Philosophy, Riddles and complete mind[bleep]s

Sam

Nihilism makes sense. Though, if you say nothing exists then you are already saying that "nothing" exists. Therefore at least "nothing" exists, even if it is of absolute no value or purpose. If matter and space came from nothing, then that nothing must of been at least... there is no proper word for it, it must of at least been somehow "aware" of itself. Then somehow out of itself manifestations formed and eventually our brains formed to perceive that "nothing" as something. Basically, everything is made out of "nothing", it just seems like something to the brain, which itself was formed out of nothing. Yea.. it might be tough to grasp :P

That is Buddhism not Nihilism.

A Nihilist is closer to an athiest then a Buddhist.

Buddhists are atheists...

Yes but it really comes down to how they live their life, a Buddhist would be dispassionate like a Jedi or something while an Atheist might still desire a permanent universe, system of government, etc.

I guess the main difference between the two is a Buddhist understands there is nothing and an atheist may say there isnt eternal life but may say something still is eternal.

A Nihilist may have a similar belief but how they live is closer to an atheist then a Buddhist

Ah yes, that's why I became attracted to certain teachings that can be considered Buddhist. More experiencing what I "believed", rather than just talking about it.

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

This thread has all but been abandoned. I almost remade it but I will just bring back the original.

Here is one I would like answered.

Ship of Theseus Riddle:

Information from Wikipedia

Greek legend

According to Greek legend as reported by Plutarch,

The ship wherein Theseus and the youth of Athens returned [from Crete] had thirty oars, and was preserved by the Athenians down even to the time of Demetrius Phalereus, for they took away the old planks as they decayed, putting in new and stronger timber in their place, insomuch that this ship became a standing example among the philosophers, for the logical question of things that grow; one side holding that the ship remained the same, and the other contending that it was not the same.

Plutarch, Theseus

Plutarch thus questions whether the ship would remain the same if it were entirely replaced, piece by piece. Centuries later, the philosopher Thomas Hobbes introduced a further puzzle, wondering: what would happen if the original planks were gathered up after they were replaced, and used to build a second ship. Which ship, if either, is the original Ship of Theseus?

The one made of new planks is the real ship. It was at one time the real ship and it will continue to be.

Nihilism makes sense. Though, if you say nothing exists then you are already saying that "nothing" exists. Therefore at least "nothing" exists, even if it is of absolute no value or purpose. If matter and space came from nothing, then that nothing must of been at least... there is no proper word for it, it must of at least been somehow "aware" of itself. Then somehow out of itself manifestations formed and eventually our brains formed to perceive that "nothing" as something. Basically, everything is made out of "nothing", it just seems like something to the brain, which itself was formed out of nothing. Yea.. it might be tough to grasp :P

That is Buddhism not Nihilism.

A Nihilist is closer to an athiest then a Buddhist.

Buddhists are atheists...

Yes but it really comes down to how they live their life, a Buddhist would be dispassionate like a Jedi or something while an Atheist might still desire a permanent universe, system of government, etc.

I guess the main difference between the two is a Buddhist understands there is nothing and an atheist may say there isnt eternal life but may say something still is eternal.

A Nihilist may have a similar belief but how they live is closer to an atheist then a Buddhist

An atheist is a person who does not believe in a god or gods. Other than that, an atheist can think/believe/talk about anything. An atheist can be a communist, democrat, republican, anarchist, whatever. The only thing that atheism is is a disbelief of god. Talking about "atheists' desires" for a permanent universe or government system is totally silly.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Guest Rob

This thread has all but been abandoned. I almost remade it but I will just bring back the original.

Here is one I would like answered.

Ship of Theseus Riddle:

Information from Wikipedia

Greek legend

According to Greek legend as reported by Plutarch,

The ship wherein Theseus and the youth of Athens returned [from Crete] had thirty oars, and was preserved by the Athenians down even to the time of Demetrius Phalereus, for they took away the old planks as they decayed, putting in new and stronger timber in their place, insomuch that this ship became a standing example among the philosophers, for the logical question of things that grow; one side holding that the ship remained the same, and the other contending that it was not the same.

Plutarch, Theseus

Plutarch thus questions whether the ship would remain the same if it were entirely replaced, piece by piece. Centuries later, the philosopher Thomas Hobbes introduced a further puzzle, wondering: what would happen if the original planks were gathered up after they were replaced, and used to build a second ship. Which ship, if either, is the original Ship of Theseus?

The one made of new planks is the real ship. It was at one time the real ship and it will continue to be.

I agree with this. If you replace one plank, it's still the original ship. if you replace 2 planks, it's still the original ship. I don't think this would ever stop.

So udner the same logic, if I slwoly replaced small bits of your body with another person's body to keep your body running, would you still be you, even after your entire body had been replaced?

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Guest Rob

So udner the same logic, if I slwoly replaced small bits of your body with another person's body to keep your body running, would you still be you, even after your entire body had been replaced?

Until you replace the brain, it would be. But the brain really is the only thing that is "me". So, once you replace the one part that is no longer "me", then it's not me.

Until you replace the brain, it would be. But the brain really is the only thing that is "me". So, once you replace the one part that is no longer "me", then it's not me.

So what makes a specific ship that specific ship? What part of it, once replaced, would change what it was?

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Guest Rob

So what makes a specific ship that specific ship? What part of it, once replaced, would change what it was?

There is none, which is why I think the one with the new parts would be the original still.

This question really depends if you believe in a soul or not.

If you dont, then no replacing every bit of your body until there is no original left would make it different.

If you believe in a soul it would remain the same.

With the ship, its the same, if you believe it is the same when no original bits of it remain you believe that the soul of the ship is what makes it what it is [in this case the soul of the ship is the shape that the pieces meld together to make], but not the pieces.

If you dont think the ship would be the same, you believe that the materials that make up the ship are what make it what it is, not a "soul" of a ship

Your welcome to disagree with me but when I posted that I was curious if anyone would jump to ask what if it was a human instead of a ship, and what makes a human different then a ship if the answer is different.

I think that if you answer that they remain the same regardless of the materials that make them you believe in a soul of something, if you dont think so then it likely means you dont believe in a soul [again you are welcome to disagree with this].

It's all dependent on the ship's Machine Spirit obviously, and any attempts to dismantle it require much prayer to the Omnissiah and can only be done by a tech adept anyhow.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

• 4 months later...

I disagree when he says if you hit someone across the room, you will fly across the room. I mean, a car doesn't fly away when it hits a cat. And the mass ratio would probably be similar if you had enough muscle to punch someone across the room, but that just opens up a whole bunch of other problems (Skeletal strength and the like- see explanations of why King Kong cannot be the size he is).

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif