need to step this up, before it's too late.

Support? If I get enough people supporting, I'll leave a comment suggesting this on Jagex's youtube channel, they always read that.

I'll sooner support giving the DEA the right to execute civilians and then search my house for evidence that I am a crack lord.

... It's ingame.... and to remove bots...

Dude. No one cares. =\

bots are bad :thumbdown: bot hunters are [developmentally delayed]ed :| and staying away from both is :thumbup:

edit: to the above post. What the [bleep]? Ok sure. YOu go with that. On a private server, get that crap away from me. I want cheap things, I don't care if Ryuashabishaanimafanxx2324 rages because the lobster hes fishing to save up for a d scim is de-appreciated, thats his problem. Am I being callous and douchebaggish? Yes. But oh well.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

All I can think of, is some sort of huge bot hunting clan, organisation, squad, call it what you like. That is supported by jagex and given authority to ban and disconect bots and see a log of all activities on a player's account.

I don't mean player mods, They would be only for bots. I know it's extreme, but if you look at the power and intelligence of bots, such as robotz in disguise, nobody using that bot has ever been banned, Jagex need to step this up, before it's too late.

Support? If I get enough people supporting, I'll leave a comment suggesting this on Jagex's youtube channel, they always read that.

I'll sooner support giving the DEA the right to execute civilians and then search my house for evidence that I am a crack lord.

Dude. No one cares. =\

bots are bad :thumbdown: bot hunters are [developmentally delayed]ed :| and staying away from both is :thumbup:

edit: to the above post. What the [bleep]? Ok sure. YOu go with that. On a private server, get that crap away from me. I want cheap things, I don't care if Ryuashabishaanimafanxx2324 rages because the lobster hes fishing to save up for a d scim is de-appreciated, thats his problem. Am I being callous and douchebaggish? Yes. But oh well.

This.

Just play the game. Focus on your own account and your own accomplishments.

Also, any low-level noob can make 20m in a week, so I honestly don't care if Saru2034967 can't make 200k/hr fishing Lobsters anymore.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

There are so many Bots/Macroer threads lately. But yes, there really isn't anything you can do about them, except to learn to live/deal with them. I know you won't like it, but that's all that can be done.

Then how would you like it if one of these people came across you while he was hunting a kingly impling, and decided you were a bot? Insta ban, goodbye.

Yes what I said was hyperbole, but checks and balances are ALWAYS necessary, and innocent until proven guilty should apply here as well.

Dude. No one cares. =\

Huh? Who made that edit? Doesn't look like it was saruman44, so who did?

Jagex are too lazy to do anything about it. They simply rely on an automated system. Bots will never go away. There is nothing we can do about it. Personally, I have two macoring offenses. The first was in '07. This was the golden age of the kids. Taking 30s to type 5 words was baseline. I exceeded that too much. Second was in '09. I clearly explained I was using mousekeys. NObody gives a damn. So in the end, the bots are going to run rampant anyways. They adapt to what we do, and Jagex doesn't care. Stopping GE FM bots was very fun. Now, they've learned to move if you set a fire in their path.

Also, removal of bots would crash the economy again. Raw prices would shoot up. I don't think anybody wants that.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

I thought we've already established multiple times that bots were beneficial to RS. Stop hating :thumbdown:

This.

Just like it's been established that Tip.it is now filled with cheaters.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Being a computer science student, I started writing bits of code to help me with parts of RS. This started with web based loggers and other tools, but now I write scripts for a bot client. It's much more rewarding, and there are some scripts that are now truly undetectable (Soul wars). I've known people run these scripts for 16 days straight with no breaks and not get banned, warned or anything. (Yes there was a 16 day period without an update).

As far as I can tell Jagex's bot detection system is only activated after successive reports or failing to complete a random event multiple times. Jagex only seem to care when it was directly affecting their business (RWT based bots). The majority of bots nowadays are run by players seeking to gain an advantage over their peers (cheating).

I thought we've already established multiple times that bots were beneficial to RS. Stop hating :thumbdown:

This.

Just like it's been established that Tip.it is now filled with cheaters.

Or people that benefit off of said cheaters. Well irrespective, it seems that any select group of players will be pleased with the recent drop in some raw materials. Understandable. But does that not mean that we can't probe into exactly what the source of this price drop is? One man's tragedy is anther's celebration. If it benefits you, good for you. But one thing: Other players will always have a different view from you, because they are not like you. The situation that Dragon brought up is very real. The problem at hand here is not solely ours, it's Jagex's as well.

