Tip.It Times - 22nd August 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I enjoyed the second articles, but the first article was a little flawed in its logic. Ice Blitz is much stronger than Water Surge because it can do two things at once. It's much easier to combo with melee or range. Lunars are the best for Farming, obviously, and when you can use Spellbook Swap it becomes the best for pking. I just stick to normal magics because I'm a noob :P

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

Didn't really like the first one. The three paragraphs explaining what the three different books are about were unecessarily long, boring to read. As for the whole point of the thing, well yeah each book is designed for a different kind of player, however you need to realize the standard one is far more developped and updated than the two others, making it far more useful. It's true that from a certain point of view, you'd only use those two other books when you feel like casting different spells for the fun of it, or when you need to do a specific task, not for daily use. They're there for secondary tasks, and therefore can be considered secondary books.

Second one, I agree with it. It's true that just because you don't use a training spot anymore, doesn't mean it's pointless. Many other people still use it. When I go for strolls with friends I do like passing by just for the lulz.

signaturemw.png

The Water surge and Entangle combo is inferior to ice spells because you will spend one combat turn dealing comparatively no damage, whereas ice spells deal constant damage even on the turn where you are trying to hold your enemy in place.

I liked the second article though.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Second-Rate Magers - Meh, well written, but I knew this already.

"Where have you been?" - This article gave me a warm fuzzy feeling... *eyes glaze over* I remember mining at varrock east, killing countless goblins in that hut accross the river from lumby and mindlessly killing chickens for feathers. *gives Mirrorforced a pat on the back* Gratz on a great article. :)

"300 programmers make their futile but glorious last stand against 1000000 angry players in The battle of Misthalin. They fight for honor, glory and new content sacrificing themselves so that their game may live on. This is Madness! This Is JAGEEEX!"

The first article isn't very good. It ought to be fairly obvious that ancient magicks are better than modern in Castle Wars--compared to Entangle, they're more accurate, can be autocasted, hold for longer, hit multiple targets, deal damage, and can effectively damage barricades. So, duh, right? And the long-winded explanation of each spellbook basically amounts to a list of the spells in each book without any analysis or anything, which I could just as easily look up in the Game Guide and get the same info. So, the article is a miss for me. :thumbdown:

Not much to say about the second article.

For castle wars anything but ancients is second rate if you're maging.

maulmachine4.png

Corporeal Drops:2xHoly elixers

Bandos Drops: Bcp(soloed) 5x hilts 8x tassets

Armadyl Drops:Armadyl Hilt(trio)

Zamorak Drops: 2xZamorakian spear 3x Steam battlestaff

Lunars all the way

also the second one was good too

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

For castle wars anything but ancients is second rate if you're maging.

Ancients are obviously better, but when you factor in the price - twice as much as surges, then it's questionable how 'second rate' Surges really are. They're definitely a viable alternative for the financially challenged :P

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Maybe in the first article it was nothing to do with the spell book.

It could have been that the author wasn't using, for example, an arcane stream? Some high level players may consider a mager without this (and maybe other equipment like staff of light/decent mage robes) a second rate mager.

screenshot041aoj0.jpg

What I think the first article is getting at is that people should be able to do whatever they want on whatever their spellbook if they feel like it without being insulted. If somebody is on regular magic and has a few runes, they should be able to go to a time wasting mini-game for fun without worrying about being hassled. You shouldn't need to prepare for 20 mins buying runes and changing magic just to play.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Sorry, but for me the first article was disappointing. The start-off is already a bit flawed because the "second-rate" is a typical comment of the "oh I'm so pro"-players, who always have been there and always will be, and which opinions often don't have to do with reality. but, okay, if it's just an incentive for the article thats ok.

but now. 3/5 of the article, if not more are a simple description of the spellbooks. Seriously, if you play runescape you know what's in those spell books. If you don't look it up in the game guide. This part gives me absolutely nothing and is just boring. sorry but that's how it is.

Now, to the conclusion. Lunar is for skiller, ancient for combat and standard for in between. Okay we know that.

