Tip.It Times - 5th September 2010

Racheya

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait a minute... could it be! smellysocks Toad is mod ash! That explains how he gets the updates so quickly!

On another note the article on runefest was good. Makes me wish I was old enough to attend. Sounds like it was a lot better then the complete bust people were expecting.

Melencholy.png

Questcape first achieved: Sept 20, 2009
99 agility march 11th 2010

99 Magic - some point in 2012

Wait a minute... could it be! smellysocks Toad is mod ash! That explains how he gets the updates so quickly!

If it's true that Mod Ash is a Tipiter, it would explain a lot. His/her updates are almost always good. I'm really curious as to who it is.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

If it's true that Mod Ash is a Tipiter, it would explain a lot. His/her updates are almost always good. I'm really curious as to who it is.

I am curious how you guys got

Toad = Mod Ash

am i missing something?

TS. It was a good report. But I, as so many others, resent the rant.

I play, don't consider myself a 'nerd'. I work 8 hrs a day, and RS is unwind time.

I see a level 5, and will say hello. I don't do quests or diaries. does that make me a 'newbie' ?

I'm level 136, don't put it in anyone's face. I go to F2P worlds all the time, to help friends.

Most of us could not even attend RuneFest. It's great that it was good though!!

But, don't Judge the rest of us. It was uncalled for.

And I'm french, so , me english might be so-so :)

.....Andre

Andre the Giant (Gentle Giant)

Toad = Mod Ash

am i missing something?

I don't think Toad is Mod Ash (though you never know). I'm just saying it's interesting that Mod Ash is a Tipiter, and apparently a well-known one.

dgs5.jpg

Toad = Mod Ash

am i missing something?

I don't think Toad is Mod Ash (though you never know). I'm just saying it's interesting that Mod Ash is a Tipiter, and apparently a well-known one.

From personal conversations with Toad, I can be pretty certain that he isn't Mod Ash.

The RuneFest article was interesting, the Article about Achievements and 'Fun', that was boring and just a recycled topic (Like the 'Tricking' topics). Fun is actually subjective

I definitely thought the animated short on the Golden Gnomes was very epic, although it didn't tell that much of a story, mostly animations (albiet very awesome ones).

I submitted many 'Dyk's', this wasn't one of the better ones, so meh.

Some of us aren't as naive as to take everything told to us at face value. Is it possible that the plan from the start was to do refund the money? Sure. Is it probable or likely? Doubtful. Instead, the scenario that was described in that post that I quoted of JMB's is more plausible.

---------------

I

First of all, I would advise you NOT to avoid name calling, the only purpose that serves if any is to indite you as an idiot. Furthermore, think before you post. What he was saying is, that other people have other commitments, not everyone can afford the kind money of it takes for all the other aspects of this trip, including travel. For MMG to come out and say something like he did, can be considered, and was indeed considered offensive. To insinuate that because we can't make it to London and pay all the tickets and whatnot because some of us have bills and other expenditures, we aren't loyal CAN indeed be offensive and was taken as such by some players. Jagex by the looks of it, made a mistake in gauging and oraganizing this event and interest surrounding it and instead of owning up to that, they came up with a BS excuse.

-------------------

Qeltar of Runescoop ALREADY proposed a solution to this(and to even Jagex directly, though not sure of that) back when Runefest was originally announced: a lottery, keep it nice and simple.

-----------------------------

also, on the rant bit...yes it was a bit over the top, but he doesn't direct "shut the hell up" to those who think differently, he directs it to:

2.those complaining that they would've gone to runefest too if they knew that it was free - for not being really dedicated to the game, although once again this is a bit unfair to those with few money

3.those demanding for a flaggstaff

And I took issue to both of those because some people DO have legitimate counterpoints to those, to tell them to just 'shut the hell up', is childish and immature at best.

----------------------

I don't see him bashing those who have another opinion, but simply the idiots who have to feel important, want stuff they don't deserve and are so narrow-minded to believe everyone going there has no real life.

He pretty much said that if you don't agree with any or all of those 4 points you paraphrased earlier, then one should 'shut the hell up' if they happen to opine differently on those 4 points. So that is precisely what he did.

Part 1: I wouldn't say it's so unlikely. If the scenario was right, I'd have no doubts that MMG would lie about it, but it also could be true. Also, as I just read in your beloved Runescoop Thread, Olympia Conference centre is actually SMALLER than vinopolis, so it doesn't seem they had to "scale down in a hurry"

WE DON'T KNOW if it's true. I don't know, and you don't know either. Can we keep it at that? It's useless discussing about beliefs.

Part 2: MMG's wording wasn't the best, to be true, but still I think you're just getting him wrong. Of course it would be great if they could cover travel costs too, but that would cost a lot more, and is it so strange they don't want to spend too much money.

The main problem you have is that he seems to imply that those who didn't go aren't loyal players. But he didn't say that. What he DID say is that those who are at Runefest are loyal players. It's not exclusive though. It doesn't mean they're the only loyal players, duh. He did NOT say you weren't loyal if you didn't come. Get that in your head. He didn't say it.

Part 3:I don't see how a lottery would have the desired effect? Could you go more in-depth about it instead of us having to search Runescoop until we finally find the post you are referring to?

Part 4:I haven't really seen sensible arguments(apart from the one that just not everyone can spare the money) Also, if they can argue sensibly it's OK. I'M sure he's just tired of all the whiners.

Part 5:Almost the same as above. I haven't seen anyone really giving good arguments, so it's getting old. Just accept it.

First: I don't expect many of any of you to remember who I am. Second, those that do remember, please, let it go. I'd like to be left alone.

Just know that I contributed to this community once, and that I am disappointed to see a big argument over something I see as relatively trivial. I thought that overall, the first article was a good one, and I was curious as to what others had to say. I agree somewhat with what Das and others wrote, but I don't think the conflict needed to go as far as it had and I'm not particularly interested whether TS or tortilla was to blame first.

I will change the subject for a moment-- so just wait before winding up any rebuttals. I know how Mod Ash has a presence on Tip.It. But I made a promise to a friend to keep confidentiality; there are fairly good reasons why details have not been provided. I intend to respect and honor those reasons.

I wanted to say that Das is spot on about conventions. I haven't traveled a wide array of them, but I used to be involved in local gaming/SF ones. My sister works for the one that's done in my home area. I've had many, many, many discussions with friends and family about convention stereotypes, so I can say with confidence that Das is right that they exist and that many that live up to them aren't terribly concerned with changing them. Yes, one of them is lack of personal hygiene. My sister said one year they did distribute antideodorant sticks and the like hoping some would get the hint... I don't know if any did.

Of course, similar stereotypes have been WELL documented about MIT students. Steven Levy's "Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution" is one, speaking of so-called "computer nerds" in general. (Click here for Levy's thoughts today looking back on the subject.) There's some crossovers from that culture, particularly at Linux conventions, but the easier comparison is how so many video gamers use hacker lingo: own, woot, pwn, etc.

In short-- conventions ARE a geeky and nerdy thing much of the time, and many of us are much more comfortable with it now. I mean, really, guys. I know some of you are old enough to remember when the jock vs. nerd divide was much bigger than it is now, and only so-called nerds used computers. The term was nerd and rarely anyone used "geek", which I think many people are more comfortable with.

I read the article, I enjoyed it. I did not feel jealous; I can't even afford to go to the local con every February a mere 15 minutes from my home. Nobody minds particularly much; those who know me well know I have two small children and those who know me quite well understand my eight-year old was often bored at the con even when they had "kid's activities". I married into a geek family but my parents-in-law no longer attend conventions nor roll the dice and create characters for D&D. (There's other things they are plenty geeky about and such qualities I continue to adore.)

I don't give a lab rat's furry white butt what people think of me playing Runescape. Sure, go ahead and ask those here that remember me here, they most assuredly will say I am bent on doing my own thing, including how I play the game. Don't get me wrong; I would have cared maybe more in my high school and college days, except... I didn't, really. I cared what people thought of me, yes, but I pursued my interests anyway. Not all of them were geeky/nerdy so not all of my friends and acquaintances were that way or are that way. But oh yep, YEP I have met the single people living in their mom's basement and the social reclusives and all that and I can name names, although I don't think it's important to do so.

Statements like "shut the hell up!" and the whole flames that erupted on this thread probably could have stayed behind closed doors-- that is, private messages and the like. I could be leaking into the wind saying so, metaphorically speaking, because I see in the Age of Facebook, people seem to be letting it all hang out, including a total lack of manners-- but again, that's just a general trend, and cannot be construed to mean every person on the 'Net. Well, I don't intend such, anyways.

I'll leave y'all to keep hashing it out however you want; this is a rare appearance for me anyways.

