Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

I GOT IN TO UNIVERSITY

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

rocc0
[ Display Name History ]

rocc0

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,397 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
lol uk. Getting into university actually sounds hard. Here in the US of A you get good grades through high school, get good grades on your SATs (basically just another big test) send application to a bunch of schools and odds are you'll get into one.

TANSTAAFL

rangeor
[ Display Name History ]

rangeor

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,948 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Range 0r
  • Clan:SODB
^ Whoa there, not all universities are that easy to get into. Most state schools and trade schools only care if you have money, but there are a LOT that are still pretty selective. University of Florida's a state school but it's been getting tougher to get into because every Floridian and their mother wants to be a Gator. Then there's the obvious MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.
Posted Image

rocc0
[ Display Name History ]

rocc0

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 8,397 posts
^ As far as that goes, there are plenty of community colleges that anybody who put in some effort could get into.

And for those high end colleges, get straight A's, play two sports, do some community service, and either have the talent to get a scholarship or the money to attend and there's not a single place you can't get into if you try.

TANSTAAFL

Pinkbullet3
[ Display Name History ]

Pinkbullet3

Bite Me!

• Members
  • 3,878 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
Everything's always easier said than done.
Posted Image
^ Blog.

Posted Image

BLaSpHeMy
[ Display Name History ]

BLaSpHeMy

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • RSN:ibti360

Checked UCAS today... "The current status of your Application is: Congratulations! Your place at The University of Salford (S03) to study Computer Science (G400) has been confirmed."
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Providing that's right, I just gotta get my results now! Going down in 20 mins. I'm actually kinda nervous really. If I don't get into University, I'm going to spend my life in a crappy job and living in council houses for the rest of my life :unsure:

I might be at salford to study aeronautical engineering this year =]
Veni vidi vici
I came, I saw, I conquered

Current Username : Bludclart

Saru Inc
[ Display Name History ]

Saru Inc

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,463 posts
  • RSN:Saru Inc
  • RSN2:Saruman44
  • RSN '07:Thengel55

COngrats at OP for not only getting into college, but for deciding (I'm assuming ofc) on a major.

FYI, we have to choose a major before we go to university over here in the UK aka we can't go undeclared and in fact if you don't get accepted for your subject then you don't get accepted at all.

Whaaaaa I'd hate that. I have a general idea, but I'm going to take some prelimary classes in each study to see which I like best. But you are allowed to change majors... right?

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Range_This11
[ Display Name History ]

Range_This11

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
Freshmen move in on Saturday. Heh heh heh...

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Pinkbullet3
[ Display Name History ]

Pinkbullet3

Bite Me!

• Members
  • 3,878 posts

Freshmen move in on Saturday. Heh heh heh...

If only you went to UMinn, then you could laugh at me

:P
Posted Image
^ Blog.

Posted Image

dusqi
[ Display Name History ]

dusqi

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,212 posts
Congrats all who got in! Life starts at uni :)

Whaaaaa I'd hate that. I have a general idea, but I'm going to take some prelimary classes in each study to see which I like best. But you are allowed to change majors... right?

You have to start again.
For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.
The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

Saru Inc
[ Display Name History ]

Saru Inc

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,463 posts
Thats just plain ridiculous. No wonder britain is the way it is... ;)

Seriously though. Thats [developmentally delayed]ed. Even more glad I live in America now.

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RSN:Bernkastel

Seriously though. Thats [developmentally delayed]ed. Even more glad I live in America now.

How is it [developmentally delayed]ed? :blink:

Makes sense to me.

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Giordano
[ Display Name History ]

Giordano

Troll General

• Members
  • 11,438 posts
  • RSN:Pasta Cheif
  • Clan:Chef Films

Makes sense to me.

I thought we all understood Saru is just a [bleep]ing troll when it comes to anything non-American related.
"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."
Posted Image

dusqi
[ Display Name History ]

dusqi

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Your degrees are 4 years so that's an extra year anyway.

British degrees concentrate on depth rather than breadth.

The reason for that is that American universities want to make as much tuition money as possible, so the longer they have their students messing around studying Philosophy when they ultimately major in Chemical Engineering, the more money they get. British universities are largely funded by the taxpayer, so the government wants to get students in and out as soon as they can, and there's no time for messing around trying out other things.
For it is the greyness of dusk that reigns.
The time when the living and the dead exist as one.

thestig0
[ Display Name History ]

thestig0

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 231 posts
  • RSN:Thestig0
Congrats guys! I've just done my AS levels and got C, C/D, D, which isn't too bad considering I've got a year to bump that up, I'm hoping to do Computer Science (G400) too, apparently it has one of the worst employment rates for gradutes though. :(
I'm going to Wolverhampton open day tomorrow, hopefully it's good. :mrgreen:
My legions of fans:
Posted Image

Socrates
[ Display Name History ]

Socrates

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 944 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Socrates

COngrats at OP for not only getting into college, but for deciding (I'm assuming ofc) on a major.

FYI, we have to choose a major before we go to university over here in the UK aka we can't go undeclared and in fact if you don't get accepted for your subject then you don't get accepted at all.

Technically, yes, but it's not really the done thing. You more or less just start again unless your degrees are similar.
I guess we slowly lead down into courses because we have to pick our 3/4/5 a levels which then tend to lead us into degrees as they are very often needed as prerequisites to courses.
Posted Image
Thanks to Jopie for this great signature.
99 Slayer|Fishing|Summoning|Hitpoints|Attack|Strength|Defence|Fletching.
Anyone at Manchester University PM me

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RSN:Bernkastel
Yeah it gets narrowed down when you start GCSEs. You usually select which technology, arts, humanities subjects you'll study, eliminating a few. Then you pick 4 AS Levels, which usually drops down to 3 at A2... by this point you generally know which one in specific you want to continue to degree.

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

MonkeyChee
[ Display Name History ]

MonkeyChee

Scorpion Pit

• Editorial Panel
  • 605 posts
  • RSN:MonkeyChee

Congrats guys! I've just done my AS levels and got C, C/D, D, which isn't too bad considering I've got a year to bump that up, I'm hoping to do Computer Science (G400) too, apparently it has one of the worst employment rates for gradutes though. :(
I'm going to Wolverhampton open day tomorrow, hopefully it's good. :mrgreen:

I'm going there for the open day tomorrow aswell :thumbsup:

r4x9.png

260pifq.jpg
gikxIau.png

assassin_696
[ Display Name History ]

assassin_696

The Karma Police

• Members
  • 6,963 posts
Good work to everyone getting results, uni is a blast, you'll love it. Was a nice change not having the results day stress this year though!
"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Saru Inc
[ Display Name History ]

Saru Inc

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,463 posts

Makes sense to me.

Ok, let me run this by you again... I may be thinking of something different. If you lets say want to be an engineer, and then decide to be a doctor. Do you still have to retake all those basic science 1 and math 1 etc classes over? Because that is a lot of money. Thats why I don't like it. Money is lost, and time is lost.

Makes sense to me.

I thought we all understood Saru is just a [bleep]ing troll when it comes to anything non-American related.

And I think we all understand Pasta that you hate anything that is american.

/sarcasm.

Displaying an opinion that is opposite of the group is not trolling, saying y do college wen u kan sell crack is.

das1330
[ Display Name History ]

das1330

Awesome

• Members
  • 2,239 posts

Your degrees are 4 years so that's an extra year anyway.

British degrees concentrate on depth rather than breadth.

The reason for that is that American universities want to make as much tuition money as possible, so the longer they have their students messing around studying Philosophy when they ultimately major in Chemical Engineering, the more money they get. British universities are largely funded by the taxpayer, so the government wants to get students in and out as soon as they can, and there's no time for messing around trying out other things.

Only a small fraction of American universities are funded in large part through tuition. Most large state schools gain most of their money through state government appropriations, and all of the famous schools (Harvard, Yale, MIT etc) have endowments reaching the tens of billions of dollars which they use to provide for their students. I know Harvard paid out more then 300 million dollars last year in scholarships, such that they don't make much money from students staying longer - plus, nearly all universities in the US are non profits, so they really don't care about how much they pull in (per student).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users