Semantics and grammar in general.

Hobgoblinpie

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the internet who cares?

Bad grammar and semantics can lead to tragic misunderstandings.

i understand that but i dont see how so on runescape

I'll use an earlier example:

"Buy whip!"

This appears to be some sort of command, of which the only way to respond is to use an OMALI 3000 action figure which, when activated, shouts an appropriate response. In this case, said response is "you can't tell me what to do!"

See? That guy might've avoided being yelled at if he had typed "buying a whip," which is much more acceptable and easier to understand.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

However, everyone knows what he means by 'buy whip' and its quicker to type - everyone wins. Except freaky grammar freaks. But they can go to hell. ;)

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

However, everyone knows what he means by 'buy whip' and its quicker to type - everyone wins. Except freaky grammar freaks. But they can go to hell. ;)

You made a mistake, sentences don't start on "but".

Personally, I think at least some bare-bones grammar could be used - it takes me up to a minute to decipher what some people are saying!

dilo_1_2.png

It's what I do

6968.png

See above for the definition of 'freaky grammar freaks'.

I'm English, so English is my first language, and I know for certain that there is not a single person who speaks English who will be confused if a sentence begins with but.

This topic is ranting about people who talk like: "Omg omg omg, u R t3h n00b l0l0l0l c0z U no s3ll me U st00fz. Omg Ur' stup1d."

You don't need to try hard to understand that sentence, especially if english is your "first language".

pixelsig.png

nubguy.jpg

R.I.P. Neko :[

5,445,898,965th to 99 Woodcutting

Blogs are dead

I'm English, so English is my first language, and I know for certain that there is not a single person who speaks English who will be confused if a sentence begins with but.

This topic is ranting about people who talk like: "Omg omg omg, u R t3h n00b l0l0l0l c0z U no s3ll me U st00fz. Omg Ur' stup1d."

You don't need to try hard to understand that sentence, especially if english is your "first language".

How would you define first language?

If you grow up in a multilingual household like me, That term is more colourful than it might seem.

How would you define first language?

If you grow up in a multilingual household like me, That term is more colourful than it might seem.

The same way Sw0rd defines "first language", as I quoted that from his post. He may or not live in a "multilingual household".

pixelsig.png

nubguy.jpg

R.I.P. Neko :[

5,445,898,965th to 99 Woodcutting

Blogs are dead

20100826.gif

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

'Need 95 craft assist' is correct. 'Need 95 craft' is not. The first states that the person wants another person with 95 crafting to assist them, the second just states that they want 95 crafting.

I don't expect people to get anything or do anything other than articulate their questions/statements in a correct way. I don't mind when things are shortened down, just when they are shortened so much that they lose their original meaning.

Just call it slang. I get irked by really bad spelling at times; bad grammar annoys me too, but bad grammar in the sense of not using periods or capitalizing letters.

Anyways, if a person is on w117 at the Damonheim entrance, YOU should be smart enough to realize they're looking for assists...

It is however, depressing how people type sometimes....I'm more picky about it on forums, where people just type something, without breaking it into sentences or anything. I find it difficult to follow at times. I get more annoyed on forums when people don't use periods and capitalize the first letter of every sentence. No point in that on RS however, given how short the RS chat bar is.

Age is quite possibly part of it too - i used 2 type as quick as i cud bak wen i started rs, at liek 13, an id talk about sk8 an stuff

Argh. That is painful. Takes quite a bit of effort for me to actually type like that as well.

In case that's too painful to read, I'm trying to show an example of how I typed at age 13ish, when I started playing RS. (I'm not actually sure how old I was...)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Remember half the people that play RS now are infact those 13 year olds we all once were - and infact some would rather talk in abbreivated words....

Get used to it - they'll be a grammar facist when they hit 16+. School teaches them that. hehe.

• 2 weeks later...

You can teach people proper grammar and spelling all you like, but if they're typing in slang 90% of the time (ie: texting/forums/in-game/etc...) then they're still not going to know, or even care, how to use it.

Personally, I think that history will look back upon the last decade as the birth of a new language, an offshoot of English if you will, and it terrifies me that the common language we're all moving towards will be full of words like "pwn" and "leet".

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

You know what really grinds my gears? When you know the person on the other end, and you know they are a College Graduate, yet they still type like they're 12 years old. Eugh

Edit -

20100826.gif

Totally reminds me of this;

someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet1.jpg

And this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kptpoc1mQV8

• 2 weeks later...

You can teach people proper grammar and spelling all you like, but if they're typing in slang 90% of the time (ie: texting/forums/in-game/etc...) then they're still not going to know, or even care, how to use it.

Personally, I think that history will look back upon the last decade as the birth of a new language, an offshoot of English if you will, and it terrifies me that the common language we're all moving towards will be full of words like "pwn" and "leet".

These are all having a dramatic effect on the way we talk in general.

I always preferred complete, sophisticated grammar because that tells me the person is a bit intelligent. You look back at the past and you can see the way people talked, it was more sophisticated and more formal. These days, it's all about being casual. Nobody really talks in that formal, courteous manner anymore like you saw in the early-mid 20th century. On the Internet there is a lot of bragging and boasting. Internet users are basically comprised of Generation X and Y people who enjoy speaking in "L33T" and short-talk such as "lol", "imo" and "wth". No, this isn't stereotyping or saying that all do. It's the majority and the change of the English language. Slang gets old and becomes dead.

And thats where I find the problem with people like you. I don't use that term degradingly, but simply a self stereotype I've created for my own need to classify the Runescape player categories. typin leeik dis jus cuz we kan even do we be in college lolll doesn't necessarily mean one is dumb. Nor should it ever insinuate that one has lost their value of worth. Is it foolish to not utilize what one is given? Why certainly; but that is where I draw the line. It is being foolish (which I, do not count in the same boat as stupidity) to tip leik dis l l l, but thats it. I get vehemently upset when people call them out on it, live and let live. There is no need to for such an attitude, and it doesn't make you appear more intelligent, nor does it make me respect your more, it makes me respect you less. I don't know how you got onto the Editorial Panel and nor do I care, all I can say is if that is your attitude towards writing, then you don't deserve it. Language and writing come in innumerable forms, and simply discriminating from one simply because your rules say so, is astonishing.

Oh really?

Ifz I tpe leik dis does yo tink me articlz R gonna 2 get t3h published? Its exactly how I got ON the editorial team, for writing in a clear, concise fashion. Furthermore its not just my rules, I'm pretty sure its the rules of the English Language in general.

I think it misrepresents the runescape community. If I was a new player and I saw pplz tlkngi leik dis or just "speaking" in a fashion befitting someone below the age of... oh lets use 13 since thats the age jagex lets people use chat at, I would be terribly disappointed at the rather immature community and move on to another game. I'm not speaking of typos or general abbreviations but clear ineptitude at communication and maturity thereof.

As for slang, you only get a limited amount of space and I do use slang however I draw the line when I try to be official, when I write, and certainly when I speak

"In order to lead, you must learn how to carry your followers upon your shoulders"

"A man is not only defined by his abilities, but also by those of the men with which he surrounds himself"

"The meek fight for skill and fame, the strong fight for power with the skill and fame they already have"

"There is no good without sacrifice and no sacrifice without mercy"

And thats where I find the problem with people like you. I don't use that term degradingly, but simply a self stereotype I've created for my own need to classify the Runescape player categories. typin leeik dis jus cuz we kan even do we be in college lolll doesn't necessarily mean one is dumb. Nor should it ever insinuate that one has lost their value of worth. Is it foolish to not utilize what one is given? Why certainly; but that is where I draw the line. It is being foolish (which I, do not count in the same boat as stupidity) to tip leik dis l l l, but thats it. I get vehemently upset when people call them out on it, live and let live. There is no need to for such an attitude, and it doesn't make you appear more intelligent, nor does it make me respect your more, it makes me respect you less. I don't know how you got onto the Editorial Panel and nor do I care, all I can say is if that is your attitude towards writing, then you don't deserve it. Language and writing come in innumerable forms, and simply discriminating from one simply because your rules say so, is astonishing.

Oh really?

Ifz I tpe leik dis does yo tink me articlz R gonna 2 get t3h published? Its exactly how I got ON the editorial team, for writing in a clear, concise fashion. Furthermore its not just my rules, I'm pretty sure its the rules of the English Language in general.

I think it misrepresents the runescape community. If I was a new player and I saw pplz tlkngi leik dis or just "speaking" in a fashion befitting someone below the age of... oh lets use 13 since thats the age jagex lets people use chat at, I would be terribly disappointed at the rather immature community and move on to another game. I'm not speaking of typos or general abbreviations but clear ineptitude at communication and maturity thereof.

As for slang, you only get a limited amount of space and I do use slang however I draw the line when I try to be official, when I write, and certainly when I speak

There's a slight difference between being extremely nit-picky, and those who genuinely find 'text speak' annoying.

In fact, I've got a quote here; ":o just imagine dat face on my picture!

bby no, i wuz......just kidding? tell me wat i can dew 2 make things rite again, bak 2 the way things used 2 be. remember that one time we said we loved each other...i want 2 go bak 2 those days again. i jus wanted 2 kno fersure. im srry.. :( btw saruman asked me 2 marry him on the confessions thread and ima say no 4 u bby."

I generally agree with the OP here, it's fine to use some abbreviations whilst typing on the internet, but I draw the line when people use more than 2 per line of text.

It gets worse too, sometimes it'll develop into spoken abbreviations, which is stupid in general. I'm sure most people have encountered it before, "Lol" and "Soz" being said in real life (which is extremely annoying).

Hmm, not sure what else to say really, not much of this thread has been aimed at me. Oh well, I'll post this now I guess

Oh really?

What? To be frank, the grammar in some of the articles is appalling, and don't take it personally, but if you're one of the editors... yikes. Also, your verbal tonage assumes that I wish to be on this team, though I do not. No one types like the first sentence you typed. If they do, they are simply mocking a dead stereotype. And that's my problem with it. Not the actual fact that you hold your grammar up so highly, but that you put down everyone who does not.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

What? To be frank, the grammar in some of the articles is appalling, and don't take it personally, but if you're one of the editors... yikes. Also, your verbal tonage assumes that I wish to be on this team, though I do not. No one types like the first sentence you typed. If they do, they are simply mocking a dead stereotype. And that's my problem with it. Not the actual fact that you hold your grammar up so highly, but that you put down everyone who does not.

I don't take it personally, debates on forums are always just a bit of fun to me :rolleyes: . Furthermore my articles are generally accepted as well-written and shall continue to be so. As for being "one of the editors" we actually have different weeks that we are scheduled for so on the articles that I am not assigned to I really have no responsibility for them. However I could double check them if you want and make sure that they meet expectation. As for "putting people down" I wasn't aware correcting people was synonymous with putting them down. Unless of course they're the hyper-sensative type that thinks a teacher hates them for giving them an F when they clearly didn't know the material.

Likewise, you prove my previous point. If someone communicates, be it in game or in an article, in a poor fashion you think "yikes" and thats my opinion as well. As for my first post on this thread I figured a little melodrama would insert a smidge of humor; not start a [lettuce]-fest. In game I do generally tend to ignore it but it does strike me as something to be avoided. First impressions are very important to me and when I have someone following me shouting Lend Claws when they clearly wish to borrow the claws that I am wearing or I got an prom 2h binded etc. I generally tend to have a negative impression. I hope that more clearly explains my stance

"In order to lead, you must learn how to carry your followers upon your shoulders"

"A man is not only defined by his abilities, but also by those of the men with which he surrounds himself"

"The meek fight for skill and fame, the strong fight for power with the skill and fame they already have"

"There is no good without sacrifice and no sacrifice without mercy"

I think coherency is essential for communication, so I put a good amount of effort into my articulation. If someone is trying to communicate in a way that's too hard to decipher, I'll probably just ask them what they meant or ignore it. Pointing out the flaws to the people who do care (such as pointing out a spelling mistake I might have made) has a beneficial purpose because I want to learn how to be well-spoken. However, complaining about the way trolls and Facebookers type is fruitless. They obviously have different principals (favoring efficiency and looking hip) when it comes to communication. You can look down at them all you want, but they'll probably look down on you for being a nerd. I've learned to judge people on what they say instead of how they said it. I've seen too many well-spoken idiots.

I think coherency is essential for communication, so I put a good amount of effort into my articulation. If someone is trying to communicate in a way that's too hard to decipher, I'll probably just ask them what they meant or ignore it. Pointing out the flaws to the people who do care (such as pointing out a spelling mistake I might have made) has a beneficial purpose because I want to learn how to be well-spoken. However, complaining about the way trolls and Facebookers type is fruitless. They obviously have different principals (favoring efficiency and looking hip) when it comes to communication. You can look down at them all you want, but they'll probably look down on you for being a nerd. I've learned to judge people on what they say instead of how they said it. I've seen too many well-spoken idiots.

Agreed.

Also, I lol'd at the WKUK clip a couple posts above. Haha.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

It's not just the English speakers either, Dutch, Portuguese, French, German you name it.

They're all using poor grammar. Even if it is their first language.

Ever seen an English speaker try to type Dutch with only a Dictionary at their disposal? The result makes me cry more than a basket of onions.

Even the Esperantists I know that play RS besides me use poor grammar and spelling. Which in case no one knows, Makes it VERY hard to understand.

Indeed, it annoys me when I see it happening too, and it can lead to awkward and hurtful misunderstandings.

To be fair though, it is hard to blame youngsters for not using proper spelling and gramatical constructions in a language that is not their first. If you would, than it is well within their right to demand you produce perfect Dutch, German, Spanish, or whatever their first language may be. Making such remarks got more than a few to try and speak Dutch through online dictionaries, practically forcing me to facepalm while they went about abusing my first language.

What is sad though, is that I find myself correcting native speakers of English in their own language more than I care to admit.

ms_julie.png

jafjepediasig.jpg

angel2w.gif Tip.It Website Crew Leader

[hide=Quotes]

I love it how Jafje comes outa nowhere and answers my questions

Hehe now we know what real life does...drugs, drugs, more drugs. Thank god we are addicted to something that won't kill us.

[/hide]

Guest jrhairychest

i lyk taking liek dis cuz 1t maiks ppl thnk im kewl

I'm not exactly a grammar Nazi. I understand everyone makes mistakes or gets a bit lazy. I have real trouble in reading lines like this in game. My face is stuck to the screen trying to decipher it. Guess it's an age thing.

On a further note, my place of employment has declined a number of employment applications in recent times, many due to poor spelling/grammar errors, so the applicants didn't even get an interview. Many of these applicants were from graduates fresh out of university. School drove it into us about spelling and grammar but it seems to have taken a back seat these days.