Big Brother Is Watching

JumpinJax

I spent my Thursday night at the grand exchange, preparing for the bonus experience weekend. It's rare that I play at all these days, but something about receiving extra experience makes me feel that excitement I once felt when I first logged onto Runescape. As I was sitting there, some individual was standing right beside me saying "I made a bot that works great on Runescape, Email me your password and I'll install it for you." Obviously, that wasn't word for word, but I feel like my ability to re-quote is usually right 60 percent of the time, every time. But anyway, after listening to this guy blabber for a good 15 minutes, I responded by saying, "Give me your password and I'll scam you!". On obvious sarcastic statement that was meant to shut him up.

The next day I log on to enjoy some bonus experience, and begin to attempt to engage in some dialogue with a few of my closest friends. Well, actually, I don't have any friends, but I often like to entertain myself by typing some lyrics to the song I listen to while I train. Well right after I get done typing "When I was younger so much younger than today," and begin to send out my song to the world, I get a message saying I have been muted for 14 days. In my disbelief, I figure out how to find the appeal forums, and sure enough "Give me your password and I'll scam you" turned my character into a deaf mute for 14 days. Believing that was ridiculous, I wrote my appeal explaining that I was simply getting someone to leave me alone. I also noted that was obvious sarcasm, and "give me your password and I'll scam you" has to be the worst attempted scam of all time.

Well, apparently enough people in Jagex are working to go over every single sentence ever reported. Also apparent, whoever reads the appeals don't have the decency to reply to anything I said. I was graced this morning with a non-formal reply about my appeal being denied. Because I have been playing Runescape for far too long, I instantly remembered one of the worst updates in the history of Runescape. I have no idea what year this happened, but Jagex released a filter in the game, making it so you could only say certain words: game related words. For example, when one of my friends would try to say my name, "jacob" would turn into "bacon." Thus, the wonderful private message, "How are you doing today Bacon?" The update caused an uproar. Rs was a much smaller community back then, and the person to person interaction was absolutely crucial in regards to the success of the game.

And now to make a long story short (too late),

I truly feel like the wonders of Runescape are being filtered. Freedom of speech is such a critical aspect in this game (with obvious restrictions,) and If I'm not allowed to be sarcastic, then I feel like a robot typing. With every other part of this game being a virtual world, the character interaction between people is the one thing that is real. Having big brother take over this game, 1984 style, needs to have it's limits, and I absolutely feel the line has been crossed from realistic, to ridiculous.

...lawyered

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't really agree with what you're saying I'm afraid.

On RuneScape there are still many people who try to scam other players; It happens everywhere and is especially noticeable on Free to Play worlds. Jagex don't know in what context you said what you did, or what followed in the conversation over 60 seconds before that. You did in essence ask for his password, how you worded it was most likely only something you understood right off the bat.

Regarding the filter and "Free speech", Jagex can't let you do and say what you want. People don't need to say things that are going to be filtered; generally the filtered text is the unnecessary words that people use or the offensive text. This game has people from the age of 13 and up who can read all text; therefore Jagex have to place some filters. An unfiltered version would have to be 18+.

Sorry to hear that you've been muted, anyway. It's really not pleasant.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I think the main problem is the appeal system and jagex not doing enough to improve it.

I dont think any jagex staff would honestly not unmute you if they had more time on the appeal. Such as reading it to begin with.

Be nice if they became more honest (aka stop lying) about how great it is. Obviously its never going to be sorted out due to that.

Btw remember these forums are like A**** platinum alliance with jagex co. So to some people that could make automatic assumptions about what a fan site has to give up for such a honourable reward. Etc Etc. But yeh I think its a problem with the appeal system more than anything.

Skim reading what you wrote ingame would be somewhat unclear for a mod but after reading your appeal it becomes alot more logical to side on your side. Worse comes to worse they could unmute you will a warning telling you that you should not word your sentence that way because you said you would scam someone. That they understood from that context that its quite obvious to anyone who reads it that it was sarcasm in this specific situation however next time you would be muted if you did it again.

If you are understaffed or the system isnt adequate enough to deal with such an event then it needs improving asap.

I suggest speaking to people outside of the game. I barely use the ingame chat anymore because its rubbish anyway lol. I also dont because of such incidents like you described. I only got one 'mod' friend I trust to speak to normally in private as I would in real life. Including swearing and adult mature discussions. (I known them since the beginining of rs2 and before they were a mod.) I cant do that with many people ingame as I have been playing too long to risk my account. Its sad but true.

I strongly advice you avoid all sarcasm btw. Even though this is both a childrens and an adults game its considered a booboo and not allowed. :rolleyes: (Invisible jagex rule possibly.)

