Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Philosophy, Riddles and complete mind[bleep]s

• Please log in to reply
689 replies to this topic

Guest_Rob_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_Rob_
  • Guests

This thread has all but been abandoned. I almost remade it but I will just bring back the original.

Here is one I would like answered.

Ship of Theseus Riddle:
Information from Wikipedia

Greek legend
According to Greek legend as reported by Plutarch,
The ship wherein Theseus and the youth of Athens returned [from Crete] had thirty oars, and was preserved by the Athenians down even to the time of Demetrius Phalereus, for they took away the old planks as they decayed, putting in new and stronger timber in their place, insomuch that this ship became a standing example among the philosophers, for the logical question of things that grow; one side holding that the ship remained the same, and the other contending that it was not the same.
—Plutarch, Theseus

Plutarch thus questions whether the ship would remain the same if it were entirely replaced, piece by piece. Centuries later, the philosopher Thomas Hobbes introduced a further puzzle, wondering: what would happen if the original planks were gathered up after they were replaced, and used to build a second ship. Which ship, if either, is the original Ship of Theseus?

The one made of new planks is the real ship. It was at one time the real ship and it will continue to be.

I agree with this. If you replace one plank, it's still the original ship. if you replace 2 planks, it's still the original ship. I don't think this would ever stop.

TTanT
[ Display Name History ]

TTanT

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,041 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
So udner the same logic, if I slwoly replaced small bits of your body with another person's body to keep your body running, would you still be you, even after your entire body had been replaced?

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

Tifers say the darndest things

Guest_Rob_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_Rob_
  • Guests

So udner the same logic, if I slwoly replaced small bits of your body with another person's body to keep your body running, would you still be you, even after your entire body had been replaced?

Until you replace the brain, it would be. But the brain really is the only thing that is "me". So, once you replace the one part that is no longer "me", then it's not me.

TTanT
[ Display Name History ]

TTanT

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,041 posts

Until you replace the brain, it would be. But the brain really is the only thing that is "me". So, once you replace the one part that is no longer "me", then it's not me.

So what makes a specific ship that specific ship? What part of it, once replaced, would change what it was?

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

Tifers say the darndest things

Guest_Rob_
[ Display Name History ]

Guest_Rob_
  • Guests

So what makes a specific ship that specific ship? What part of it, once replaced, would change what it was?

There is none, which is why I think the one with the new parts would be the original still.

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,475 posts

This question really depends if you believe in a soul or not.

If you dont, then no replacing every bit of your body until there is no original left would make it different.

If you believe in a soul it would remain the same.

With the ship, its the same, if you believe it is the same when no original bits of it remain you believe that the soul of the ship is what makes it what it is [in this case the soul of the ship is the shape that the pieces meld together to make], but not the pieces.

If you dont think the ship would be the same, you believe that the materials that make up the ship are what make it what it is, not a "soul" of a ship

Your welcome to disagree with me but when I posted that I was curious if anyone would jump to ask what if it was a human instead of a ship, and what makes a human different then a ship if the answer is different.

I think that if you answer that they remain the same regardless of the materials that make them you believe in a soul of something, if you dont think so then it likely means you dont believe in a soul [again you are welcome to disagree with this].

Lenin64
[ Display Name History ]

Lenin64

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,249 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

This question really depends if you believe in a soul or not.

If you dont, then no replacing every bit of your body until there is no original left would make it different.

If you believe in a soul it would remain the same.

With the ship, its the same, if you believe it is the same when no original bits of it remain you believe that the soul of the ship is what makes it what it is [in this case the soul of the ship is the shape that the pieces meld together to make], but not the pieces.

If you dont think the ship would be the same, you believe that the materials that make up the ship are what make it what it is, not a "soul" of a ship

Your welcome to disagree with me but when I posted that I was curious if anyone would jump to ask what if it was a human instead of a ship, and what makes a human different then a ship if the answer is different.

I think that if you answer that they remain the same regardless of the materials that make them you believe in a soul of something, if you dont think so then it likely means you dont believe in a soul [again you are welcome to disagree with this].

It's all dependent on the ship's Machine Spirit obviously, and any attempts to dismantle it require much prayer to the Omnissiah and can only be done by a tech adept anyhow.
Posted Image
Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!
Posted Image

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
This thread makes me all nostalgic. Although this seems relatively off-topic, could you guys think of any reasons to debunk the most commonly cited superpowers which comic books love to use and abuse.

Lenin64
[ Display Name History ]

Lenin64

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,249 posts
I disagree when he says if you hit someone across the room, you will fly across the room. I mean, a car doesn't fly away when it hits a cat. And the mass ratio would probably be similar if you had enough muscle to punch someone across the room, but that just opens up a whole bunch of other problems (Skeletal strength and the like- see explanations of why King Kong cannot be the size he is).
Posted Image
Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!
Posted Image

nine naked men
[ Display Name History ]

nine naked men

Chief Beef

• Members
  • 5,556 posts
All superpowers can work because magic.
FBqTDdL.jpg
sleep like dead men
wake up like dead men