1,500 - done. 1,800 or 2,000?

@Dan3HitU

no it is not!

Don't project your own lifestyle on others:

That's literally exactly what you're doing.

uhm what? - The only thing I said is that you shouldn't play more than 30-90 mins.. Well let me rephrase that: sitting more than 180 mins a day behind a computer is unhealthy and will cause RSI later now I consider the average employee to spent at least 1-2 hours doing administrative work (so behind a pc). And thus my statement that an average person shouldn't play more than 30 - 90 mins a day is simply a medical statement, there's no influence of my own lifestyle (other than that I did experience the bad effects of spending too much time behind your pc and I try to warn children who're still growing and thus more vulnerable to RSI).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no it is not!

The only thing I said is that you shouldn't play more than 30-90 mins..

Why? Do you realize how little time that really is?

no it is not!

uhm what? - The only thing I said is that you shouldn't play more than 30-90 mins.. Well let me rephrase that: sitting more than 180 mins a day behind a computer is unhealthy and will cause RSI later now I consider the average employee to spent at least 1-2 hours doing administrative work (so behind a pc). And thus my statement that an average person shouldn't play more than 30 - 90 mins a day is simply a medical statement, there's no influence of my own lifestyle (other than that I did experience the bad effects of spending too much time behind your pc and I try to warn children who're still growing and thus more vulnerable to RSI).

I have to agree.

A lot of people forget that a LOT of players don't play at SUPER MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY. While there's nothing wrong with that, it seems that people forget this fact a lot. A lot of people who play, don't play for stupidly large amounts of time. And Jagex, not being stupid, cater to ALL players rather than just those interested in efficiency.

1500 total is a large amount for a NORMAL player. It is all too easy to think that everyone is high-levelled and interested in efficiency on these forums since that's what a lot of people here are, but the wider Runescape population is not like that.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

no it is not!

I played Runescape for about three hours a day from last Wednesday to Sunday. I'm stringing amulets with lunars. I've been mostly reading while I do this (both a book and these forums). I would venture to say that my posting on these forums has given me a greater chance of getting RSI than ANY of the time I've spent on Runescape this past week.

Now, that's just one example, sure, but most activities in Runescape are almost as AFKable as that, and I'd guess that the average player spends far more time doing easy skills than hard skills (I'm the opposite). The point is that spending more than 30 minutes behind a computer screen does not give one RSI. It's what you do. I can get RSI from playing guitar (which I do more than I play Runescape).

Finally, you telling other people to cut down on their playing time IS telling other people how to live, which is nonsense, because everyone's different. I played for five hours a day this past summer while spending tons of time with my girlfriend, friends, playing guitar, and reading. EVERYONE'S DIFFERENT.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

1500 total is a large amount for a NORMAL player. It is all too easy to think that everyone is high-levelled and interested in efficiency on these forums since that's what a lot of people here are, but the wider Runescape population is not like that.

Over 450k players have over 1500 total. Of the group above 1500 total, the activity rate increases. Also, only a few f2p players have above 1500 total, so you're cramming these 450k active players into even fewer servers - the member only ones. 1500 total is an average of level 60 in each skill.

I'd like to see a couple 2000+ servers (65-70k players) added with the same spawn times as a 1500-1800 player world. That keeps it quite accessible while still raising the quality bar significantly.

An elite server (2100, 2200 or so) would be a great experience. A 2400+ wouldn't be that great though. Only about 2500 players (I'm almost there) have a total level this high, but since almost every single one of them is active, competition at the best training spots would be fairly intense.

2496 Completionist

Wow, where did this wellspring of passion come from?

Statisitcally, 1500+ is 60% of the total you can acheive. That is low, regardless of whether or not you disagree with the stance some players take. Neither is thinking that someone who got to 1500 total is someone who plays for 6 hours a day and opened their account on August of this year when really, they could've been playing since 2002. Making the assumption that anyone who thinks 1500 is 'low' is an efficiency nut is just setting yourself up for ridicule. If they were planning on making a large chunk of their servers these level restricted words maybe, just maybe, this would be something worth getting all hot n' bothered for. There are what, two of these worlds?