Watch what you say in-game so that it doesn't go out of context to being offensive/scamming, ect and you will have no problems. I haven't had a problem with the system other than a moderator muting me for arguing with him, which was later reversed overnight. The other option is finding a decent clan chat that you enjoy and know most of the people in it, and turn chat to off.

Low_C.png

I don't really agree with any form of filter whatsoever. In the gaming industry I can't personally say I know any one of my friends who's parents/ parents who's kids actually pay attention to the suggested playing age on the box. If there's going to be a filter I feel it needs to be optional, similar to WoW and other games. People need to take responsibility for their own actions, and if they're easily offended or dumb enough to get their account stolen, then they probably should of left the filter on. At least Jagex can say it was there, without interfering with other people's gaming experience. Maybe a quest that rewards the removal of the chat filter, or something that takes effort to achieve.

Filter or not people are going to scam, there's really no point in it being required.

IrreIephant.png

|Msg me me in-game | IrreIephant|

^ capital i

I got muted for 3 days back in 06 for saying "Buying real RS gold for real RS gold." I basically got muted for saying "Trade me 100 gp and I'll trade you 100 gp." Jagex never reads the evidence nor the appeals.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

I can't really agree with what you're saying I'm afraid.

On RuneScape there are still many people who try to scam other players; It happens everywhere and is especially noticeable on Free to Play worlds. Jagex don't know in what context you said what you did, or what followed in the conversation over 60 seconds before that. You did in essence ask for his password, how you worded it was most likely only something you understood right off the bat.

Regarding the filter and "Free speech", Jagex can't let you do and say what you want. People don't need to say things that are going to be filtered; generally the filtered text is the unnecessary words that people use or the offensive text. This game has people from the age of 13 and up who can read all text; therefore Jagex have to place some filters. An unfiltered version would have to be 18+.

Sorry to hear that you've been muted, anyway. It's really not pleasant.

I don't think anyone with at least half a brain can possibly interpret "give me your password and I'll scam you" as anything but a joke. I can't imagine any context in which that remark can be taken seriously.

Some individual was standing right beside me saying "I made a bot that works great on Runescape, Email me your password and I'll install it for you." After listening to this guy blabber for a good 15 minutes, I responded by saying, "Give me your password and I'll scam you!".

I get a message saying I have been muted for 14 days.

What did you expect? You made two pretty obvious mistakes:

1) Listened to a babbling simpleton for 15 minutes

2) Used the words 'give me' and 'password' in the same sentence

If you had a shred of common sense, you would have placed the person on your ignore list, reported him, and gotten on with your life. Why anyone would endure 15 minutes of idiocy is beyond me. And what makes you think Jagex can understand sarcasm? This "individual" wasn't out for your account; he was out to get you banned, and he almost succeeded. You should be glad that Jagex is so desperate for your $5 a month that they only muted you.

All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)

Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs

Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

I once got muted for sarcastically claiming my main was a Jagex Mod after some guy claimed his name was Zezima. Reported by some [puncture] on the opposite team of CLW who's gotta be a wanna-be mod or something. Got something up his BLEEP and had nothing better to do.

Frankly, I was annoyed at the guy who reported such an obvious, sarcastic comment, especially since it WASN'T the guy I was talking to. (Who, incidentally, was on the same side as the guy who reported me.)

14 days though? That's harsh. Mine was 24hours.

As for swearing and stuff, I find the best answer is to just spell it correctly. Not sure why people need to swear anyways - I can easily remove it from my regular vocabulary if I want. Depends on who I'm with. I have to say, I do enjoy RS conversations with say my clan, or just random people to pass the time whilst skilling.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I don't think they're watching you, going over every sentence, I'd imagine that they apply a general filter to the chat to sieve out people doing this kind of thing and unfortunately you were caught in the net. There's also the chance that someone by mistake reported you assuming you were the actual culprit.

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Some individual was standing right beside me saying "I made a bot that works great on Runescape, Email me your password and I'll install it for you." After listening to this guy blabber for a good 15 minutes, I responded by saying, "Give me your password and I'll scam you!".

If you had a shred of common sense, you would have placed the person on your ignore list, reported him, and gotten on with your life. Why anyone would endure 15 minutes of idiocy is beyond me. And what makes you think Jagex can understand sarcasm? This "individual" wasn't out for your account; he was out to get you banned, and he almost succeeded. You should be glad that Jagex is so desperate for your $5 a month that they only muted you.

I feel like your proving my point. Here, let me make a list like you did:

1) Putting someone on ignore and then reporting them is just not me. I'm not out to get anybody banned. People can be annoying and break rules, but I'm not the type of person to go out of my way to try to get someone banned.

2) The guy saying this was level 131. I believe his soul intention was to get himself banned, and it probably wasn't even the real person's character.

