Fake Tip.It e-mail

Hi you Tip.It users,

It seems someone has gone through the trouble of sending a few malicious e-mails out. We want to warn you about it, so you can avoid getting scammed.

This is how it looks:

This email has been sent from http://forum.tip.it/index.php.

------------------------------------------------

Please Reverify Your Account

------------------------------------------------

This message has been sent to all Tip.It Forum users.

To make room for new accounts, we are asking everyone to reverify their account.

Anyone who doesn\'t reverify their account will have their account deleted.

We\'re sorry if this causes any inconvenience, but we need more disk space.

To reverify your account, use this link:

<BAD LINK HERE>

Thank you for continuing to stay loyal to Tip.It Forum!

Kind regards,

Tip.It

The link goes to a fake Tip.It, which says that your account has been verified and asks you to log in again on it. Basically it is phishing for Tip.It forum passwords and accounts, and probably even hoping that you are using your Tip.It password for RuneScape.

Please take this as a reminder:

• Don't click on links without checking them first
  • Don't use your RuneScape password for Tip.It or other places
  • Consider the source - spellcheck would have cried its way through that e-mail... And disk space? Not so much

On behalf of Tip.It Staff,

Laikrob

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

Thanks for the heads-up, Laikrob. :D ... Seems like those danged phishers/spammers/black-hats(evil version of hackers) just can't keep the heck away from nice places like Tip.It ... :roll:

<*leaves a fresh bag of cookies by Laikrob's desk as thanks for the info*>

~D. V. "News like this is helpful." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I came across this blog post the other day and it has some relevance here.

http://safeandsavvy.f-secure.com/2010/05/26/the-golden-rule-security/

The Golden Rule of Social Media Security: LINKS ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Thanks for the heads up Laikrob!

Finally on here to update that I have officially quit! It's been fun.
[hide=Signature]
Gandalf14141.png
R.I.P Billy Mays and <3 My Friend C.D.S 7/8/09 <3
60,816th to 99 Fletching 03/07/09|220,309th Person to be Able to Kill Dusties 10 Year Cape on 12/20/14[/hide]

grammar2gr8dx.png

*shakes head* will phishers never learn?

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

And for those of you curious as to how that link that was posted there, a few of us tested it with a virtual machine. It redirects you to a false site that looks like this one. After entering the details, nothing really happens, although the site probably logs what's typed in for them to try later.

Don't enter the link either way.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

Always be careful when clicking links of any sort even from those you think you can trust. Even if the link isn't malicious you can avoid some pranks that way also.

65495229.png

With love to one, friendship to many, and good will to all.

The grammar on that email is actually surprisingly good for a scam email. Didn't get it though, thanks for the heads up :)

Well that would make it sound legit, a lot of the scam mail has good English, they want it to sound as real as possible.

I sorta get what your trying to say though..

Anyway I get alot of emails like that because I register my email on alot of websites (Lots of spam but meh) so I knew it was fake :D

The grammar on that email is actually surprisingly good for a scam email. Didn't get it though, thanks for the heads up :)

Well that would make it sound legit, a lot of the scam mail has good English, they want it to sound as real as possible.

I sorta get what your trying to say though..

Anyway I get alot of emails like that because I register my email on alot of websites (Lots of spam but meh) so I knew it was fake :D

A lot of it comes from those who don't have English as their first language though, so the grammar can be pretty atrocious.

Got an email today.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

It's easy to tell if the e-mail is fake or not... there are \'s inbetween the apostrophes.

Thanks for the heads up anyways.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention