Big Brother Is Watching

JumpinJax

not read anything other than the original comment, i agree completely! to be fair it was quite long ago my experience, just before GE. someone was selling willows for 10gp per, so i put up 100k and he put up 1k. i said no its 10k, and he said no 10gp per - 1k. in then said, u cant do math? damn how old are you? i got muted for a month because i was requesting personal imformation, my appeal was also denied. you would have thought theyd at least look at the complaint in a little bit of context. it was obviously a rhetorical question.

i want to know their method for dealing with complaints, it must be via computer. but are their appeals also dealt by with computer, from my experience ive never had an appeal work. except when i excessively appealed and tried to get in contact with them.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once got muted for saying "you want MY password?"

the (failed) scammer was saying "selling free membs 15k" (this was at the time of non-free trade so he was going for max GP)

to get more evidence against them I asked that question before reporting them.

backfire...

there is only ONE thing I can get from this, its not a human behind the report checking. a human would know what was happening with half a brain missing, but a computer would see "password" and just output a scam warning.

I can understand though, I don't know how many reports jagex get buts its fair to say its a lot. and computers are faster then humans at stuff like this.

p.s.

http://forum.tip.it/topic/81482-grrr-i-was-unfairly-mutedbanned/

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

I never understood people. Sarcastic or not, if it can be perceived as a threat, or that it could be perceived as offensive, you can get reported for it. No, not everyone who reports people are a 'wannabe mod'.

Reporting rule breakers shouldn't really be looked down upon, because it's the rule breaker's fault for breaking the RuneScape rules in the first place. However, this does not mean taking things out of context to report someone is justified, though.

Also: Believe it or not, JaGex does read appeals. The 'trick' is to explain what you intended to mean, instead of what it was perceived to mean. Most of the time I see people appealing with cussing, or an appeal to pity, which is fallacious and often fails to work.

Not sure what else to add to this post, thoughts a bit scattered. Gnight

I agree that it's not a good idea to joke about this things. It's just like how you shouldn't joke about hijacking a plane in real life.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

I once got reported for being sarcastic that could be taken as asking for personal details out of context. I eventually got it removed, but I have learned to never be sarcastic with stupid people around. So, basically everywhere except with close friends. Gots to be careful!

Big_Stingman.png

Freedom of speech does not exist in private games or on privately run websites.

[/fail]

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

This reminds me of something that happened many moons ago: I was minding my own business while some idiot nearby kept advertising a scam site. Like the OP, I was getting really annoyed, so I said sarcastically, "Go to [website] to get scammed!"

Surprisingly, nothing happened to me. Oh, how the times have changed.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

The freedom of speech is important, but we can't let it go before the ability to report scammers/lurers/botters and so on. And since there are always people reporting other people because of the wrong reasons this problem will probably remain. Jagex need to put down more work on their appealing and reports center so that for example irony, like in this example, is not punished.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Need to be careful what you say even if you think it's acceptable. Jagex tends to be too politically correct in most situations. Your best bet to appeal would be the use of the appeal thread on the RuneScape Official Forums. Not sure if it still exists or not because I haven't browsed there in a while. But if it does exist, it'd definitely worth the effort. Maybe this time you might get a better person to deal with it, or at least a reasoning behind why it was declined.

Good luck and I wish you the best if you do decide to appeal it again (or if it's even possible anymore).

j0xPu5R.png

I got muted once for 48 hours because I cursed (after the filter update) in front of a player mod that was hanging out with his online girlfriend and he didn't want his "snuggle bear" to hear such language.

It got reversed later that night.

I still lolled at the nerd that was dating a girl over rs...

whatcolor_isblack.jpg

Player Mods (a.k.a. 13 year olds who suck up to jagex) have the authority to mute anyone at anytime, given the vague rules. These are the people jagex wants running their game.

Wheras in reality, we base disputes like this off of what a reasonable person would think (he's obviously being sarcastic). In runescape we have to base them off what your average runescape playing retard would think. Consider the people in this very thread defending the 13 year old player mod who muted him lol.

satan_panda.png

Player Mods (a.k.a. 13 year olds who suck up to jagex) have the authority to mute anyone at anytime, given the vague rules. These are the people jagex wants running their game.

