9/11 attacks

Flodder450

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People should never want or try to forget 9/11. Shame on anyone who thinks so.

I'm not saying people should try to forget, what I'm trying to say is get over it.

I don't mind mourning 9/11. But last year my teacher made some argument that the war in Iraq was justified because of 9/11, and that's just [bleep]ing stupid.

Did you tell her that?

I'm not saying people should try to forget, what I'm trying to say is get over it.

That's very sensitive and considerate to the thousands of people who lost family members that day.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

That's very sensitive and considerate to the thousands of people who lost family members that day.

You're the one being inconsiderate. If anyone lost a family member or a friend, maybe they should celebrate their lives instead of how they died? 9/11 is an event everyone should get over, and even forgive and forget. On the other hand, the wonderful lives of thousands of people should never be forgotten. We spend too much time concerned about death to appreciate the life that comes before it.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

You're the one being inconsiderate. If anyone lost a family member or a friend, maybe they should celebrate their lives instead of how they died? 9/11 is an event everyone should get over, and even forgive and forget. On the other hand, the wonderful lives of thousands of people should never be forgotten. We spend too much time concerned about death to appreciate the life that comes before it.

As it is with everything else in life. Death sells, if you didn't know that you haven't been paying attention.

As it is with everything else in life. Death sells, if you didn't know that you haven't been paying attention.

True, but the act of 'commemorating' it consistently for 9 years sounds much more like a dangerous and violent grudge than simply sorrow for those who are lost, when you consider the numbers of lives lost in natural disasters, poverty, or vehicle accidents each year. We seem to be dealing with something far more sinister than mourning. After all, who remembers the date when Sri Lanka was hit by a tsunami?

~ W ~

sigzi.png

True, but the act of 'commemorating' it consistently for 9 years sounds much more like a dangerous and violent grudge than simply sorrow for those who are lost, when you consider the numbers of lives lost in natural disasters, poverty, or vehicle accidents each year. We seem to be dealing with something far more sinister than mourning. After all, who remembers the date when Sri Lanka was hit by a tsunami?

The one on December 26th? :razz: Not many of us here are from Sri Lanka, hence why we wouldn't know offhand (I have my reasons though :lol: ), much like how 9/11 is completely different for the Americans here than the Europeans.

There's a difference with those though. Natural disasters are beyond our control, while deaths as a result of poverty and vehicle accidents are and have been a constant throughout society over the centuries. 9/11 on the other hand, was a terrorist attack on a single day. It happened within the lifetimes of everyone on this board, and many of us remember it.

It really isn't a grudge either. Most of us aren't using this as an excuse to condemn everything that has to do with Islam. It's a day to honor those that died. If Wikipedia is to be believed it's actually less a grudge than the UK's Guy Fawkes Night historically was.

The one on December 26th? :razz: Not many of us here are from Sri Lanka, hence why we wouldn't know offhand (I have my reasons though :lol: ), much like how 9/11 is completely different for the Americans here than the Europeans.

There's a difference with those though. Natural disasters are beyond our control, while deaths as a result of poverty and vehicle accidents are and have been a constant throughout society over the centuries. 9/11 on the other hand, was a terrorist attack on a single day. It happened within the lifetimes of everyone on this board, and many of us remember it.

It really isn't a grudge either. Most of us aren't using this as an excuse to condemn everything that has to do with Islam. It's a day to honor those that died. If Wikipedia is to be believed it's actually less a grudge than the UK's Guy Fawkes Night historically was.

Nice catch. icon_e_smile.gif Oh, Guy Fawkes night, or at least at a time closer to the gunpowder plot, is the mother of all grudges. It just lasted so long that it turned to a tradition.