As soon as Jagex is involved in their game, keep your mouth shut. They don't care if bots are beneficial or not for YOU. You are one person out of how many that bots are ruining the game for? Yeahh. Not to mention "bargain-buyer" types like some I see in this thread are compounding the problem by trying to exploit it. Less money will be circulated around (as in, money being offered in trades) in the game because bots gather large raw materials and sell for low prices. This "decrease" in demand makes it hard for legitimate players to sell their own products at fair compensation. Bots are forcing down prices of many raw materials; No one should be forced to undermine their own efforts at the expense of someone else in this game. This extends out of the world of trade and into PKing and other activities as well. After all, what we have at some point has been the result of trading.

Secondly, as soon as it has been established (which it has) that bots are illegal (against a set of official rules), don't try to pull that "b0ts R b3n3f1c1al" crap on anyone. Bots are illegal.

It doesn't matter HOW hard you try to defend it. As long as there's any downside to the subject, for a legitimate group of players, an argument can be made against it.

So don't also pull that "stop hating plox" crap either.

At the end of the day, it's Jagex's game. Jagex is aware of this problem and is most likely looking at not- too-invasive ways to deal with the problem. I'd love to see the looks on the faces of the players who are exploiting the problem, when they see that Jagex has banned some 100,000+ bots. "Oh noez fish prices/raw materials will go up, how will I ever afford to PK/train skills now." Guess what? That means other prices will go up too. Find a resource, then, that you can collect for a fair (and FAIR) profit, so you can continue to PK or whatever you do without really even a substantial loss of...anything.

Or maybe you're not into skilling for money. That's fine, a lot of players aren't. Find something that you're good at that can make you a lot of money while fairly compensating both sides when it comes to trading that material. Everyone wins. A bot-sustained industry is less productive than a player-sustained industry, merely because one side will always be at a loss. And eventually, you will see that that kind of an economy has worse consequences in attempting to sustain it then a player-ran industry, because the consequences will come back to bite you in your ass. It may have benefits for people who use the efforts of bots to help level expensive skills like Prayer and Construction, but those skills are connected to other skills that are connected to other parts of the game. Somewhere, where it strokes you in one place, it will kick you in the other.

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Word on the street says that permanent bans for macroing are back.

:)

Word on the street also says that temp bans are still here.

It doesn't matter HOW hard you try to defend it. As long as there's any downside to the subject, for a legitimate group of players, an argument can be made against it.

It goes both ways.

OH WELL I GUESS I BETTER STOP BOTTING MY 20 ACCOUNTS TO 99 HUNTER. IT WAS FUN WHILE IT LASTED. I AND ALL THE OTHER BOTS ARE LEAVING NOW BYE BYE

Even if what you said was true, that changes nothing.

OH WELL I GUESS I BETTER STOP BOTTING MY 20 ACCOUNTS TO 99 HUNTER. IT WAS FUN WHILE IT LASTED. I AND ALL THE OTHER BOTS ARE LEAVING NOW BYE BYE

I'm fairly sure that the temp bans were in place so that jagex could compare the player's activity prior to getting banned (botting) to after the ban was over and they started playing normally again.

You use Gold<four>rs to sell your accounts?

I want raw material prices to shoot up. I'm making an anti bot video as I type this message.

Dude, we all know you bot. There I said it, everyone is thinking it. Its like the serial killer who helps out on police investigations, to throw suspicion from himself. Either that, or you have some troubling fetishes.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

I want raw material prices to shoot up. I'm making an anti bot video as I bot.

Dude, we all know you bot. There I said it, everyone is thinking it. Its like the serial killer who helps out on police investigations, to throw suspicion from himself. Either that, or you have some troubling fetishes.

omg.

I want raw material prices to shoot up. I'm making an anti bot video as I type this message.

Please tell me you're not being serious.

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

Try tele-other. However the smarter ones can handle it, or have accept aid turned off.

If there is a door, prevent them from using it, or close the door.

Allegedly, if you wear an outfit of the same colours as what they're interacting with they'll mess up. But that's never happened in my personal experience. (Ofc, my personal experience hardly counts cuz it consists of 1 bot last month, and the bots in f2p karamja fishing...about 2 years ago.)

It's fun to screw with them by offering weird things like

[spoiler=Kinda adult]hot gay sex :P

The colour thing doesn't work, it might have worked in 2003 but not now they run off of id's not colours.

I would never bot, I hate bots. I could make money from skilling if they were gone. If I was a botter, I'd throw suspicion from myself by not talking about bots. Plus, if I was a macroer, I would level up more. Here's a link to my adventurer's log. http://services.runescape.com/m=adventurers-log/display_player_profile.ws?searchName=sw0rd95&submit=Go

Check next time before you accuse a legitimate player.

