Tip.It Times - 15th August 2010

Racheya

While i generally agree that account sharing is pretty stupid i have to say that i know my sons passwords and pins. there is a difference in sharing to gain an unfair advantage and keeping tabs on your children.

yes, the difference is called blatant invasion of privacy :rolleyes:

not when they are 7 and 8 years old

then they're violating the jagex TOS and shouldn't be playing.

which specific rule. children under 13 are allowed by jagex to play and the jagex parental guide has a number of statements about what they expect parents to do to keep tabs on minors

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, account sharing. Once you get a good look around 'cheat sites', you realise that half the time, something someone did was not legitimate.

I've seen many people admit to account sharing on IRC, I'm frankly not surprised.

Hmmm. Account sharing kind of goes hand-in-hand with botting to me. I would personally never do either, not just because it's against the rules, but because I think it cheapens those achievements. I just wouldn't feel the same sense of accomplishment. Sometimes when I'm wandering around RS, I wonder how many of the skillcapes I see were earned legitimately...

I don't think account sharing should be against the rules, nor should it be bannable. Jagex should just have a little "warning" in stronghold of security or whatnot that says "do it at your own risk, idiot". If you lose your account/items because you share your account, it's your own damn fault.

While I see your point, account sharing does one other thing. If you have 2 or 3 people playing an account it gives that account a huge advantage over other accounts with only 1 owner, as far as the ability to train is concerned. There would be no way for me to compete with an account that has twice as much available time to train. As others have mentioned about the Firecapes, it can also let someone do something for an account that its original owner might not have been able to. Account sharing can give an unfair advantage.

Not unfair if everyone can do it.

Also it's unfair that a middle school child can play 8 hours a day, while I can only play a few because of studies. Do you see me complaining?

e: NO, I don't complain, because it doesn't matter if you're better than me. :thumbup:

Haha, good point about it not being unfair if everyone can do it. I was still thinking about it from the point of today's rules, but combining it with no longer being against the rules... yeah...

Also, I hope I didn't come across as complaining. I was just trying to put my idea into the debate. I know plenty of people who account share, and I have been asked plenty of times if I could do something for a friend in exchange for them doing something on my account (e.g. a quest traded for some skilling). I don't whine about these friends being unfair, although I have made fun of the occasional one for not getting his own firecape :P I would simply rather have my accomplishments be my accomplishments, and not someone else's, so I personally don't account share.

EDIT:

I forgot to say it the first time.

I liked the first article and thought it was a good topic.

I had actually heard of all of the bugs in the second article, but it was still interesting. The mechanics behind the Falador Massacre were explained differently in the article than what I had heard before this.

Tonguetamer3.png

Runescape: Winter 2002/2003 - May 2011

I don't think account sharing should be against the rules, nor should it be bannable. Jagex should just have a little "warning" in stronghold of security or whatnot that says "do it at your own risk, idiot". If you lose your account/items because you share your account, it's your own damn fault.

While I see your point, account sharing does one other thing. If you have 2 or 3 people playing an account it gives that account a huge advantage over other accounts with only 1 owner, as far as the ability to train is concerned. There would be no way for me to compete with an account that has twice as much available time to train. As others have mentioned about the Firecapes, it can also let someone do something for an account that its original owner might not have been able to. Account sharing can give an unfair advantage.

Also it's unfair that a middle school child can play 8 hours a day, while I can only play a few because of studies. Do you see me complaining?

e: NO, I don't complain, because it doesn't matter if you're better than me. :thumbup:

Haha, good point about it not being unfair if everyone can do it. I was still thinking about it from the point of today's rules, but combining it with no longer being against the rules... yeah...

Also, I hope I didn't come across as complaining. I was just trying to put my idea into the debate. I know plenty of people who account share, and I have been asked plenty of times if I could do something for a friend in exchange for them doing something on my account (e.g. a quest traded for some skilling). I don't whine about these friends being unfair, although I have made fun of the occasional one for not getting his own firecape :P I would simply rather have my accomplishments be my accomplishments, and not someone else's, so I personally don't account share.

EDIT:

I forgot to say it the first time.

I liked the first article and thought it was a good topic.

I had actually heard of all of the bugs in the second article, but it was still interesting. The mechanics behind the Falador Massacre were explained differently in the article than what I had heard before this.

yah i wonder what % of firecapes are legit seeming as alot of maxed players dont have it....your saying every 111 has the attention span to do jad? :S

though i got mine legit it was at 2476 overall lol

StarViv.png

Heh...

