Why Do You Play RS Over Other MMOs?

Maze

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always played it, so my account's all my work, and I'd hate to lose some 120 days work. It still keeps me interested, and it's cheaper than others. Even free for the first 3 years I played it.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

Runescape was the first one I tried. :unsure:

Plus I have horrible motor skills, so runescape is great. :thumbup:

Thank you for being honest :thumbup:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Runescape was the first one I tried. :unsure:

Plus I have horrible motor skills, so runescape is great. :thumbup:

Thank you for being honest :thumbup:

Do you have some sort of superiority thing going here?

Nope, I just appreciate honesty. Most people would lie instead of saying that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I have WoW and RS memberships so I dip in between the two, RS is nice because I've spent a lot of time on it and there's that sense of achievement that comes with it. WoW is obviously a lot better graphics wise, but it offers something different in terms of gameplay so it's nice to have a bit of variety.

Rotations = spell rotation. WoW combat isn't spamming, it's knowing exactly when to pop certain spells, dealing with several different cooldowns, responding to the other player within a split second, dealing with and using crowd controls, etc.

Orite, gotcha.

Used kinda an obscure term there, so its all cleared up.

(P.S. Runescape doesn't require real reflexes, your actions don't occur in real time)

Its real time enough to matter, ticks take like half a second or something and you can't suddenly stop it to do various things at once.

If you see claws, you better fkin sharkbrew fast otherwise your screwed, that being said its probably not up there with WoW assuming your not overexaggerating.

When they play a game that actually requires reflexes and skill they call it a bad game.

MMO's in general don't take a lot of "skill" in the strictest sense of the word. Half the time is spent min-maxing your stats and weaponry, and in runescapes case you often have to just put faith in your random number generator. Still, its alot of fun (for me at least).

O.O

It's fun. It's cheap/free. It isn't cash-shop based. And it doesn't feel like grinding as much as other games: There are other skills to train but combat. Some other games, only have combat, which gets extremely boring.

Though, in essence, no matter which MMOG you play or what you do in it, it's all just clicking the same mousekeys over and over again for many, many hours.

summersignature.png angel2w.gif

"A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do"

[Currently playing: K1ll L1f3]

Let's see. For me the best thing is that it's totally free (I'm f2p). The 2 main things because I'm f2p is that I promised myself 6 years ago that I will not pay Jagex my money and second, I play only occasionally, once over 2 days and so on, so there is no point for me to pay money while being offline. Quick calculation shows that I have saved about 450 dollars of imaginary money. If I would play another game, the money could be 2 or 3 times bigger. So much win from here. Actually I can't divide by zero, so actual money save is "error".

The other thing I like about runescape is the highscores. I'm not sure if many other MMO-s have same thing but I like it. Let's pretend that I have rc 99 with 100m xp, which probably gets me place in top 10 rc-ers, it makes me proud. Runescape let's players to be unique and famous, instead of WoW, where mostly anyone are lvl 80 (I'm sorry if I interpreted somehow wrong, I haven't player WoW, my "facts" are based on readings). Here I can be anything.

Most of the people like browser based thingy also, like me. Play runescape and browse web. If runescape wasn't browser based then I definitely wouldn't play it.

In the end anyone plays what he likes and that's it. No need to make contest and fights which MMO is best.

581st to Cooking 99 [June 2005]-------------71537th to Hitpoints 99 [December 2009]

233rd to Firemaking 99 [February 2006]----65875th to Defence 99 [February 2010]

822nd to Woodcutting 99 [March 2006]------95249th to Attack 99 [April 2010]

576th to Fishing 99 [september 2006]-------14016th to Crafting 99 [January 2011]

83541st to Strength 99 [May 2009]----------124340th to Magic 99 [June 2011]

23885th to Smithing 99 [september 2011]--XXXXXXth to Ranged 99 [October 2012]

F2p forever ...

I've always liked a good storyline, so:

Quests.

Also, Runescape quests require you to think. Not just "Take item y to point x and kill monster z". Some of the puzzles in the game are really well done and hard (mourning ends part II and Elemental workshop III)

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

It's due to the fact that it's the very first computer game that I played (not counting some random flash crap).

I tried playing other games but always end up going back to Runescape.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I went to reconsider. My reason: Quests. I've played other (just as crap) MMORPGS, and all their quests are "Obtain 50 potato scales from potato dinosaurs so I can boil them into medicine" or something. Runescape doesn't do that (except with stuff like the Cryptic Clue Fest and several... fetching quests).

Probably the depth in this game. You can basically never get bored, nor finish it.

Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)

Dagannoth kings drops: 73

Barrows item count: 51

GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)

Whips: 4

Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

I am a Massive WoW fanboy which also makes me massively biased so if you say you like Runescape over it you are obviously lying to yourself.

Thats pretty much all I see when I read your posts. I have only played WoW for like an hour so I can't really comment on its endgame. But in that hour I experienced its pretty bland art style and uninspired quest system. I simply don't understand when people bash Runescapes graphics yet say WoW's are awesome.

The only other MMO I have ever played on a regular basis is PSO/PSU but those are console MMO's so slightly different. Probably my favourite simply because of the 100% real-time combat.

As for why I play Runescape, I think its a large combination of things that keep me playing. It's interesting that a lot of people stick around for the PvP which I hardly ever really participate in. I think its the cheap price and variety in gameplay that just makes it unique to other MMO's.

Sylpheed.png

I like the non-combat aspect and freedom of RS.

Of course, the main reason is that it's cheap - I can't afford any other MMO. Also I've been playing it through my childhood and I don't let go of my past easily. :D And it plays on my [cabbage]ty laptop and I can play through a browser wherever I am :)

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Well when I started playing RuneScape I didn't really consciously choose to play it over other games. It's just the first one I found, thus I played it. However that being said, I think I stuck with it so long because RuneScape offers a great feeling of accomplishment when completing a goal. I haven't found this in many other games. For example, I have played LOTRO and while there are accomplishments, they're all pretty easy and expected of most players. But in RuneScape I have always felt a huge sense of achievement when completing a goal or getting a 99 because it takes a lot of patience and dedication. It can take weeks, months or years to obtain.. but at the same time, it doesn't feel like a meaningless achievement. In LOTRO I could complete every single deed and it would in fact take weeks, months or years.. but it would feel meaningless to me.

But that being said, I've also gotten incredibly bored of RuneScape because of the massive grind :P

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I am a Massive WoW fanboy which also makes me massively biased so if you say you like Runescape over it you are obviously lying to yourself.

Thats pretty much all I see when I read your posts. I have only played WoW for like an hour so I can't really comment on its endgame. But in that hour I experienced its pretty bland art style and uninspired quest system. I simply don't understand when people bash Runescapes graphics yet say WoW's are awesome.

WoW's graphics are a lot better than RS graphics, especially when you get the later expansion packs such as Lich King.

WoW's graphics are a lot better than RS graphics, especially when you get the later expansion packs such as Lich King.

I never said Rs graphics were better than WoW so I don't know why you felt the need to say that. Clearly WoW's graphics are better than Runescape's but thats not saying a whole lot now is it?

Sylpheed.png

I never said Rs graphics were better than WoW so I don't know why you felt the need to say that. Clearly WoW's graphics are better than Runescape's but thats not saying a whole lot now is it?

You said you couldn't understand why people say WoW graphics were awesome when you'd only played an hour, I was just pointing out that they get a lot better later on in the game.