Semantics and grammar in general.

Hobgoblinpie

Within RuneScape, I am seeing a dramatic degradation of grammatical standards. I'm sure many of us have encountered the 'Can I lend x', only to actually mean that they want to borrow an item. Obviously, English is not everyone's first language, and I have a level of tolerance (as in, I'm not going to demonise anyone for spelling things incorrectly) but when these mistakes come from people whose first language/mother tongue is indeed English, it infuriates me somewhat.

I'm not talking about typos (missing a letter out), I mean proper errors like 'Barrowing [insert item here]'.

It makes me question whether these are genuine mistakes, ignorance disguised as trolling, trolling disguised as ignorance or anything other possible combination.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people are lazy typers, so you will naturally see a lot of this.

Who cares about how people type? You get what they mean.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I don't mind but I have to admit if you type with so many grammar and spelling mistakes (eg. i lyk taking liek dis cuz 1t maiks ppl thnk im kewl) I tend to not take them as seriously, but if it's the small mistake or two I barely notice it. After all, I'm not perfect with that which probably shows in this post considering I made at least one or two.

j0xPu5R.png

I tend to assume it's purposeful mistakes as the sheer quantity of people doing so would surprise me otherwise.

I do notice it and the decline is rather unfortunate - wouldn't it be useful if their language improved from the game rather than degraded? ;)

Still, given the average age and the popularity of being silly within the game, it doesn't surprise me too much - it would be nice if it was different but some just like to follow the crowd.

It is pretty funny when used to laugh at a situation (i woz lyk omfgz0r noo00o wen he taked dclaw out!!shift1!eleven! bt it hited 0!111!!) but too many uses just turns humour into idiocy.

I honestly can't understand some people at times, like the example of people mixing up borrow and lend. :shame:

I would feel so ashamed if I saw somebody writing like that in school or at work, it's just a bad habit.

In my school I've heard people in my class saying "lol", they SAID it. :wall: [insert facepalm.gif here]

Edited a typo, I'm pretty much a grammar [bleep] most of the time. :thumbsup:

Finny_Rawrs.png

Finny_Rawrs.png

I care how they type, as I'm a grammar fascist.

Idc about your rant, as I'm a grammar liberal.

I didn't ask you to post in my rant, so telling me that you do not care about my argument is in fact a lie, as you must have cared about it to have clicked on the link to view it in the first place. You're free to make a rant about my rant though.

Idc about your rant, as I'm a grammar liberal.

I didn't ask you to post in my rant, so telling me that you do not care about my argument is in fact a lie, as you must have cared about it to have clicked on the link to view it in the first place. You're free to make a rant about my rant though.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

When I'm in a serious mood, any mistakes I make are purely mistakes. on Runescape especially I do a quick check, but nothing extensive. And when I'm not being serious? well then i mostly type like this L i mean sometimes its just for speed liek whe nim @ dks or somtimes its because ppl dun like L

But meh... It still doesn't really matter imo.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

People can and will type how they want, but I won't even bother responding if they can't write at least at a middle school level. Typing isn't difficult, and the time it takes to type out "you" is only fractions of a second longer than it takes to type "u." Finding your shift key is even easier, capitalize your "I's." I tend to give people a break in-game because the chat bar is only so long, but on the forums, there's no excuse. You'll look more intelligent and maybe you'll get a little more respect than what is typically seen on these forums if you take the time to make a well-written, well thought out post.

Etecoon.png

I'm not talking about typos (missing a letter out), I mean proper errors like 'Barrowing [insert item here]'.

My newest *favorite* is binded, as in "ima gonna get prom 2h binded". :shame:

There's also 'I payed [insert amount here] for it'. It makes me want to jump through the monitor and throttle him/her.

^ I whole-heartedly agree ^

As a writer who personally attempts to make every last sentence correctly spelled and punctuated this irks me quite a bit as well. I personally find those who type, for lack of a better term, legibly, to sound more sophisticated. To everyone else, you're probably asking yourself, "Why on Gielinor does sophistication even matter?" Well to you it probably doesn't but if you sound like you just learned your ABC's and took typing lessons from a Martian, then you prove yourself to be yet another worthless bit of existence that currently disappoints and depresses those who actually care about the representation of the Runescape community.

To quote asparagoose, "I was literally bowled over by the masses of spamming and leet-speaking twelve-year-olds who think themselves ironically cool" Granted this was referring to a highly populated free world but it seems that way every time I step in to the Grand Exchange.

"In order to lead, you must learn how to carry your followers upon your shoulders"

"A man is not only defined by his abilities, but also by those of the men with which he surrounds himself"

"The meek fight for skill and fame, the strong fight for power with the skill and fame they already have"

"There is no good without sacrifice and no sacrifice without mercy"

I understand your frustration. I find it hard to talk to people who go "cn u ast me n cns pl0x?" Then they leave without a thank you <_<

No one says pl0x, except for the e-hipsters trying to make others sound stupid.

As a writer who personally attempts to make every last sentence correctly spelled and punctuated this irks me quite a bit as well. I personally find those who type, for lack of a better term, legibly, to sound more sophisticated. To everyone else, you're probably asking yourself, "Why on Gielinor does sophistication even matter?" Well to you it probably doesn't but if you sound like you just learned your ABC's and took typing lessons from a Martian, then you prove yourself to be yet another worthless bit of existence that currently disappoints and depresses those who actually care about the representation of the Runescape community.

To quote asparagoose, "I was literally bowled over by the masses of spamming and leet-speaking twelve-year-olds who think themselves ironically cool" Granted this was referring to a highly populated free world but it seems that way every time I step in to the Grand Exchange.

And thats where I find the problem with people like you. I don't use that term degradingly, but simply a self stereotype I've created for my own need to classify the Runescape player categories. typin leeik dis jus cuz we kan even do we be in college lolll doesn't necessarily mean one is dumb. Nor should it ever insinuate that one has lost their value of worth. Is it foolish to not utilize what one is given? Why certainly; but that is where I draw the line. It is being foolish (which I, do not count in the same boat as stupidity) to tip leik dis l l l, but thats it. I get vehemently upset when people call them out on it, live and let live. There is no need to for such an attitude, and it doesn't make you appear more intelligent, nor does it make me respect your more, it makes me respect you less. I don't know how you got onto the Editorial Panel and nor do I care, all I can say is if that is your attitude towards writing, then you don't deserve it. Language and writing come in innumerable forms, and simply discriminating from one simply because your rules say so, is astonishing.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I understand your frustration. I find it hard to talk to people who go "cn u ast me n cns pl0x?" Then they leave without a thank you <_<

No one says pl0x, except for the e-hipsters trying to make others sound stupid.

Actually I've had people ask me like that before haha

Staurolite.png

And thats where I find the problem with people like you. I don't use that term degradingly, but simply a self stereotype I've created for my own need to classify the Runescape player categories. typin leeik dis jus cuz we kan even do we be in college lolll doesn't necessarily mean one is dumb. Nor should it ever insinuate that one has lost their value of worth. Is it foolish to not utilize what one is given? Why certainly; but that is where I draw the line. It is being foolish (which I, do not count in the same boat as stupidity) to tip leik dis l l l, but thats it. I get vehemently upset when people call them out on it, live and let live. There is no need to for such an attitude, and it doesn't make you appear more intelligent, nor does it make me respect your more, it makes me respect you less. I don't know how you got onto the Editorial Panel and nor do I care, all I can say is if that is your attitude towards writing, then you don't deserve it. Language and writing come in innumerable forms, and simply discriminating from one simply because your rules say so, is astonishing.

It's a prescriptivist attitude. I do agree with quite a few of those points, being a prescriptivist myself.

I do not think that how a person writes on RuneScape is indicative of their intelligence (for instance, my ex was one of those people who adds loads of extra letters to words and shortens words randomly, but she was actually a proficient writer), nor would I judge anyone who writes like that. I've merely pointed out a few of these inaccuracies which bug me (Another example would be: 'Need 95 Craft', which is a statement and not a question).

As a writer who personally attempts to make every last sentence correctly spelled and punctuated this irks me quite a bit as well.

Grammatically that's incorrect. Why not try:

"As a writer who attempts to make certain every last sentence is correctly spelled and punctuated, this irks me quite a bit as well"

or

"As a writer, who personally attempts to make every last sentence correctly spelled and punctuated, this irks me quite a bit as well. "

Just joshin' with ya :P ;)

I find if you just rise above it and lol at these people it aint too bad ^_^

Look guys... I absolutely must be a mass baby-seal murderer!

In my school I've heard people in my class saying "lol", they SAID it. :wall: [insert facepalm.gif here]

It's actually the Dutch word for fun, we use it pretty often.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Its easier to type 'need 95 craft assist' than "I need person with 95 crafting skill level to assist me for ancient effigy' - but this is not a core.

Seems you expect from others things hard to achiev. Take age (some of those are under 13...), country (for example me) and other randoms (bad internet connection, damaged keyboard etc.) in your mind. Theres always % of game trolls but most just ignore them - what you should do also, and enjoy game ;)

Also english isnt only 'chosen one' language in Runescape so ...

Sufem.png

'Need 95 craft assist' is correct. 'Need 95 craft' is not. The first states that the person wants another person with 95 crafting to assist them, the second just states that they want 95 crafting.

I don't expect people to get anything or do anything other than articulate their questions/statements in a correct way. I don't mind when things are shortened down, just when they are shortened so much that they lose their original meaning.