Firemaking suggestion: FLAMING EQUIPMENT

Troacctid

Firemaking: Flaming Equipment

BRIEF OVERVIEW

Flaming weapons, armor, and other items. They would have some combination of increased stats and special abilities and would require a firemaking level to wield/use. An example might be a flaming sword that can deal additional damage, a fire amulet that gives a damage boost to fire spells, or a pickaxe that has a chance of smelting ores as you mine them. This should revitalize the firemaking skill, which currently has very little useful content associated with it.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION

The Problem

Firemaking, in its current state, is a crappy skill. All you can burn are logs, and they don't do anything interesting when you burn them. The skill is broken and useless--there's nothing to do at high levels and not much to do at low levels either. It's also boring: where fishing allows you to wrestle sharks out of the water with your bare hands, summoning allows you to call formidable titans to your aid, prayer lets you gain massive combat bonuses or steal souls, and slayer has you called forth to battle the likes of dark beasts and strykewyrms, firemaking just lets you...light campfires. Yawn!

So, in list form:

• Lack of high-level content
  • Lack of rewards for training the skill, high-level or otherwise
  • All-around lameness
  • Note that the skill is fairly boring to train as well, but this is not something I'll be addressing in this suggestion.

The Solution

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight EVERYTHING with fire."

--Jaya Ballard, task mage

There's a reason fire magic is such a popular fantasy trope: it's really cool! I don't know how the firemaking skill ended up so mundane when FIRE itself is so exciting that I sometimes accidentally capitalize it!

All you need to do to make firemaking much more awesome is remove the silly restriction that only wood can be lit on fire. My suggestion: LIGHT THINGS ON FIRE! (Disclaimer: Please don't try this at home. That would be a very, very bad idea.)

Some important guiding concepts

• Flaming equipment should consist of ordinary items/equipment that are either physically lit on fire, specially enchanted to be on fire, or both.
  • The new items should be player-made and should either be untradable, or be tradable, but with a firemaking requirement to use them. This ensures that the skill level is relevant. See "How it works" section for details and examples.
  • Flaming equipment would include obvious standbys such as flaming arrows and flaming swords. See "Equipment" section for details and examples.
  • There should also be gear that appeals to skillers, perhaps along the lines of the inferno adze. See "Other gear" section for details and examples.
  • In general, the new items should strive to tie firemaking into most other skills and all sides of the combat triangle.
  • A variety of items should be available throughout a wide range of levels, up to and including the high 90s.
  • Combat-related items should be developed with an awareness of balance in PvP. Players should not feel forced to train firemaking to remain competitive in PvP.
  • Making it awesome is more important than getting it out there quickly. Feel free to give the Graphics Team the time to go to town with lots of cool particle effects!
  • Potential ways to name modified items: Rune longsword (f), Rune flame sword, Rune fire sword, Rune blaze sword, Rune flame longsword, Ignited rune longsword, Blazing rune longsword, etc.

How it works

I have a few ideas about how we could light the things on fire.

1. The item would be specially treated to hold a flame without being consumed by it. It could be dipped in a special pool of lava, for example, or there could be an NPC tutor who treats it for you. This step could easily be tied into the TzHaar area, I think, either through quests, miniquests, or just having the lava pool/tutor/whatever located there.

2. Unique fire shards obtainable through medium-low rarity drops/thieving/etc could be required and consumed in the process. They could also be store-bought like marble blocks or mined in a special area like obsidian slabs, or some combination of any of these. They may or may not be tradable.

3. Alternately, I suppose fire runes could be used if you really wanted to save time. Possibly not quite as cool. There's also no precedent for using runes in firemaking, and it might give the impression that the ability belongs in the Magic skill, which would be bad.

4. Or if an NPC is involved, we could just pay some gold (or TokKul). That's fine too, I guess.

5. Some items might be unique rather than created from existing items. I'm not really sure what to do about them. Maybe sell unlit versions in a specialty shop.

EQUIPMENT

For melee

All metal weapons, mithril through dragon, could be lit on fire to have a chance to deal additional damage (similar to the Hailstorm Dagger in Daemonheim or the Lava Titan's special ability). Alternately, to save time, it could be limited to just swords, but I imagine players would demand the same ability for their maces and battleaxes anyway. Lighting weapons on fire should probably require a firemaking level 10-20 levels above the attack level needed to wield them.

Balancing these weapons would probably require excluding high-end weapons like the Abyssal Whip and removing the fire ability during the weapon's special attack. (Flaming dragon claws spec would be pretty overpowered, I think.)

For the high-level players, defenders could be lit on fire to perform similarly to the Flameburst Defender in Daemonheim, reducing the base max hit but improving accuracy and adding additional damage. This would require very high firemaking and the same level would have to be required for all defenders. (Reasoning: it wouldn't be fair to ask players to go get a new mithril defender if they already threw it away when they got their rune defender.)

For ranging

All non-poison arrows (except god arrows) could be lit on fire, again with level requirements appropriate to their metal. Bolts too, I guess, but not enchanted bolts. Lit arrows would deal additional damage similar to the melee weapons. The Underground Pass quest might need to be changed slightly.

For magic

An amulet could be lit on fire to provide a magic damage bonus. I imagine the bonus would increase when used with fire spells and decrease when used with water spells; not sure what to do about Flames of Zamorak or ice spells though. This should require a very high firemaking level.

Perhaps a 20% bonus, but only for fire spells and possibly Flames of Zamorak.

The firemaking armor should be a set of magic robes--armor made of fire will obviously be flimsy, and provides a giant beacon bullseye target for rangers, so it makes sense to give it to the class weak against ranged. However, the overwhelming heat would make it difficult to attack at close range, conveniently giving it an advantage against melee. So I suggest robes with stats similar to infinity, but with a set effect that deals recoil damage against melee attacks. Hell, maybe give it another damage boost for fire spells while we're at it!

(That sounds so awesome, it makes me want robes for the other three elements. Hmm...)

Other gear

How about a jewelry item with that teleports you to volcanos? It could teleport you to

1. TzHaar City/Karamja volcano

2. That awesome erupting volcano in the northeastern wildy (Or any number of other similar Wilderness locations)

3. Near the salamanders north of the Observatory

4. Taverley Dungeon near the Chaos Dwarves

5. Brimhaven Dungeon

We could have a fire hammer that smiths items more quickly because it softens the bars.

A fire pickaxe could have a small chance of smelting ores as it mines.

There could be a portable campfire that could be placed on the ground to cook items, then picked up later.

Um...that's all I can think of right now.

Any thoughts before I post to the official forums?

me likey

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

Watch out for "flamers"

Get it? :-P But, this looks very promising :thumbup:

Elricedward.png
Barrows Items: 1x Dharok's Platelegs, 1x Veracs's Plateskirt, 1x Dharok's Greataxe, 2x Torag's Platelegs, 1x Akrisae's War Mace, 1x Ahrim's Robeskirt, 3x Akrisae's Robetop, 1x Guthan's Warspear, 1x Akrisae's Robeskirt, 1x Torag's Helm, 2x Verac's Brassard, 1x Karil's Pistol Crossbow

This is a great addition to the firemaking skill, one that doubtless many runescapers have wished and hoped for (myself included). Though as a counterpart of the fire arrows I do believe that Ice Arrows exist and may or may not be used in the Temple of Ikov quest. They are stolen from chests around where there are ice spiders I believe. Also I have heard hearsay that these arrows do provide higher hits on lava monsters then their ranged str says but i think that its just lies or something of the sort.

checking rune wiki about them atm.

Edit the do not do extra damage according to rune wiki so if this update was made they probably should

:)

-racer

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Confucius

"choosing your path is the true trial", "the most honorable dilemma"

Go with the elemental stuff.

