Efficiency

Michael

I like efficiency. I do as much as I can to kill things faster, to obtain resources faster etc. What I don't like, however, is when people tell me what I should and shouldn't be wearing or using. Example: I go to abyssal demons with fighter torso, dragon legs, glory, neitiznot helm, rune defender, whip, dragon boots, zerker ring (i) and slayer cape. I'm immediately shouted with 'lmao what's with the welfare gear'.

Sorry but I don't need to waste 22M+ on a bandos chestpiece when I already have the +4 strength I need from my fighter torso - which, by the way, costs nada, zip, zero, zilch. Also bandos chest may have great ranged defence, but that's only going to help me with dagannoth tasks, as I hardly ever kill ranged based monsters.

I guess what I'm saying is, everyone wears what they want, for their own reasons.

Also for me, efficiency usually changes when I get a skill to 99. For example, up to 99 woodcutting, I was cutting Ivy. When I got 99, since it was now at its peak level, I would rather chop magic trees because I can cut them at the highest level. I no longer need the 'best' experience for that skill, and in turn becomes another money maker.

I would do the same for other skills like fishing for example. Fish in shilo till 99, then fish rocktail or shark (depending on what I feel like) from then onwards. XP to most of my skills becomes meaningless after level 99. There are some skills I would like to get more XP in however, and they would probably be 200M attack XP, 50M hitpoints XP, and 50M slayer XP.

I think efficiency and fun is the secret. Errr and perhaps money? You can never have enough money :lol:

2vuhgcn.png

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously you want to have fun.

So if you define efficiency solely to be the best way to gain the best ratio of gp/xp for your time then you're a moron.

Hello clown #2, short time no argue over semantics eh?

MSN Encarta dictionary for you.

ef·fi·cien·cy [ i físh'nsee ] (plural ef·fi·cien·cies)

noun

Definition:

1. competence: the ability to do something well or achieve a desired result without wasted energy or effort.

2. productive use of resources: the degree to which something is done well or without wasted energy

3. measure of machine's energy effectiveness: the ratio of the amount of energy used by a machine to the amount of work done by it. For example, the measurement of the amount of heat produced per unit of fuel when all of a fuel has been burned is a measure of a heating unit's efficiency.

I assume most people on this site who claim to be efficiency experts use "efficiency" in a manner consistent with definition #1. Yet, they almost always forget the bolded part at the end.

Of course they never understand a few other things too.

Here I will list them.

"making gp" and "wasted energy" are not mutually exclusive.

"making gp" and "effort" are not mutually exclusive.

In fact, "making gp" and "fun" are not even mutually inclusive.

Furthermore, for total heresy in the eyes of my friends (the efficiency trolls here) one might consider that going out of ones way to generate gp to increase xp rates by some percentage (often small) might be considered "OMFG WASTED ENERGY". :shame:

Truely unbelievable and moronic I know...

I mean everybody loves merchanting and farming and camping for days at the same monster, and killing the big monsters in groups while hoping not to share too much of the loot.

Nobody likes to go places where you don't profit or get BIG XP.

You know the abandoned places like stealing creation, fight pits, or even castle wars.

Instead, everybody should camp at the frost dragons or go afk with the bots at soul wars until they can camp efficiently at frost dragons because its all about the efficiency. :idea:

A good player isn't somebody who accomplished their goals.

A good player is somebody with unlimited GP, because only somebody with unlimited gp can gain xp at the fastest rates humanly possible.

To do less or consider gp/xp would be uncivilized. :rolleyes:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

People will understand efficiency when they get maxed melee's and 2200+ total. Once you hit a certain point efficiency really helps with getting levels done and such. I find it fun to get the best xp doing skills but thats just my style of play.

