Tip.It Times - 15th August 2010

Racheya

I think I stated in my article how I got my data... But if you must know, I asked a total of 239 random people (just going up to them in RS and asking them), 188 of which are in a clan of some sort. This was done on random world numbers, so I wouldnt know if I got on a F2P or a P2P world, but if I was on a themed world, I'd visited whatever was done on that world the most and ask people there, all over a protracted period of time of several weeks.

The 51 people that were not in a clan, 22 still had friends that also played RS, or RS players that turned into friends, and out of those 22, 5 admitted to sharing.

The 188 that were in a clan, 172 have similar friends, and of those 172, 130 admitted to sharing.

The two questions asked were fi they had any friends in rs, and the 2nd was if they had ever shared password etc data with that friend.

I did not save any names, I just tallied it on a whiteboard that i have hanging on the wall...

But, if this is not good enough for you (which for some people it will without a doubt not be), go make a random inconspicuous account name and go out in the world and ASK YOURSELF...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I stated in my article how I got my data... But if you must know, I asked a total of 239 random people (just going up to them in RS and asking them), 188 of which are in a clan of some sort. This was done on random world numbers, so I wouldnt know if I got on a F2P or a P2P world, but if I was on a themed world, I'd visited whatever was done on that world the most and ask people there, all over a protracted period of time of several weeks.

The 51 people that were not in a clan, 22 still had friends that also played RS, or RS players that turned into friends, and out of those 22, 5 admitted to sharing.

The 188 that were in a clan, 172 have similar friends, and of those 172, 130 admitted to sharing.

The two questions asked were fi they had any friends in rs, and the 2nd was if they had ever shared password etc data with that friend.

I did not save any names, I just tallied it on a whiteboard that i have hanging on the wall...

But, if this is not good enough for you (which for some people it will without a doubt not be), go make a random inconspicuous account name and go out in the world and ASK YOURSELF...

^this=ownage

Seriously guys, every time Stormage writes an article you tear him to shreds.

As the old folks would say, You got your come-up-ance!

XBL: Zwolf wolf

When Runescape Gives you lemons, Alch them!

screen-capture-2-1-1-1.png?t=1279351491

Sorry Brand, I was a man in the first place, sorry to disappoint you. :\

^this=ownage

I don't really doubt the validity of his claim because I seen that happening with the friends I had on my friend list too. A portion of them at some point in time weren't on but someone else is on instead.

Many people said that sharing between best friend or family member is alright is sort of gray area. But if you really want to clear it up, I rather be black and white and exclude any type of sharing, otherwise people will use their own reasoning and excuses for proper justification.

a happy Runescaper

Awesome article, Ts_Stormrage. Account sharing is very common in Runescape, and I think that is a problem. People put their accounts at risks. As well as their friendships. It is really a horrible thing, at least I think so.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

[hide]

^this=ownage

I don't really doubt the validity of his claim because I seen that happening with the friends I had on my friend list too. A portion of them at some point in time weren't on but someone else is on instead.

Many people said that sharing between best friend or family member is alright is sort of gray area. But if you really want to clear it up, I rather be black and white and exclude any type of sharing, otherwise people will use their own reasoning and excuses for proper justification.

[/hide]

You failed to mention if this was "a scientifcally accountable survey" or not...

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Ns slaves over his articles.

To be honest I did account share waaaaay back in the early days of RSC. I only played RSC for 10 days when I was 8 years old, and I had a friend who convinced me that account sharing was a good thing "because everyone did it." We only shared accounts for around 5 days, then I got bored of runescape and quit. I don't even remember that account name.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

I am honestly surprised at such a high percentage of account sharers as well, and more surprised at how readily people admit it. It makes me even more skeptical of players talking about their accounts "somehow" being hacked. It was an eye-opening article for sure.

rssig2.png

I am honestly surprised at such a high percentage of account sharers as well, and more surprised at how readily people admit it. It makes me even more skeptical of players talking about their accounts "somehow" being hacked. It was an eye-opening article for sure.

Hacking in the true sense of the word is too much effort for just 1 rs account, so that will never happen...

Hacking as claimed by many people is, well you read the article...

I believe the reason that people admit it so readily (without admitting to anything else) is that they know they dont get caught anyways... Eye opening? yeah... Surprisingly unexpected? nah...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!