Tip.It Times - 22nd August 2010

Racheya

In reply to requiem, you were called 'second rate magers' not people using a second rate spellbook. I've regularly changed the course of castle wars games just by knowing how to entangle effectively (where to stand/place barricades etc), it's far more accurate than ice spells and if you don't have to rely on doing damage to the scorer with magic then it's not much worse than ice barraging. It's more than likely that the person insulting you was referring to your skills rather than your spellbook. Alternatively it was just some idiot who wanted to flame someone and should be ignored for that exact reason.

ichigosig2da4.jpg

First article: I really don't understand what the point of explaining all three spellbooks was. You're posting an article on a Runescape fansite, so your audience is likely to know that information beforehand. It seemed as though the entire point was to defend yourself against some stranger who called you a noob, and you didn't even do that very well. Ancients are far better than modern magicks for PVP, and not just because the spells are better (autocast, anyone?).

I'd much rather read an article about magic from Muggi or someone with similar experience.

Second article: Well-written. It inspired a twinge of nostalgia and retrospection in me. I especially liked the last line.

EDIT:

I find it interesting how most people agree that the 2nd article was better, then go on to talk about the first article, if only to state their disagreement. To me, the most successful article is the one that generates the most commentary.

There's a difference between a controversial article and a poorly written article. If the first article was controversial, edgy, and sparked some sort of heated discussion, I'd absolutely agree. However, it's just a list of spells and a tiny little attempt by the author to defend herself against a stranger. You'll typically find that people are much more vocal about things they dislike than things they like. In this case, the first article sucked, and everyone's pointing it out.

This is why I scrapped the article I had written, and am either going to change topics or re-write. It didn't convey what I was trying to convey, and it was too much information people probably already knew.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

One particularly interesting re-occurring facet of this conversation is the price or cost effectiveness of spells. I must say that I disagree with the emphasis placed on cost by Requiem1160, the author of the first article for several reasons. In my opinion, the cost of a combat spell is almost irrelevant. This is due to the specialized nature of common usage of said combat spells. For the most part in practical applications, combat spells are used relatively few times-- in a typical game of Castle Wars, one might expect to cast anywhere from 100 to 500 casts of their chosen combat spell, while in a PvP situation far fewer casts are used. For the most part, usage of combat magic is limited to these situations (and maybe a few others)1 for several simple reasons. Primarily, combat spells are an inefficient way of gaining Magic xp, as the xp gained per cost per unit time is inferior to other methods, regardless of the cost of the combat spell itself. Secondarily, combat spells are (for the most part) inefficient at dealing damage,2 making other combat styles the way to go. So, therefore, as combat magic is rarely used in situations where massive quantities of spells are cast, cost is rendered almost totally irrelevant, and should therefore not play an important role in the author's "second-rate-or-not" value judgement.

1. I exclude other minigame activities where combat magic is used (such as Stealing Creation and Fist of Guthix) because the "cost" of spells becomes almost totally irrelevant in these situations.

2. One exception to this is the almost mandated practice of maging Dagannoth Rex, as he is almost invulnerable to the other combat styles. To an extent, Ice Strikewyrms can also be considered in this category. In these cases, cost does matter, as on a typical DK maging trip one can expect to use well over 1.5k casts of Claws of Guthix or Fire Surge.

Orc-- Proud member of the Tal Shiar Alliance

It's more than likely that the person insulting you was referring to your skills rather than your spellbook. Alternatively it was just some idiot who wanted to flame someone and should be ignored for that exact reason.

It's definitely possible, but once again, I doubt very much it was my skills. For all she knew, I could've been 99 Mage and just using Water Surges cause I had a ToF handy. Also the fact that she referred to both I and Racheya as "Magers" also suggests that it was our spellbooks.

It could also be the latter, she could've been a flaming troll, but at least it gave me an idea for an article ^_^

WorldOfAVR_Part1_Avacyn_ajg5pfqs0fs.png

It's more than likely that the person insulting you was referring to your skills rather than your spellbook. Alternatively it was just some idiot who wanted to flame someone and should be ignored for that exact reason.

It's definitely possible, but once again, I doubt very much it was my skills. For all she knew, I could've been 99 Mage and just using Water Surges cause I had a ToF handy. Also the fact that she referred to both I and Racheya as "Magers" also suggests that it was our spellbooks.

It could also be the latter, she could've been a flaming troll, but at least it gave me an idea for an article ^_^

Or else you and racheya just have such a similar writing style...

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Mage protect halves the bind time of normal magic binds.

Your carrying around more types of runes.

Your wasting an attack turn on a bind.

Can't one click normal magic spells like you can ancient spells.

EDIT: This too.

It seemed as though the entire point was to defend yourself against some stranger who called you a noob, and you didn't even do that very well.

arcane_stew.png

Hypocrite. You tell others to be nice then attempt to murder people. Nice going, you just failed life.

2nd Article was nicer than 1st one, though both was impressive in its ways.

Yeah, like that zaryte bow

wait

recharge costs = ammo.

So, all melee weapons are overpowered, at least.

this combat triangle finally makes sense...