Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Danqazmlp

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1442449/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spartacus:_Blood_and_Sand

http://www.starz.com/originals/spartacus

This is one of the more obscure programs on television at the moment. In the UK it is only found on "Bravo", in the US I have no idea what channel it is aired on.

The program is semi-historical, in that it is based on real events which occured around 70BC, real people. It does however glorify a few events and social constructs, but the main plot is fairly true to form.

It is VERY violent and contains at least one sex scene per two episodes. Because of the grapic nature, I expect its reviews went down by a fair amount. It is however a very entertaining program. The fight scenes as you would expect are very good and very graphic. They are very 300'esque.

To start with, the series started to stagnate around the middle while the storyline came together, but by the end I left the final three episodes wishing they hadn't finished and hoping the next week would come around faster.

The first series has ended with a great cliffhanger, If you haven't seen the first series, here is Wiki's explination of it:

The story begins with an unnamed Thracians involvement in a Thracian unit of Roman auxiliary in a campaign against the Getae (Dacian tribes that occupied the regions south of the Lower Danube, in what is today northern Bulgaria, and north of the Lower Danube, in Romania) under the command of the legatus, Claudius Glaber. In 72-71 BC, Roman general Marcus Terentius Varro Lucullus, proconsul of the Roman province of Macedonia, marched against the Getae, who were allies of Rome's enemy, Mithridates VI of Pontus. The Getae frequently raid the Thracians' lands, so the Thracians are persuaded by Glaber to enlist in the Romans' service as auxiliaries. Glaber is persuaded by his wife Ilithyia to seek greater glory, decides to break off attacking the Getae and directly confront the forces of Mithridates in Asia Minor. The Thracian, feeling betrayed, leads a mutiny against Glaber, and returns to find his village destroyed. The Thracian and his wife Sura, are captured by Glaber the next day; the Thracian is condemned to die in the gladiator arena for his crime, while Sura is taken away, condemned to slavery. The Thracian is shipped to Capua in Italy, a center of gladiator training. In the arena he kills the four gladiators appointed to kill him, and becomes popular with the crowd. Senator Albinius commutes the punishment from death to slavery. The prisoner's true name is unknown, Lentulus Batiatus, the owner of a ludus in Capua, suggests to name him "Spartacus", because he fought like the ferocious Thracian king of that name.

Seeing the Thracian's skill and popularity with the crowd, Batiatus purchases him for training. Spartacus joins Batiatus ludus under the tutelage of Doctore, a former gladiator and fellow slave.

He is befriended by Varro, a Roman who sold himself into slavery in order to pay his debts and support his family. He is harassed by more senior gladiators, notably Crixus, an undefeated Gaul, and Barca, a Carthaginian. Spartacus soon learns that Sura was sold to a Syrian slave trader. Batiatus, who has been unable to control Spartacus during his first days of training, and persuades Spartacus to fight for his and Sura's freedom.

Spartacus becomes very successful and is named the "Champion of Capua".

Batiatus arranges the purchase of Sura, but she is delivered mortally wounded, supposedly having been waylaid by bandits en route. Her murder was secretly ordered by Batiatus to keep Spartacus loyal and focused. Spartacus casts off his history as a Thracian, and forgets his dream of freedom, becoming content with life as champion. The turning point comes when Spartacus is set to fight his only friend in the ludus, Varro, in an exhibition match celebrating the coming to manhood of the Capuan magistrate's son, Numerius. Ilithyia, who has hated Spartacus since he embarrassed her husband Glaber by his mutiny, seduces the young man and convinces him to demand death for the loser of the match. Spartacus wins (as expected), and when the young man gives the "thumbs down", Batiatus, wishing to ingratiate himself with the boy's powerful father, forces Spartacus to comply and kill Varro. While suffering from both his wound in this match and his remorse and sorrow over having to kill his friend, Spartacus has fever dreams that lead him to discover that Batiatus arranged Sura's death. Knowing that it is all or nothing when it comes to resistance of his enslavement, he resolves to "kill them all" and lead a revolt against the ruling house he once fought for.

In order to get his revenge, Spartacus enlists the help of Crixus and the rest of the gladiators to defeat the house of Batiatus once and for all. A battle to the death between Crixus and Spartacus is arranged for the Capua elite at the ludus. Doctore (who Batiatus refers to by his real name, Oenomaus) confronts Batiatus about Barca's death and Ashur's hand in it. Spartacus gains support from Mira who is tasked with opening the gate to the villa from the training area. Crixus resists aiding Spartacus in hopes of reuniting with Naevia. However, after learning he was weakened to ensure Spartacus' victory, at the last moment he joins with Spartacus. Doctore initially stops Spartacus from killing Batiatus. In the ensuing chaos of the gladiators killing the guards and some guests, Crixus persuades Doctore to join him with Spartacus, Illithyia escapes and has her guards seal the outside door to the ludus, Doctore, making good on his word, tries to kill Ashur but ends up being eluded, Crixus grievously wounds Batiatus' wife, Lucretia, with a sword stab to her abdomen piercing her womb and killing their unborn child, Aurelia kills Numerius after revealing to him that Varro was her husband, and Spartacus finally kills Batiatus in front of the seriously wounded Lucretia. After the massacre, Spartacus vows to free Rome of its slavery.

I wondered if anybody else had seen the series? I'm looking forward to the second series after the Prequel series has finished.

P.s Can we put any spilers in hide tags, being a rather unknown program, it is aired at different times in different countries.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I recall seeing a trailer for this series several months back. I was intrigued and kind of wanted to watch it but never got around to it. I may have to give it a try.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I saw most of the first episode of it last night, was pretty awesome, looking forward to the next one

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

some amazing fighting and sex scenes for a show.

I'm going for the casts autographs

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Be warned: the first three or four episodes are absolutely awful. I could barely make it through, they're that bad. But after that, it really does pick up. The last three episodes or so are pretty awesome.

Plus you get to see [bleep]ing Xena nude. For the 10-year old in me, that was a magical moment.

2009rb9.jpg

Be warned: the first three or four episodes are absolutely awful. I could barely make it through, they're that bad. But after that, it really does pick up. The last three episodes or so are pretty awesome.

Plus you get to see [bleep]ing Xena nude. For the 10-year old in me, that was a magical moment.

Viva Bianca, Erin Cummings and every other woman in that show look outstanding as well. But for her age, Lucy looks amazing

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

I think i saw the episode Numerius became a man

OOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo boobies are niceeeeeeeeeeeeeee

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Unknown program? Are you [bleep]ing kidding me?

It is not on a major network (At least here in the UK) so it is fairly unknown here.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Unknown program? Are you [bleep]ing kidding me?

It is not on a major network (At least here in the UK) so it is fairly unknown here.

I believe it's on the Stars channel here. That or HBO. But here there was a whole month in which the advertisements were just everywhere on those channels.

Wongton is better than me in anyway~~

94qbe.jpg

I started watching it a few days ago. I'm only up to episode 4 but I love it so far :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

It is a shame the second series will be a long time in the making. for those who don't know, Andy Whitfield who plays Spartacus was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphomas Which meant that he wouldn't be able to act while going through therapy. Because of this a bit of a re-shuffle happened in which they are now doing a short prequel series based around Batiatus becoming head of his family and inheriting the Ludas. Now that Whitfield is now all clear, they will be filming the second series at some point. (According to wiki they have now started filming it)

zqXeV.jpg

I just finished all the episodes and I loved it :P The last few episodes were especially epic. I'm longing for more!!

Posted Image

How did you like the finale?

I was talking to a friend and we both commented on just how much of a bloodbath and a slaughter it was.

zqXeV.jpg

How did you like the finale?

I was talking to a friend and we both commented on just how much of a bloodbath and a slaughter it was.

It was epic and incredibly satisfying :P I don't think I could have asked for a better ending...

[hide=Spoiler]Except if the wife had never been killed and she lived happily ever after with Spartacus.. :lol:[/hide]

Posted Image

I might have to watch it. My friend was telling me if I was gonna pay to see anything on TV I should watch Dexter. And I did. It's alright. I don't get all the hype though. It's look is so cheesy...I don't know what it is, I guess it's akin to watching a crappy soap opera. Just the visual look. The rest of the show is pretty good.

He told me it shows naked people. The adult in me told me that's not the only reason to watch a show. But the twelve year old told me nudity is good. So I'll get to watching it.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

I was actually going to record all these on sky+ (FTW)

But never got round to watching em and someone deleted em aghh

But yeh Im sure I can catch up on the net =]

Veni vidi vici

I came, I saw, I conquered

Current Username : Bludclart

On episode 2. These Romans are horny bastards.

Haha yeah they are. I think we would all be happy to be there if it had really been like that.

zqXeV.jpg

• 1 year later...

I know this is an epic bump, but I just saw the finale of series 2 (vengeance) and it was incredible.

Has anybody else been keeping up with the series? I'm now left wanting more, I can't wait until the next series is made.

zqXeV.jpg

I LOVED season 1 and even enjoyed the prologue season a bit. Then I watched the first episode of season 2 and I just couldn't bring myself to like it :/ I just didn't really like the new Spartacus. And in general, the episode didn't pull me in. So I haven't watched any of the episodes past that point. One of my friends said it was good though so maybe I'll try to watch the rest.

Posted Image

Yeah I had difficulty at first with the new Spartacus, but I gave him a bit of slack as I knew it was probably hard stepping into the role after the death of Andy Whitfield. After the first 2-3 episodes, he really starts to gel with the role and the series really takes off, with surprises coming from every angle.

I think this show must be one of the most under-rated in a while, I barely hear anybody talking out about it, but then those that do seem to really enjoy it.

zqXeV.jpg