Tip.It Times - 29th August 2010

Racheya

Rares, what are really rare? It's all in our eyes and perception. I suppose good drops are appreciated, but there's no need to shout and scream? Afterall, getting a good loot doesn't mean you would preserve it well.

I have to agree with you. To a player like me, who doesn't use the Exchange, but kills hundreds of monsters to get a special drop, pretty much everything is super-rare. But to players who make money through trading/Skills, items are more readily available to them. It's all about how you play.

Second article used a lot of words to say a little, or in my opinion nothing. What, you shouldn't lie, but people do? Seriously?

As for the first, well I'm of the opinion that P-mods should be gotten rid of entirely, and thus am somewhat agreeing with MS, but still, their "talk over" ability is really quite minor. In actuality, besides the respect and "prestige" of being a P-mod, the voice over is about the only useful benefit a mod gets lol.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

2nd article: Well written article, and quite glib, which was very refreshing. There are so many logical, intelligently written articles out there that it feels sublime to not have to think so hard!

What do you have to gain at the cost of lies? Well, I think back to an old friend of a friend I had who made a female character and cleaned out all those poor souls who thought they were playing boyfriend/girlfriend. So, actually there was a quite a lot to be gained from lies I suppose, which would mean there's very little importance in being earnest, or jack for that matter. What are the costs of lies? You would lose all that hard earned loot and reputation if someone were to actually discover your lie. So, maybe there is some importance in being earnest, because even if you're lying, it is crucial to maintain the appearance of being earnest.

rssig2.png

The original concept of player moderators was brilliant, I believe in classic there were a few, though they didn't have the silver crown next to their names. This is how it should've stayed when Jagex created RuneScape 2. The crown only gives them a feeling of superiority which they should not have (I'm also against the coloured post f-mods have on the forums). Some of the older player moderators are the best ones, they didn't become mods by sucking up to Jagex through the forums or clan chats, they did the hard yards and were picked from the quality of their reports and various other factors.

Many of the recent mods are the ones that stand in Lumbridge silently reporting players and being fangirls in the Jagex Lite forum. Here are some images which I have taken in the last two years of various player moderators and their lack of maturity and professionalism. (Note: the first image was not taken by me, I got it off my clan forums)

playermodspam.png

This one is especially interesting, I was fishing in Barbarian Village when this person came a long and said "gramer", when I corrected her I thought it would be funny to take a picture. A month later I saw the same person in a clan chat as a player mod.

failr.png

loldw.png

This one is the worst I've witnessed, the player he/she muted was just saying "[bleep] get your free raws plz" over and over again...

sdfbl.png

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

I got 17 armadyl hilts in a row, coinshared.

So lol @ u

Oh yeah?? well i killed the Dragon Dragon 3 times, and it dropped 5 phat sets for me. So there!

About mods, I know a good one, and I unfortunately have seen several bad ones. The one that sticks in my memory is a mod I saw at dust devils, heavily involved in a bicker fight about kill stealing at dust devils in the chaos tunnels. The type of fight that runs like this:

"I was here first."

"no, i was"

"dude, just find a new world"

"why dont you hop noob"

"because i have been here for a while"

"well, if you don't like me here, then leave or [expletive deleted]"

And so on and so forth. For like 40 minutes. I could not believe it. Thankfully, I finished my task and left.

@ sw0rd95,

Jagex endorsed 06/06/06? No Thank You. Far to much power for one person.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men." - Lord Acton, 1887

pere_grin.png

On the point of slayer mods...that has to be the worst Idea ever. As said, someone can be the nicest, modest, friendliest, most helpful, whatever person. You can not predict how they are going to be corrupted by power.

And the worst of it: If one, only one of these "slayer mods" abuses his powers, the confidence into player mods will be gone for most players, down to zero, effictively killing the whole system.

Heck, probably there will be players who run away in fear of the mod killing them, even if they have done nothing wrong. And that probably will even be a wise decision...

I think it would be brilliant for jagex to have enough power to make everyone run in fear, less people would bot for fear of massacre and imprisonment. Nobody would break the rules in the presence of one. What I would really love, is for there to be a slayer mod with a scrying pool in their player owned house so they can watch over runescape and enforce the rules while being undetected.

Here's a fictional scenario where slayer mods are the best solution:

Player 1: Selling account

Player 2: I'll buy it

Player 3: No I'll buy it

Players 4, 5, 6 and 7: Selling/buying accounts are against the rules

Then, the slayer moderator, who is looking through their scrying pool sees the situation.

Suddenly Players 1, 2 and 3 are 1 hit killed by no apparent person and are locked up for several days until the report the slayer mod sent to jagex is read, and decided to be true or false.

Players 4, 5, 6 and 7 don't even consider breaking the rules, under any circumstances or at any location ever from that point onwards.

Problem solved. :)

That is the most asinine suggestion I have EVER heard, and I've heard some pretty dumb ass suggestions.

Locked up for several days UNTIL decided if guilty or not? That would be enough to get me to switch to WoW.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I think it would be brilliant for jagex to have enough power to make everyone run in fear, less people would bot for fear of massacre and imprisonment. Nobody would break the rules in the presence of one. What I would really love, is for there to be a slayer mod with a scrying pool in their player owned house so they can watch over runescape and enforce the rules while being undetected.

Then, the slayer moderator, who is looking through their scrying pool sees the situation.

Suddenly Players 1, 2 and 3 are 1 hit killed by no apparent person and are locked up for several days until the report the slayer mod sent to jagex is read, and decided to be true or false.

Players 4, 5, 6 and 7 don't even consider breaking the rules, under any circumstances or at any location ever from that point onwards.

Sure. If Jagex never wants people to ever pay for accounts again because people are paranoid that their money would be wasted.

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

That is the most asinine suggestion I have EVER heard, and I've heard some pretty dumb ass suggestions.

Locked up for several days UNTIL decided if guilty or not? That would be enough to get me to switch to WoW.

+1 to this. Slayer Moderators? Sounds more like a concept every player should have... moderating Slayer masters. Kuradal, you gave me alternating Kalphites and Greater Demons? Abyssal Demons for the next 10 tasks or you're permabanned =P

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

Hi all, I am new to this forum, but I would like to say a few words about the first article and the feedbacks.

Starting my first acc in 2003, I have been playing RuneScape for 7 years, while I've continued to open new accs for fun. However, last year, one of my pures was invited to be a Player Moderator instead of my "Main". Being a Player Moderator for a year, I would like to share a slice of my "life" here as a response to the article and the feedbacks.

I admit that the process of choosing a Mod was indeed "More like, picked and chosen" as stated by Silvertaler. It's strange that I have been playing my first acc since the year of 2003, with my Mod acc since the year of 2006, the latter was picked as a Moderator. There's nearly no differences in dealing with others when I was playing either acc (though I had committed the rule of offensive language when I was new to Runescape several times), and like most of the other mods, I was wondering how I become one actually.

(to be continued...)

Re: 'A Change in Times, A Shift in Policy?'

To be entirely honest....the chat override is something that many of the earliest pmods never wanted, nor do many of the current ones.

The simple explaination, however, is this: The programming for the crowns, whether gold or silver, is complicated and inextricably intertwined.

While there ARE indeed times where it is necessary for Jmods to have all the abilities they have, the same almost never applies to player moderators. They are, at the end of the day, mere volunteers and not paid staff.

However, the simple fact is that the programming is there. The effort required to remove the chat override from silver crowns and not from the gold ones is considerable...and simply not a great priority.

Jagex is, after all, a company. All companies have to weigh the costs of any project before they invest in it. If the cost of a project far outweighs its usefullness, the chances remain slim that the project will ever see the light of day.

The bottom line is that the cost of reprogramming silver crowns to not override chat options while leaving that ability intact for gold crowns just isn't worth of it.

The long and short of it is....deal with it. Jagex aren't likely to spend the time and effort to "fix" something they don't see as "broken" =\

And personally....I can think of plenty of other more productive uses of programmers' time and effort.

-EvilBunnieLady

yeah sure....

what if player 3 actually meant the cut rubis player 8 sells? He gets locked up for no reason?

What if one, only one slayer mod, is pissed on one, just one day and vents his anger on helpless other players?

I'll tell you, player numbers would decrease dramatically, either out of protest or out of fear(of your money being wasted)

apart from that your idea isn't even right. You base the whole thing off the assumption that nobody will break rules anymore in awe of slayer mods. But: If you choose only the best ones here(and you musn't choose any others, it's enough risk already) than you never have enough mods to watch everybody, and some of the offences(like botting) need more than one glance. This means a lot of players will get through with rule-breaking still, and therefore will continue with it.

yeah sure....

what if player 3 actually meant the cut rubis player 8 sells? He gets locked up for no reason?

What if one, only one slayer mod, is pissed on one, just one day and vents his anger on helpless other players?

I'll tell you, player numbers would decrease dramatically, either out of protest or out of fear(of your money being wasted)

apart from that your idea isn't even right. You base the whole thing off the assumption that nobody will break rules anymore in awe of slayer mods. But: If you choose only the best ones here(and you musn't choose any others, it's enough risk already) than you never have enough mods to watch everybody, and some of the offences(like botting) need more than one glance. This means a lot of players will get through with rule-breaking still, and therefore will continue with it.

I would work very hard to become a moderator. I would be the picture of perfection. And when I gained the ability to kill people, I would camp sw0rd's spawn and kill him over and over. Problem solved :D

pere_grin.png

Seems like a good solution to the first problem would be for both p and j mods to have the option to turn their 'cut through chat filter' option on or off. This way when they're just having normal conversations with friends or selling items at the GE they can turn it off and not annoy anyone. When they are acting as a mod, policing or organizing community events, they can turn it on and it will have its intended purpose. If they abuse this option, eg using it to spam their clan ads or items for sale, they can be sanctioned in the same way as if they abused their other powers.

About full ignore lists: Do they really need to stay full? Usually I empty my ignore list every few days, and rarely have to add the same people back to it.

And about the second article: Another place this frequently happens is the party room. You can pretty much guarantee that the one most valuable item in the chest in multi million gp drops will be claimed to have been gotten by at least 5 people