3) Is Jagex made up of a bunch of robots? If they have the whole conversation on file, do they not have the ability as human beings to assess what is happening, and use common sense?

4) If you, or Jagex, had a shred of common sense, you would have the knowledge to take what I said and realize I was simply shooing away the person bugging me.

once a player was

"selling free mems, 3k gp"

lulwut?

then i got muted.

dam.

ya know what i sayd, and this was seeing if he was just scaming acounts or gp, "do you want MY pass"

facepalmcv.jpg

man i love that pic, anyway.. the system is messed up, jagex simply does not have the manpower to deal with the shear number of reports being shoved in there face. i would love it if things changed and thay could have a 100+ squad of pure reporter filter people, even then i dont think thay would do much more then dent the messed-ness.

well, you can give jagex a few million $ to pay for a system upgrade, or you can just avoid saying stuff that will trip the computers alarm.

i know what one im doing.

if only jagex knew what we where doing.

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

1) Putting someone on ignore and then reporting them is just not me. I'm not out to get anybody banned. People can be annoying and break rules, but I'm not the type of person to go out of my way to try to get someone banned.

2) The guy saying this was level 131. I believe his soul intention was to get himself banned, and it probably wasn't even the real person's character.

3) Is Jagex made up of a bunch of robots? If they have the whole conversation on file, do they not have the ability as human beings to assess what is happening, and use common sense?

4) If you, or Jagex, had a shred of common sense, you would have the knowledge to take what I said and realize I was simply shooing away the person bugging me.

Are you joking? "Putting someone on ignore and then reporting them is just not me?" I understand why you may think the 131 may have been hacked (in that case, don't omit that information to make yourself seem like a gullible fool) but I see no conceivable reason why you wouldn't, at the very least, place the person on your ignore list at least temporarily. And you said you're not the type to go out of your way to get people banned? Going "out of your way" would be scouring the span of Runescape 24/7 to find botters and spammers and reporting them in hopes of becoming a p-mod. Reporting people who pretty much fall right into your lap is not "going out of your way."

Is Jagex made up of a bunch of robots? It's called skimming abuse reports, and looking for key words such as "password" and "give me," both of which you used. Believe it or not, Jagex values their time more than they care about muting a sarcastic kid who (unlike the 131) has problems with using the abuse report form.

Yes, I quoted that again because it proves you have nearly no common sense (here I am assuming you are not wearing your pants on your head.) If you believed the 131 was hacked, then what made you think "shooing him away" would actually work? As if someone 'ruthless' enough to hack a Runescape account would be nice enough to leave at your request. (And if the 131 wasn't being hacked, then he would be too thickheaded to respect such a request anyway) But remember, you wouldn't have had to shoo the person away had you just used the report form, or even the simple IGNORE LIST.

Enjoy your mute :thumbsup:

All skills 70+

[hide]

[/hide]

He's right tbh...you simply could have ignored him, instead you got involved, and now you pay for it.

The ignore list is a blessing, use it occasionally :thumbup:

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Are you joking? "Putting someone on ignore and then reporting them is just not me?" I understand why you may think the 131 may have been hacked (in that case, don't omit that information to make yourself seem like a gullible fool) but I see no conceivable reason why you wouldn't, at the very least, place the person on your ignore list at least temporarily. And you said you're not the type to go out of your way to get people banned? Going "out of your way" would be scouring the span of Runescape 24/7 to find botters and spammers and reporting them in hopes of becoming a p-mod. Reporting people who pretty much fall right into your lap is not "going out of your way."

Is Jagex made up of a bunch of robots? It's called skimming abuse reports, and looking for key words such as "password" and "give me," both of which you used. Believe it or not, Jagex values their time more than they care about muting a sarcastic kid who (unlike the 131) has problems with using the abuse report form.

Yes, I quoted that again because it proves you have nearly no common sense (here I am assuming you are not wearing your pants on your head.) If you believed the 131 was hacked, then what made you think "shooing him away" would actually work? As if someone 'ruthless' enough to hack a Runescape account would be nice enough to leave at your request. (And if the 131 wasn't being hacked, then he would be too thickheaded to respect such a request anyway) But remember, you wouldn't have had to shoo the person away had you just used the report form, or even the simple IGNORE LIST.

Enjoy your mute :thumbsup:

What makes me think he would go away? Well, if he scammed the last guy, he was probably trying to scam me too. So if I called his bluff, he would go away. Try to wrap your head around that for a second. You read a discussion about me saying there is a line that has been crossed in regards to player interaction. I don't cuss myself, nor do I think it should be allowed on the game. However, I feel that player interaction is the one thing that is real in an other wise fictional game. So your response to "put him on ignore, and report" is completely hypocritical to what I am saying. And if Jagex is only skimming to see "give me" and "password", what is the point to an appeal? Did they read what I had to say, or did they just skim a word or two. Seems kind of pointless. Anyway, enjoy reading posts and failing to find the points in them, you seem to have a real gift doing so. Lastly, I will enjoy my mute, and savor the fact that I won't have to have in game discussions with people like you.

