Newfound Uses for Modern Prayers

TheAncient

Hello, just wanted to open a thread up to discuss the new range prayer and whether or not it makes the modern prayerbook useful enough to use over curses.

The major argument I see against the modern prayerbook is the lack of SS. However, the 50HP/min Heal-Over-Time prayer is actually a pretty good alternative IMO. Coupled with regen brace, you get 100HP/min H-O-T; over an hour, this is equivalent to the healing from 10 brews every hour.

I can see the modern prayerbook being more useful than curses for:

-- Armadyl: Arugable, depends on the strength of the range prayer and whether or not it's worth giving up SS

-- DK Tribriding: The major rate limiting step to tribriding (not 2.5-ing using Losing Games' method, I'm talking about the Prime(til 10%HP)-Rex-KO Prime-Supreme method) is killing prime.

-- Slaying using ranged

-- Ranged PKers (I also wonder if they'll get a 2x Dbow spec because of the new ring). Dbow will also now be able to 1 hit people.

--Potentially even TD's (SS is hard to flick properly there, and requires a lot more extra practice and timing)

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Hello, just wanted to open a thread up to discuss the new range prayer and whether or not it makes the modern prayerbook useful enough to use over curses.

The major argument I see against the modern prayerbook is the lack of SS. However, the 50HP/min Heal-Over-Time prayer is actually a pretty good alternative IMO. Coupled with regen brace, you get 100HP/min H-O-T; over an hour, this is equivalent to the healing from 10 brews every hour.

-- Armadyl: Arugable, depends on the strength of the range prayer and whether or not it's worth giving up SS

-- DK Tribriding: The major rate limiting step to tribriding (not 2.5-ing using Losing Games' method, I'm talking about the Prime(til 10%HP)-Rex-KO Prime-Supreme method) is killing prime.

-- Slaying using ranged

-- Ranged PKers (I also wonder if they'll get a 2x Dbow spec because of the new ring). Dbow will also now be able to 1 hit people.

--Potentially even TD's (SS is hard to flick properly there, and requires a lot more extra practice and timing)

What I find interesting is that, if you will remember when Extreme's were first released, one of the major gripes of people, and one of the listed reasons for the removal of the potions from Pvp, is that the Dark Bow could 1-spec people. With the ranging prayer they'll be able to do that anyway, as you mentioned, so what will happen with this prayer? Kind of interesting to think about to be honest.

Not to pinpoint an entire thread to one specific point in a thought, but that is the first thing I see when I think of this along with the Dark bow.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

according to rs wiki it's 1 point per 2.6 seconds

as opposed to 1 point per 2 seconds for piety.

That's an awful lot of prayer points for healing, that's roughly on par with a bunyip.

this.

especially at somewhere like arma or dks where prayer dictates the amount of time that you can last.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

according to rs wiki it's 1 point per 2.6 seconds

as opposed to 1 point per 2 seconds for piety.

That's an awful lot of prayer points for healing, that's roughly on par with a bunyip.

this.

especially at somewhere like arma or dks where prayer dictates the amount of time that you can last.

DRR are you serious jagex. Terrible design. :thumbdown:

I've heard Augury is twice the drain rate of Piety too -_-

sigcopyaf.png

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I dont think I would swap SS for the healing prayer. Im able to SS flash and barely drain any prayer points opposed to having that drain in the background when I could be using the points on a different prayer.

-- Slaying using ranged

What I find interesting is that, if you will remember when Extreme's were first released, one of the major gripes of people, and one of the listed reasons for the removal of the potions from Pvp, is that the Dark Bow could 1-spec people. With the ranging prayer they'll be able to do that anyway, as you mentioned, so what will happen with this prayer? Kind of interesting to think about to be honest.

Not to pinpoint an entire thread to one specific point in a thought, but that is the first thing I see when I think of this along with the Dark bow.

you make the assumption that the new prayer will give more of a ranged boost than eagle eye :P didn't BTS only say it would give ranged and defense?

I dont think I would swap SS for the healing prayer. Im able to SS flash and barely drain any prayer points opposed to having that drain in the background when I could be using the points on a different prayer.

There are times when it's too risky to SS flash: Prime, Armadyl, (Sometimes) Bandos

or you can't time it properly b/c your monster and you have different attack speeds.

sigcopyaf.png

There are times when it's too risky to SS flash: Prime, Armadyl, (Sometimes) Bandos

or you can't time it properly b/c your monster and you have different attack speeds.

When using SS at gwd, you do it on the minions.

And when at dks you use it on supreme.

On other places it's not really that risky if you miss it a few times.

One other thing to remember is that when keeping SS on, you're losing a protection prayer. So while you're healing, you're still being dealt some damage. It may also be in these cases that H-O-T + protection may be better.

SS Rex is a perfect example. You're supposed to be healed 500 HP by SSing a whole rex; however, in the meantime you'll be hit 2-3 times by spinolyps, dealing around 60-80 damage each.

sigcopyaf.png

One other thing to remember is that when keeping SS on, you're losing a protection prayer. So while you're healing, you're still being dealt some damage. It may also be in these cases that H-O-T + protection may be better.

