Tip.It Times - 8th August 2010

Racheya

the second article makes alot of sence to me, and i can also say that I was about to become a drone thinking about going for 99 fishing or agility just because of the cape, but after reading it, im glad i caught the article, ive cant say i hant always done something in runescape that was fun for me, but im glad for the most part it was, i only have 1 99 and its cooking, and to me its quite enjoyable, i still find my self buying sharks just to cook again, and instead of being such a drone that i could've been im going to stick to a couple of the things that i enjoy like cooking (going for rank 10k) and slayer (love the fact that i dont have to kill 1 thing for long periods of time) and who knows mabye 1 day ill find intrest in other things, but for now ik whats fun for me

A slaYer KiD.png

Effigies: 5

draconic visage: 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagex supports combat more probably because a lot more people do it. I'm not saying people don't skill, they just don't as much. In my opinion, killing a monster with slayer is a lot more entertaining then fishing, or mining, or hunting, or agility...

EDIT: That is one huge quote tree down there...:blink:

Big_Stingman.png

[hide]

No one plays this game and doesn't have fun.

I can guarantee you that they do.

Introduce me to them sometime, that's all I'm going to say on this topic.

Go to rogues den and ask who is having fun and enjoying themselves. I would bet that not all of them will be. The same if you asked people the same question to people who are firemaking or fletching.

They may not be having fun at that moment. But why don't you ask them if they have ever had fun playing this game. People do things not because it is fun at that instant, but because it will be fun later, or was fun before. Yes, I hate firemaking, it is not fun. But EE was well worth it, and thus, I did have fun, just not lighting logs.

No one starts playing runescape and says "This is the most boring thing ever, I think I will come back here and play for the next 3 and 1/2 years, just so I can gripe and whine while I get 99 cooking, fletching, woodcutting, and firemaking."

A girl in my clan got 99 cooking at rogues den a bit ago. She didn't have fun doing it, I can guarantee that. I was a primary conversation partner with her via cc while she was roasting sharks. But now she has this cool new cape, and the ability to make a host of new outfits with it. (I guess somebody has to like that color purple, even if I don't) That is how she had fun.

Just because someone is not having fun at that time does not mean they do not have fun playing Runescape.

No one plays Runescape and does not have fun.

OT:

For the first article, it makes sense, but I do not see an easy fix. I do not see a way that Jagex can make skilling earn anything on par with MHing without causing huge inflation (while mining, you uncover a ancient artifact, swap it in at edge bank to Mandrith for money)

Since most people find that having large amounts of money is far preferable to being permanently broke, quite a few people train skills in fast manners in order to finish quickly and get to making lots of money.

How can you say that no one players runescape and does not have fun when in your statement you say you did not have fun while firemaking? That is the point of the whole article I think. People are willing to play a game where they are not having fun to have something small such as a cape at the end. Is it really worth it to spend hours of boredom for a pixelated item such as that, when you can be having much more fun going to a TET event for example?

[/hide]

I can say that because I am not stuck on the idea that "fun" means instant gratification.

You seem to dislike people who spend time doing something that you do not find enjoyable, in order to achieve something that they desire. And yet, when I check your stats, I see a prominent trio of 99s, namly cooking, woodcutting, and fletching. I mean, "Is it really worth it to spend hours of boredom for a pixelated item such as that"?

Also, just because I was not having fun firemaking does not mean that I wallow in a pit of boredom while playing this game. I was not having "fun" (your definition applies here, as best as I can gather) while firemaking, but not enjoying something is more like the normal order of things.

Just because someone is bored/unhappy at some point in time does not automatically lock them into hating their existence for eternity. I do have fun playing Runescape, I have lots of fun in fact. I just do not enjoy firemaking. However, it is a necessary evil in order to further my own enjoyment.

I think you are looking at the wrong account, I have none of those skills at 99, or even remotely high.

