Mosque at Ground Zero

fakeitormakeit2

So I haven't seen this posted nor did I find it through a quick search so I apologize if this topic was already fabricated/deleted.

So I'm curious to see everyone's take on the mosque being planned to be built in the vicinity of ground zero. For those of you who haven't heard of it, although I'm sure mostly everyone has, Muslims are planning to build a mosque in several minutes walking distance from Ground Zero which has upset many people due to various reasons, many claiming such construction would be a slap in the face to the family of victims. So what is your opinion? If you believe it shouldn't be built, why not? If you believe it should be built, why so?

I personally believe that the reason why so many people oppose the construction of a mosque by ground zero is because many Americans feel that would be a type of memorial for 9/11. This, however, I think is just paranoia and Islamophobia. Probably none of the Muslims involved with the construction of this mosque had anything to do with 9/11, nor probably supported it. Since 9/11 Middle Eastern people of every religious [and non-religious!] affiliation have been discriminated against, by verbal comments and assumptions. With that in mind, these Muslims just want a house of worship and it is protected under the US's policy of religious freedom to build said house. If they wish to do so, they have all right. However I always like to question, just because you have the right to do something, does that mean you should disregard the sensitivity of others? And my response is no [after all, that's what turn the other cheek is about, ignoring a small insult if it doesn't obstruct your personal operation under your ideals, it is quite classless to fight to be the one with the last word]. Quite frankly I think the Muslims should find a location situated sightly further away to be consider to people who think it will be a monument to 9/11, however to compensate for their consideration the new location should be purchased by the objectors and the old site would have to be reimbursed to the owner as well.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a mosque, it's a community center that's open to the public. Inside of this public community center (that's main intent is to get kids off the street to reduce drug use and crime), there just so happens to be an Islamic place of worship. Also, it's not even at Ground Zero. As opposed to what many seem to think, 2 blocks away =/= at Ground Zero.

Do you call St. Mary's Hospital a church just because it has a chapel inside? No, you don't.

Also, the first amendment guarantees freedom of religion. I know I would be mad if they told us (Catholics) we couldn't build a church somewhere because 2 blocks away has some special meaning for Protestants.

EDIT: Olbermann is the Glenn Beck of Liberals. Nothing he says should be taken seriously.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

My grandmother is going to have a field day with this. -.-

I personally think it's just coincidence.

It's a shame 9/11 had to happen. Now, Muslims are always discriminated against for something they had no control over and did not do. People will always find some way to frame Muslims.

It's not a mosque, it's a community center that's open to the public. Inside of this public community center (that's main intent is to get kids off the street to reduce drug use and crime), there just so happens to be an Islamic place of worship. Also, it's not even at Ground Zero. As opposed to what many seem to think, 2 blocks away =/= at Ground Zero.

Do you call St. Mary's Hospital a church just because it has a chapel inside? No, you don't.

Also, the first amendment guarantees freedom of religion. I know I would be mad if they told us (Catholics) we couldn't build a church somewhere because 2 blocks away has some special meaning for Protestants.

EDIT: Olbermann is the Glenn Beck of Liberals. Nothing he says should be taken seriously.

Which is funny because he said the exact same thing as you.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

So he has a little more sense than Glenn Beck. Good for him. That's not saying much, though. Bear in mind this is coming from a Moderate-Conservative...

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

Cracked.com had an article that said the exact same thing, and it mentioned St. Mary's Hospital as well.tongue.gif

Pretty much America is getting scared at anything having to remotely do with Muslims, just like we've done for plenty of other countries in the past. Hopefully we'll get to a point in the future where this is all behind us.

Have you been reading Cracked lately by any chance? Gladstone said basically the same thing. Including the St. Mary's comparison. Not that I disagree with either of you, of course.

Not sure what else to say. Thing's going to be a symbol of both moving on and of tolerance.

Cracked.com had an article that said the exact same thing, and it mentioned St. Mary's Hospital as well.tongue.gif

Pretty much America is getting scared at anything having to remotely do with Muslims, just like we've done for plenty of other countries in the past. Hopefully we'll get to a point in the future where this is all behind us.

Yeah Cracked is awesome (although I was born at a hospital with that name).

Anyway, it's unfortunate that America is for some reason scared of Muslims. I live nearby the largest population of Muslims in the country (Dearborn), and they're very nice people. In fact, they don't even talk about religion to me. The only ones that annoy me about religion are the Christians from the South who say I'm evil or something for being Catholic. But that's a completely different story...

Hamtaro.png

So he's an avid reader of Cracked.

Build it on Ground Zero. Now it's just a building close to a place. I think there should be a temple for every major religion at the top of those "Freedom Towers" that might never get built. A community center wouldn't hurt. Basketball at 1,000 feet! Woo!

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

The reason people see it as an attack on american principles is because some Muslims are radicals - the kind of radicals who perpetrated the 911 attacks. Unless this mosque will agree to completely alienate those radicals who harbor anti-american sentiment (which they won't) I can see why it is viewed as offensive.

That said, it is the freedom to be offensive that sets america (and others) apart from the rest of the world. The mosque should be allowed.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

The Muslims involved in the building of this structure are Americans, and have the same rights as you or I. Just because a few extremists use the religion as an excuse to vent their frustrations doesn't mean the entire religion is hiding a bomb under its shirt.

Islam is not the culprit here. It's a disgrace that supposedly well-informed public figures should think Islam and terrorism are synonymous. The fact of the matter is that these people have no more connection to the September 11th attacks than a modern semi-religious Christian has to the Crusades.

There were American Muslims who died in the attacks as well. Do they have any less right to remembrance?

Edit: To the above post, the Muslim terrorists are reactionary. A radical is an extreme liberal, a reactionary is an extreme conservative. And the man in charge of the mosque has repeatedly spoken out against terrorism, both before and after the attacks.

I thought the bit on the Daily Show where Jon Stewart used a speech by the ex-head of NRA after the Columbine shootings that basically said, they aren't responsible for two crazies just because they both use the same things (guns). While I don't always agree with the NRA, this speech was really very true and can be almost directly applied to the current situation. Just replace 2nd Amendment with 1st Amendment (I think Jon said this, will look for video if I can.)

EDIT: Video: Skip to about 7:00 for the part I'm talking about, but really the whole video is interesting, and if you don't agree, it at least has some jokes in it :thumbsup:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-august-19-2010/extremist-makeover---homeland-edition

In Soviet Russia, glass eats OTers.

Alansson Alansson, woo woo woo!

Pink owns yes, just like you!

GOOOOOOOOOO ALAN! WOO!

I thought the bit on the Daily Show where Jon Stewart used a speech by the ex-head of NRA after the Columbine shootings that basically said, they aren't responsible for two crazies just because they both use the same things (guns). While I don't always agree with the NRA, this speech was really very true and can be almost directly applied to the current situation. Just replace 2nd Amendment with 1st Amendment (I think Jon said this, will look for video if I can.)

EDIT: Video: Skip to about 7:00 for the part I'm talking about, but really the whole video is interesting, and if you don't agree, it at least has some jokes in it :thumbsup:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-august-19-2010/extremist-makeover---homeland-edition

Came here to post about that.

This whole thing is just dumb. There is a mosque in the pentagon that people don't have issues with.

What is funny is that a lot of people are using ground zero as an excuse for just not wanting a "mosque" there in general. They're just using the excuse for their own religious intolerance.

I guess I just can't see any legitimate reason to oppose building a community center a few blocks down from ground zero. I mean its not like a few blocks off is "holy ground", if I remember right theres a strip club and some random stores that are within that distance of ground zero.

It's a complete non-issue and it amazes me that it is such a big deal - there is no legal or legitimate moral/ethical reason for opposing the building.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I totally hate Walmarts. But there's one down the street, wtfbbq. Where do I go to [bleep]? :angry:

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

the first amendment has limits. that's not particularly relevant because this isn't really a matter of legality, but one of taste.

sometimes i doubt your commitment to sparkle motion...

I think it's fine. It was Terrorists that attacked, they happened to be Muslim. It's an example of people still thinking all Muslims are terrorists. Also, it's been 9 years people. Let. It. Go.

I totally hate Walmarts. But there's one down the street, wtfbbq. Where do I go to [bleep]? :angry:

I actually would rather live next to a mosque then a Walmart because there's a morals/ethics arguments against Walmart but that's a different story haha.

kaisershami.png

He who wears his morality but as his best garment were better naked... Your daily life is your temple and your religion

the first amendment has limits. that's not particularly relevant because this isn't really a matter of legality, but one of taste.

It's a community center two blocks away. Not even bad taste to do it.

You'd think that they were planning to build a mosque out of aborted fetuses on top on the ruins with all that they were saying about it.

I dislike the idea of "supporting" the building of it in the first place. I mean, what does that even mean? Do I think they should move? No. Do I think they should build it? Well, being as I don't really like religion at all, my opinion would be no lol. However, I would like it if less religious things were erected altogether, not just this. So really it's a stupid question. "Do you support them building it or don't you?" Frankly, I don't care. It's their property, they've made their choice, so that means that I do support their building it; and I'm not going to be terrorized with stupid right-wing ploys, lies, and racial/religious bigotry.

This is just so [bleep]ing stupid, and it pisses me off that it reaches the national scene because of some far-right fascist named Pam who is paged regularly by Murdoch and Roger Ailes for their next controversy and ginned up "scare white people" story. That wasn't political rhetoric, either; the woman who ginned this story up is literally a fascist who speaks at neo-Nazi rallies.

Hey, guys, unemployment is like 9.5% and it's the Republicans' fault; hey, guys, Pakistan is underwater, why isn't there as large of a response as there was to Haiti (which probably still hasn't gotten even 10% of the promised donations); hey, guys, Moscow is burning and people are literally being evacuated due to the smog. All of these issues, and we're talking about a god damned mosque in NY City.

It's nothing but bigotry towards the other.

They call Obama a Muslim -- and are quite suddenly lashing out at "his people" almost a decade after 9/11--- simply because they aren't allowed to call him what they want to call him. Sure, they don't think Muslims are American. They also don't think liberals are American, blacks are American, Mexicans are American, gays are American, atheists are American or anyone else who doesn't identify themselves explicitly with them are American. They are, you see, Real America. Everyone else is not.

If the right wing plays its cards right, the Democratic congress will end up passing a resolution declaring Obama a Muslim and outlawing mosques within a hundred miles of a military base, after which the Republicans will take to the airwaves protesting that the government wasted taxpayers money while desperate Americans are denied unemployment insurance.