Part 1: I wouldn't say it's so unlikely. If the scenario was right, I'd have no doubts that MMG would lie about it, but it also could be true. Also, as I just read in your beloved Runescoop Thread, Olympia Conference centre is actually SMALLER than vinopolis, so it doesn't seem they had to "scale down in a hurry"

WE DON'T KNOW if it's true. I don't know, and you don't know either. Can we keep it at that? It's useless discussing about beliefs.

Discussion opinions is the very purpose of being part of a forum, so I don't see how that is useless. The thing about Ren was actually posted a bit later but point conceded on that, Ren is a pretty reliable source. I still DO think they scaled it down. According to some of the other people that attended the event, apparently some 50 people showed up or so(this figured was tossed around on the DG Elites forums but I am not sure.)

Part 2: MMG's wording wasn't the best, to be true, but still I think you're just getting him wrong. Of course it would be great if they could cover travel costs too, but that would cost a lot more, and is it so strange they don't want to spend too much money.

I wasn't proposing that he cover travel costs(though that would be nice :shades:), I was simply saying that using that terminology when a lot of people have other commitments, to say it was to weed out those who more or less weren't willing to spend what was probably a costly ticket price, was offensive, to insinuate that players who couldn't do afford it were somehow less loyal or part of the immature, undesirables. It came off that way at least to a lot of people, I wasn't particularly irritated by it but others were and I kind of understand why.

Part 3:I don't see how a lottery would have the desired effect? Could you go more in-depth about it instead of us having to search Runescoop until we finally find the post you are referring to?

My mistake, I thought a lottery would be pretty self explanatory. By the way, please don't assume that I am trying to advertise Runescoop, I found something interesting so I linked to it, nothing more nothing less. Basically with a lottery, they would just have a lottery with everyone in, and they would draw names, that gives everyone somewhat of a fair chance, and if your name is drawn, you are invited to the event(no tickets or whatever). Simple as that. No need for this whole 'we were just testing you, we were going to refund the money from the start' sham. It would be setup like a P-Mod Invite thing(though it would be random), an invited player whom's name is drawn can reply with 'Yes' or 'No', 'yes' meaning they will attend and thus can bear the other expenses of travel, and no meaning they can't, hence there is another draw.

Part 4:I haven't really seen sensible arguments(apart from the one that just not everyone can spare the money) Also, if they can argue sensibly it's OK. I'M sure he's just tired of all the whiners.

A lot of players have given solid arguments. For one thing, at a time like this when Jagex should be trying to unify players, they were instead divisive. Putting out somewhat of a costly(depending on who you are) event(with all expenditures considered) and then rewarding those who payed with an in-game item, has somewhat of RWT feel to it doesn't it? Again, I don't think that is the path they should be going. Like any other holiday item, I think the Flagstaff should have been more widely available.

Part 5:Almost the same as above. I haven't seen anyone really giving good arguments, so it's getting old. Just accept it.

It isn't old, considering plenty of people have given plenty of arguments against those 4 points, or some of them at least.

Well, discussing about beliefs/opinions is useless if you can't really argue because you don't have reliable sources of information. Both could be true, I have seen indicators for both, and wether you believe one or the other version is just up to you.

I can see too how people can be offended, but as that wasn't what MMG intended to say, I wouldn't be so enraged about it. All he did is failing at using good wording, so there's no reason to fell insulted about his lack of talent there, is there ;)?

the lottery: Indeed, a lottery is self-explanatory, I just asked because I couldn't see how this would change anything. And I still can't, sorry.

Regarding the Flaggstaff - yes it wasn't the wisest thing to do. However, I feel it would be even more stupid to change the policy now. They shouldn't have handled it like that, but I think giving in now would be even worse.

Discussion opinions is the very purpose of being part of a forum, so I don't see how that is useless. The thing about Ren was actually posted a bit later but point conceded on that, Ren is a pretty reliable source. I still DO think they scaled it down. According to some of the other people that attended the event, apparently some 50 people showed up or so(this figured was tossed around on the DG Elites forums but I am not sure.)

With regards to the mention of the 50 or so people ... Could you clarify what you mean by this statement? Im sorry if its a poor question and I'm reading it wrong, it just caught my interest as to the context.

A friend is one that knows you as you are, understands where you have been, accepts what you have become, and still, gently allows you to grow. – William Shakespeare

Lunna_Dawn.png

“Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.”
Dalai Lama XIV

Nice Runefest video, wonderful laughters =) haha cabbage pwned.

