What language do you think in?

Socc

I think in English. On the topic of thinking - what language do deaf people think in?

Depends if they are deaf from birth or not

If not, and they have learned language->The language they have learned

If from birth->They think in images.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think in English. On the topic of thinking - what language do deaf people think in?

This begs the questions - Can a blind man see in his dreams? Can a deaf man hear in his dreams?

I think it's almost a fact that you think in the language of whatever you're typing/reading in. Or most recent language you've spoken/heard/read

This begs the questions - Can a blind man see in his dreams? Can a deaf man hear in his dreams?

No, because they don't even know what seeing or hearing is. (Assuming they were blind/deaf from birth. If not, it's been proven that they sometimes dream with images/audio)

Think of it this way: Try to explain what seeing is, to a blind man. (In detail, not just "A way to perceive depth and distance of objects).

No, because they don't even know what seeing or hearing is. (Assuming they were blind/deaf from birth. If not, it's been proven that they sometimes dream with images/audio)

Think of it this way: Try to explain what seeing is, to a blind man. (In detail, not just "A way to perceive depth and distance of objects).

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you don't use your eyes or ears while dreaming, you use your brain. Your eyes or ears may not function properly, but your brain may still be able to form images or sounds.

There's even that whole blind prophet archetype for this kind of thing.

To the philosophythreadmobile!

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure you don't use your eyes or ears while dreaming, you use your brain. Your eyes or ears may not function properly, but your brain may still be able to form images or sounds.

But if your brain has never heard a sound/seen an image, how can it repeat it in a dream?

But if your brain has never heard a sound/seen an image, how can it repeat it in a dream?

The real issue here is what you're all perceiving as a language barrier between a deaf person thinking or hearing, and a blind person visualizing. Blind people (assuming they're blind from birth) will have absolutely no perception of anything visual, because their brain has an undeveloped optic nerve. Deaf people (assuming they're deaf from birth) will simply experience language differently than as we perceive it (in thought). They'll think without words, but still get meaning.

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

The real issue here is what you're all perceiving as a language barrier between a deaf person thinking or hearing, and a blind person visualizing. Blind people (assuming they're blind from birth) will have absolutely no perception of anything visual, because their brain has an undeveloped optic nerve. Deaf people (assuming they're deaf from birth) will simply experience language differently than as we perceive it (in thought). They'll think without words, but still get meaning.

We know they can think, but we're trying to imagine what it'd be like to think if you can't hear a language, basically.

We know they can think, but we're trying to imagine what it'd be like to think if you can't hear a language, basically.

Meaning without pronunciation of words.

So, basically Earthysun is Jesus's only son.

earthysig3.jpg

earthynorris.jpg

awwwwuo6.jpg

wootsiggiedagainhw5.jpg

algftw.jpg

Meaning without pronunciation of words.

Yes. Sort of like how animals can think, but they know absolutely no language. (Warning shouts, mating calls ect don't count).

Obviously thoughts in humans would be much more advanced, though.

I wonder if there have been instances where people dream or think in languages that they actually don't know?

I only speak English (I do remember a handful of words and all my numbers/letters in Spanish) but what if I woke up one day and in my dream I had been speaking fluent French? But I suppose in my dream if I were fluent in French, I wouldn't actually recognize that I was speaking in French, since it would sort of auto-translate in my dream-self's brain?

...or something...

?

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

I wonder if there have been instances where people dream or think in languages that they actually don't know?

I only speak English (I do remember a handful of words and all my numbers/letters in Spanish) but what if I woke up one day and in my dream I had been speaking fluent French? But I suppose in my dream if I were fluent in French, I wouldn't actually recognize that I was speaking in French, since it would sort of auto-translate in my dream-self's brain?

...or something...

?

I believe you would only think that you're thinking in fluent French, but actually thinking in gibberish that you perceive as French. Since the critical parts (the thinking parts) of the brain is usually shut down during sleep, I doubt you can actually recognize yourself speaking a language you don't actually know.

...or something...

?

I believe you would only think that you're thinking in fluent French, but actually thinking in gibberish that you perceive as French. Since the critical parts (the thinking parts) of the brain is usually shut down during sleep, I doubt you can actually recognize yourself speaking a language you don't actually know.

How could you imagine a language you don't know? Your brain draws from your experiences, you couldn't magically know how to speak a language just because you were asleep.

...or something...

?

How could you imagine a language you don't know? Your brain draws from your experiences, you couldn't magically know how to speak a language just because you were asleep.

Why are you asking me? It's Serpent Eye that asked the question. I think you'd either use the bits that you picked up from experiences, or just perceive gibberish as whatever language you imagine yourself thinking in.

...or something...

?

Why are you asking me? It's Serpent Eye that asked the question. I think you'd either use the bits that you picked up from experiences, or just perceive gibberish as whatever language you imagine yourself thinking in.

I was asking SerpentEye, I just clicked reply on your post because it was the same discussion.

I was asking SerpentEye, I just clicked reply on your post because it was the same discussion.

Well, I don't know. I did just say I was only wondering. :-w

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png