"that doesn't make standard a second-rate option"(no direct quote).

apart from the fact that the word second-rate is a bit misfitting here(seeing from which type of player it comes), it's actually right.

Ice spells are more useful than surges+binds because the do both in one, therefore you don't lose out on combat rounds. I also heard Ancients is more accurate.

And for the cost-factor: yes sometimes it may be the smarter decision - but someone who uses an inferior method because its cheaper - isn't that exactly "second-rate"?

Second article was good, nice to look back in the past although I'd liked it to be a bit longer.

What I think the first article is getting at is that people should be able to do whatever they want on whatever their spellbook if they feel like it without being insulted. If somebody is on regular magic and has a few runes, they should be able to go to a time wasting mini-game for fun without worrying about being hassled. You shouldn't need to prepare for 20 mins buying runes and changing magic just to play.

may be, but basing an article just off one idiot's comment...I don't really play castlewars, but I don't think you're going to get that hassled. Also we still wouldn't have needed that lengthy description of spell books....

First article was interesting...however, I'd like to point out that with my various house portals, fairy rings, etc, the teleportation aspect of the spellbooks is moot to me. Standard teleport has...trollheim, all the other ones are in my house, and at my magic level I can easily use spellswap.

Speaking of which, I'd love to put some damn lunar teleports in a portal. Catherby is one nice teleport, and lunar isle/daggannoth teleport are nice dreams.

Still, it's fairly true that the standard spellbook, while not being as combat orientated as the ancient spellbook, can still be a force to be reckoned with. Entangle, teleblock, fire surge, Claws of guthix (not mentioning the others 'cause THEIR godstaff doesn't have a 10% bonus...)

Sorry, but for me the first article was disappointing. The start-off is already a bit flawed because the "second-rate" is a typical comment of the "oh I'm so pro"-players, who always have been there and always will be, and which opinions often don't have to do with reality. but, okay, if it's just an incentive for the article thats ok.

but now. 3/5 of the article, if not more are a simple description of the spellbooks. Seriously, if you play runescape you know what's in those spell books. If you don't look it up in the game guide. This part gives me absolutely nothing and is just boring. sorry but that's how it is.

Now, to the conclusion. Lunar is for skiller, ancient for combat and standard for in between. Okay we know that.

"that doesn't make standard a second-rate option"(no direct quote).

apart from the fact that the word second-rate is a bit misfitting here(seeing from which type of player it comes), it's actually right.

Ice spells are more useful than surges+binds because the do both in one, therefore you don't lose out on combat rounds. I also heard Ancients is more accurate.

And for the cost-factor: yes sometimes it may be the smarter decision - but someone who uses an inferior method because its cheaper - isn't that exactly "second-rate"?

Second article was good, nice to look back in the past although I'd liked it to be a bit longer.

Last I checked, Fire Surge was more accurate then Ice Barrage...

I might just test that someday o.O

I liked the second article. Actually, I recently went to a bunch of resource dungeons recently, and was amazed to find that the chaos druid one (which requires what, level 10 dunge?) had one person in it. I thought they were supposed to be popular. Maybe there REALLY aren't that many people at duneg o.O My best guess is that most of the people to whom that'd be useful are too newby to know about it. ("Newby" not "Nooby" for those who understand the distinction.)

I find it interesting how most people agree that the 2nd article was better, then go on to talk about the first article, if only to state their disagreement. To me, the most successful article is the one that generates the most commentary.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

First article: I really don't understand what the point of explaining all three spellbooks was. You're posting an article on a Runescape fansite, so your audience is likely to know that information beforehand. It seemed as though the entire point was to defend yourself against some stranger who called you a noob, and you didn't even do that very well. Ancients are far better than modern magicks for PVP, and not just because the spells are better (autocast, anyone?).

I'd much rather read an article about magic from Muggi or someone with similar experience.

Second article: Well-written. It inspired a twinge of nostalgia and retrospection in me. I especially liked the last line.