Skills grinding, makes me lol, because I do skills the way I enjoy them.

Some things may appear to be grinding but not, while others are really grinding. People do skills for the sake of skilling and efficiency, agreed. Which is like, no fun, no enjoyment, they aren't really playing a game, but aiming for something else.

Indeed, I can't put myself to grinding.. I don't have a 90 yet, not to mention 99.

Players of runescape, I wonder how many play with the mindset of having fun doing random things at times... Oh well..

Yeah, like that zaryte bow

wait

recharge costs = ammo.

So, all melee weapons are overpowered, at least.

this combat triangle finally makes sense...

Looks like some things again need some clarifying again (mainly towards Yomi?)...

I've never stated people aren't allowed to voice their own opinion. Nor have I told people to shut up about mine. The only people (I will include reasons why) that should "shut the hell up" are these:

- The people claiming they wouldn't want to be caught dead at a thing like RuneFest, which they then rapidly dubbed the whole thing a GeekFest. I think I can safely asume 100% of the people that read my article at one point played RuneScape. Some of these players are a lot more tenacious then others, and a small portion love to completely immerse themselves in the world of RuneScape, and an even smaller portion of that last group could be found (amongst others) at Runefest. One fact stands out here. We all play runescape. The only thing that varies is the level of commitment to the game and immersion in its world. Hence the very first group of people (the ones that would never attend somethign like RuneFest) have no right to call it Geekfest, because they themselves are part of the very same experience. The only difference is the level.

- The people that claim that they would have attended RuneFest if it was free. In no way did I try to imply the cost of travel, hotels and other expenses in this. Nor did I suggest you should skip a month's rent to attend RuneFest. The people I mean with my statement are the ones that said right after the ticket price change that if they knew the ticket was going to be free, they would have ordered one. These people in my eyes are no better then the ones shouting "phr33 st00f pl0x!" at the GE. Jagex has decided to walk this path to be able to make the Runefest 010 group consist mostly of true fans to the game. This does not imply that if you could not afford a ticket (for whatever reason) you are not a true fan of RuneScape, a distinction lost on many on these forums. I agree that Jagex had to do something to achieve that goal, and so far noone has come up with a better solution to reach it. Whoever suggested it, a lottery would not have achieved this.

- The people that want a Flagstaff, even though they have had nothing to do with RuneFest. Pretty self explanatory, but in light of recent comments, here goes. I was not around when certain Holiday Items were given out. I do not have a Scythe or a Rubber Chicken, and I do not think I deserve one even though for some reason Jagex is handing out old emotes and items for new holidays. I will not be at a RuneFest if it is held in the U.S. so I will miss out on whatever item they give for that. Do I complain? No. I was not there, so I do not deserve it. Neither do people deserve the Flagstaff that have had nothing to do with RuneFest.

The food price issue at RuneFest itself can only be commented on by people who attended RuneFest. Fortunately, most of those people tend to agree with me, so that saves me at least one explanation :)

Jonananas seems to be one of the few who has understood what exactly I meant, kudos to him. To the rest an apology again if you felt offended or got surprised by the little rant bit, as I previously stated and as you may have already argued; it was probably not directed at you, unless you fit in one of the above named categories.

Peace

PS: RuneFest saw (and I am a poor estimater) anywhere between 400 and 600 people attending. So where number 50 comes from, I don't know.

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

He didn't say anything about pre-runefest events to me. I see only one possibility to read his comment and that is that to what he heard, about 50 people attended Runefest. Obviously, if you had only one look at a video, you could see that's not true. So I'm interested in how the DG Elite forum came up with that number...

Also, I just had a look at the vinopolis and olympia conference centre, and while I do not know which party Jagex booked, Vinopolis looks a lot bigger to me. I don't think any "scaling down" was happening here.

50 was an approximation of the people at the London Eye and pre-runefest events, that's how i read it at least

Ah... I was there, but counting heads on the pictures, the estimate I made on the article was more or less correct as I can find no more then 42 individuals (even though we expected almost 60 people to show up) on the pictures

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Finally read the articles.

Article #1: I enjoyed the read. If I lived in London, I definitely would've gone. It sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Article #2: Yet another "you don't play how I play, therefore urdoinitrong." I'm an efficient player. I have fun playing Runescape. If you can prove that having fun and being efficient cannot coexist, you'll have a point.

dgs5.jpg