If you had a shred of common sense, you would have placed the person on your ignore list and gotten on with your life.

He's right tbh...you simply could have ignored him, instead you got involved, and now you pay for it.

It's not just me who thinks you made a mistake, so if you won't listen to me or anyone else, who will you listen to?

What makes me think he would go away? Well, if he scammed the last guy, he was probably trying to scam me too. So if I called his bluff, he would go away. Try to wrap your head around that for a second.

To be honest, there's not much substance there for me to 'wrap my head around'. How long does it take to figure out calling his bluff isn't making him go away? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 15 minutes?! Why didn't you just PUT HIM ON IGNORE to begin with?! Would it have given you satisfaction if he had actually gone away?

You read a discussion about me saying there is a line that has been crossed in regards to player interaction. I don't cuss myself, nor do I think it should be allowed on the game. However, I feel that player interaction is the one thing that is real in an other wise fictional game. So your response to "put him on ignore, and report" is completely hypocritical to what I am saying.

I never curse (and am as morally adjusted as a line is straight), and also enjoy intellectual discussions. The key word here, you see, is intellectual. I usually try to avoid ignoramuses online (although sometimes not because I value a good debate). The question here is, do you really consider your 'conversation' with the hacker to be valuable 'player-to-player interaction'?

And if Jagex is only skimming to see "give me" and "password", what is the point to an appeal? Did they read what I had to say, or did they just skim a word or two.

They just skimmed a word or two. The point of an appeal is to offer an apology, otherwise your appeal will most likely fail. This is JAGEX we are talking about.

Seems kind of pointless.

Go cry about it

Anyway, enjoy reading posts and failing to find the points in them, you seem to have a real gift doing so.

Your post had about as much of a point as this pencil does:

2541pencil.jpg

Lastly, I will enjoy my mute, and savor the fact that I won't have to have in game discussions with people like you.

Seems to me like you would rather have in-game discussions with scamming hackers

All skills 70+

I feel for you... Jokes aren't allowed, even help is punished sometimes...

Personal experiences with mutes:

1) "Damn, went woodcutting and forgot to take my axe from bank!" REASON: 'damn'

2) Person in Edge bank asks why I'm not dressed in pink, like he is at that moment. My answer: "I'm not g@y ;-)"

3) Friend asking where I downloaded SwiftKit from. Other person stands next to us and reports me.

Oh well, I'll never get mod-status I guess. :grin: (unless when I'm eventually maxed, they seem to hand it out when you reach that, smart/helpful or not :roll: )

Of course, it seems obvious that you were being sarcastic, and it would be nice if Jagex recognized that. But at the same time, I don't think they should necessarily have to maintain the manpower required to sort through everyone who appeals using the Sarcasm Defense.

Bottom line, you didn't need to say it, so you probably shouldn't have. A 14 day mute isn't the end of the world and seems proportional to the offense. Hopefully you won't have any further run-ins and this will end up a minor annoyance in the long-run.

o_knames.png

Maxed total levels

Remaining for Completionist Cape: Livid Farm spell (Borrowed Power)

I'm not asking anyone for sympathy. I'm just remembering a time where people were allowed to speak, and others would take what they said and actually interpret it before they acted.

Of course, the game was always better than it was before now.

I remember people saying the same thing years ago. It's always struck me as "veteran" players reminding everyone that somehow they're better because they remember "the good old days". Personally, I think it reeks of elitism.

It probably isn't even that though. It looks much more like someone who was punished and would rather blame the system that punished him than think "hm, maybe I should be more careful".

I see where your coming from I got muted once when a low level freind asked me how people password scammed and I replyed "they'd say something like "look jagex blocks your password ********!"" Even in just that line its fairly obvious that Im not password scamming, this and several other similar incidents has led me to believe that jagex does not in fact read appeals or reports <_<

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I see where your coming from I got muted once when a low level freind asked me how people password scammed and I replyed "they'd say something like "look jagex blocks your password ********!"" Even in just that line its fairly obvious that Im not password scamming, this and several other similar incidents has led me to believe that jagex does not in fact read appeals or reports <_<

Remembers me of a RS-vid I once saw.

Person comes up to you and says: 'knock knock!'

You answer: 'Who is there?'

He says: 'Ray'

You answer: 'Ray who?'

He says: 'reported for asking personal information!'

:lol: