Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tip.It Times - 5th September 2010

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
A rectification and a clarification:

The one that stays ON the balance beam won, of course...

And this:
"BESIDES all of the above, I couldn't find a single thing that I liked about this event." means that I DID like all the stuff mentioned... Apparently some people read right past this and saw this as another critical piece of Jagex, while I can't imagine anyone ever doing a better job...

Yes, I meant to write it in this way, because it should make you read it twice...

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Range_This11
[ Display Name History ]

Range_This11

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,427 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

The second article needs two words to explain. Skill Capes. They ruined the mentality of Runescape. They started the trend of grinding levels instead of levelling for fun.

I don't buy this at all. I don't think you're implying that people didn't grind before skill capes came out because that would be silly statement to make, but I also don't agree that they've ruined any part of RuneScape. If anything, it has given players a pretty cool reward for working hard at a certain skill, which makes the game more enjoyable.

Also, the first article is the first article I've thoroughly enjoyed from the Times in awhile. Perhaps because it was some actual journalism instead of someone's day dreams about RuneScape's past conjured up while they were afk-ing a skill. Good job Ts.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

mario_sunny
[ Display Name History ]

mario_sunny

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,412 posts
Ns, the runefest article was the best article I've read this year. :)

And LOL at the video! You just kinda awkwardly walked up there and gave it to him without a word, haha.
Posted Image
By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts
It wasnt an awkward walk at all. I was hoping to give them the box before getting jumped by security :)

And I told Paul it was a Random Event gift :) But the mic didnt pic it up...

And thanks for the compliment... Weird thing is; this is the first article where I feel I didn't do justice to the subject I'm writing about...

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

The_Eggman
[ Display Name History ]

The_Eggman

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:The Eggman
  • Clan:RuneHQ
I'd like to say that Runefest was a one-of-a-kind experience for me, and it was lovely to meet you TS Stormrage.

The attendees of Runefest were far from making it a nerdfest, it was a collection of very diverse people who all share the same interest in Runescape, and were there to have a brilliant time. :)

Brilliant summary of Runefest, and I hope from all the pictures , videos and articles that players read/see/watch, that more players would be more inclined to attend! It is honestly worth every penny!

Cheers! Eggman :D

Troacctid
[ Display Name History ]

Troacctid

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,419 posts
  • RSN:Troacctid
  • Clan:The Farming Guild

Runescape wasn't always like this.

Actually, it pretty much was. It has been for as long as I've been playing and it has been for as long as you've been playing (since '06, right?). I guess I can't speak for the RSC days, but I think it's pretty safe to say you're remembering a time that just doesn't exist. :unsure:

Also, what jettrider said.

Silvertaler
[ Display Name History ]

Silvertaler

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • RSN:Silvertaler

Good first article (probably best for the first Times after RuneFest to have a recap like that), old recycled topic for second article, decent DYK

How is it a recycled topic, when nobody ever considered the idea? Look around you. How many people on RS have a "journey > destination" mentality? If you say this has been brought up many times before, then show me the "many times". I wanna see how many people out there, in the past few years, have considered the same idea. Especially on fan sites, where playing for the sake of fun is highly discouraged/completely ignored/not even thought of in the first place.

Sure, I'd be glad to.

http://www.tip.it/ru...x.php?times=471
http://www.tip.it/ru...x.php?times=455
http://www.tip.it/ru...x.php?times=443
http://www.tip.it/ru...x.php?times=420
http://www.tip.it/ru...x.php?times=414

Those are another five articles on the same topic written for the Times in the past half year. I don't need to go into "the past few years" or even to other fansites.

I don't doubt that you wrote the article using your own opinions and observations. I am merely pointing out that we have this same topic explored once a month, with little new material and few new opinions being presented each time.

Ah, thanks for the links. Quite glad to see I'm not the only one in fact. Still, this isn't a recycled topic yet. Until any damage is done in the current "standard" mentallity, it's always fresh for debate, and debate on this is needed.

Re: When Achievement Is Worth More Than Fun

Quite simply...the change happened with the introduction of Capes of Accomplishment =\

Heck, even Jagex has continued to buy into the 'blind grind' mentality by introducing Dungeoneering :shame:

After all, what skill can you think of where you are basically pushed into rushing through as quickly as possible to maximize your xp...and if you DARE solo and take time to harvest all the resources you are PENALIZED for it :blink:

As long as people are only concerned with "I've got more capes than you, nub"....there really isn't much any of us can do :wall:

Personally...I usually find the journey is much more interesting than the destination :rolleyes:

-EvilBunnieLady

Well the fact is, some people aren't glad with those capes. They go for 200mil exp and what not, from my point of view it's borderline masochism. The capes may be a potential factor but not the main reason.
Posted Image

Danqazmlp
[ Display Name History ]

Danqazmlp

To Ass!

• Members
  • 8,492 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Danqazmlp

The second article needs two words to explain. Skill Capes. They ruined the mentality of Runescape. They started the trend of grinding levels instead of levelling for fun.

I don't buy this at all. I don't think you're implying that people didn't grind before skill capes came out because that would be silly statement to make, but I also don't agree that they've ruined any part of RuneScape. If anything, it has given players a pretty cool reward for working hard at a certain skill, which makes the game more enjoyable.

Also, the first article is the first article I've thoroughly enjoyed from the Times in awhile. Perhaps because it was some actual journalism instead of someone's day dreams about RuneScape's past conjured up while they were afk-ing a skill. Good job Ts.

There are two facts to make. Before skill capes, the two majority reasons for doing a skill would be for money or for fun. post-skill capes, the reasons for doing so also include doing the skill for the cape. Money was often the deciding factor, as if a skill didn't make money, people would not train it, thus making the item produced go up in price, making the skill profitable again. It formed a balance. But with skill capes, that balance was thrown out. People not making money would stop, but they would be replaced by those who just want a cape. You could then say that the money making was still not fun, but now that the skilling makes less money, people have to make money else-were which takes up the time they could have used to have fun.

Basically, in modern RS, to skill you need money, to make money you need to skill. An endless cycle.
In older RS, you could skill to make money, they do random things such as mini-games and quests.(which at the time didn't HAVE to make money or skilling easier to be popular)

Now this is a generalisation and there will be exceptions, but for a general rules it is truth. Skillcapes drove the money out of skilling which drove the fun out of runescape.
Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!
Posted Image
Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

mario_sunny
[ Display Name History ]

mario_sunny

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,412 posts

It wasnt an awkward walk at all. I was hoping to give them the box before getting jumped by security :)

And thanks for the compliment... Weird thing is; this is the first article where I feel I didn't do justice to the subject I'm writing about...

I liked it because it was original and summed up all the events of Runefest into one article. Before the article I had only picked up on little snippets of information about runefest, that's why I was looking foward to this one.
Posted Image
By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

tortilliachp
[ Display Name History ]

tortilliachp

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,693 posts
  • RSN:nacho

Before I continue with the After-party and the Goodbye-party, I'd like to give a special comment to the people who claim this was GeekFest, the people that claimed they would've gone if they knew it was free, the people that demand a Flagstaff be released for everyone, and even the people that complained that the prices of the food and drinks were too high.

Shut the hell up! Please. You were not there, and if you truly believed it would be the entire cast plus extra's from "Revenge of the Nerds" attending the event, you were probably not wanted there anyway. It reeks of jealousy, get over it.

sorry, i don't read the tip.it times for this lowly settling-of-scores by a "reflected author" who makes mistakes on purpose because "it should make you read it twice..."

get over yourself. I don't see any reason why your articles should be chain-published to feed your ego. Den's contributions to the runefest thread makes me wonder why he wasn't the one to write the tip.it times article on the topic (I'll freely assume he wasn't asked, it was invariably " your job").

sorry, articles from other locations (Hi Stokenut and WG) were already published in August, were more personal accounts of the happenings, and to put it bluntly, better reads. tip.it times beaten at their own game...

If you have a yak, you know the DYK. if you don't have a yak, fewer know that an imp can bank two items, also from pvp worlds, with (i believe) 71 hunter.

Kirbyfreek33
[ Display Name History ]

Kirbyfreek33

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 3 posts
First, about the RuneFest thread: I totally agree with everything you said, because RuneFest was spectacular! =D I wish I had known you were having dinner with Indy and Caz, I might have tried to find some way to barge in, I needed something to do for the last few hours before the night-before party. And I can fully support the fact that he was there, as I'll show a picture of some of us on the London Eye...
Posted Image
There is way too much stuff to say about RuneFest for me to try to add any myself, I'll be typing for hours =P. But I agree completely with the achievements v. fun article. Just today, I had an argument with another person as to why I liked using herbicide and upgrading my Dungeoneering class ring, and all he said was "enjoy failing" because I wasn't getting the most money or herblore experience for my time. For me, however, I just like doing those things.

Central_Keeper
[ Display Name History ]

Central_Keeper

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 474 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P

You should have dressed up as one of the random event character, and mimic one of their entry scene, then no one would questions your authenticity ....

Great article one the first one, I would really like to go if they ever do one in Canada.

Second article was more of an opinion, and I think its been discussed in the forum various times. I agree with some extent what the author means, but while we grind, we usually do other stuff anyways like chatting to other people on RS to help pass the time. To me, that's pretty fun, and many people do take breaks now and then with other fun RS activities when they want something different.
a happy Runescaper

The_Eggman
[ Display Name History ]

The_Eggman

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • RSN:The Eggman
  • Clan:RuneHQ

[

sorry, i don't read the tip.it times for this lowly settling-of-scores by a "reflected author" who makes mistakes on purpose because "it should make you read it twice..."

Sorry, we dont have to put up with the whole geekfest thing, it's a valid point and the author has his right to reflect about his personal experiences.

Psi_Kia_Kai
[ Display Name History ]

Psi_Kia_Kai

Clan Official

• Clan Official
  • 107 posts
  • RSN:Psi Kia Kai
  • Clan:Brutality + Tal Shiar Alliance

Before I continue with the After-party and the Goodbye-party, I'd like to give a special comment to the people who claim this was GeekFest, the people that claimed they would've gone if they knew it was free, the people that demand a Flagstaff be released for everyone, and even the people that complained that the prices of the food and drinks were too high.

Shut the hell up! Please. You were not there, and if you truly believed it would be the entire cast plus extra's from "Revenge of the Nerds" attending the event, you were probably not wanted there anyway. It reeks of jealousy, get over it.

get over yourself. I don't see any reason why your articles should be chain-published to feed your ego. Den's contributions to the runefest thread makes me wonder why he wasn't the one to write the tip.it times article on the topic (I'll freely assume he wasn't asked, it was invariably " your job").

sorry, articles from other locations (Hi Stokenut and WG) were already published in August, were more personal accounts of the happenings, and to put it bluntly, better reads. tip.it times beaten at their own game...

If you have a yak, you know the DYK. if you don't have a yak, fewer know that an imp can bank two items, also from pvp worlds, with (i believe) 71 hunter.

Way to sound like a [bleep]ing [bleep] Nacho trying to have a go at someone who writes articles for free for the amusement of others. Before you go bashing his work how about we see some of yours? Let me put it "bluntly", your a person who feels everything they think is automatically correct, if someone says something your the first to jump in and "correct" them. Maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself and stop having a go at other people, [bleep]ing moron.

Tracy_Luna
[ Display Name History ]

Tracy_Luna

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • RSN:Lunna Dawn

This must have been an incredibly compelling article for you to have read it, never mind felt the need to comment on it? I've always been under the impression that a good writer has to be objective in their views and as this was an article and not a blog ... less personal and more informative should be the point.

A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow. – William Shakespeare

Lunna_Dawn.png

“Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.”
Dalai Lama XIV

Ts_Stormrage
[ Display Name History ]

Ts_Stormrage

A storm is coming...

• Editorial Panel
  • 3,747 posts

Settling scores? Making mistakes? Just because you do not have the intellect to understand what I wrote, means it is a mistake. Obviously you feel insulted that you did not get to be there, and are lashing out. Stop it, it does not become you.

Noone was asked, or told, or forced. I was at Runefest to enjoy myself and the company of others first and foremost of all. Writing a review of Jagex' first real life event for players came 2nd, but my opinion was that it would make a good editorial.
100% of the people I have spoken at RuneFest about the Tip.it Times said they were looking forward to my review, and 99% of the people I have spoken to think it is a good article. Your opinion means nothing to me as it has no criticism other then it being latE?

Keep in mind, my stay in London lasted to the 31st of August, so it was impossible for me to get anything before the deadline of last sunday's Times publications. They may have been better (easier?) reads for you, but why would that stop me from writing my own review? Oh yes, its a review, not a diary that I made, which may have come across as less personal.
I must say (I already did in the article) that I have met His Lordship and Stokenut and the other Wilderness Guardians, and they were, along with the rest of the Night Before crowd, the most awesome bunch of people I have ever met.

There was no competition or game of who writes the best piece about RuneFest. EVERYONE felt the need to express how they felt about RuneFest, it was just that awesome...
And I am SO GLAD you weren't there...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Psi_Kia_Kai
[ Display Name History ]

Psi_Kia_Kai

Clan Official

• Clan Official
  • 107 posts
  • RSN:Psi Kia Kai
  • Clan:Brutality + Tal Shiar Alliance

Settling scores? Making mistakes? Just because you do not have the intellect to understand what I wrote, means it is a mistake. Obviously you feel insulted that you did not get to be there, and are lashing out. Stop it, it does not become you.

Noone was asked, or told, or forced. I was at Runefest to enjoy myself and the company of others first and foremost of all. Writing a review of Jagex' first real life event for players came 2nd, but my opinion was that it would make a good editorial.
100% of the people I have spoken at RuneFest about the Tip.it Times said they were looking forward to my review, and 99% of the people I have spoken to think it is a good article. Your opinion means nothing to me as it has no criticism other then it being latE?

Keep in mind, my stay in London lasted to the 31st of August, so it was impossible for me to get anything before the deadline of last sunday's Times publications. They may have been better (easier?) reads for you, but why would that stop me from writing my own review? Oh yes, its a review, not a diary that I made, which may have come across as less personal.
I must say (I already did in the article) that I have met His Lordship and Stokenut and the other Wilderness Guardians, and they were, along with the rest of the Night Before crowd, the most awesome bunch of people I have ever met.

There was no competition or game of who writes the best piece about RuneFest. EVERYONE felt the need to express how they felt about RuneFest, it was just that awesome...
And I am SO GLAD you weren't there...

BANG.

armybuilder
[ Display Name History ]

armybuilder

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 732 posts
  • RSN:Armybuilder
  • RSN2:Army and Ice
Tbh What Psi said
Either way i enjoy both articles.
But the second one i must say although yes most players do just level there skills but thats there interpretation of fun. I know i enjoy leveling up certain skills more than others. And that making some money is fun too.
Posted Image
Clans

tortilliachp
[ Display Name History ]

tortilliachp

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,693 posts
  • RSN:nacho

Way to sound like a [bleep]ing [bleep] Nacho trying to have a go at someone who writes articles for free for the amusement of others. Before you go bashing his work how about we see some of yours? Let me put it "bluntly", your a person who feels everything they think is automatically correct, if someone says something your the first to jump in and "correct" them. Maybe you should keep your opinions to yourself and stop having a go at other people, [bleep]ing moron.

how about http://www.tip.it/ru...x.php?times=411 and http://www.tip.it/ru...x.php?times=446 ?

I'd much appreciate a qualification of why you perceive me as someone with a superiority complex. If you're simply going by my previous post on this topic, i'd simply like to ensure that i credit the users of tif with the ability to discern fact from opinion themselves. I also assume the intellect of the readership.

let me provide an example:

my opinion is that this is the settling of scores:

I'd like to give a special comment to the people who claim this was GeekFest, the people that claimed they would've gone if they knew it was free, the people that demand a Flagstaff be released for everyone, and even the people that complained that the prices of the food and drinks were too high.

the making of mistakes:

And this:
"BESIDES all of the above, I couldn't find a single thing that I liked about this event." means that I DID like all the stuff mentioned... Apparently some people read right past this and saw this as another critical piece of Jagex, while I can't imagine anyone ever doing a better job...

Yes, I meant to write it in this way, because it should make you read it twice...

let us look at the use of the english language here (it has rules that bind us all) by paraphrasing: "except for all of the above, i didn't like anything about the event ; I have mentioned everything positive about the event.

This must have been an incredibly compelling article for you to have read it, never mind felt the need to comment on it? I've always been under the impression that a good writer has to be objective in their views and as this was an article and not a blog ... less personal and more informative should be the point.

actually, i always read the tip.it times and regularly comment on the discussion topics. a post takes 5 minutes, which in my case were spent fishing ingame.

my opinion on the settling of scores and making of mistakes remains. I clearly understood what you wrote, and your neccessary clarifications due to difuse use of English to convey your point. I have no clue where you insinuate that I wished to go to runefest, feel any need to insult those of you who chose going to runefest or feel the out-lash in your article was aimed at me.
I feel insulted because a publication of a high standard (and to which i've contributed) lashes out at a third party.

for your futher comment on the "genre" of your piece as compared to others, i present you with basic criteria for features: http://en.wikipedia....i/Feature_story
i find it degrading that you assume i see a "best article competition" on the event, again you assume the worst of me. however, i expect all pieces published in the tip.it times to hold a high journalistic standard, just as the rest of tip.it holds a higher standard than these forums.

I'm sorry you find the need to personally insult me for sharing my opinion on your article. Isn't the sharing of honest opinion the form of a discussion topic?

Range_This11
[ Display Name History ]

Range_This11

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,427 posts

There are two facts to make. Before skill capes, the two majority reasons for doing a skill would be for money or for fun. post-skill capes, the reasons for doing so also include doing the skill for the cape. Money was often the deciding factor, as if a skill didn't make money, people would not train it, thus making the item produced go up in price, making the skill profitable again. It formed a balance. But with skill capes, that balance was thrown out. People not making money would stop, but they would be replaced by those who just want a cape. You could then say that the money making was still not fun, but now that the skilling makes less money, people have to make money else-were which takes up the time they could have used to have fun.

Basically, in modern RS, to skill you need money, to make money you need to skill. An endless cycle.
In older RS, you could skill to make money, they do random things such as mini-games and quests.(which at the time didn't HAVE to make money or skilling easier to be popular)

Now this is a generalisation and there will be exceptions, but for a general rules it is truth. Skillcapes drove the money out of skilling which drove the fun out of runescape.

Yes, indirectly, skill capes could be cited as the demise of skilling for enjoyment, but without the release of those massive money makers like GWD, DKs, and TDs, skill capes would not have had the effect you claim they have had on skilling.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users