I ask you this, do we honour and discuss those who died in that tsunami every year to this date? Over 200,000 people died in that catastrophe, and huge inhabited areas were razed to the ground, as compared to a few thousand people in two skyscrapers and a few planes, and the tsunami occurred more recently. If we apply the difference that you mentioned, where someone or a group caused the event, suddenly everyone wants to commemorate it every day. Logically, people are commemorating this repeatedly for 9 years because Al Quaeda (not Islam, although we've all heard about stupid people who think this is a war on Islam) caused it. It just sounds like a grudge to me.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Yes, how do you define grudge?

a. You killed my mother, I will hunt you down and shred your scrotum.

b. Wow, [bleep] move brah. I ought to spit in your cheetos.

a. Your neigbors, friends, third cousins, uncle killed my mother! I will hunt you down and kill you your nephew, your brother, the mail man who delivers your mail, and any cab driver you've ever driven with!

fixed for you.

michel555555.png

[spoiler=click you know you wanna]
Me behave? Seriously? As a child I saw Tarzan almost naked, Cinderella arrived home from a party after midnight, Pinocchio told lies, Aladin was a thief, Batman drove over 200 miles an hour, Snow White lived in a house with seven men, Popeye smoked a pipe and had tattoos, Pac man ran around to digital music while eating pills that enhanced his performance, and Shaggy and Scooby were mystery solving hippies who always had the munchies. The fault is not mine! if you had this childhood and loved it put this in your signature!

I agree the mourning needs to move on, but its a significant event people fail to see that. This was American History being written. And from now on it will be in every American History textbook on the shelves. Not because of the amount of people that lost their lives, but it was the first real, successful, attack on the US lower 48 by an outside source since 1775. Thats huge. That sends shockwaves. The only one in between that was Japan's attack on Hawaii.

What about the attacks during the War of 1812, the Civil War, and various attacks by submarines/Japanese balloon attacks?

I'm sorry, but I'm getting a bit sick of this.

I sorta agree, sorry fellow Americans! :(

I know this was a horror for thousands of american families, especially the ones who had victims in either World Trade Center or the brave NYPD, but the thing is, is that we've been sulking and remorsing over the past for 9 years. We need to get up and get over it. Im not saying to forget it completly, but yeah, it happened.

The real focus is what we need to do now.

Sorry if I have offended anyone.

Screenshot2011-08-18at14818PM-1.png

I'll believe that when it happens to you. It's unfair to try to put yourself in their shoes.

That's very sensitive and considerate to the *hundreds* of thousands of Iraqis, Afghanis, and soldiers who were killed during the past nine years.

I never made any reference to that. I certainly don't expect their families to "just get over it".

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I'm not trying to be inconsiderate either, it's just we keep hearing about it every year, if it can just be remembered and that everyone got over it, like the pearl harbor attack or other, everyone would be better off. I'm not expecting people that lost relatives that day to get over it that soon either, but life goes on.

I agree the mourning needs to move on, but its a significant event people fail to see that. This was American History being written. And from now on it will be in every American History textbook on the shelves. Not because of the amount of people that lost their lives, but it was the first real, successful, attack on the US lower 48 by an outside source since 1775. Thats huge. That sends shockwaves. The only one in between that was Japan's attack on Hawaii.

What about the attacks during the War of 1812, the Civil War, and various attacks by submarines/Japanese balloon attacks?

we like to conveniently forget that the British torched DC in 1812 :rolleyes:

We also like to forget that the Japanese bombed Oregon in WW2 (although it was unsuccessful).

The Civil War wasn't really a outside source though.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

I ask you this, do we honour and discuss those who died in that tsunami every year to this date? Over 200,000 people died in that catastrophe, and huge inhabited areas were razed to the ground, as compared to a few thousand people in two skyscrapers and a few planes, and the tsunami occurred more recently. If we apply the difference that you mentioned, where someone or a group caused the event, suddenly everyone wants to commemorate it every day. Logically, people are commemorating this repeatedly for 9 years because Al Quaeda (not Islam, although we've all heard about stupid people who think this is a war on Islam) caused it. It just sounds like a grudge to me.

9/11 showed the horrors of what hatred and extremism can do. Commemorating it might be fueled by grudges for some people, but to others it's a way of saying that we should really make some moral progress with our humanity, learn to be more tolerant and peaceful, etc. There's more to it than the death tolls. I do not think that the victims should be treated any different, but the situations definitely should be.

I still remember hearing it on the radio in my classroom in Grade 2. To me, living so far away and being unaffected by it (since no one I know personally was directly or indirectly involved), it's easy to overlook it, but to those directly involved it must've been a nightmare beyond imagination.

j0xPu5R.png

I swear if I see another 9/11 thread next year I'm telling everyone that it's national bring your plane to work day.

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!