Low_C.png

So if you define efficiency solely to be the best way to gain the best ratio of gp/xp for your time then you're a moron.

noun

Definition:

1. competence: the ability to do something well or achieve a desired result without wasted energy or effort.

emphasis on the highlighted words

Naaxi.png

I have no problem with players being efficient, I have problems with those efficiency players pushing THEIR requirements onto other players. If I want to take my time Dungeoneering, and don't think that the Shadow Silk Hood is God's gift to Dungeoneering, doesn't make me bad at dung at all. I'd rather just ENJOY it.

Sometimes I do enjoy being efficient - but I always strive for a balance.

Fine, as long as you aren't on MY team. I'll kick you if you are.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Quote hidden to efficiently use page space.

[hide]

noun

Definition:

2. productive use of resources: the degree to which something is done well or without wasted energy

3. measure of machine's energy effectiveness: the ratio of the amount of energy used by a machine to the amount of work done by it. For example, the measurement of the amount of heat produced per unit of fuel when all of a fuel has been burned is a measure of a heating unit's efficiency.

I assume most people on this site who claim to be efficiency experts use "efficiency" in a manner consistent with definition #1. Yet, they almost always forget the bolded part at the end.

Of course they never understand a few other things too.

Here I will list them.

"making gp" and "wasted energy" are not mutually exclusive.

"making gp" and "effort" are not mutually exclusive.

In fact, "making gp" and "fun" are not even mutually inclusive.

Furthermore, for total heresy in the eyes of my friends (the efficiency trolls here) one might consider that going out of ones way to generate gp to increase xp rates by some percentage (often small) might be considered "OMFG WASTED ENERGY". :shame:

Truely unbelievable and moronic I know...

I mean everybody loves merchanting and farming and camping for days at the same monster, and killing the big monsters in groups while hoping not to share too much of the loot.

Nobody likes to go places where you don't profit or get BIG XP.

You know the abandoned places like stealing creation, fight pits, or even castle wars.

Instead, everybody should camp at the frost dragons or go afk with the bots at soul wars until they can camp efficiently at frost dragons because its all about the efficiency. :idea:

A good player isn't somebody who accomplished their goals.

A good player is somebody with unlimited GP, because only somebody with unlimited gp can gain xp at the fastest rates humanly possible.

To do less or consider gp/xp would be uncivilized. :rolleyes:

[/hide]

You are trying to shove your inefficient way of playing down other peoples throats. You are a hypocrite.

OR

You are agreeing with myself and grimy, while calling us names for holding the same beliefs as you. It could go either way. Although I'm not exactly sure what it is you have against people who do things efficiently. Not that I really care either.

Either way, you delight in stereotyping, but do not seem to realize that you yourself fall squarely into one. But that's okay, I didn't really expect you to.

Your replies will be my amusement for the next 2 hours or so, as I finish up my Digital Logic Design lab report, so please make them good ones.

(Gasp!!! I forgot to include a plethora of sarcastic smilies!! Lemme just stick them on the end here and hope no one notices. :thumbup: :rolleyes: :roll: :wall: :pray: =D> :shame: :boohoo: :ohnoes: )

pere_grin.png

People enjoy the game differently. Some people like to be the most efficient because it makes them feel superior to other players. Whether or not that's bad is up to your judgment.

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

I do w/e is fun. I know that alching while wcing while fletching is efficient, but it's not fun so I don't do it. I like rushing dungeoneering and potting up and turmoiling everything because I hit higher and it is more satisfying striving to max out exp rates.

Efficiency is the lastest buzzword to use when you need to feel good about yourself and where you are in the game.

People on this site use it freely and without any basis to efficiency in the real world.

Efficiency in RS quite offen is used to mean using the most expensive means available to accomplish something.

This is quite dubious because making gp takes time and effort and can be gained most readily doing the things that most people view as not fun or useful. (of course aside for illicit methods)

Of course efficiency is also the latest put down in a long line of noob, choob, nolifer...etc.

Somebody moves too slow for you in your dungeon... scream "l2be efficient".

Somebody has better stats than you... cry out "But your inefficient, learn to RS"

I am not RS efficient.