EDIT:

I find it interesting how most people agree that the 2nd article was better, then go on to talk about the first article, if only to state their disagreement. To me, the most successful article is the one that generates the most commentary.

There's a difference between a controversial article and a poorly written article. If the first article was controversial, edgy, and sparked some sort of heated discussion, I'd absolutely agree. However, it's just a list of spells and a tiny little attempt by the author to defend herself against a stranger. You'll typically find that people are much more vocal about things they dislike than things they like. In this case, the first article sucked, and everyone's pointing it out.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Lunars is the best spellbook.

Yes, you don't go charging into a battle with it, at least not if you're maging. But Vengeance is incredible and all the other spells are so useful outside of combat.

People don't talk about it because it's good, they talk about it because it's easy to attack. Easy to attack =/= good.

The second one is good.. it just has little to no discussion value because of how everyone agrees with it.

signaturemw.png

it could have been that the author wasn't using, for example, an arcane stream? Some high level players may consider a mager without this (and maybe other equipment like staff of light/decent mage robes) a second rate mager.

Nope, I had full infinity, an Arcane Stream, a Tome of Frost and a Staff of Light on... so it was the fact that I was using Water Surges.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to get at, and the fact that all spellbooks have their uses and none of them are "Second-Rate".

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

it could have been that the author wasn't using, for example, an arcane stream? Some high level players may consider a mager without this (and maybe other equipment like staff of light/decent mage robes) a second rate mager.

Nope, I had full infinity, an Arcane Stream, a Tome of Frost and a Staff of Light on... so it was the fact that I was using Water Surges.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to get at, and the fact that all spellbooks have their uses and none of them are "Second-Rate".

To be perfectly honest....in terms of pure combat maging, standard is second rate to ancients....especially in a large multicombat arena such as C Wars. Sure, watersurge is a nice spell, fairly accurate, possibly more then ancients, and you have entangle... but barrages beat it out. Especially with the 9x targeting...freezing a large group of melee'ers, or just healing off them....

Damn though, I want an arcane stream >.< exp weekend threw me off track. Not so sure on the tome of frost....I can get water runes in more ways then one, but not 48k tokens. Maybe after a chaotic weapon...

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

To be perfectly honest....in terms of pure combat maging, standard is second rate to ancients....especially in a large multicombat arena such as C Wars.

Exactly.

In the true sense of the word, you are second rate. In the same way that someone using broad bolts in PVP instead of say dragon bolts is second rate.

Sure, broad bolts are much more cost effective, but you are most definately second rate in comparison to dragon bolts.

Now the REAL thing to rant about is why many players honestly feel the need to constantly insult other players, people can play the game how they want to play. If they don't want to blow millions barraging in castle wars, let them be...

O.O

First article: My whip is second rate, but it still gets the job done, especially since I'm not training strength. My 20k rune pickaxe works good enough that I sold my 13M dragon pickaxe. The difference in efficiency didn't seem to justify the difference in price.

Second rate isn't always a bad option. I get what you were trying to say, though I think you may have provided a poor analogy. Standard spellbook is inferior in comparison with Castle Wars. Just like I wouldn't expect a dragon scimitar to defeat a godsword in a typical duel. In terms of training, though, a dragon scimmy is still a viable, cost effective option. As was also pointed out, the explanation of the spellbooks was too much.

Second article: Your article also made me admit that the game seems to be getting broader in terms of training methods. There used to be considered one, efficient method of training, and maybe a money-making method or two. The differences seem to be growing, and that's a wonderful thing.

In terms of progression though, it seems Jagex is slowly reversing their policies. There are more ways to build skills with less time actually doing the tasks. More D&Ds and Bonus XP weekends degrade the value of the experience. As I read one Jagex employee put it, it's not about accomplishment, but being able to get to the "fun" things faster. That means newer players won't have to earn their stripes on those chaos druids. Overall, a fun article. And ending it with flattery will get you everywhere. :wink:

rssig2.png

Well, Ahrim's is better than Infinity. But yeah, modern magic really is weaker than ancients. Especially in Castle Wars where movement is super-important to the gameplay.