Why Do You Play RS Over Other MMOs?

Maze

Being good at Runescape usually means being efficient

Thanks for proving again why Runescape is a bad game. No skill involved. Simply clicking, knowledge, and efficiency. It's a glorified spreadsheet.

Keep it coming kids! You're "arguments" amuse me. :lol:

Clicking and knowledge? Isn't that what most games are? :-s

I mean, compare with something like a RTS game. It's just clicking, knowledge, and resource management (which is basically efficiency), right?

Look, don't get me wrong, I'm not one to argue that RS is a skill-intensive game, because tbh it really isn't. But it's not because all you do is click. It has more to do with the grind-based structure of the game, not the mechanics and the interface. You can have a turn-based strategy game that's deep, complex, and very skill-intensive, and it would still consist of the characteristics you're deriding.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, don't get me wrong, I'm not one to argue that RS is a skill-intensive game, because tbh it really isn't. But it's not because all you do is click. It has more to do with the grind-based structure of the game, not the mechanics and the interface.

Agreed, fair point. :thumbup:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for proving again why Runescape is a bad game. No skill involved. Simply clicking, knowledge, and efficiency. It's a glorified spreadsheet.

Though im inclined to agree, i can't help but think this applies to other mmo's.

Sure, the clicking is often changed into key presses, but its really the same thing at its core.

O.O

Look, don't get me wrong, I'm not one to argue that RS is a skill-intensive game, because tbh it really isn't. But it's not because all you do is click. It has more to do with the grind-based structure of the game, not the mechanics and the interface.

Agreed, fair point. :thumbup:

Lol, well have fun arguing over a subjective concept (read: fun). It's an exercise in futility, but hey, it's your time, kid.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

This is all strictly opinion... >.>

#1. Affordable

$15/month for World of Warcraft is a bit much for me.The $5.95 + International Transaction Fees is a little more affordable, and even if I do end up stopping membership for a bit, I still have a game to play when I want to with the same character, just different environment, versus with WoW I'd have nothing at all except a character waiting for me to come back when I have the $15/month to pay for it again.

#2. Simplicity of Control

Honestly, I don't like going all over the keyboard trying to smash in commands to put out Areas of Enchantment and whatnot. :P

#3. Size & Content

WoW's just too big for me to wrap my head around. I literally have to keep a browser with at least half a dozen tabs open to double check so many things involved with the game that half the time I'm standing in game reading stuff off the game screen. I'm not a fan of constantly downloading add-ons to make it easier either. At least with RuneScape I can more or less remember most of the stuff, even with members.

[hide]

#1. Affordable

$15/month for World of Warcraft is a bit much for me.The $5.95 + International Transaction Fees is a little more affordable, and even if I do end up stopping membership for a bit, I still have a game to play when I want to with the same character, just different environment, versus with WoW I'd have nothing at all except a character waiting for me to come back when I have the $15/month to pay for it again.

Honestly, I don't like going all over the keyboard trying to smash in commands to put out Areas of Enchantment and whatnot. :P

#3. Size & Content

WoW's just too big for me to wrap my head around. I literally have to keep a browser with at least half a dozen tabs open to double check so many things involved with the game that half the time I'm standing in game reading stuff off the game screen. I'm not a fan of constantly downloading add-ons to make it easier either. At least with RuneScape I can more or less remember most of the stuff, even with members.

[/hide]

*waits for Shady to troll with more opinions which he calls facts.*

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

[hide]

#1. Affordable

#3. Size & Content

[/hide]

>.> Thus why I put it biiiiig letters that it was all opinion.

A bit off topic, but I hope that you all can try to at least respect each other on their opinion of the matter, rather than insisting that each other are wrong. You can agree to disagree, but don't go saying "OMG YOUR OPINION IS INVALID." :|

Started playing it back in 2001 and I know how long it takes to feel you have completed an MMORPG, so I really don't feel like going through the entire process again to get a satisfactory character. So instead I continue to level my one main character to give me time for other things in my life =)

Exbajalator.png

[hide]

#1. Affordable

#3. Size & Content

[/hide]

A bit off topic, but I hope that you all can try to at least respect each other on their opinion of the matter, rather than insisting that each other are wrong. You can agree to disagree, but don't go saying "OMG YOUR OPINION IS INVALID." :|

You do realize that's exactly what shady has been doing this whole thread.....right?

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

[hide]

#1. Affordable

#3. Size & Content

[/hide]

You do realize that's exactly what shady has been doing this whole thread.....right?

Thus why I'm saying. I hope it stops.

I still think shady is ONLY trying to troll, but on the off chance that he really isn't, and just got so frustrated the only retort he could think of was to call everyone who disagrees with him "Kid", I'll post this. I do believe one area in which we differ originally was the definition of "Good". That word can have SOOOO many different meanings, it really is quite a poor choice. I was using "good" to mean, in part, "fun", whilst I think it is probable that Shady meant "good" to mean "In depth, better UI, etc." If that was the case, then you were trying to argue a different point then I was, and there is little wondering why you are confused. If the only thing that makes a game "good" is the graphics, then Of COURSE WoW is better.

^ The above is obviously a kid who grinds, and has no life. [/sarcasm]

Insults and minor flaming are not only allowed on TIF, but also have their place in debates, altercations, and arguments. However, if your only argument is based simply on insulting others, rather then say, saying how a persons line of logic is idiotic and wrong, then you have No argument, and in fact are liable to be labeled a troll (And rightly so)

As well, it is better to be thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I play RS because of the OP. I have seen/heard about other people exactly like him, and as far as I can tell the insanely obvious trolls are lesser on RS then WOW.

Note: The moment they insult you, they have no argument.

Are you accusing me of trolling?

Because I'm not trying to, I'm just curious why people who play RS like it more than other MMOs.

I've just gotten RS members back myself.

I play RS because of the OP. I have seen/heard about other people exactly like him, and as far as I can tell the insanely obvious trolls are lesser on RS then WOW.

Note: The moment they insult you, they have no argument.

Are you accusing me of trolling?

Because I'm not trying to, I'm just curious why people who play RS like it more than other MMOs.

I've just gotten RS members back myself.

Fairly sure he is talking about shady.

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

Insults and minor flaming are not only allowed on TIF, but also have their place in debates, altercations, and arguments. However, if your only argument is based simply on insulting others, rather then say, saying how a persons line of logic is idiotic and wrong, then you have No argument, and in fact are liable to be labeled a troll (And rightly so)

Not sure where you're getting that idea :P Insults and flaming are not allowed on Tip.it. As per the rules:

Heated debates are allowed across the entire forum and we are more lenient when it comes to banter between users in the PvP forums only. However, we always draw the line at personal attacks. Unacceptable forms of flaming include intentionally posting false arguments, intentionally misquoting other users, posting flames or personal attacks for no other purpose than to incite a negative reaction, annoying others or disrupting a discussion. Posts that are disparaging toward any religion, race, nation, social status, gender, or sexual orientation are strictly forbidden. Debate opinions or challenge ideas, but do not insult the people behind them.

"However, we always draw the line at personal attacks."

That means no flaming, no name-calling, etc. So let's just take it down a notch guys. I have no problem if you want to continue the debate, but let's leave anything personal out of it. For instance, the whole "kid" argument was getting kind of old.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

"Minor flaming" is allowed as per the rules, I could of sworn. I even copied and pasted that rule in a PM to a moderator before. This would include minor insults (Which are not the same as personal attacks, anyone who thinks so...)

Stonewall337.png

"Minor flaming" is allowed as per the rules, I could of sworn. I even copied and pasted that rule in a PM to a moderator before. This would include minor insults (Which are not the same as personal attacks, anyone who thinks so...)

That part was edited out of the rules months ago due to the incorrect interpretation of it. You may PM me if you have any further questions regarding the rules :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

That part was edited out of the rules months ago due to the incorrect interpretation of it. You may PM me if you have any further questions regarding the rules :)

Nah, that answers it. Thanks.

Stonewall337.png

I play runescape because:

1: its browser based

2: Its wicked hard to max out.

3: I can solo play

4: The interface is easy

5: And this is the single most important one. I can play runescape and maintain a full conversation with my girlfriend so she doesent feel like i am ignoring her.

Rule 5 is the big one for me. I actually started playing wow a few months back and my girlfriend actually begged me to go back to runescape the other day.

Fools_Taco.png

I usually read and rarely post, hence my 1k post count since 2004. Today, I am posting :ohnoes:

---------

Seems to be a lot of flaming and petty squabbling here, pulling away from the initial question, which is - Why do you play RS over other MMOs.

See, the title isn't, prove why RS is a BETTER game than other MMOs, because doing so conflicts with personal interests which simply can't be changed. So instead of arguging for and against the game, argue why you play it / don't play it.

So for me, a HUGE factor, is time spent. Using WoW as an example, when you begin a raid with a guild, you basically have to commit your time and full attention to it. This can go on for hours, playing the same game. Sure you can leave, but the way raiding is done in WoW it's a huge inconvienence and a hassle to find someone else.

Rs in comparison is a casual social game. I'm not suggesting WoW can't be, but most of the time it is. I can log on to RS and spend as much time as I want without being tied to it. This doesn't suggest it's a better game, as I definetly believe it isn't, it just suits my lifestyle more.

------------

So shady and others, try to stick to the title instead of aruging the quality of the game.

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

Rs in comparison is a casual social game. I'm not suggesting WoW can't be, but most of the time it is. I can log on to RS and spend as much time as I want without being tied to it. This doesn't suggest it's a better game, as I definetly believe it isn't, it just suits my lifestyle more.

I'd have to agree.

I usually have a lot of homework, so finding time to do raiding and such is hard for me to do. In RS, I can just play and take as much time as I want doing whatever.

2: Its wicked hard to max out.

It's not "hard" to max out, it's simply time consuming.

Draw the distinction.

And don't try to give me the cop out answer of "you're trolling." Most of you don't know what trolling is if you think i'm trolling. (Protip: Insulting people doesn't mean you're a troll - that's called flaming)

-------------------------------------------------------------------