Favorite quotes, expressions or sayings.

Guest Rob

In a rather ironic turn of events, Sedgwick fell at the beginning of the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House, on May 9, 1864. His corps was probing skirmish lines ahead of the left flank of Confederate defenses and he was directing artillery placements. Confederate sharpshooters were about 1,000 yards (910 m) away and their shots caused members of his staff and artillerymen to duck for cover. Sedgwick strode around in the open and was quoted as saying, "What? Men dodging this way for single bullets? What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Although ashamed, his men continued to flinch and he repeated, "I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."[3] Just seconds later he fell forward with a bullet hole below his left eye.[4]

Sedgwick was the highest ranking Union casualty in the Civil War. Although James B. McPherson was in command of an army at the time of his death and Sedgwick of a corps, Sedgwick had the most senior rank by date of all major generals killed. Upon hearing of his death, Lt. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, flabbergasted by the news, repeatedly asked, "Is he really dead?"[5]

"You got to be careful if you don’t know where you’re going, because you might not get there."

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I am not frightened of dying. Any time will do; I don't mind.

Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for ityou've gotta go sometime.

Pink Floyd in The Great Gig in the Sky

Any colour you like, as long as it's black.

i don't know who said this one, but i love it.

After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

This last 2 by Nietzsche

Inb4 Lenin and his Warhammer 40k quotes :grin:

"There is no innocence, only varying degrees of guilt."

"Success is commemorated,failure merely remembered"

And my favorite:

"Death before dishonor"

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif