Big Brother Is Watching

JumpinJax

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Brother is watching.

But there's always clan chats and such. If you're in a non-public clan chat (meaning, one that isn't exactly well known and popular among players, unlike chats like "Dg elites", "world60pengs" "star hunt" etc), you rarely get reported.

I see where your coming from I got muted once when a low level freind asked me how people password scammed and I replyed "they'd say something like "look jagex blocks your password ********!"" Even in just that line its fairly obvious that Im not password scamming, this and several other similar incidents has led me to believe that jagex does not in fact read appeals or reports <_<

Remembers me of a RS-vid I once saw.

Person comes up to you and says: 'knock knock!'

You answer: 'Who is there?'

He says: 'Ray'

You answer: 'Ray who?'

He says: 'reported for asking personal information!'

:lol:

Heh, I've heard that one too :P

gg

Geeze man is it that time of the month for you? Is there a reason why you keep trying to argue with me? I will, however, respectfully bow out. I mean, you were the 116,912nd person to get 99 cooking, which makes you kind of a big deal. But really though, I don't think you've focused on what I was saying, and just read what you wanted to read. I'm just saying things aren't like they used to be.

And as for the guy who hinted i was an "elitist", man, its a video game. And even if it wasn't, if you liked this game before a certain update, and don't like the way the game is headed, your allowed to have an opinion. I still love Runescape, though I play it very rarely. However, there was a time you could have an argument with someone, without fear of getting reported. Likewise, there was a time when you could mock a scammer without getting reported. And what's the point of an appeal if they don't have the time to read them.

its impossible to overestimate how stupid and childish runescape player mods can be

As someone with posts about the topic that may number in the triple digits, I'd love to direct you to a thread where that's actually the main issue. As childish as they may be, reading the thread before posting is recommended in order to appear intelligent and mature.

its impossible to overestimate how stupid and childish runescape player mods can be

A player mod didn't mute him, a random player reported him, and Jagex muted him...

Why do some people think that when they get muted, and Player mod did it?

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

Can't really say this is Jagex's fault. You did make a joke about password scamming, if you take that out of context, it isn't an obvious joke. What they get is that out of context comment, not the conversations of everyone in that area.

Did you actually try that? Taking it out of context, I mean? Because it's an obvious joke, in or out of context, which is the silliest part. True, it's not wise to joke about things like this, but like I said before, anyone with half a brain can tell it's a joke, in or out of context. What the mounted Abyssal Demon says is more easily misconstrued as an actual scam than this is.

Sigh... people these days.

I actually don't even know why there's even a filter here anymore. The youngsters are the ones that use the profanity the most, not us.

We need freedom of speech, or even an "optional" filter. :thumbup:

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Sigh... people these days.

I actually don't even know why there's even a filter here anymore. The youngsters are the ones that use the profanity the most, not us.

We need freedom of speech, or even an "optional" filter. :thumbup:

Well, you either have one or another, not sort of both, it will create a huge gray area. Though most of those profanity comes from younger players, I seen some older players using it too (at least they using it in the PMs, and I know them for long time, but why do you need to use those swear words as adjectives is totally beyond me).

I think everyone here understand the frustration of the poster's situation, but I think at least Jagex is somewhat understanding for giving u the temp mute (and hopefully no black marks on your character). I have seen other players trying to entice other players to use strong words in retaliations. One of my friend got goaded a lot because of his high combat level in clan wars, and he got reported when he swore at them. Of course he got black marks, but he said it was well worth it and let his steam out because he was very mad.

For the most part, whenever I encountered someone like that, I just take a step back, evaluate the situation, report when necessary and move on my daily RS tasks. RS is not what it was once use to and everyone is very report abuse happy (despite the situations), so those of us with long experience and wisdom (or views) will tolerate as the game goes along.

a happy Runescaper

Remembers me of a RS-vid I once saw.

Person comes up to you and says: 'knock knock!'

You answer: 'Who is there?'

He says: 'Ray'

You answer: 'Ray who?'

He says: 'reported for asking personal information!'

:lol:

I've done this a few times on a busy chat, but never actually reported anyone :D SO much fun.

My friend once talked a pmod into a trick like this, and got him a mute.

The mod I mentioned above, is a perfect match to that description. He can't see anything as a joke, and takes everything personally. And there are a other pmods like him, that I have encountered, so my belief and respect to player mods isn't really high.

I usually just sit around and watch things evolve, and I'm pretty careful of what I say in public, this is why I've never gotten a mute or a black mark of any kind. Of course I swear and talk things that when taken out of context can easily give me a mute. I just stay focused on where and whom I'm talking to, and act that way. In this matter discretion is always a virtue :D.

You were probably reported by a p-mod. P-mods have no ability to sense sarcasm.

It doesn't matter whether or not he was reported by a Player Moderator or a regular player; Jagex were the one actionining the report and they felt what they saw was enough to give a 14-day-mute. They don't know how the conversation went or the 14 minutes before he got reported was about. They don't know he was the one trying to scam. All they have is him requesting the other guys password...You must remember a lot of the RuneScape Community are gullible.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Nice Mistake.

Watch what you say

is all i have to say

Your way of summing up an argument works very well in this situation. I agree watch what you say is a perfect solution to anything dealing with reports.

Low_C.png

I just can't fathom that it would be so hard to have a real person look over every ban/mute appeal that is sent in from the perspective of a [bleep]ing human. Yes, I'm sure they get a lot of appeals each day... but I don't see it being too many that a team of people wouldn't be able to spend 30 seconds reading each one.

Also - the word "suicide" in an appeal used to automatically get you unbanned or unmuted instantly. Was epically hilarious. However, now you get a message from Jagex telling you that if you continue they will be forced to contact the police.

Never EVER say 'Give me your password', or equivalent, in any context. It's just a foolish thing to do.

If you think about it, these guys have had to go through hundreds and thousands of these, and you never hear about the muting or banning system when it works well. The guy probably saw 'give me your password' and saw no need to go further, because humans really don't want to have to go through every word and check for sarcasm, it's just an impossible task.

Considering how much the population has increased over the last few years, and that complaints about the system remain the same, I'd say they're improving on it.

Seriously, don't be stupid.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Because I have been playing Runescape for far too long, I instantly remembered one of the worst updates in the history of Runescape. I have no idea what year this happened, but Jagex released a filter in the game, making it so you could only say certain words: game related words. For example, when one of my friends would try to say my name, "jacob" would turn into "bacon." Thus, the wonderful private message, "How are you doing today Bacon?" The update caused an uproar. Rs was a much smaller community back then, and the person to person interaction was absolutely crucial in regards to the success of the game.

wait, what?

Did you actually try that? Taking it out of context, I mean? Because it's an obvious joke, in or out of context, which is the silliest part. True, it's not wise to joke about things like this, but like I said before, anyone with half a brain can tell it's a joke, in or out of context. What the mounted Abyssal Demon says is more easily misconstrued as an actual scam than this is.

Without any context, they'll see:

"Give me your password and I'll scam you!"

I have actually seen worse scam attempts done seriously, sad as that may be.

If this is all they see in the report it's enough for them to action. If I was a Jagex employee I'd probably have done the same thing, just to be safe. Not actioning it means that I may have just let a password scammer go, and that isn't worth the risk.

Geeze man is it that time of the month for you? Is there a reason why you keep trying to argue with me? I will, however, respectfully bow out. I mean, you were the 116,912nd person to get 99 cooking, which makes you kind of a big deal.

Have you not learned? Your sarcasm just won you a 2 week mute, and yet you continue to pile it on?

But really though, I don't think you've focused on what I was saying, and just read what you wanted to read. I'm just saying things aren't like they used to be... there was a time you could have an argument with someone, without fear of getting reported. Likewise, there was a time when you could mock a scammer without getting reported. And what's the point of an appeal if they don't have the time to read them.

First of all, you weren't "mocking" the scammer, you were password scamming, there was never a time where you could password scam and get away with it. Sir_Kurity explains this pretty well:

I think Jagex has to cater to the complete dimwits... unfortunately for you, to complete dimwits, that's a legitimate password scamming technique

Secondly, the point of the appeal is to issue an apology! Telling Jagex that they made a mistake in wrongly banning you isn't going to help; Jagex never admits mistakes.

your allowed to have an opinion.

**you're

If your opinion is that you were wrongly banned or that Jagex spends less time than before considering bans or reviewing appeals or anything in that vein, then your opinion is an incorrect one based on poor non-existant evidence (unless, of course, you are speaking from having an appeal from a previous ban granted, in which case Jagex probably just muted you because you are a repeat offender)

All skills 70+

Trails: 2 x Rune platebody (g)

Barrows: 1 x Dharok's legs

Drops: 1 x Dragon skirt | 1 x Dragon defender

OP, you deserved to get muted. I don't know how in the world you could have concluded, out of all other more logical conclusions, that saying "give me" and "password" in the same sentence, where there is absolutely NO CONTEXT to differentiate it from a joke, would "shoo" him away or somehow get you out of trouble. Why would you waste your time standing beside that idiot for 15 minutes? You see him once, you report him, you ignore him. Takes 5 seconds or less, okay? Did you think you were being clever by thinking "let me stand beside him for 15 minutes, try to scam someone jokingly, not even report or ignore him, and yeah, that definitely won't get myself muted! Good job!" If that's not you (which is how a normal person would do it), sorry to say, but either way, you have not a single shred of common sense. Absolutely none.

Jagex is supposed to know that it was a joke? For all they know, there could have been two scammers, not one and one other failing to "mock" the original scammer. There was no context in the report to tell them that you meant it as a joke. And even then, that is a very stupid thing to say.

Jagex isn't out to get you. You set up yourself. If you continue to defend yourself by saying Jagex is at fault and not you, you are just working against yourself and proving (again) that you have no common sense.

gg nub

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

Without any context, they'll see:

"Give me your password and I'll scam you!"

I have actually seen worse scam attempts done seriously, sad as that may be.

If this is all they see in the report it's enough for them to action. If I was a Jagex employee I'd probably have done the same thing, just to be safe. Not actioning it means that I may have just let a password scammer go, and that isn't worth the risk.

If we were to fear scammers like that, then Jagex should never have incorporated a talking head that tells you to take all your items to the Abyss. We should remove that too, just to be safe.

If we were to fear scammers like that, then Jagex should never have incorporated a talking head that tells you to take all your items to the Abyss. We should remove that too, just to be safe.

There's a huge difference between the actions of a player and the dialogue of a fairly uncommon display item.

What the [bleep] is wrong with you people?

I mean, context has nothing to do with it.

"Give me your account and I'll scam you" is a fairly comrpehensive sentence. For it to require context would be "Give me your account" "So I can scam you."

This reminds me of when I ws banned for a week, which was then turned into 3 weeks by an update for telling hyt chat that "Hey guys your password is muted see? 598753" "Oh, crap."

Even taken out of conext that message is fairly obviously a joke. And my message was far worse than OP's.

By the way, as a point, I'm saying the following to show you how TIF handles their reports far better than Jagex.

Give me your TIF forum password via pm, and I'll hack your account and link dirty websites and viruses on all the threads.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]