To launch into a morale crusade at the even slightest hint of someone's opinion on efficiency is a wasted effort.

I'm with you on the "helpful" part xpx but they're great when you don't want to be hassled by newer players.

Your level doesn't mean you're dense. Without launching too much in the level vs maturity debate, I think it's fair to point out that even a level 114 can be as uneducated as a level 60. That's a problem these worlds can't solve. It's something we, as an entire community, cried out for a fix, and this was the closest Jagex could manage. That still doesn't mean there isn't an easier, more effective system to stop people from bothering you: that was, is, and always will be your Ignore List.

hzvjpwS.gif

Pulli, You saying no one should be playing more then 30-90 minutes, and that we shouldn't be efficient are BOTH your attempt to project your views as how ours should be. Everyone is different.

Ye, 1500 is low. I can say that since I have over 2x the xp needed for level 60 in all skills in 1 skill, attack. Even playing at under max efficiency, I doubt you can be at half my speed (Well, some people are...) But still, 100 hours in a year on a game is NOTHING, even with school.

In fact, rather then saying 1500 total levels is a high requirement, you'd be better off saying that getting both 99 cooking and fletching is harder, the conventional way, they'd both take more time then getting 1500 total...

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

If you guys think he's projecting his life into yours... then I think your hyprocritical too.

Take a look around in the forums. The amount of posts that go along like this are many:

Q: how should I train slayer?

A: Cannon, piety, overloads, turmoil, etc.

Q: how should I train [insert expensive skill]?

A: make money at gwd, frost dragons, tds, or green dragons if your a lower level. Then use the fastest way of buying that skill.

Whatever happened to suggesting other stuff? And when some people do suggest other stuff, it gets put down with "waste of time, blahblahblah is more efficient".

Remember that whole 'killing level 2 men' debacle? Yea, you tell me pulli is projecting his life into yours... just makes me laugh.

Staurolite.png

no it is not!

I played Runescape for about three hours a day from last Wednesday to Sunday. I'm stringing amulets with lunars. I've been mostly reading while I do this (both a book and these forums). I would venture to say that my posting on these forums has given me a greater chance of getting RSI than ANY of the time I've spent on Runescape this past week.

Now, that's just one example, sure, but most activities in Runescape are almost as AFKable as that, and I'd guess that the average player spends far more time doing easy skills than hard skills (I'm the opposite). The point is that spending more than 30 minutes behind a computer screen does not give one RSI. It's what you do. I can get RSI from playing guitar (which I do more than I play Runescape).

Finally, you telling other people to cut down on their playing time IS telling other people how to live, which is nonsense, because everyone's different. I played for five hours a day this past summer while spending tons of time with my girlfriend, friends, playing guitar, and reading. EVERYONE'S DIFFERENT.

Sleeping isn't my strong suit, either :-P

But seriously, yeah. I manage to have a life while playing lots of RuneScape and studying/hanging out with friends and girlfriend/reading by not sleeping. I function very effectively on like 4-5 hours of sleep. Once again, everyone's different.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

If you guys think he's projecting his life into yours... then I think your hyprocritical too.

Take a look around in the forums. The amount of posts that go along like this are many:

Q: how should I train slayer?

A: Cannon, piety, overloads, turmoil, etc.

Q: how should I train [insert expensive skill]?

A: make money at gwd, frost dragons, tds, or green dragons if your a lower level. Then use the fastest way of buying that skill.

Whatever happened to suggesting other stuff? And when some people do suggest other stuff, it gets put down with "waste of time, blahblahblah is more efficient".

Remember that whole 'killing level 2 men' debacle? Yea, you tell me pulli is projecting his life into yours... just makes me laugh.

When someone asks the fastest way to achieve something, you tell them what they want to hear whether they want the answer you give them or not.