Cooking 190,434 87 4,264,065

Woodcutting 620,504 79 1,854,745

Fletching 392,324 80 1,986,267

I don't dislike those who do things they don't find fun, heck I have done it a few times in the past. You seem to be grasping the wrong end of the stick, I'm not trying to offend people saying it is wrong or they shouldn't play like that, I am simply asking and discussing, is it actually worth it for us to play like that?

Have people lost the ability to have pure fun without item based reward? Are skillcapes really worth it? When training the skill they often seem it, but when you actually obtain them, does it feel like a waste?

My apologies, I did indeed click on the wrong account name. #-o

And I do not think that people need item based rewards. I mean, I have plenty of fun w/o skill capes. And I happen to love barbarian assault, even though I already have full penance, a full master horn, and all that other cool stuff. I just teach my friends to play, and speed up their games by quite a bit because I am very good at that minigame. I don't play for the rewards anymore, I just dump my healer points into high level gamble, just so I can be rid of them and continue getting more :thumbsup:

My point was that just because people at not having fun now does not mean they have never had fun playing rs. People who play rs do have fun playing it, at some point. Everyone who plays this game will have fun, and has had fun, at some point in their RS career. I think this is what bladewing meant, that no one plays this game who truly does not enjoy anything they do on Runescape.

Everyone who plays this game does have fun at some point. If they are not enjoying the present, it is because they are in preparation to have different and more epic kinds of fun later on. They derive some sort of satisfaction completing things they may not, in and of themselves, be enjoyable.

pere_grin.png

When has woodcutting ever been a good moneymaker? I think that was the time when half the population in RS was cutting Yews and and continued to alch the then fletched Longbows...

You say it is supply and demand, and you are right: We demand it and the bots supply it...

One money maker being faster then the other is indeed not a problem... UNLESS you try to prove that the focus shifts away form skilling and unto combat in the entire spectrum of it (which was Storm's point all a long)... And even then, noone cuts oak logs when they can cut yews, same reason why worlds are crowded in the GWD but not at cockatrices... Fail arguments...

But as I said; await with the comments on that until ive written my artice on it (should appear about October)...

Yew logs are as high now as they've ever been and they're still only ~110k gp/hr in the best of circumstances. If that was ever a good moneymaker, the alternatives must have been pretty crappy. Woodcutting is terrible for money and has been for as long as I can remember. Same with fishing.

Anyway, what I mean is that "A is a faster moneymaker than B" does not imply "The focus of the game is shifting away from B." Skills are still important. In fact, I would argue skills are now more important than ever with the introduction of dungeoneering to make use of previously-useless skills like smithing, as well as updates like the high-level herblore potions.

Oh, and these combat moneymakers that are so thoroughly trouncing noncombat skills are (with the exception of the frost dragons, which are more of a "dungeoneering" moneymaker anyway) bosses, which should not be equated with "combat" in general. Ordinary combat moneymakers like dragons are still roughly on par with or slower than noncombat skills like hunter, mining, herblore, or runecrafting.

Yew Logs, Flax and Nature Runes were once the backbone of the GP influx rate in RuneScape, and I'm guessing this was the case about 3 years ago... Sharks were 1k a piece then, and then bots invaded, bringing it down to 300gp a piece...

Dungeoneering may make skilling more important then before Dungeoneering, but you only need the level... It does not matter to the current argument...

People dont skill anymore to make money AT ALL, they all opt for the faster XP option, and let bots do the gathering...

And its not just bosses... Its lower level monsters too, like Green Dragons (650k per hour), Blue Dragons (400k-500k) Spiritual mages (500k), Aviansies (400k-600k), Dagganoths (500k), Aberant Spectres (500k-1m), and none of these are boss monsters... And this is without any Clues incorporated...

To compare that with an AWESOME and HIGH level (91+) skilling money maker of Double Nature runes: 800k an hour...

Bots keep the prices of Red Chinchompa's low, w84 does the same with Gold Ore, and Herblore only LOSES money... Even if you referred to farming herbs, and add that to other skilling money makers, it does not compare to the better money makers with combat...

Op top of that; for skilling to be a good money maker, you have to have high levels (80+ is a minimum)... For combat money makers? Not neccisarily so ...