PLEASE

oh god i hate the elemental quest

they should have like some sort of flamethrower thing, like a handcannon that has a chance to burn up or something like that

PLEASE

they should have like some sort of flamethrower thing, like a handcannon that has a chance to burn up or something like that

We have flamethrowers already. They're called salamanders. :ugeek:

PLEASE

We have flamethrowers already. They're called salamanders. :ugeek:

psh salamanders, a flamethrower of some sort would be cooler

I like this idea! Firemaking definitely needs a point... which it really doesn't have at the moment. Would be a nice little bonus for skillers I think. Well thought out idea. :D Maybe players could light their equipment on fire, and could help others do the same using the assist system? (However this would put more pressure on the already over-loaded feeling assist system.) This would, of course, provide more firemaking experience!

Blakdragon39.png

they should bring ents back, and when you get an ent you can catch it on fire and then it would freak out and go ballistic mode and then turn into ashes. and you get like 2x the xp of what tree it was

This is awesome, I thought of 'Katniss, the girl who was on fire' (from The Hunger Games) when I read this...

:P If you think you need/want any sort of art I'd love to take a shot at it.

This is awesome, I thought of 'Katniss, the girl who was on fire' (from The Hunger Games) when I read this...

:P If you think you need/want any sort of art I'd love to take a shot at it.

It's always welcome I guess.

At your leisure, of course.

when you attack people with any weapon on fire, i think it would be like poison, your health bar changes a certain color and over time your health gets depleted

but then what if you use poison and a fire weapon? the fire would ake out the poison and vice versa i guess

I don't like all of the ideas, but I think you've hit on a few gems. Firstly, I think melee should only get the ignited defenders (I think ignited is a great word to describe these upgraded items). If magic is going to get the most benefit, it would make sense that melee should get the least benefit.

This brings me to magic: I love the idea of ignited robes with melee recoil. I also like the idea of enchanting a pickaxe to have a chance to smelt ores. For the hammer, what about giving the blast fusion hammer a slight chance to smith faster, and the higher your FMing level, the higher the chance?

Given that magic would have ignited robes, I would think that ignited arrows would do no additional damage. If that's the case, which it logically would be, it would be a little unbalancing to the combat triangle.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I don't like all of the ideas, but I think you've hit on a few gems. Firstly, I think melee should only get the ignited defenders (I think ignited is a great word to describe these upgraded items). If magic is going to get the most benefit, it would make sense that melee should get the least benefit.

Can't agree with you here. Flaming swords are way too cool, sorry.

This brings me to magic: I love the idea of ignited robes with melee recoil. I also like the idea of enchanting a pickaxe to have a chance to smelt ores. For the hammer, what about giving the blast fusion hammer a slight chance to smith faster, and the higher your FMing level, the higher the chance?

I don't agree with using the Blast Fusion Hammer since that already has a well-defined, specific purpose.

Given that magic would have ignited robes, I would think that ignited arrows would do no additional damage. If that's the case, which it logically would be, it would be a little unbalancing to the combat triangle.

You mean like fire robes shield you from fire? I guess. *shrug*

You mean like fire robes shield you from fire? I guess. *shrug*

Makes sense. You wouldn't throw a bucket of water at a lake if you were trying to hurt the lake.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

It took 10 years of Firemaking being useless for someone to make a thread :P

That said, any improvement at this point would be great - nice post :)

Off the top of my head, I would like it to be in conjuction with more skills..

Ie.

Agility - Maybe a course that you have to light up each obstacle.. (fire rings, etc..)

Thieving - smoke out a tomb/house/etc.. and loot the treasures!

Hunter - smoke out animal tunnels

Just random examples..

Bdvo89.png

OL' SCHOOL CIRCA '01, YOU MAD BRO?

As awesome as this would be, please dont make firemaking the next herblore...

You know, that skill that every high level boss hunter needs so it drives the prices of logs through the roof and makes it impossible to train for anyone else?

You get like 900 maple logs per day from Miscellania, and anyone who wants to DIY it can still make an easy 60k xp/hr at teaks at no loss, and woodcutting is such a popular skill that any increase in price will cause a flood of players chopping new logs to support the increased demand.