And yeah, people suggest making money at GWD, frost dragons, TDs and green dragons. Why? Because picking flax is 10 to 35 TIMES slower.

SOS_100x100.png

Help drive change Canada

Providing the proper details to get the answer they want that suits them is the responsibility of the person asking the question; it's not the people answering the topic's job to puzzle it out...But that's what happens 9/10 times, after a page long of discussion and back-and-forth.

People must be more descriptive then in their topics asking for help. Clearly outline what your stats are, what you have to start with, your budget, your goals, things you want to avoid, etc. Generally what you described doesn't happen if people asking for advice takes that extra step. Clearly anyone with a brain won't tell a level 105 to use yaks/ovls if they state that.

This should be common sense for anyone asking questions, but you'll be surprised on how often its just forgotten. Your post is proof of that. If more people took the time to give those details, you wouldn't have that perception. But if those details are missing then of course people are going to answer according to their preference. And if efficiency/max gear is their preference, what else do you expect? The people answering questions aren't mind readers.

hzvjpwS.gif

Implementing a 1,500+ world has the effect of moving a show from 9pm to 10pm because that's the magical time all kids go to bed, and then having that show on Hulu the next day anyway so all the kids who "shouldn't" be watching it are watching it anyway.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

no it is not!

-15M xp still takes 100+ hours to get from start.. - That's a lot of time to spent on a game.

1500 total is equivalent to 60 in every skill. About 300 000 xp in every skill average, to be fair. 300k*25 skills= 7,5M xp.

You said 30 to 90 minutes, so let's make it an hour.

15 000 000 xp/xh=xp/h (I put the 0s so that you can visualize).

Let's assume 30k xp/h is a good relaxed gamestyle rate

7 500 000 xp / (30 000 xp / h) = 250 h

That'd be a total of 250 days of presence at 1 hour a day. Not high for "High level" in a MMO.

WarBlastoise.png

@ Kimberly + Glasscube:

I think my point wasn't taken. My point wasn't people giving advice such as grinding frost dragons. My point was how those same people who are calling pulli a hypocrite for saying "don't project your own lifestyle on others". Now don't get me wrong, maybe pulli is a hypocrite, but I'm just pointing out how all the efficiency first players also like to "project their own lifestyle into others". They come along onto a nice thread right? Then start blabbering about efficiency this, efficiency that.

The way I look at it, efficiency is excellent if you can stand grinding. Basically, all forms of making money is a grind, save farming herbs (but that is also sometimes a chore). If you can grind away at an activity for hours even if it isn't fun, but having the thought that you'll be millions richer is motivating you, then by all means, go for it. But for others, like me, who can't stay at one boring task for long, I doubt we care about efficiency. I doubt we're going to log on for an hour at a time, just to kill green dragons. Maybe for some emergency cash (say your a couple mill short of some dragon claws), but I'd rather spend that time doing something I like. Be it playing minigames like trouble brewing, stealing creations, even the burthorpe games room for heavens sake!

Anyways, I'm not saying I'm better because I don't grind, because I'm not. I can't compete with maxed out players at bosses (which is why I don't go often), but I can still have fun playing the game. What I can't stand is alot of threads turning into efficiency arguements, "oh this way to kill bandos is better, no that way is better, blah blah blah."

So, before you guys go around calling people hypocrites, take a look in the mirror first.

@jsboutin:

30k/hr is way over a relaxed gaming style. I average 30k exp /hr and most of that comes from fast but expensive skills like construction, herblore and summoning. If you were to estimate, especially for a new player starting out, 30k/hr is too much. Maybe more like 15k/hr.

Staurolite.png

My point was how those same people who are calling pulli a hypocrite for saying "don't project your own lifestyle on others". Now don't get me wrong, maybe pulli is a hypocrite, but I'm just pointing out how all the efficiency first players also like to "project their own lifestyle into others". They come along onto a nice thread right? Then start blabbering about efficiency this, efficiency that.

presumably when someone creates a thread in HELP & ADVICE they are looking for help and advice. i guess i should stop posting help and advice in there and just say "do whatever you want".