Wheras in reality, we base disputes like this off of what a reasonable person would think (he's obviously being sarcastic). In runescape we have to base them off what your average runescape playing retard would think. Consider the people in this very thread defending the 13 year old player mod who muted him lol.

Proof by assertion. Attacking the arguer. Censor evasion.

Sorry, it's very hard to take your post seriously when all you did was to label people who report others as '13 year olds who suck up to JaGex'

Give us a real reason why we shouldn't argue for our position please?

I got muted once for 48 hours because I cursed (after the filter update) in front of a player mod that was hanging out with his online girlfriend and he didn't want his "snuggle bear" to hear such language.

haha lol i hate people like that

its pathetic

Durmstrang.png

Go Chicago Bears!

"Look, if you had one shot, or one opportunity

To seize everything you ever wanted-One moment

Would you capture it or just let it slip?"

its pathetic

How is it pathetic?

Before anything else, I'd like to point out the last part of my post, which shows two consecutive posts - one from the OP on sept 6, one from amitoz yesterday. Note the word consecutive.

Did you actually try that? Taking it out of context, I mean? Because it's an obvious joke, in or out of context, which is the silliest part. True, it's not wise to joke about things like this, but like I said before, anyone with half a brain can tell it's a joke, in or out of context. What the mounted Abyssal Demon says is more easily misconstrued as an actual scam than this is.

Without any context, they'll see:

"Give me your password and I'll scam you!"

I have actually seen worse scam attempts done seriously, sad as that may be.

If this is all they see in the report it's enough for them to action. If I was a Jagex employee I'd probably have done the same thing, just to be safe. Not actioning it means that I may have just let a password scammer go, and that isn't worth the risk.

If we were to fear scammers like that, then Jagex should never have incorporated a talking head that tells you to take all your items to the Abyss. We should remove that too, just to be safe.

The abyssal demon isn't trying to take anything from you though.

Ok, am I the only person who thinks it isn't that big of a deal either way? Yeah, it'd be nice if Jagex could detect sarcasm. It's semi-obvious because of how blatant it is. On the other hand, when you get banned because you explicitly asked someone to tel you what their password is, you can't blame the mod for hitting the report button.

Anyways, the big brother scenario is unfeasible, because it's impossible to have the man-power to watch over everybody (although with today's technology you could monitor all of what a lot of people do O_O)

You know, the reports probably are looked at by people, not an algorithm; bored people, who are annoyed because they're spending several hours looking at everything that got reported for abuse. Tell me, how much of a sense of humour would you have after spending a few hours doing that?

At the end of the day, you shouldn't have said that, you shouldn't have gotten reported, you shouldn't have gotten muted, and Jagex doesn't have a big brother super computer program with A.I. smart enough to read through every single line of writing typed by someone on RS and ban them accordingly. Jagex could actually keep track of everything anyone said on RS, but that'd require a lot of memory in order to hold that, and it'd be impossible to effective search through that database in order to find every single thing you could ban someone for.

its pathetic

How is it pathetic?

The fact that he thinks his girlfriend has such delicate sensibilities that he must report, mute and show off his special abilities/privilege of muting upon report in order to protect her?

Several ways I can spin that above sentence, none of them positive.

I'd rather be the class clown than the stickler with his arms crossed and rule book out.

The 'stickler' would be whatever Jagex employee muted you, not me.

1984 was an excellent novel.

These two posts were consecutive. Figures Amitoz would bring a thread from september back from the graveyard.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Before anything else, I'd like to point out the last part of my post, which shows two consecutive posts - one from the OP on sept 6, one from amitoz yesterday. Note the word consecutive.

Did you actually try that? Taking it out of context, I mean? Because it's an obvious joke, in or out of context, which is the silliest part. True, it's not wise to joke about things like this, but like I said before, anyone with half a brain can tell it's a joke, in or out of context. What the mounted Abyssal Demon says is more easily misconstrued as an actual scam than this is.

