League of Legends

anScooter

I just don't want to "grind" to get onto the competitive scene.

I'm not going to sit here and say I'm a competitive player in HoN (haven't played that long after all) but you still get the idea of what I'm getting at.

I understand even though I never had that kind of mind set. I mean I think if you are playing against the player of your level, then the levels and runes etc should not matter correct?

If it's the same skill level I don't want someone to win because they have a better rune or could unlock/buy the OP FoTM hero. You might think something like 5% isn't a big deal but in a competitive enviroment it is. In HoN heroes have shifted in and out of the metagame due to small buffs and nerfs.

Pretty much I just don't want to grind that [cabbage] up and then grind more because I wanna play a different style character. It's dumb.

Yeah indeed, there was a character that everyone considered Tier 3/4 and then one different character got nerfed a little, meaning that other carries took place and this Tier 3/4 champion suddenly shot up to Tier 1. (Ezrael was nerfed, and Kassadin jumped up).

I would say I like to be competetive in LoL, but I've slowly become better than all the people I usually play with apart from the top people who are all top 50 or 100. But when they get online they have a set team which they play with and use this team at tournaments etc so I never really get to play with them.

And believe me, the tiniest nerf or buff can mean the world at the top game. With every patch people need to change metagames, and sometimes, the entirety of the metagame rests on one new champion or very slight changes to characters.

Personally, if I had gone into HoN first rather than LoL, I probably would be playing that rather than LoL, it's just that I've become accustomed to everything on LoL and am pretty good at it too, which is all the better considering it is free as well.

Also, I respect the fact that denying and such in lanes adds a different dimension too it, but does not necessarily make it easier or harder, just changes the way the lane is played. I think the overall playstyle and general metagame is similar, just because of the games they are, but everyone has there opinion of course. I would probably say that the best HoN players would beat the best LoL players given enough time to play LoL, or if the LoL players were given enough time with HoN, but still, it would be a good game. And yes, most HoN players will destroy LoL players to start because the high ELO people do not actually play that often, but rather will play against other top ELO in practice games because the queue time for top ELO is 20+ minutes.

Laning phase on LoL differs from US to EU, but EU tops US in the high ELO (Apart from that Nunu/Vlad combo which was totally [developmentally delayed]ed and the EU should have won, but the US played it well), so I will take it from an EU point of view. We will usually run 2 1 2 but ideally, a 2 1 1 with a jungle is better, so it will always be the preferred option, especially if our team can bag a decent mage/melee tank (Like Amumu or Galio) with a melee/semitank jungle (Olaf/Warwick/Udyr) then it's game on.

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Click my signature for my blog!

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing I'm going to say is I don't think many top DoTA teams transfered over to LoL. We have some that moved onto HoN (and have a lot of big name sponsorships such as eG, SK, MSI, KD) but yeah.

It's probably still fair to say that some of the old school Asian DoTA teams would stomp any LoL or HoN players.

And yes, most HoN players will destroy LoL players to start because the high ELO people do not actually play that often, but rather will play against other top ELO in practice games because the queue time for top ELO is 20+ minutes.

No such thing as in houses? Thats where a lot of the top level play comes from that aren't scrims or tournament matches in HoN. Than again do you have any way to actually make a custom game or is it all matchmaking based?

It really is too bad you didn't play HoN though. Thoughts on games aside there is just a lot more going on tournament wise compared to LoL. LoL has their one big tournament but HoN has a ton of them going on plus a recent CEVO season. Plus the EU scene in HoN is just getting massive, new teams coming into the scene every day it seems like that give the current top teams (eG, MSI, KD) a run for their money. I'd love to get into the US scene personally but just don't have enough people on my team to do so. (Team giving the business [bZi] :D). Plus most of us have no DoTA experience so we're kind of beat out by the guys with like 8 years experience.

It's probably still fair to say that some of the old school Asian DoTA teams would stomp any LoL or HoN players.

And yes, most HoN players will destroy LoL players to start because the high ELO people do not actually play that often, but rather will play against other top ELO in practice games because the queue time for top ELO is 20+ minutes.

No such thing as in houses? Thats where a lot of the top level play comes from that aren't scrims or tournament matches in HoN. Than again do you have any way to actually make a custom game or is it all matchmaking based?

Yeah this is what I mean, all the top players do in house games so they don't get matchmaked against awful people. But for most people matchmaking is the main way of playing.

League of Legends also has an SK Gaming team and Counter Logic Gaming team but there aren't really many tournaments at all.

I would play HoN but I don't want to dish out money to play it yet since I can't really remember it all that well.

calciumpixelsigil3.png

So many deaths... :shock:

I recently took up LoL (like a few weeks ago maybe?) and it's the first game of this type I've ever played before, but it's a really fun game. I've pretty much quit RS becuase of this now. I mostly play Ashe, as she was the first champ I played becuase she was my free week champion that was recommended to me, and I'd like to think I've got pretty good at playing her. Actually just got a solo ace last game, much better than when I started and went 1/15/3 :grin:

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

So many deaths... :shock:

I recently took up LoL (like a few weeks ago maybe?) and it's the first game of this type I've ever played before, but it's a really fun game. I've pretty much quit RS becuase of this now. I mostly play Ashe, as she was the first champ I played becuase she was my free week champion that was recommended to me, and I'd like to think I've got pretty good at playing her. Actually just got a solo ace last game, much better than when I started and went 1/15/3 :grin:

Squishies are my favorite type. They don't take as many hits as most and when they try to run the poison scores my kills.

leagueoflegendslonggame.png

Longest game I have ever personally played, 6 baron kills that game. Funnily enough though, the 5 of us (I'm LOLCANADA btw) did a random match make before this game, and lost in ~40 mins to the three level 30s, the 23 and a random, and the game after that, we played them again. They had been trolling us pretty hard, and we trolled back, so we knew we'd need to win this game. We pretty much were guaranteed to win at like 40 minutes or so, and that's when they started to shut up, but it would take another hour to actually win. >.<

R.I.P Shiva and The Old Nite

Visit My Huge Goals!!! <---- Click This

My Pk Gallery

supdefnubew6.png

GWD: 3x Saradomin Sword, 2x Saradomin Hilt, 2X B Boots, 1x Tasset, 2X B Plate, 2X Shard, 1X D Med

TDs: 3x Solo Claws, 1x Solo Armour Piece

99 Untrimmed HP, 0% Pc'd and before Soul Wars -- Trimmed July 1, 2009

First Untrimmed HP Cape to 96 summon, top 300 to 96 summon

Proud owner of the strength, magic, range, and hitpoints capes.

Spa_Ins/LOLCANADA on IRC.

• 3 weeks later...

Me and my roomate got bored this weekend and downloaded LoL. These are my thoughts from 2 days of playing:

I started off choosing "expert" for my skill level. I was hoping this meant I wouldn't have to deal with absolute [developmentally delayed]ation but, of course, I did. A lot of these games currently seem to be decided by who has the most smurf accounts and who has the least leavers/afk. Coming from HoN where I almost never had to deal with people leaving its a bit awkward to say the least.

I've been going mid for the most part or laning with my roomate. Mid I generally just stomp their smurf player. I still am annoyed because even though i'm a good last hitter that doesn't really... matter. I still manage to out CS my opponent (what is a good CS rate @10m anyways?) but it sucks that I can't really deny them to get them under leveled and in some matchups harass just isn't an option. (I'm used to mid in hon where I'll out harass my opponent a ton, LoL it feels like we both sort of sit back and creep).

Team fights I will say do end pretty quickly, despite what I thought before. Currently it gets to a point where there is just a ton of aoe going off and since I don't know what half of these heroes do it just ends fast.

Character wise I've played mostly Fiddlesticks, Ryze, Tristana and working on Twisted Fate now. Ryze I've had some good luck with (21/1 one game). Tristana and Twisted Fate my issue is just dealing with the large amount of tanky characters there always seems to be on the enemy team. I can get really good farm but they just eat up all my damage. If there anything that is like a BKB for this game? I feel like there aren't that many damage + survivability items or I haven't looked hard enough.

You mentioned earlier that TS uses AP but from what I read in guides it pretty much said go attack damage and such because AP was nerfed for him. Trying to figure out what items to use on him to carry hard.

Back onto my thoughts though I think that, ultimatly, LoL just feels like a "chill" version of DoTA. There is no rage, everyone can pretty much use items effectively and "carry" a game. (in the loose sense of the word). I'm sure it changes but there is a lot more leeway in lanes which is decent. I don't think it's a competitively viable game still by any means and from a spectator point of view I still think HoN is more interesting to watch. I also do feel like HoN is more polished and the animation is better than LoL still.

But ultimately? It's kind of fun.

---

Currently level 10. When do people stop being such downies and when do I stop having a leaver+ a game. Also what are some good carry style heroes to take over a game with.

edit: towers still piss me off to no end compared to dota/hon.

e2:

n2Tzz.png

(trollamo is my roomate)

Nadril, people who smurf are people who are level 30 but CANNOT win there and thus play smurfs to feel good, believe me. I trust you are using a US version of the game, if you want I can play on my US client with you.

I do have to say, I tried HoN, even from the outset it was extremely competetive, rather than the slow progress from chill, casual on LoL, upto the ranked games at 1500+ ELO which are intense. What you are playing RIGHT NOW, in LoL, will not be like how you play at level 30, I garuantee.

And yes, animation in LoL is bad, so are the graphics, well, I say bad, I mean not great. But the engine is being upgraded and graphics are being updated long with the new map to come out.

From your sheet it seems as if you have a good eye for items, that's a pretty decent build you have going on there, and would be similar to what I would build for Ryze.

Add Yttrium ingame and I can teach you and stuff even with 250+ ping! (I'd love to play tonight before I go play Black Ops) Also I presume you have skype, add Ca2theone and we can chat while we play or something.

calciumpixelsigil3.png

I'm sure it's probably not the same. It's just a different feeling right now. In HoN from the get-go pretty much you're put into a fairly competitive environment. It'd be nice if I could get level 30 quicker so I could see what these "intense" matches are like higher up. Part of the reason why LoL feels so chill to me though is it's just a lot slower paced than HoN. HoN is actually really fast where as in LoL even with fully upgraded boots I feel really slow.

Also one thing that's weirding me out still is most of these ranged heroes have a piss poor range. Used to HoN where a ranged hero can stand fairly far back, it seems like in lol some of them have to almost be melee range. (which is there anyway you can tell the range of a champion just by looking?)

I don't have skype. Use mumble currently.

To me, some range heroes have a large range. I'm kind of used to it myself... And yeah, champions run, really slow...

What's the mumble details, if you are up for a game tonight.

calciumpixelsigil3.png

USEAST.MidnightGaming.Net

It's like a 200 person server. Not mine but some guy on the HoN forums was offering slots to people since he hardly uses it. (barely anyone ever on). I'm Cyrant on there.

And yeah, the range on heroes compared to HoN feels really weird to me.

Serious question, why is Heimer underpowered? (or considered so). 2 games in a row I've had a ridiculous CK by soloing (one game 1v2 the other mid) that has allowed me to get full items in 30-35 minutes. I then run around with my rockets + grenade doing like 600-700+ damage and turrets just pumping out damage.

He's the easiest guy to farm with ever and it seems like his nukes do a lot of damage.

ps: Like 80-85% win rate right now it seems like, and this is solo atm too (roomate gone for weekend). When do people get decent so it's a challenge?

e: Oh and people keep adding me after matches. Eff that.

6 wins 1 loss so far with ww. Won 6 in a row. Jungling is real easy, he is also crazy easy to gank with.

Usually getting a 16-18 min bloodrzor and full boots, doing dragon at 5 or so too. Low level matches means I can easily steal their jungle for 100% uptime on buffs.

Oh and some guy knew my name in a game due to my hon forum trolling haha.

Yeah, warwick is really fun, at higher levels you HAVE to 100% take smite, even with full masteries and runes because of people stealing buffs.

Also, Wriggle's Lantern is aweome.

calciumpixelsigil3.png

Yawn, people keep assuming I have like multiple level 30's or something. Also apparently because I'm playing kass I must.

This whole "grind" until 30 is really annoying. I would like to get into actual ranked play but I can't because of this stupid grind.

The grind is ridiculous, but it's a nice long introduction to the game.

Also Kassadin is OP.

It just sucks when I don't really need an introduction. It takes me a match or two to learn a new hero. (not to master it, but to know what you do and not be useless). It takes me a match or two to learn what someone does if I haven't seen them before. There is no need for me to play so many matches just so I can start ranking up lol.

But yeah I carried a [cabbage] team hard with Kass, 22/11/22 with 750AP.

edit:

27/8/5 Kass and I lose because we had a leaver at the very start. Man. Can only carry so hard :P.

Also I have a new found joy for charging up the charges on his ult and then blinking on someone. Doing like 1500 damage is just funny. (had like 10 charges and jumped on a guy XD)

Yup, I haven't had a match with Kassadin where I haven't maxed out my Mejai stacks. How do you level your skills? I take 1 in Q for last hitting, then max out the cone spell and ult.

calciumpixelsigil3.png