Tip.It Times - 15th August 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice reads, as usual.

I always find glitches in Runescape to be quite fascinating to read about, although I do wish there were more than just 3 ish described in each article - I'm a quick reader, so I tear through these articles within a few minutes of opening them, lol. I can understand time and space constraints for them to only be this long, though.

The account sharing thing I have seen in the past - I personally have witnessed a few people (I assume were part of a clan or something) talking about getting someone else in their clan to do something on their account for them, or vice versa. I also remember a different person (also apart of the same clan I would assume) commenting on being careful about what the first person was talking about, although the first guy kinda waved him off saying, "it's not like anyone would bother to report me" or something similar.

I personally am neutral on the subject, although I personally would never ask a friend or family member to do something for me on my account since, to me anyway, my levels and such are accomplishments, and getting someone else to do stuff for me takes away from the sense of accomplishment. Basically, I believe if you're foolish enough to get someone to do something for you on your own account, you're foolish enough to lose said account, regardless of what Jagex's rules are on the subject.

As for the glitch article, I already knew about the safe deaths and falador massacre from my own reading on the wiki and such, but the pvp bug I didn't know about. Honestly, it seemed like... I dunno, an obvious thing that Jagex should've picked up on to begin with, but then again, I'm not too surprised they didn't. Maybe I'm just cynical or something :P

Link_Olaran.png

I agree with Ts_Stormrage on account sharing, I have never done it and never will. My achievements (mediocre though they are <_< ) would all feel cheap if I knew someone else had been accessing my account.

Reading about old bugs is cool too, and has got to be the longest running repetitive article yet. No?

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

I wholeheartedly agree with TS on account sharing. I would never want anybody else to do something on my account for me. It would cheapen all the achievements I would achieve. It is also just such a huge security risk. We may as well be putting our items in their banks when giving out our passwords.

I have often seen people using other people's accounts in clans. I could reel off a big list of accounts which have been used by multiple people. I don't really dislike them doing it, but I personally would not do so.

I have been on somebody else's account before. I even had access to their bank as I was given their bank pin. However, the situation did call for it and was only for good. I once ran a clan, and two members of it were very good friends. One of them lent the other a guthan's set of armour to do the Fight caves, and at the time (this is going back many years), the set was one of the most expensive things in the game. The person who had been lent the set then claimed to have been hacked and lost it after logging out at the fight caves (He had a bank pin so they couldn't access the bank). They trusted me enough to go on his account, give me the bank pin and check his bank to see if he had been hacked, or whether he had stolen and sold it. He had in fact been hacked (as far as I could see and make from what he told me). In this event, sharing the account did no harm, but did good. So it can be very circumstantial.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

http://www.tip.it/runescape/?page=durial321_interview.htm

Classic.

Good articles, certainly looking forward to the Runefest review, Stormrage! It's a shame that Jagex put the ticket prices so high or else i'd be joining you! :(

Boom! Dead Shot

Another week of very interesting articles.

On the behalf of account-sharing, you really got me into a shocked face with the number of 70%. I knew it was not too uncommon, but that it actually are so much, I wouldn't have believed that.

I have a very close rl friend, who got me to runescape playing and I know I could trust him to 100%. Yet I haven't given, and never will give him my password. One reason is of course that I want my achievements to be mine, but the bigger one is probably simply that I don't do it. I don't give passwords to anyone. It's simply a principle, not necessarily thinking about what could happen if it goes wrong. And well, others may be lacking that principe, and I'd deem it possible to give my password away without this one.

Yeah, I noticed I mainly just bubbled stuff which doesn't contribute to discussion in any way - oh well. :rolleyes:

I've always liked the article on bugs, mainly because I'm interested in how they work, what faults the programmers made. I like seeing it from the programmer's side, maybe because I like Java coding myself(I suck tho :unsure:) I'd love it if you could do an article about the more complicated bugs, which weren't necessarily major but you know, those who at first glance actually have nothing to do with the update itself.

Yeah, I think that's it for now.

Article #1: In 2007 or 2008, I found this MHing clan (DKs, primarily) that was considered to be one of the more elite clans at the time. It was around then that I decided that my goal was to max combat and slayer, so that clan became my "goal," in a way. I started lurking their forums and getting to know some of the members, and I discovered that one of the leaders had gotten fire capes for almost every single person in the clan. They were a very close-knit community, so they never had problems with account stealing or anything, but it really turned me off that these supposed "elite" players were letting some other guy get their fire capes for them. It was weird for me.

I related to the article in a lot of ways (no, not THAT way).

Article #2: I didn't know about the drop potential glitch. Decent, informative article.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Heh...

Me and Mirrorforced had been debating how long it would take for someone admitting they shared accoutns at some point...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Article #1: In 2007 or 2008, I found this MHing clan (DKs, primarily) that was considered to be one of the more elite clans at the time. It was around then that I decided that my goal was to max combat and slayer, so that clan became my "goal," in a way. I started lurking their forums and getting to know some of the members, and I discovered that one of the leaders had gotten fire capes for almost every single person in the clan. They were a very close-knit community, so they never had problems with account stealing or anything, but it really turned me off that these supposed "elite" players were letting some other guy get their fire capes for them. It was weird for me.

Yea i used to be in a pure clan where this guy was going to get the leader a fire cape.

Leader got hacked, and given 27 defence or something stupid, was pretty fail :thumbup:

O.O

I've always liked the article on bugs, mainly because I'm interested in how they work, what faults the programmers made. I like seeing it from the programmer's side, maybe because I like Java coding myself(I suck tho :unsure:) I'd love it if you could do an article about the more complicated bugs, which weren't necessarily major but you know, those who at first glance actually have nothing to do with the update itself.

Because jagex doesn't test, they introduce a bug, try to patch it, and a while later it is reborned when someone finds a way around the one step that was patched.

Rinse and repeat.

The saddest thing is that Jagex does know near- game breaking bugs but can't fix them.

The drop potential glitch was for the most part swept cleanly under the rug soon after it was leaked to the public, and considering how many people were already abusing pvp drops the more common way, did not register a large amount of activity compared to other glitches like the ones allowing people to do multiple things simultaneously, or the related bug that stopped all monster AI from working.

I miss skill multitasking :P

8f14270694.jpg

Very nice articles again, I was very surprised that the rate of account sharing was so high. Maybe I shouldn't though, my best friend and I both know each others passwords and pins, but we never go on the others account unless we're together trying to help one another. I'd never do it with anyone I met online though, that's just asking for trouble.

As for the other article, very nice short read, not anything to really get me thinking but reading about glitches is always fun.

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/aspeeder/Siggy_zpsewaiux2t.png

99 Strength since 6/02/10 99 Attack since 9/19/10 99 Constitution since 10/03/10 99 Defense since 3/14/11

99 Slayer since 8/30/11 99 Summoning since 9/10/11 99 Ranged since 09/18/11 99 Magic since 11/12/11

99 Prayer since 11/15/11 99 Herblore since 3/29/12 99 Firemaking since 5/15/12 99 Smithing since 10/04/12

99 Crafting since 9/16/13 99 Agility since 9/23/13 99 Dungeoneering since 1/1/14 99 Fishing since 2/4/14

99 Mining since 2/28/14 99 Farming since 6/04/14 99 Cooking since 6/11/14 99 Runecrafting since 10/10/14

9 Fletching since 11/11/14 99 Thieving since 11/14/14 99 Woodcutting since 11/20/14 99 Construction since 12/03/14

99 Divination since 2/22/15 99 Hunter since 2/23/15 99 Invention since 01/20/17 99 Archaeology since 5/14/22
Quest Point Cape since 08/20/09
Maxed since 2/23/15 Fire Cape since 02/27/13
Slayer: 3 Leaf-Bladed Swords, 8 Black Masks, 2 Hexcrests, 26 Granite Mauls, 5 Focus Sights, 32 Abyssal Whips, 9 Dark Bows, 1 Whip Vine, 3 Staffs of Light, 15 Polypore Sticks

Dragon: 9 Draconic Visages, 7 Shield Left Halves, 20 Dragon Boots, 40 Dragon Med Helms, 8 Dragon Platelegs, 6 Dragon Spears, 20 Dragon Daggers, 5 Dragon Plateskirts, 1 Dragon Chainbody, 63 Off-hand Dragon Throwing Axes, 19 Dragon Longswords, 27 Dragon Maces, 1 Dragon Ward
Treasure Trails: Saradomin Full Helm, Ranger Boots, Rune Body (t), Saradomin Vambraces, Various God Pages
Misc:1 Onyx,1 Ahrim's Hood, 1 Guthan's Chainskirt, 1 Demon Slayer Boots

I never account shared ....but yeh alot of people have got firecapes for other people either a person failed too much or they too lazy and they dont htink much of it...

but awhile ago on another game my friend lent me his password to change it as he got hacked. I didnt do anything bad on it but it was a bit wierd.

back in the day people use to lend party hats without the trade limit.....they builded like "walls of trust " on tipit where lots of people lent them the partyhat and they gave back but it was strongly discouraged it was like...they always have a chance of taking it. but what if you lent a party hat and a friend of 3 years deleted you and removed all contact with u.

StarViv.png

I don't think account sharing should be against the rules, nor should it be bannable. Jagex should just have a little "warning" in stronghold of security or whatnot that says "do it at your own risk, idiot". If you lose your account/items because you share your account, it's your own damn fault.

I wholeheartedly agree with TS on account sharing. I would never want anybody else to do something on my account for me. It would cheapen all the achievements I would achieve. It is also just such a huge security risk. We may as well be putting our items in their banks when giving out our passwords.

I have often seen people using other people's accounts in clans. I could reel off a big list of accounts which have been used by multiple people. I don't really dislike them doing it, but I personally would not do so.

I have been on somebody else's account before. I even had access to their bank as I was given their bank pin. However, the situation did call for it and was only for good. I once ran a clan, and two members of it were very good friends. One of them lent the other a guthan's set of armour to do the Fight caves, and at the time (this is going back many years), the set was one of the most expensive things in the game. The person who had been lent the set then claimed to have been hacked and lost it after logging out at the fight caves (He had a bank pin so they couldn't access the bank). They trusted me enough to go on his account, give me the bank pin and check his bank to see if he had been hacked, or whether he had stolen and sold it. He had in fact been hacked (as far as I could see and make from what he told me). In this event, sharing the account did no harm, but did good. So it can be very circumstantial.

I agree, with my current account at least. I want everything done myself.

However, I disagree with something TS said, about the RWT sites, as they are actually rather safe, in order to keep business. You are far more likely to be "phised" or "keylogged" through an e-mail link, etc then to lose an account from someone gathering gold for you.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I don't think account sharing should be against the rules, nor should it be bannable. Jagex should just have a little "warning" in stronghold of security or whatnot that says "do it at your own risk, idiot". If you lose your account/items because you share your account, it's your own damn fault.

While I see your point, account sharing does one other thing. If you have 2 or 3 people playing an account it gives that account a huge advantage over other accounts with only 1 owner, as far as the ability to train is concerned. There would be no way for me to compete with an account that has twice as much available time to train. As others have mentioned about the Firecapes, it can also let someone do something for an account that its original owner might not have been able to. Account sharing can give an unfair advantage.

Tonguetamer3.png

Runescape: Winter 2002/2003 - May 2011

While I see your point, account sharing does one other thing. If you have 2 or 3 people playing an account it gives that account a huge advantage over other accounts with only 1 owner, as far as the ability to train is concerned. There would be no way for me to compete with an account that has twice as much available time to train. As others have mentioned about the Firecapes, it can also let someone do something for an account that its original owner might not have been able to. Account sharing can give an unfair advantage.

Not unfair if everyone can do it.

Also it's unfair that a middle school child can play 8 hours a day, while I can only play a few because of studies. Do you see me complaining?

e: NO, I don't complain, because it doesn't matter if you're better than me. :thumbup:

While i generally agree that account sharing is pretty stupid i have to say that i know my sons passwords and pins. there is a difference in sharing to gain an unfair advantage and keeping tabs on your children.

yes, the difference is called blatant invasion of privacy :rolleyes:

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

While i generally agree that account sharing is pretty stupid i have to say that i know my sons passwords and pins. there is a difference in sharing to gain an unfair advantage and keeping tabs on your children.

not when they are 7 and 8 years old

not when they are 7 and 8 years old

then they're violating the jagex TOS and shouldn't be playing.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png