So all in all; the writer is EXACTLY implying what you say cant be implied... The focus is shifting from skilling to combat throughout the game, and HE didnt even need the economic proof to make his point... I did it just to add that extra oomph...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

I don't think I have ever seen someone with sub 80 combat levels actually make huge amounts of money MHing. Unless of course you include green and blue drags, aviansies, and ab specs. And usually people with 83+ slayer have much higher combat levels then 80. At least from all the people I've seen down there.

As for me, I don't really quantify the money earned skilling in a gp/hour ratio. I fail at maxing out my profit per hour skilling, as I usually do it while I do something else. I (and I believe I am not alone in this) usually reckon the money earned while skilling as profit per xp. So if I was going to get 99 fishing, I wouldn't worry about making the max amount per hour, I would do monks to 85, cave fish to 90, and rocktail to 99. Then I would add up all the money I earned getting that much fishing xp. And I would probably do homework and other things the entire time.

So my profit per hour would be low skilling, but while doing other stuff, I may only spend 15 minutes every hour fishing, in total. Just enough to bank and switch fishing spots. And for this, I would gain roughly 75% of the max profit per hour fishing, while only actually spending 25% of the time fishing. This would bring fishing up in profit per hour quite a bit.

pere_grin.png

The first article is well-written, but I don't exactly agree. The profit from MHing maxes at around 5M/h (that's with maxed stats, the best gear, overloads, a chaotic weapon, and maybe a divine spirit shield for a few bosses). The profit from skilling hovers a little above 1M/h. There is a perfect balance between the two. Making 5M/h from MHing requires so much more time and money, luck, patience, and there's the ever-present possibility of dying. There's also the intense competition across all worlds.

Skilling provides a relaxed, consistent source of money with no risk and little competition (unless hunting for imps or rune ores). On top of that, the only expensive item that a skiller will ever have to invest in is a dragon pickaxe, which means they need less money than MHers.

However, I do think skilling could do with a way to make a little more money at extremely high levels.

EDIT: Second article is kind of typical and stating the obvious. Expected.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I don't think I have ever seen someone with sub 80 combat levels actually make huge amounts of money MHing. Unless of course you include green and blue drags, aviansies, and ab specs. And usually people with 83+ slayer have much higher combat levels then 80. At least from all the people I've seen down there.

As for me, I don't really quantify the money earned skilling in a gp/hour ratio. I fail at maxing out my profit per hour skilling, as I usually do it while I do something else. I (and I believe I am not alone in this) usually reckon the money earned while skilling as profit per xp. So if I was going to get 99 fishing, I wouldn't worry about making the max amount per hour, I would do monks to 85, cave fish to 90, and rocktail to 99. Then I would add up all the money I earned getting that much fishing xp. And I would probably do homework and other things the entire time.

So my profit per hour would be low skilling, but while doing other stuff, I may only spend 15 minutes every hour fishing, in total. Just enough to bank and switch fishing spots. And for this, I would gain roughly 75% of the max profit per hour fishing, while only actually spending 25% of the time fishing. This would bring fishing up in profit per hour quite a bit.

Lets think here, I've seen plenty of level 30s making 200K an hour at flesh crawlers which with an equivalent fishing level they wouldn't even come close to that amount. Furthermore, how on earth can you discount green dragons, specters, aviansies and their ilk? Thats probably the biggest part of monster hunting. As for those with high levels, they can do activities such as barrows, gwd, td's and high level slayer monsters that simply just blow skilling out of the water. The point is that in order to make more money than someone your level doing spectres, drags etc they would have to have like 99 hunter and be no-lifing grenwalls or some such. Even then, tds would put them to shame

Now, as for the "afk value of fishing" or whatever that you seem to put in such high regard, Its obvious that giant skeletons or bandits might be more your speed.

"In order to lead, you must learn how to carry your followers upon your shoulders"

"A man is not only defined by his abilities, but also by those of the men with which he surrounds himself"

"The meek fight for skill and fame, the strong fight for power with the skill and fame they already have"

Yew Logs, Flax and Nature Runes were once the backbone of the GP influx rate in RuneScape, and I'm guessing this was the case about 3 years ago... Sharks were 1k a piece then, and then bots invaded, bringing it down to 300gp a piece...

Doesn't change the fact they're a terrible moneymaker. And sharks are still a weak moneymaker even at 1k each.

And its not just bosses... Its lower level monsters too, like Green Dragons (650k per hour), Blue Dragons (400k-500k) Spiritual mages (500k), Aviansies (400k-600k), Dagganoths (500k), Aberant Spectres (500k-1m), and none of these are boss monsters... And this is without any Clues incorporated...

To compare that with an AWESOME and HIGH level (91+) skilling money maker of Double Nature runes: 800k an hour...

Bots keep the prices of Red Chinchompa's low, w84 does the same with Gold Ore, and Herblore only LOSES money... Even if you referred to farming herbs, and add that to other skilling money makers, it does not compare to the better money makers with combat...

Op top of that; for skilling to be a good money maker, you have to have high levels (80+ is a minimum)... For combat money makers? Not neccisarily so ...

Those figures you're mentioning are all based on testing from high levels, aren't they? At least 70 range for aviansies, 70s in melee for dragons, 83 slayer for spirit mages. Try killing blue dragons with straight 40s in combat stats. In comparison, farming ranarrs only takes level 32, and that's a good 1m+ gp/hr.

For herblore, making unfinished can turn more than 1m gp/hr profit.

Skillers deserve rights too! The stupidest thing they could have done is make effigies combat only. Each skill you do should yield an effigy for that particular skill only. Stupid combat noobs, they are always immature brats too. I only train combat these days for slayer and nothing else.

XBL: Zwolf wolf

When Runescape Gives you lemons, Alch them!

screen-capture-2-1-1-1.png?t=1279351491

Sorry Brand, I was a man in the first place, sorry to disappoint you. :\

Doesn't change the fact they're a terrible moneymaker. And sharks are still a weak moneymaker even at 1k each.

Those figures you're mentioning are all based on testing from high levels, aren't they? At least 70 range for aviansies, 70s in melee for dragons, 83 slayer for spirit mages. Try killing blue dragons with straight 40s in combat stats. In comparison, farming ranarrs only takes level 32, and that's a good 1m+ gp/hr.

For herblore, making unfinished can turn more than 1m gp/hr profit.

To clarify a bit, I don't want anyone to think I'm arguing that noncombat skills are better moneymakers than combat or something like that. That up there is just nitpicking on a few particular examples.

Point is, nothing has really changed here regarding the balance of combat and noncombat. Combat has always been central to the game, being a core premise of the genre and all. Combat levels have been displayed above characters since RSC, maybe even since DeviousMUD. Storm talks about players being "steered away" from noncombat skills, but this implies that they were being "steered" more towards them at some point in the past, which just isn't true. It's like people who complain that Christmas is just a commercial holiday nowadays. Well, yeah, it is, but that sort of tone implies that there was some point in the past where it wasn't.

It isn't as if noncombat skills are being ignored. We've gotten all sorts of updates that aren't just about killing things. Shattered Heart is a prime example. Plus dragon pickaxes, the impling update, those updates to agility, and so on. And those are just the updates geared specifically toward them--you can see consideration of noncombat skills popping up all over the place. Check out the rewards at Fist of Guthix or Stealing Creation. Notice how court summons can be gained from pickpocketing. Etc.

"A lyric that comes to mind as sung by Tim McIlrath is 'The drones they slave away, theyre working overtime, they serve a faceless queen, and never question why'."

Drones by Rise Against, right? Thanks for that reference :thumbup:

Actually, Fist of Guthix is a combat minigame. Same in Stealing Creation if you're playing the game the way they "intended". (So, for instance, a pure skiller will usually get blown up by that guy with the ancients. Those WC levels aren't going to stop the ice barrage spawncamping.)

Oh, but I guess you're right about the dragon pick since that's gained by skilling.

WAIT NEVER MIND HA HA JOKES ON US

Meanwhile, every force conspires to devalue every type of skilling drop, while every force also conspires to make the best drops from combat very, very exclusive.

Hm I guess skilling wins over combat right

8f14270694.jpg

Actually, Fist of Guthix is a combat minigame. Same in Stealing Creation if you're playing the game the way they "intended". (So, for instance, a pure skiller will usually get blown up by that guy with the ancients. Those WC levels aren't going to stop the ice barrage spawncamping.)

Oh, but I guess you're right about the dragon pick since that's gained by skilling.

WAIT NEVER MIND HA HA JOKES ON US

Meanwhile, every force conspires to devalue every type of skilling drop, while every force also conspires to make the best drops from combat very, very exclusive.

Hm I guess skilling wins over combat right

^ Missing the point.

At some point you may almost think that every single benefit from skilling (or training skilling directly through skilling methods) is much more easily obtained as a direct result of combat, but then that would be kind of depressing and we stop thinking.

8f14270694.jpg

[hide]

When has woodcutting ever been a good moneymaker? I think that was the time when half the population in RS was cutting Yews and and continued to alch the then fletched Longbows...

You say it is supply and demand, and you are right: We demand it and the bots supply it...

One money maker being faster then the other is indeed not a problem... UNLESS you try to prove that the focus shifts away form skilling and unto combat in the entire spectrum of it (which was Storm's point all a long)... And even then, noone cuts oak logs when they can cut yews, same reason why worlds are crowded in the GWD but not at cockatrices... Fail arguments...

But as I said; await with the comments on that until ive written my artice on it (should appear about October)...

Yew logs are as high now as they've ever been and they're still only ~110k gp/hr in the best of circumstances. If that was ever a good moneymaker, the alternatives must have been pretty crappy. Woodcutting is terrible for money and has been for as long as I can remember. Same with fishing.

Anyway, what I mean is that "A is a faster moneymaker than B" does not imply "The focus of the game is shifting away from B." Skills are still important. In fact, I would argue skills are now more important than ever with the introduction of dungeoneering to make use of previously-useless skills like smithing, as well as updates like the high-level herblore potions.

Oh, and these combat moneymakers that are so thoroughly trouncing noncombat skills are (with the exception of the frost dragons, which are more of a "dungeoneering" moneymaker anyway) bosses, which should not be equated with "combat" in general. Ordinary combat moneymakers like dragons are still roughly on par with or slower than noncombat skills like hunter, mining, herblore, or runecrafting.

Dungeoneering may make skilling more important then before Dungeoneering, but you only need the level... It does not matter to the current argument...

People dont skill anymore to make money AT ALL, they all opt for the faster XP option, and let bots do the gathering...

So all in all; the writer is EXACTLY implying what you say cant be implied... The focus is shifting from skilling to combat throughout the game, and HE didnt even need the economic proof to make his point... I did it just to add that extra oomph...

[/hide]

Lets think here, I've seen plenty of level 30s making 200K an hour at flesh crawlers which with an equivalent fishing level they wouldn't even come close to that amount. Furthermore, how on earth can you discount green dragons, specters, aviansies and their ilk? Thats probably the biggest part of monster hunting. As for those with high levels, they can do activities such as barrows, gwd, td's and high level slayer monsters that simply just blow skilling out of the water. The point is that in order to make more money than someone your level doing spectres, drags etc they would have to have like 99 hunter and be no-lifing grenwalls or some such. Even then, tds would put them to shame

Now, as for the "afk value of fishing" or whatever that you seem to put in such high regard, Its obvious that giant skeletons or bandits might be more your speed.

I use MHing to refer to bosses.

I was just using fishing as an example of how profit per hour is actually higher then it seems, because I suspect the majority of people who fish, train woodcutting, or other skills of the same type, train them in this manner. They spend little time actually performing the skill, and they still are able to perform at a decent efficiency while spending far less time actually "skilling". This is exactly the case with farming.

I have done the majority of my melee training through slayer, with the occasional chunk of xp gotten while camping for drops such as black masks, whips, tokkul, or charms.

Also, as troacctid stated, high gp/hour rates can be obtained in farming ranarrs, or making unf pots. Neither of these takes very long to achieve, ranarrs are 32 farming, and you can make unf pots almost immediately after finishing druidic ritual. This is slower xp with much higher monetary yield. The same goes for boss hunting, the xp/hour isn't really that great at bandos, armadyl, TDs, or corp. But the profit is much higher.

pere_grin.png

Also, as troacctid stated, high gp/hour rates can be obtained in farming ranarrs, or making unf pots. Neither of these takes very long to achieve, ranarrs are 32 farming, and you can make unf pots almost immediately after finishing druidic ritual. This is slower xp with much higher monetary yield. The same goes for boss hunting, the xp/hour isn't really that great at bandos, armadyl, TDs, or corp. But the profit is much higher.

In my humble opinion farming is the exception that proves the rule, what do you do in between the farming runs... I certainly hope its not watching grass grow (pun intended). In those 80 minutes you could either skill or monster hunt, so which one would be greater profit.

As for the shift of the focus being towards combat, you just proved it. Fast skilling xp (as stated previously as well) and high profit from combat.... its what everyone wanted now why does it feel so wrong?

"In order to lead, you must learn how to carry your followers upon your shoulders"

"A man is not only defined by his abilities, but also by those of the men with which he surrounds himself"

"The meek fight for skill and fame, the strong fight for power with the skill and fame they already have"

In my humble opinion farming is the exception that proves the rule, what do you do in between the farming runs... I certainly hope its not watching grass grow (pun intended). In those 80 minutes you could either skill or monster hunt, so which one would be greater profit.

As for the shift of the focus being towards combat, you just proved it. Fast skilling xp (as stated previously as well) and high profit from combat.... its what everyone wanted now why does it feel so wrong?

Actually, I said slow skilling xp, for much higher profit.

pere_grin.png

But, if positive changes in skilling mean just speeding it up, doesn't that kind of imply that the main goal you would want in skilling is to be done with it, rather than wanting to skill? It just kind of pushes the issue aside.

If they want to make combat the main focus, then they may as well just outright say that they expect everybody to participate in combat most of the time and remove most of the arbitrarily imposed barriers that make skilling tedious, just so that everybody else can get back to fighting instead of imagining that they can actually get anywhere just by skilling without combat. All this pandering makes me think that they enjoy lying and trying to make something their game isn't rather than actually trying to work with what it is. They want to be like the other games. Any statements they make about giving skillers a fair shake can be taken as just lip service so you'll keep playing.

Am I missing the point now?

8f14270694.jpg

well, I would say its a crazy world really. For skills, after the GE, any raw materials became more expensive. I remember selling coal for 150g each as a f2p(which usually had higher prices than P2P) and now its over 250g per coal. So smithing profits began to vanish. So did cooking and herblore and other creation skills. Gathering skills like fishing still retain money making, but since it is easier to level up, people are willing to pay less for the over abundance. But its still actually just a matter of what you prefer to do. I think it is obvious that after a point, the combat player would not pay a certain price for a shark. If they had to pay 2k for a cooked shark, I am sure they would find their own food, or use something cheaper. Likewise, if all the fishers get fed up and quit fishing, then there is less supply, so then the combat people will pay more to get their food more quickly. So however it works out, its ultimately up to how many people choose to do what activities. If you remember, after the living rock caverns opened, many fishers went in to fish this new set of superior fish. This took away from how many shark fishers there were, so prices rose. The diversifying of activities makes prices go up on certain skiller items. But I think the real reason combat is better to make money, is because the lower level players, even CB 70 and below don't realize that combat is actually a way to gain combat levels and make great money, being used to mediocre monsters that don't drop anything worth while. I know I was shocked when I learned combat is so good at making money.

XBL: Zwolf wolf

When Runescape Gives you lemons, Alch them!

screen-capture-2-1-1-1.png?t=1279351491

Sorry Brand, I was a man in the first place, sorry to disappoint you. :\

But, if positive changes in skilling mean just speeding it up, doesn't that kind of imply that the main goal you would want in skilling is to be done with it, rather than wanting to skill? It just kind of pushes the issue aside.

If they want to make combat the main focus, then they may as well just outright say that they expect everybody to participate in combat most of the time and remove most of the arbitrarily imposed barriers that make skilling tedious, just so that everybody else can get back to fighting instead of imagining that they can actually get anywhere just by skilling without combat. All this pandering makes me think that they enjoy lying and trying to make something their game isn't rather than actually trying to work with what it is. They want to be like the other games. Any statements they make about giving skillers a fair shake can be taken as just lip service so you'll keep playing.

Am I missing the point now?

Combat really has always been the main focus of Runescape. I don't think Jagex is lying by not putting a disclaimer on the main site (that's a pretty ludicrous accusation, actually). Quests, PVP, most activities, and the fact that almost all skilling results in combat-related products is a pretty big hint. Can you get by in Runescape by just skilling? Absolutely; there's nothing you can't get if you skill enough, but the most expensive skilling tool is a dragon pickaxe, whereas divine spirit shields and other combat-related gear is far more expensive, and rightfully so.

You can do anything you want in Runescape and get by at a reasonable pace (unless you chop yews for money). Combat is a high risk, high return venture. Skilling isn't. It balances out nicely.

dgs5.jpg

I'm not really convinced that it's a high risk venture if there are posts discussing at length how people need to crash each other at monster hunting spots in order to cope with overcrowding.

Also "anything you want except you'll be crushed by inflation if you're not monster hunting" isn't exactly the answer I was looking for.

I'm not against having just another game that is largely focused on combat, I just don't want to be told that you have the freedom to do otherwise and still be playing the game instead of being somebody else's footstool to the best content.

8f14270694.jpg

No one plays this game and doesn't have fun.

I can guarantee you that they do.

Introduce me to them sometime, that's all I'm going to say on this topic.

Hi, I play this game only because of friendships i've made, I find it boring as hell when they are not online and logout out of boredom quickly.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

yeh with effigies and clue scrolls itseems like combat is the only thing that gets u ahead in this gmae lol

and for bosses they have higher droprates of effigies its more effiecient to camp tds and use effiges on rc than grahak and even zmi >.>

i guess its a good point when ur doing rocktail ur not really fishing but afking or w/e but u can kinda afk slayer monsters and they give good gp/hr

i think bosshunting especcially solo is pretty fair in the money it gives though as you have to get the money for decent gear and have to pay attention whole time , deal with other players......and not gaining exp..

but it sucks that cant make any good money skilling sure u can say oh i make 1b getting 200m fish on rocktail oh i make xb getting 200m rc exp off deaths but if you monsterhunted in that time ud have way more

so basicly its bosshunt for money and then power through skills

StarViv.png

I'm not really convinced that it's a high risk venture if there are posts discussing at length how people need to crash each other at monster hunting spots in order to cope with overcrowding.

What? The only correlation between the risk and competition is that your competition will sometimes try to get you killed. And how are you not convinced that it's a high risk venture? If you die at GWD, you lose your stuff. If you die at DKs, you lose your stuff unless some nice guy in bursting lobs decides to help you. TDs is really the only place where you're pretty much guaranteed to get your stuff back.

Also "anything you want except you'll be crushed by inflation if you're not monster hunting" isn't exactly the answer I was looking for.

Inflation doesn't have anything to do with it. Profits from MHing are a little less than five times the profits from skilling, which is a pretty good ratio, all things considered.

I'm not against having just another game that is largely focused on combat, I just don't want to be told that you have the freedom to do otherwise and still be playing the game instead of being somebody else's footstool to the best content.

As far as I know, Jagex has always promoted a rounded gaming experience. They don't want you to spend all of your time skilling. If all you want to do is skill, you should expect very little sympathy. Sorry, but that's how it is.

dgs5.jpg