SS Rex is a perfect example. You're supposed to be healed 500 HP by SSing a whole rex; however, in the meantime you'll be hit 2-3 times by spinolyps, dealing around 60-80 damage each.

The majority of people with SS can take spinolops without getting hit that hard. Lets not forget you can stagger attacks, allowing you to flick Deflect prayers during the enemy attacks, and SS during your own.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

The majority of people with SS can take spinolops without getting hit that hard. Lets not forget you can stagger attacks, allowing you to flick Deflect prayers during the enemy attacks, and SS during your own.

Coming from someone who does tribrid DK in full tank gear, I have to say the damage you receive from spinolyps is NOT negligible. Otherwise I could kill all 3 kings without food. And yes, it's possible to flick between deflects and SS, but that's also a lot of effort and may not fit certain players' playstyles. (i.e. people who like to semi-afk)

What's with the buzz about the new prayer? It's most likely only going to increase your Ranged by 5% more than Eagle Eye.

5% isn't marginal. Also, being able to have defense boost and ranged boost in one prayer is very useful for tanking specs in pvp.

sigcopyaf.png

It should be like lunar, ancients, and modern spell book, where they each have their uses.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Coming from someone who does tribrid DK in full tank gear, I have to say the damage you receive from spinolyps is NOT negligible. Otherwise I could kill all 3 kings without food. And yes, it's possible to flick between deflects and SS, but that's also a lot of effort and may not fit certain players' playstyles. (i.e. people who like to semi-afk)

No, its not negligible, but your not getting hit that hard or constantly. I duo/trio with people that have SS, and it more than suffices in keeping their HP up. Maybe you have bad luck or something, but usually they do not hit constantly. Even in melee gear the magic attack splashes a lot. Even healing off of the spinolyps is possible, as they die very quickly.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

I think the only place I would ever use it would be armadyl. Too risky to SS on boss, and I find that SS doesn't work as well when ranging anyway due to the lower hits. Plus armadyl minions tend to hit a lot.

Slayer with range: possibly useful, depending on the task. Would be tough on tasks when I normally use combat familiar + SS. Either way I certainly won't ever be range slaying again.

PvP - Sure, but not my thing.

Even when soloing at dagannoth kings, I will flash SS on supreme while prime is on me. Wouldn't want to give that up for a bit of a range bonus, and I usually "2.5 brid" anyway.

I think the only place I would ever use it would be armadyl. Too risky to SS on boss, and I find that SS doesn't work as well when ranging anyway due to the lower hits. Plus armadyl minions tend to hit a lot.

Slayer with range: possibly useful, depending on the task. Would be tough on tasks when I normally use combat familiar + SS. Either way I certainly won't ever be range slaying again.

PvP - Sure, but not my thing.

Even when soloing at dagannoth kings, I will flash SS on supreme while prime is on me. Wouldn't want to give that up for a bit of a range bonus, and I usually "2.5 brid" anyway.

Whaoahh that's really brave. Don't you ever get scared you won't time it right? If supreme and prime both hit you, that's pretty much a guarenteed KO at 500-600 HP (which is what I maintain)

sigcopyaf.png

Not with divine :P

It's easy to time it to get around prime's attacks though, you just can't SS on every hit.

Sorry to go off topic, but:

Is that really worth it? How long are your trips and how many kills do you get? I'd really only consider that if you get significantly more than me, which is 2 yaks for 100 kills (no cannon)

sigcopyaf.png

Curses will be better than modern prayers in any prolonged fight. +10% to your range and def & -20% to opponent's range and def is better than +20% range and def.

Modern prayers will only be good on no-defs and hit and runs.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Not with divine :P

It's easy to time it to get around prime's attacks though, you just can't SS on every hit.

Sorry to go off topic, but:

Is that really worth it? How long are your trips and how many kills do you get? I'd really only consider that if you get significantly more than me, which is 2 yaks for 100 kills (no cannon)

Worth the risk, you mean? Probably not. My last 2 trips were also 2 yaks and ~100 kills, however I ran out of prayer with ~10 brews left so could potentially go another overload. I just don't think that the new ranged prayer would be worth it for what I do - not to mention that a lot of the damage I do to prime comes from deflect magic.

Arma and solo sara. For TDs we will keep using curses.

Seconded.

I myself don't even bother with a range boosting prayer at TDs, it's another switch that only has it's uses for 5 seconds or so at a time. It's just better to keep turmoil on nearly the whole time, and keep the constant +32% strength bonus. And for those that use Steel Titans at TDs, there would be no use for the prayer, the titan does most of the range damage anyway. As for the healing prayer, imo SS will remain king. I find that even with a bit of lag, I can time SS flashes here and there while the demon uses melee, and not take a hit.

2461/2496 Total, 35 levels to Completionist

Sunstriker: Path to Completionist Cape