If this is all they see in the report it's enough for them to action. If I was a Jagex employee I'd probably have done the same thing, just to be safe. Not actioning it means that I may have just let a password scammer go, and that isn't worth the risk.

If we were to fear scammers like that, then Jagex should never have incorporated a talking head that tells you to take all your items to the Abyss. We should remove that too, just to be safe.

Ok, am I the only person who thinks it isn't that big of a deal either way? Yeah, it'd be nice if Jagex could detect sarcasm. It's semi-obvious because of how blatant it is. On the other hand, when you get banned because you explicitly asked someone to tel you what their password is, you can't blame the mod for hitting the report button.

Anyways, the big brother scenario is unfeasible, because it's impossible to have the man-power to watch over everybody (although with today's technology you could monitor all of what a lot of people do O_O)

You know, the reports probably are looked at by people, not an algorithm; bored people, who are annoyed because they're spending several hours looking at everything that got reported for abuse. Tell me, how much of a sense of humour would you have after spending a few hours doing that?

At the end of the day, you shouldn't have said that, you shouldn't have gotten reported, you shouldn't have gotten muted, and Jagex doesn't have a big brother super computer program with A.I. smart enough to read through every single line of writing typed by someone on RS and ban them accordingly. Jagex could actually keep track of everything anyone said on RS, but that'd require a lot of memory in order to hold that, and it'd be impossible to effective search through that database in order to find every single thing you could ban someone for.

its pathetic

How is it pathetic?

The fact that he thinks his girlfriend has such delicate sensibilities that he must report, mute and show off his special abilities/privilege of muting upon report in order to protect her?

I'd rather be the class clown than the stickler with his arms crossed and rule book out.

These two posts were consecutive. Figures Amitoz would bring a thread from september back from the graveyard.

I like the novel, that's all.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

Even if you meant no harm, they don't want to let one person off the hook, because what happens when the next person uses the same excuse, even if he isn't innocent.

Exactly what I'm saying.

Amitoz.png

Come to my Clan chat (I'm there if I'm online) if you wish to borrow a Green H'ween mask, Blue H'ween Mask, Red H'ween Mask, or Santa for a reasonable price.

its pathetic

How is it pathetic?

I like the novel, that's all.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight, so you bump a thread that's 6 months old because of that.

The year old threads were almost all bumped at different times.

Lol. Have a cookie.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

OP is an idiot. Jagex isn't watching you, you were reported. Don't say stupid crap in game and you won't get muted. You are lucky you didn't get permabanned for that like you would back in 2006. Maybe you should have been permabanned to get less idiots out of this game.

OP is an idiot. Jagex isn't watching you, you were reported. Don't say stupid crap in game and you won't get muted. You are lucky you didn't get permabanned for that like you would back in 2006. Maybe you should have been permabanned to get less idiots out of this game.

Butthurt?

OP is correct, and I stand with what he's saying... Jagex is too harsh on little things.

Amitoz.png

The next day I log on to enjoy some bonus experience, and begin to attempt to engage in some dialogue with a few of my closest friends. Well, actually, I don't have any friends, but I often like to entertain myself by typing some lyrics to the song I listen to while I train. Well right after I get done typing "When I was younger so much younger than today," and begin to send out my song to the world, I get a message saying I have been muted for 14 days.

forever+alone+face.png

C(21)H(30)O(2)

The next day I log on to enjoy some bonus experience, and begin to attempt to engage in some dialogue with a few of my closest friends. Well, actually, I don't have any friends, but I often like to entertain myself by typing some lyrics to the song I listen to while I train. Well right after I get done typing "When I was younger so much younger than today," and begin to send out my song to the world, I get a message saying I have been muted for 14 days.

forever+alone+face.png

uh?

Amitoz.png

Butthurt?

OP is correct, and I stand with what he's saying... Jagex is too harsh on little things.

Butthurt how? I've never been banned because I never said stupid [cabbage]. Gb24chan [wagon].