How would you like Runescape to end?

Danqazmlp

While driving to work today, somehow the end of Runescape got into my head. A few ideas ran through my head on how Runescape could end and the shockwaves those ways could leave in the MMO community. Fist, I will explain my main idea of how I thought the game could end in a great way.

In a few years time when Jagex see the games market stagnating and can foresee a decline, they decide that instead of a slow decline in the game, to go out with a bang. They decide to let super-powered boss monsters go on a rampage through the game and let the players wage a giant war to stop them. Accounts would be given a few lives, but after them, their account would be permanently dead. After the end of the war, whether the players or bosses win, the servers are turned off.

It is a very bare-bones ending, but it started my mind rolling with possibilities and ideas such as:

- A second runescape some years after in the same game world, but in the aftermath, the major cities destroyed, very few surviving humans, bare basic civilization. New accounts could be linked with their predecessors to set up ancestry for them. (Ancestor died/survived great war)

- J-Mods controlling the bosses to give them extra challenge

- Tie the war into the Runescape lore, bosses related to Lucien after becoming a full god and going to full scale war, the servers turning off being a cliffhanger with Guthix appearing (supporting the sequel idea)

- Let those that survive continue in the game until they next die?

Ok, all of those mini-ideas would be pretty major, but then it got me thinking about how radical the idea would be seen through gaming media, giving (hopefully) Jagex some very good publicity not wanting to let their game go slowly into the abyss.

After that, I thought about how would other players want the game to end? Would the majority collectively want the game to very slowly decline, servers slowly going off-line until eventually they all go after many years? Would Jagex had the servers over to players to pay for them in their own way?

Big bang or slow decline?

Or do you have other ideas as to how the game will end?

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

While that would certainly be a fun and epic end, I would definitely prefer that they kept the servers running and just stopped updating. Preferably I'd like to see Runescape end only after all of the skills are jam-packed with stuff to do right up to 99, all of the quest story-lines are resolved, and a plethora of incredibly powerful and unique bosses are introduced with both tradeable and untradeable drops (armors, weapons, and items) requiring up to 99 in various skills to use.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

The way I see it, it might start off with less and less updates, laying off staff, members maybe being cheaper.... but going off with a bang like you said there? As long as there's people interested in playing (and more importantly, paying) for runescape, it will keep running. If they shut it down, that means there would be so little interest in Runescape that they've long since stopped developing it, just simply maintaining servers and some basic customer support - at which point, ANY update wouldn't really happen. By this point, there wouldn't be enough interest in it anyways.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Some evil guy gets a hand of some evil stone, everyone gets transported into world 1, the whole world turns into a wilderness where you can attack whoever you want, and then the last man standing wins.

You have won runescape!

We don't need another Falador Massacre. :P

I kind of like the whole ancestry idea though, Dan. I think that'd be awesome as a type of sequel.

I doubt we will ever see a "big bang" ending, more a gradual decline into nothing-ness like what happen with rsc. Perhaps runescape 3 will come out and runescape 2 will become outdated and only playable by a few players.. Who knows?

I would like to see this war though.

C1Geq.png

They'll start to offer services like backtraining (removing levels) and higher exp rates and free items for real money fees, then close it down eventually as people leave for cheaper games.

2496 Completionist

All quest lines come to a close in one big quest, Old 'Finished' quest lines brought into it aswell, a Mass war between the fremminks, Monkeys, Falador White knights etc... You must pick a side to battle along side with.

Once the quest is complete that's it, No more quests, no more updates, and a slow decline in servers...

dzuz3d.jpg

All quest lines come to a close in one big quest, Old 'Finished' quest lines brought into it aswell, a Mass war between the fremminks, Monkeys, Falador White knights etc... You must pick a side to battle along side with.

Once the quest is complete that's it, No more quests, no more updates, and a slow decline in servers...

That's also a good idea. :thumbup:

well after theyve filled all skills with content til 99 over the next few years id like a 120 lvl cap, then theyll fill taht with content for a few more years

quest wise id like to see rs have abut 500 quests eventualy, this will take a decade maybe but who knows how it will end 15 gmqs from now

id like to have some epic fight as a lvl 150+ against bilrach and lucien over the battle for the stone of jas and after several "to be continued" grandmaster quetss of my trying, finaly in the last grand grandmaster quest finish the battle and beat the majhaart storyline in some 30 hour quest as i battle my way thru the dragonkin castle beating puzzles and bosses along the way

also i wont be able to take it till i find out what nomads up to, id like at least 3 more nomad quests where he gains about 100 lvls every new quest in the series

a_final_name.png

I think that they'll finish everything-quests, all skills to 120, eastern lands, acheron, cursed archepilago, other planes (zanaris expansion to the size of gielenor, same for freneskae, yubiusk, and puro-puro). Then, just when everyone thinks that they'll be able to beat their addiction because of no possible new content.... what, you thought I would put some good ending? nah, the players just realize that they still have years of stuff they could do. And jagex gives them graphics updates every now and then to keep them paying for a dying game. until the end. When jagex makes another rs, set in the 3rd age. or maybe the 832nd age....

It won't ever finish they will have a giant update taking us all into another time period with a host of new weapons, armours, beasts and a whole load of new for everyone to explore for another10 years :)

Everyone's stats and banks will be wipped clean with a nice fresh start :)

leebrave.png

Gorak Chronicles Ended, thinking of something new for next week

my thought is raise the skill caps to 120 with no consideration as to the consequences and be like GOGOGO

complete wildy would be fun as well lol. would cause lots of inflation if the game is going to close down though haha

realistically though they will probably release a big final quest and stop updating

I think once they round out every questline, they should let the game go on for a few months and then make the Eastern Lands in Runescape 3. I'd like to start a new game from the beginning.

I think that they'll finish everything-quests, all skills to 120, eastern lands, acheron, cursed archepilago, other planes (zanaris expansion to the size of gielenor, same for freneskae, yubiusk, and puro-puro). Then, just when everyone thinks that they'll be able to beat their addiction because of no possible new content.... what, you thought I would put some good ending? nah, the players just realize that they still have years of stuff they could do. And jagex gives them graphics updates every now and then to keep them paying for a dying game. until the end. When jagex makes another rs, set in the 3rd age. or maybe the 832nd age....

You know, it'd be pretty cool to have a sort of alternate RS3 that takes place during the God Wars (third age). Everyone starts out with a clean account, but (stealing Danz' idea here) your account can be linked to your RS2 account as an ancestor or something.

It'd be like Runescape with a clean slate, so they could balance everything better. They could also make it shorter, like you could choose to fight in the war (and choose a god to fight for) or you could be a smith, a craftsmen, etc. There'd be classes, essentially, but with a broad range of things to do within each class (choosing to fight in the war would give you access to all combat stats, where choosing to be a skiller would grant you access to all non-combat stats). The entire game would be like one big RFD style quest that ends with Guthix awakening to stop the war.

Sorry for the crazy tangent. :lol: One can dream.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I think that there eventually would be a huge quest that requires completely maxed skills, and required you to defeat Lucien and reobtain the Stone of Jas.

When you finish it the Stone's power allows you to spawn items, change your skills, spawn bosses to fight that you can adjust the settings for (but won't attack other people unless they agree), etc. Basically everyone becomes a mod.

And ofc, after that it'd be impossible to put in anything else. Except random graphical updates and a level 1337 boss with 2,147,483,647 lp, and in the middle of varrock square. It would look look like MMG lol. And it can summon the corp and jad as attacks. And it's drop is a cease-and-desist order from Guthix to gtfo rs. lol.

[hide=A funny conversation]Me:Have u wondered how my brassard, which leaves my chest bare, give about the same def as ur pile of rocks?

Friend:Hahaha

Friend:Maybe you are just good at blocking with your shoulder?

Me:Ahahahahaha[/hide]Rare drops: 4 D legs, 1 D skirt

Barrows items: 2 Verac's helms, 1 Dhorak's Greataxe, 1 Dhorak's platelegs, 2 Karil's leathertops, 1 Karil's crossbow, 1 Guthan's chainskirt

Quest cape achieved 28 Dec, 2009, lost with Nomad's Requiem, re-obtained on 19 Mar 2010.

Fire cape achieved 1 Nov 2010.

well after theyve filled all skills with content til 99 over the next few years id like a 120 lvl cap, then theyll fill taht with content for a few more years

quest wise id like to see rs have abut 500 quests eventualy, this will take a decade maybe but who knows how it will end 15 gmqs from now

id like to have some epic fight as a lvl 150+ against bilrach and lucien over the battle for the stone of jas and after several "to be continued" grandmaster quetss of my trying, finaly in the last grand grandmaster quest finish the battle and beat the majhaart storyline in some 30 hour quest as i battle my way thru the dragonkin castle beating puzzles and bosses along the way

also i wont be able to take it till i find out what nomads up to, id like at least 3 more nomad quests where he gains about 100 lvls every new quest in the series

Oh God! Please NO!

Simo498.png

I would like to see all the skill caps raised to 120 before runescape dies. If not then I just hope they fill out the content completely and leave the servers up like rsc.

Low_C.png