Tip.It Times - 19th September 2010

Racheya

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to me :)

Enjoy the articles!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I have to agree with the first article, they are nice when we have them, specially as this time I got to take advantage of it, but they don't need to come around again.

It may only be a game economy but it still doesn't need the massive upset that happens from pre-announcing these weekends. Maybe an alternative would be to create more items like the penance horn and SC items that are slightly easier to obtain.

All in all a very good article.

There has never been more truth said then in the second article. I find it horribly annoying to see new names in my friends list when I log on after a break. It leaves you feeling as though you don't have the people you used to. As someone who has played for about 7 years now I had filled my friends list a few times over the years, but in the advent of the name changes and taking a break at the same time, I'm left with only 6 people on my list now, because I just don't know who is who anymore.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

Hi

I read the "Reflecting Upon Bonus XP Weekend" article and despite some of my fellow players complain about Bonus XP Weekends I simply love them as they help me getting to chew a small chunk off those hard and endless levels (look at my stats, I'm not even beginning to feel the pain and agony of what still lies ahead yet !)

Regarding the impact on the RS economy then I think it's only going to be a bit crazy for a short time and that supply and demand will revert back its natural levels after a while.

I hope Jagex will continue have these weekends as long as they don't make them more than two per year.

I liked the Bonus weekends, and I hope more will come in the future.

I really don't get why some people support updates that make it easier to train a skill, and is all about efficiency, while laughing and putting down others who like to do things an old fashioned way, but HATES these double exp weekends. I mean they make skills faster to train, and that's what it's all about right?

Staurolite.png

I don't understand the upset about the economy. I normally don't earn money because it is to boring, now with the double XP weekend I could have fun while earning 3m (I had banked 6m). I have gained some xp on herblfore and still made my money. I enjoyed the bonus XP and I would like to see another one.

About the names, some are indeed impossible to gues why I added them, a eternal reference to the original name would be nice.

StGerolf.png

As for the exp weekend.... I like them. Honestly, I think it's good to have then every now and then. It messes with the economy, but....eh. I can live with it, I guess. I think the trick is to limit them enough. Even 2 a year seems a little high to me.... but I think they SHOULD do at least 1 per year.

As for name-changing, I think the whole problem is you can change them once a month. I don't think a perm-limit on them is a good idea, but rather extend the cycle. Say, every 6 months or so. Give the player a month where their old name is reserved, and allow them to change it back to the old name at any time; after that, they can still try to change back providing no one has taken their old name.

Frankly, I was one of the people who switched the day it came out (or maybe a couple days later, point is I changed pretty much asap) but I haven't changed it since. I think once a month is too often as people like to change it just for [cabbage]s and giggles. Also, I think people who choose offensive usernames should love the ability to change it for at least a year (ignoring the forced change from the offensive name.)

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

What jagex should have done for name change:

first name change: free

second name change: 10,000 gp

third name change: 20,000 gp

fourth name change: 40,000 gp

tenth name change: 5,120,000 gp

twentieth name change: 5,242,880,000 gp

Would be interesting to see how much people pay lol.

Interesting DYK :P I was always so annoyed when I forgot to put supercompost on the patches :oops:

Regarding the first article: Overall, I agree with you. However there are some points I'd like to address:

You mentioned buyable Skills. There is a reason these skills require such an enourmus sum of money: They offer huge advantages in combat. If we're talking about Woodcutting, Smithing, Mining or whatever, I couldn't care less. The amount of time saved is rather minimal and certainly doesn't "devalue" anything, especially since people should know for themselves what they did to achieve those levels and what they can be proud of. If they're getting angry because someone calls your skillcape a BXPW product or whatever, that's their own problem.

But those buyables offer an advantage in combat and that's the reason why they cost so much to level. This shouldn't be messed with by giving people cheaper overloads, turmoil or steel titans.

Also your point of how it's hard to get these levels for quests...not really. I spent less than a million on buyables, and I still have the required levels after not so much playtime on members worlds. Penguin Points alone offer a huge boosts, you can also spend a lot of the xp lamps from quests on them, and the little bit of money someone needs to get that last bit is really not over-the-top.

Personally, I did not really like the BXPW. Yes, I abused it, checked my trees, went to the circus, trained some Crafting and woodcutting. But the whole time I felt like what I was doing was wrong, that I did not deserve the levels I gained. I simply did not feel comfortable. When my multiplier was at 1.6 I finally gave up and helped in a penguin clan chat. I do not blame anyone for not thinking the same, but for myself, I just feel(with no particular reason I can word in a sensible argument) that this is wrong.

On the second article, I couldn't agree more. I had around 70 people on my friends list, but when I decided to clean up after a few months I was left with a mere 15. It almost completely destroys the chance to randomly find a mate while skilling or monster hunting. Yes, if you chat a lot you will get used to the name change, but anything like the people you only occasionally chat with, or maybe with whom you team up for dungeoneering once in a while - you lose them. I understand some want to get rid of old and maybe even embarassing names, but anything beyond that is just plain annoying. Imo, there should be 1 name change per 2 years available, with the ability to change back to your old name for 1 month. That's completely sufficient.

I completely agree with the second article. I hate how often some people change their names! The update probably would have been perfect if there was a limit to the number of name changes we could use.

In response to the first article, I love the Bonus Exp weekends! I never pay that much attention to the economy anyways. If they do future weekends, we should be limited to non-buyable skills perhaps? So mining, agility, combat skills and slayer, hunter, etc. Wouldn't have AS much of an adverse effect on the economy, but would still be a great opportunity to reduce the grind. :D

Blakdragon39.png

I fully agree with both articles this week.

The Bonus XP Weekends are a great idea, but they really do have a lasting effect on the economy. As for people protesting about it, I can't see why. I get the argument, but oh well. My highest level is 70 Woodcutting, and I did work hard to get it. But it doesn't make a difference if somebody only spent half as much time getting their level 70. It's still my achievement, and I still loved getting it. If anything, I'm glad it took longer, I got to make a few friends along the way.

I hate the name changes with a passion! Like Wingless, I constantly have to ask who people are. Which is pretty embarrassing, since I have few people on my friend's list and I should be able to know who they are. :D I no longer use the high-scores for this reason. I have so much trouble tracking friends down on the hi-scores I have to use the Adventurer's Log. I wish Jagex would limit, or even remove this feature.

1st Article: I'm really enjoying Emerson's first couple of articles and writing style, though I feel more negatively towards the bonus xp weekends.

Finally I would like to say that while the two bonus xp weekends so far have worked wonders for gameplay, I think that another one would be a bad idea. Protests grew louder the second time around and the more controversy Jagex creates between itself and its players, the less of a positive impact future updates will have due to Jagex having built up a negative rapport with the community.

Sounds like the initial holiday events.

rssig2.png

Both articles made some points that I agreed with.

However, from the first article. Herblore is not really as hard or expensive to train as people make it out to be. For the low levels at any rate. I managed to get up to 65 herblore making potions from MTK only. Then, doing pengs with a friend, and cashing in points every 3 weeks, while using MTK herbs and farming 15-20 avantoe seeds a day (3-4 runs), I managed to get to 76 herblore. At this point, I had just under 10k avantoe banked, from farming, which was enough for lvl 81. My profit from the herbs, nests, and seeds I didn't use from MTK covered the cost of the avantoe seeds, and the cost of paying my workers. With extra to spare.

Now, after lvl 81, yes, it is incredibly expensive, and my total cost is around 200m getting to 95. But 81 is a decent herblore level, and more then enough for any quests.

Long and short of it.

[hide=My miniguide to casual herblore]

1) Pick one potion you want to make to level up. (I advise either super energies or super attacks)

2) Buy lots of that seed (I would pick a cheaper seed, e.g. avantoe, irit)

3) Start farming, try to get at least 2 runs a day, or try for 100 herbs a day.

4) DO PENGUINS EVERY WEEK!

5) Find something to do between herb runs, I chose slayer.

6) Just be patient, don't worry about prices of the herbs you are farming, don't even think about leveling herblore.

You will have 65 herblore easily in 3 weeks, while profiting, with this method. And 81 should take around 2 months, depending on how many times you farm, and whether you miss penguins or not.

[/hide]

About the second article.

I agree with the name change problem, I have some friends who change their name constantly. And it gets very confusing. I think that this problem could be solved somewhat by having a right click option "view display name history" on their name. Then, it would bring up a window that started with their original account name, and gave you every name they have gone through, in reverse chronological order, down to their current name at the bottom. That is what I think would help vastly. And probably limiting it to one change every 2 months, instead of every 4 weeks.

pere_grin.png

My first name change after the name change update was to Xinix_Xaxx. My second name change was to Xinix Xaxx; I didn't know I wouldn't need the underscore. I changed it to Xinix Xax because I'd wanted the name with one X to begin with, but then back to Xinix Xaxx (after popular demand) and there it's stayed. I wouldn't have changed my name at all, but people kept calling me "Bend Over" and that gets old in about half a second. There are people on my friends list, however, who have changed every chance they've had and I have no idea who they are. I just keep deleting them, but as soon as I delete someone, they start talking to me again within four days. Then I figure out who they are, and lather, rinse, repeat. To be honest, I'm not too far from deleting everyone with the name change icon at the end of the year and staying on "Private: Friends" only.

I did sign up here with my user name, but unfortunately, I forgot the password, hence this account.

By the way, what does/did "DDS" stand for, exactly, referring to the poisoned dagger, not "Doctor of Dental Surgery."

This might be one of the least interesting signatures on the forum. Sorry.

By the way, what does/did "DDS" stand for, exactly, referring to the poisoned dagger, not "Doctor of Dental Surgery."

Dragon Dagger Superpoisoned

"In order to lead, you must learn how to carry your followers upon your shoulders"

"A man is not only defined by his abilities, but also by those of the men with which he surrounds himself"

"The meek fight for skill and fame, the strong fight for power with the skill and fame they already have"

"There is no good without sacrifice and no sacrifice without mercy"

My first name change after the name change update was to Xinix_Xaxx. My second name change was to Xinix Xaxx; I didn't know I wouldn't need the underscore. I changed it to Xinix Xax because I'd wanted the name with one X to begin with, but then back to Xinix Xaxx (after popular demand) and there it's stayed. I wouldn't have changed my name at all, but people kept calling me "Bend Over" and that gets old in about half a second. There are people on my friends list, however, who have changed every chance they've had and I have no idea who they are. I just keep deleting them, but as soon as I delete someone, they start talking to me again within four days. Then I figure out who they are, and lather, rinse, repeat. To be honest, I'm not too far from deleting everyone with the name change icon at the end of the year and staying on "Private: Friends" only.

I did sign up here with my user name, but unfortunately, I forgot the password, hence this account.

Off topic, but you can change your "display" username on tipit as well :)

Don't ask me how, I *did* change mine here but I can't remember offhand >.<

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

The article about the two bonus xp weekends was great. The analysis of these two events was very close to my own viewpoint and thoughts about them. Especially I would like to bring forward that I agree fully with that statement made last in one of the end paragraphs, that members worlds consist of much more "grind your heart out" activities than F2P ones. Members need to relax more.

However, I think that the bonus xp weekend is a good idea and I think that if Jagex just make a few changes to it, so that they can have more control of it and the impact on the in-RS economy becomes smaller, I would like to see a third weekend.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Ragarding the Bonus XP weekend article - i agree with anything written but the conclusion.

Yes, there will be complains (as always) , and yes the economy will be shaken a bit but the Pros ,reduce grinding (and costs), beats these arguments easly.

Looking forward for the next one :thumbup:

that members worlds consist of much more "grind your heart out" activities than F2P ones.

Really?

With skills like farming, great minigames like castle wars. I find myself alot more relaxed, grinding less, making more money, AND having alot more fun in members worlds than i generally do in f2p.

Maybe thats just me.

O.O

that members worlds consist of much more "grind your heart out" activities than F2P ones.

Really?

With skills like farming, great minigames like castle wars. I find myself alot more relaxed, grinding less, making more money, AND having alot more fun in members worlds than i generally do in f2p.

Maybe thats just me.

It's very true that there are more opportunities for fun playing methods. I too enjoy games like Castle Wars, but it's sad to say that although there are more opportunities for these sort of activities - most people spend their time on grinding, moreso than on F2P.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Well, I am against bonus xp weekends, because they merely attempt to hide this game is unfun to play. Not that RS is that boring, but you shouldn't make things easier on regular occasions just because that attracts the horde.

So if they do another one, I'll cancel my membership.

savormix.gif
R.I.P. oO000oO0oO00, RS2 range pure transformed to a maxed PvM char in EoC, ten years of time completely wasted.
Good to be gone :)

I guess you could say I'm grinding right now. I don't see it as such, myself, but it could be called grinding...I am looking for a champion challenge scroll, and therefore killing hill giants for hours at a time. It's not terribly interesting, but at least I'm not still fishing!!! (For those who don't understand that reference, I worked my way to 99 fishing and then caught my own fish to get to 99 cooking. It took FOREVER!!!! Well, actually, about a year all together, what with some breaks now and then. I am very proud of my Cooking cape.) At least they drop a decent number of herbs and there are limpwurt roots all around the cave for potion making.

This might be one of the least interesting signatures on the forum. Sorry.