If you didn't spend all your time looking for bots, maybe you'd actually have some half-decent stats :rolleyes:

I would never bot, I hate bots. I could make money from skilling if they were gone. If I was a botter, I'd throw suspicion from myself by not talking about bots. Plus, if I was a macroer, I would level up more. Here's a link to my adventurer's log. http://services.runescape.com/m=adventurers-log/display_player_profile.ws?searchName=sw0rd95&submit=Go

No, you'd never make money skilling. Very few people do, most merch on the side. I have "skilled" on two accounts, and it's never been good money. All those skillers with 400m banks? Yea, merchers with 99 Rc. Skilling has never been good money, and I've been here long enough to know that. And yes, I was being half sarcastic when I posted that. And I agree with Evil Eye, once your skilled bot detection systems in which you have been hand trained by Jagex in the mountains of North Britain have destroyed all th bots, you now have to actually skill. Instead of perpetuatingly procrastinating, seriously.

Side note: I was at mr mordaut on w84, did the puzzle, and then went downstairs to do a *very quick* chore. I get back up before it auto logs me to see

"lmao gf botter reported"

"[bleep] bot cant even do a random reported"

"gf bot reported"

WHAT THE [bleep] ?????? And that is why I do not like people like you Sw0rd, because your quasi McCarthyistic tactics make life harder for everyday players like me, while not even solving a problem. And I'll be completely honest, while I myself do not bot, I have no problem whatsoever with them, because as other people have said, it makes resources that much cheaper for me. And all the ones who botted to 99 Agility and Mining? Well good for them :) They have a really cool cape now that I want, however I still have millions of laps to run while they don't, oh well, life isn't fair. And besides, the hunter spot I'm at I don't have to hop more than 3 times to find an empty spot. So no, I don't want the bots gone. Do you remember what happened when bots got banned? Everything shot up in price, til it was too expensive to do anything. Herblore and prayer will become EVEN more expensive. Which is fine for you, because you have such a low prayer level that you can collect d bones for 20 mins and level like 5 times. But for me? I'm not going to hand slay 20,000 green dragons, when I could easily enough kill Sara a few times, get a few hilts, and save WEEKS of time.

Honestly though, I do think some people here (maybe Sw0rd, I've not discounted him yet) who are so so so anti-botting where every post they make is hate filled bot themselves.

[hide]

No, you'd never make money skilling. Very few people do, most merch on the side. I have "skilled" on two accounts, and it's never been good money. All those skillers with 400m banks? Yea, merchers with 99 Rc. Skilling has never been good money, and I've been here long enough to know that. And yes, I was being half sarcastic when I posted that. And I agree with Evil Eye, once your skilled bot detection systems in which you have been hand trained by Jagex in the mountains of North Britain have destroyed all th bots, you now have to actually skill. Instead of perpetuatingly procrastinating, seriously.

Side note: I was at mr mordaut on w84, did the puzzle, and then went downstairs to do a *very quick* chore. I get back up before it auto logs me to see

"lmao gf botter reported"

"[bleep] bot cant even do a random reported"

"gf bot reported"

WHAT THE [bleep] ?????? And that is why I do not like people like you Sw0rd, because your quasi McCarthyistic tactics make life harder for everyday players like me, while not even solving a problem. And I'll be completely honest, while I myself do not bot, I have no problem whatsoever with them, because as other people have said, it makes resources that much cheaper for me. And all the ones who botted to 99 Agility and Mining? Well good for them :) They have a really cool cape now that I want, however I still have millions of laps to run while they don't, oh well, life isn't fair. And besides, the hunter spot I'm at I don't have to hop more than 3 times to find an empty spot. So no, I don't want the bots gone. Do you remember what happened when bots got banned? Everything shot up in price, til it was too expensive to do anything. Herblore and prayer will become EVEN more expensive. Which is fine for you, because you have such a low prayer level that you can collect d bones for 20 mins and level like 5 times. But for me? I'm not going to hand slay 20,000 green dragons, when I could easily enough kill Sara a few times, get a few hilts, and save WEEKS of time.

Honestly though, I do think some people here (maybe Sw0rd, I've not discounted him yet) who are so so so anti-botting where every post they make is hate filled bot themselves.

[/hide]

If I see people stuck in randoms, I usually will report, and then get on with it. But I don't stand there, say it outloud and tell other people to report them as well. Just wondering though, why do you care if people reported you? Being reported for botting isn't the same as being reported for say offensive language. They don't just say "hey look, he got reported...BAN!!", they actually look into those reports.

As for my view on the situation. I hate bots, but not in the same way most people seem to, since I tend to hate the skills they bot anyways because they're slow and boring. I hate them because I see no point in using them. There is no sense of accomplishment at all when you bot, I would hate to look at level 99 woodcutting in my skills tab if I had botted it, it just would never feel the same. So basically, I don't hate people that bot, I just hate the idea of bots in general.

However, I don't understand what people have against "bot hunting", sometimes it can be fun, much like the green dragon nature/d hide trick. It's just funny to watch them all scramble to the wall. Most of the time bot hunters are just bored and looking for an easy cheap laugh. And honestly, it does make me laugh sometimes to see a bot going, and then suddenly stop because someone messed it up.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png