The way I look at it, efficiency is excellent if you can stand grinding. Basically, all forms of making money is a grind, save farming herbs (but that is also sometimes a chore). If you can grind away at an activity for hours even if it isn't fun, but having the thought that you'll be millions richer is motivating you, then by all means, go for it.

being efficient is about saving time, not raking in money. for money just go kill tds or dks 10 hours a day while flipping.

Anyways, I'm not saying I'm better because I don't grind, because I'm not. I can't compete with maxed out players at bosses (which is why I don't go often), but I can still have fun playing the game. What I can't stand is alot of threads turning into efficiency arguements, "oh this way to kill bandos is better, no that way is better, blah blah blah."

it is a fact that it is better to kill graardor with a whip than adamant javelins, sorry if that offends you. my advice is grow some thicker skin.

30k/hr is way over a relaxed gaming style. I average 30k exp /hr and most of that comes from fast but expensive skills like construction, herblore and summoning. If you were to estimate, especially for a new player starting out, 30k/hr is too much. Maybe more like 15k/hr.

15k/h would still put you at 500 days (roughly 16 months) of playing. that is not even close to being above average, let alone "elite" or whatever the euphemism is these days for high leveled.

why not total exp worlds? would make alot more sense as having a 30mil xp world would mean that most "noobs" would be kept out that are not kept out with 1.5k total worlds, it would also mean skillers would find it alot easier to get on them (at the moment needs to be near maxeds to be able to)

this isnt such a good idea cuase someone could have 30mil xp in cooking or fletching or some other easy skill 1.5k total with 30mil xp could be ok i think

The once was a mexican called pepsi,

Or maybe it's just he had Hep C,

He was a pretty cool bro,

Bros generally are you know,

He hailed from the land of 'taters,

He was known to hate many-a-hater,

He likes a girl named Lacey,

His thoughts about her are kind of racy,

And also his dad likes to [rooster].

Don't stop posting just for me please, I'm just saying what I think.

Being efficient is about saving time, that I know, but how do you save time? By making money faster (and more often than not, faster means more grinding) of course! So what are you trying to say?

"it is a fact that it is better to kill graardor with a whip than adamant javelins, sorry if that offends you"

no that doesn't offend me. Because you just went to an extreme, and it comes off as being ignorant. You know sure as hell I wasn't talking about people comparing whips to addy javelins, you know sure as hell I meant the pages of rambling on threads about whip or gs, cls or raper, etc.

"15k/h would still put you at 500 days (roughly 16 months) of playing. that is not even close to being above average, let alone "elite" or whatever the euphemism is these days for high leveled."

so what are you saying? I don't think you got what I was saying. Are you saying 15k/hr is still too fast for an average person?

Staurolite.png

The point, All_Is_Great, is that telling someone how to do something in a H&A thread is completely different from telling someone how much time they should spend on the game, how they should play, etc. Like Bladewing said, the H&A forum is used by people who actually WANT someone to point them in the right direction, and like Kimberly said, they're ALWAYS going to get the most efficient advice if they're not specific about what they want.

So, yes, Pulli was being a hypocrite. No one else was.

dgs5.jpg

Mk, pulli was being a hypocrite, but I believe some others were too. I don't think he just said "don't project your own lifestyle onto others" for no reason.

He only did because multiple posters informed him that 1,500 total is pretty low. There's nothing subjective about that. It's low.

dgs5.jpg

Id say its subjective.

If you consider "Low" as below average, then i think 1500 is pretty high.

And unless its something ridiculous like powercutting teaks while fletching bolts and timing your drops to the game ticks so it doesnt delay woodcutting, i think most people would appreciate being told the most efficient way to do things.

O.O

Why?

High levels already get advantages for being, well, high leveled. Do they really need EVEN MORE advantages over a normal player?

well levelling skills is slower at higher levels, so this is one argument supporting an exp multiplier

NOT THAT I SUPPORT IT