Me and Mirrorforced had been debating how long it would take for someone admitting they shared accoutns at some point...

well, jagex didn't ban skiller_703 for account-sharing with his brother and getting 99 dungeoneering first (although they awarded a free trip to runefest for the #2 to reach 99, not the number 1).

in that light, why would regular players admit to account sharing? it doesn't pay to admit.

I was stupid once. One of my friends convinced me to hand over my password so he'd help me beat the only quest I hadn't at the time(dragon slayer). Well, I was not only stupid enough to hand over my password and my pin, but to not do anything once I caught him stealing my items. (My brother was doing it, don't worry, I stopped him). How could I have been so blind, so stupid, so trusting? It cost me every one of my items, and every piece of my gold, but I learned. I realized every 'friend' is a con artist, every newb a beggar, every pro an ***hole, and anyone nice a figment of my imagination. I stopped talking to people, figuring they'd just rip me off in the long run. Stopped giving advice to newbs, they just wanted money. And while this made me a lot more cynical, its also kept it from happening again.

I was stupid once. One of my friends convinced me to hand over my password so he'd help me beat the only quest I hadn't at the time(dragon slayer). Well, I was not only stupid enough to hand over my password and my pin, but to not do anything once I caught him stealing my items. (My brother was doing it, don't worry, I stopped him). How could I have been so blind, so stupid, so trusting? It cost me every one of my items, and every piece of my gold, but I learned. I realized every 'friend' is a con artist, every newb a beggar, every pro an ***hole, and anyone nice a figment of my imagination. I stopped talking to people, figuring they'd just rip me off in the long run. Stopped giving advice to newbs, they just wanted money. And while this made me a lot more cynical, its also kept it from happening again.

I'm pretty cynical, and I'll be the first to tell you, you don't need to be quite so cynical, it's bad for your health. Just because you can't trust everyone on everything, doesn't mean you can't trust some people on some things. You got burned once, that doesn't mean you should burn all the people that aproch you from now on.

Anyway, liked the articles this week. Remember all the bugs from when they happened. Think account sharing (except in very limited instances of emergancies that don't envolve exp gain) is cheating. You should do you're own stuff, and compete with the rest of us on a one to one basis.

Not the same at all. It wouldn't be fair for a student to buy his grades in school, because he would rather play Runescape all day than study.

rssig2.png

TOS Referring to children under 13 years of age:

[hide=TOS]If you are under 13 you will be able to create an account but unable to disclose personal data through the game or website. If we find out that any personal data we have collected is from someone under 13, we will automatically delete it. We recommend that parents / guardians set up an account and play together with their children. Many parents have reported that playing Jagex Products as a family is fun and rewarding.

If you are under 13 and subscribe to the members' version of our game you are representing (i.e. making a promise) that you have consent from your parents / guardian to use Jagex Products in accordance with our terms and conditions and privacy policy. We may Stop any account if we are not satisfied that such consent has been given.[/hide]

Rule about who can use account:

[hide=Roole]No, this is not allowed. Sharing your account with anyone, including family members and/or friends, means that you are breaking a game rule and this can lead to your account being banned.[/hide]

So no, even a parent isn't allowed to USE a child's account, although the rules doesn't say anything about the parent KNOWING the password.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Heh...

Me and Mirrorforced had been debating how long it would take for someone admitting they shared accounts at some point...

Not very long if you have been friends for awhile. People on my friend list talking about it from time to time, and it seems family member or best friend tend share it the most. My take is exactly like your article said, my character is mine alone, if you share it or sell it, it won't be you anymore. The idea is the same for people who said they were hacked, and I knew that they either got keylogged by visiting inappropriate site, or give their info away, which is why I usually don't give sympathy much.

Overall, a very good article and sums up that particular rule for people to keep in mind.

On another hand, the same principle could be apply to item sharing (before item lending), one of my friend lend her full dragon armor to her "best" friend (known for 2 years) to snap some screenie with. After the trade, they depart, and the best friend was never heard again. The result was kind of sad because I can tell that she wasn't able to trust people anymore (at least on RS).

The bug abuse article was a good read, though I never really encounter it myself. Of course, I would see a lot people tempted for sure, its simply human nature and how strong you stand by yourbelief.

a happy Runescaper

Actually... by "how long" we meant how long into the dicussion thread...

Turns out it took only 7 replies, something I'd expected... Mirror was of the opinion that noone would dare admitting account sharing...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Actually... by "how long" we meant how long into the dicussion thread...

Turns out it took only 7 replies, something I'd expected... Mirror was of the opinion that noone would dare admitting account sharing...

Well I'll admit that someone in my clan asked me to do a firecape for him, lol.

I've never given my password or pin to anyone, nor have I ever asked for them either. That being said, if someone really needed my help I don't know whether I would help them or not.

As for the bugs article, I knew about fally massacre (no duh haha) and about the pvp drop glitch. Didn't know about the safe deaths, but really not all that surprised.

Eh, I can admit to account sharing. I'd do quests for people, they'd skill for me.

It's a bit like trading, in a twisted and rule-breaking kind of way.

So sue me.

pendulumsig.png

138 Combat as of Summer 2010 - Retired Summer 2010

I've never account shared on my current account. I just don't want to throw away all the work and achievements I've gained and I feel good knowing I did it all myself.

Low_C.png

To be perfectly honest I don't have any qualms about doing a quest for a friend or helping him out merching in exchange for him becoming my battlestaff slave. It's their choice. I'm 100% that no one but me is going to be logging onto my account as long as I'm interested in RS though.

*sigh*

Time to confess. My defence is that I started playing this game years ago - like the age for 13, 14. That's somewhere around when this happened.

Me and a good friend played this game (this friend is still a good friend of mine, although doesn't play the game as much) and we at one point knew each others password. (I've since changed mine to be too complex for him to remember.)

And I wholeheartedly agree with the article - one of my bigger regrets in Runescape is that this friend did the quest mountain daughter for me. Big regret. One day I want to eventually level an account up JUST to do that quest on my own.

These days, I'm against it on personal principle - I want all my achievements to be my own. And on the other...side, I guess, I don't want to be achieving something great on an account that isn't mine. However, my confession here, I've helped in small amounts certain RS friends. RS only friends. Helped one on a difficult quest piece, another with a tad of agility. Never got burned for it, and I didn't make enemies out of them. Still friends with one, the other one was a friendship that kinda...faded. I'd rather help someone and have them do nothing on my acc then have them DO something on it o.O

Also, a few people in my clan have also gotten help from people in the clan getting a firecape. I'm quite proud that I did it myself.

Hmmm. Account sharing kind of goes hand-in-hand with botting to me. I would personally never do either, not just because it's against the rules, but because I think it cheapens those achievements. I just wouldn't feel the same sense of accomplishment. Sometimes when I'm wandering around RS, I wonder how many of the skillcapes I see were earned legitimately...

No. Not true.

There is a HUGE difference between two friends sharing an account and/or knowing each otheres password/pin, and botting. You can know the password/pin of someone you know in real life, a good friend, and then you can go on a botting/RW trade site and give them your password in order to let them work on your account in exchange for money. And just because you trust a friend enough to know your password/pin doesn't mean you'd go botting.

That's very harsh. There ARE good people in the world you know. Not everyone is out to get you. Yes, many of these people exist, and many ARE trying to rip you off...but not all of them are. The thing to remember is the honest people probably wouldn't OFFER to do a quest for you. Unless they're like 138 and your like level 20 and you've somehow known each other for years >.>

But, yeah. There ARE nice people. I once got a dragon axe (now hatchet) from a friend. And seeing this was after they announced the removal of free trade, but before they got around to doing it, what possible ulterior motives could this person have? Never asked to go on my acc once, do something for me, etc.

I am sorry to hear that happened to you, and I don't blame you for never trusting someone with your acc again. But not talking to people is a tad extreme....honestly, if I quit talking to people on RS, I'd quit. Part of what keeps me attracted to RS is my e-friends >.>

Article two: The glitch article was pretty good. I knew about most except safe deaths - actually, I MAY have heard of safe deaths. And yeah,. the version of the falador massacre was that it worked for people kicked out of the combat ring. But to be honest, the scrying pool looks more likely, as your not "in" a house, explaining why it took longer to find and why Jagex didn't find it.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

that fally massacre video is still my favorite rs video of all time.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

I don't actually believe 70% of people give others access to their account. In fact, I'll make a point of refusing to believe that 'stunning fact' until a large-scale survey is conducted which actually proves that claim.

The fact is, people falsely associate in-game achievements with real life characteristics. First impressions count for a whole lot, in real life as well, but especially in RuneScape where information about the other person is even more limited to simply an avatar on a computer screen. Which is why when we see a level 138, or a person with a Fire cape, we instantly assume they have killed many thousands of slayer beasts, or defeated Jad respectively. This leads to a false presumption that whoever is in control of the account at that moment has fulfilled those tasks successfully; the philosophical reality is that the person controlling the account is simply that - a puppeteer controlling an avatar that could just as easily be controlled by anyone else, which bears the collective hallmark of all those who have played it before. Only the account has performed exceptionally well, there is nothing linking the account to the player, except the hope that the account owner has integrity.

Jagex only cares about account sharing for the same reason sports governing bodies care about the conduct of their members: They want to make the game as "pure" as possible. The non-idealistic reality is that unfortunately, not all players in a game are necessarily "pure", and it's very difficult for Jagex to prove account sharing isn't happening without sticking 1984-esque cameras into every player's room and restricting the account to one computer, which begs a difficult question.

Personally, I'm someone who has been falsely accused of twice attempting to account steal/share; the second time, Jagex accused me of commiting a real-world crime without offering any evidence to support the claim, and perma-banned my account - interestingly I still haven't heard from the police. I would never share my account with anyone, but why 'criminalise' innocent people, when apparently so many people who are genuinely sharing are getting away with it, and there's an moral argument to suggest it's their account to do what they like with anyway so long as they're paying hard cash for it?

I don't actually believe 70% of people give others access to their account. In fact, I'll make a point of refusing to believe that 'stunning fact' until a large-scale survey is conducted which actually proves that claim.

70% of all people? No, just those who have a friend that also is/became a runescape player, or vice versa... When you look at competative clans the density is considerably larger, but the 70% is the average of all the people fitting in the category mentioned...

Whether you choose to belive it or not is of no concern to anyone but yourself, but I have no reason to lie in an article... With several people already admitting (publicly, rather than privately to me) on this thread that they once had access to an account that was not their own, only confirms it all.

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

70% of all people? No, just those who have a friend that also is/became a runescape player, or vice versa... When you look at competative clans the density is considerably larger, but the 70% is the average of all the people fitting in the category mentioned...

Whether you choose to belive it or not is of no concern to anyone but yourself, but I have no reason to lie in an article... With several people already admitting (publicly, rather than privately to me) on this thread that they once had access to an account that was not their own, only confirms it all.

I'd be curious as to where you got your data, without a real data pool, your numbers are highly subject to being messed up. I, personally, wouldn't believe the 70% number without some proof, and I mean real proof, and not just some assumption based off personal conclusion.

And, actually, this line is rather asinine.

"Whether you choose to belive it or not is of no concern to anyone but yourself, but I have no reason to lie in an article"

You assume we should just believe you, without any hard data. I'm not discounting the fact that you could be right, rather that I fail to see a reliable, even slightly scientific method that you used to determine this.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

one of my friends used to let his bro on his account his bro had his own account but they skill on thier own account but the brother only went to pk and have fun dont see a problem with that kinda accountsharing....

only account sharing i really think is nub is....

a family that shares accounts to be upranked in highscores

like if an account could be logged in 24 hrs a day skilling by a family member thats bad and ruins the achievements for others really...

StarViv.png

Whether you choose to belive it or not is of no concern to anyone but yourself, but I have no reason to lie in an article...

Well firstly, your issue as an editor is what I believe about your article so it really is your concern as well.

Secondly, I never doubted your honesty. I'm sure 70% of the people you asked said others had access to their account. All I'm saying is that I don't believe 70% of the general RS population participate in account sharing, and until a scientifcally accountable survey tells me otherwise, I'll continue to believe that.

It's about data interpretation; you've not released any data or information on how you gathered it, therefore I refuse to believe any interpretations you've drawn from it. If you thoroughly surveyed about a thousand people, that's very different to PMing ten people from the Tip.It community.

Nice article Stormage, your articles are often a bit off, but this one seemed to fit well. Although your allegory wasn't needed as far as I am concerned; I thought you were still referring to account sharing. Anyhow, I never account shared myself. I never understood it. My friends had their accounts, I had my account. It was that simple! We played together. With rs accounts, sharing is not caring.

I love the glitch articles, keep them coming. I like to know everything about my video games. You would be shocked what I know about Bungie's Halo games.

XBL: Zwolf wolf

When Runescape Gives you lemons, Alch them!

screen-capture-2-1-1-1.png?t=1279351491

Sorry Brand, I was a man in the first place, sorry to disappoint you. :\