Nor would I want to be.

I play nonprofit minigames.

I don't go out of my way to make gp, so I save gp when possible.

I don't "invest" in the GE.

You don't need to be efficient to be successful in this game.

Now watch the efficiency trolls line up quoting my post.

Its always the same clowns too... :shame:

I've been waiting for this topic and waiting to say almost this exact thing. You sir are my BFF now <3 bolded my main view and reason I don't refer anyone to ask for advice on TIF and just to find their favorite way to do it. Fun > efficiency cause lets face it, if we do everything efficiently to max out, wouldn't it be more of a chore to play than to play for fun?

Novite_Mike.png

The corp beast, is, well, just a corp beast. He doesnt even have any friends.

[spoiler=Other Quotes]tbh idk why this makes me laugh so hard

All DFS threads turn into efficiency flame wars >.>

>OP asks "why use DFS?"

>everyone says "there is no reason"

>someone says "stop bashing people who use DFS, efficiency troll ass clown"

>thread is now a flame fest

I've been waiting for this topic and waiting to say almost this exact thing. You sir are my BFF now <3 bolded my main view and reason I don't refer anyone to ask for advice on TIF and just to find their favorite way to do it. Fun > efficiency cause lets face it, if we do everything efficiently to max out, wouldn't it be more of a chore to play than to play for fun?

Usually when people ask for Help and Advice, they're looking for the efficient way of doing it, you shouldn't need to ask for help on something fun #-o

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

i just don't understand is why people have to say that being efficient or not is good or not.

you just have to see that everyone can do anything that he wants, thats why we play this game, some choose to level in certain way, others choose a different way.

its not you that will say to me that i play wrong, im the only one that can say that!!!

yes, you can say that perhaps im doing slower and show me why, as i can say that to you..

i like doing most things the most efficient way, but my efficient way doesnt need to be the best of all, i have to adjust to my way of play.

i hate doing rc by zmi, so i choose to do through abyss or grhaak, depending on my mood, as i hate to use cannon, but i still use piety (still aiming for 95 prayer) and other stuff, why?

BECAUSE I LIKE!!!

i like being efficient, and love to see threads about that, but not every stile goes my way, so i adapt the way it fits me the most.

AbandonnedEpicDpser25.pngAbandonnedHeroDpser22.pngWarpedEpicDpser25.png

Usually when people ask for Help and Advice, they're looking for the efficient way of doing it, you shouldn't need to ask for help on something fun #-o

They will not realize this though. And the non-efficiency crowd simply cannot understand how people who enjoy efficiency actually enjoy it. They view us as having an unfair advantage because we can easily max out stats, gear, and kc, and they struggle. They are all over, and when they lose training spots and monsters to the efficiency folk, they complain loudly, and call names. This is evidenced perfectly by posters on this thread.

@GlowingRedM

You may think that fun>efficiency. But, sir, you are not the final authority on fun. Many people find fun and efficiency to be synonymous. How can you be upset with them for being efficient, if they find it fun? You yourself place a very heavy emphasis on fun in your post. But by the same post, you show yourself unable to recognize that you are different then many other people. And in fact, you do not win anyone to your side by consistantly trying to convince the efficient players that they are playing a game incorrectly.

If you lose a training spot or other coveted spot to a more efficient player, it is because you were, in point of fact, getting in the way of them having fun. By your own mouth, fun is the most important part of this game, and when you prevent someone from having fun, you should realize that you are breaking your own commands by complaining about it.

@krimi

That's easy, go do something, and enjoy it.

pere_grin.png

not being efficient is to waste time

i do think some things are a waste, but others for me arent, same as you.

the best metods are for me a wonderfull thing to see, as it does need research, calculations, criativity. But some simply arent suited for everyone.

AbandonnedEpicDpser25.pngAbandonnedHeroDpser22.pngWarpedEpicDpser25.png

I don't know if this counts as efficiency but I have an Excel sheets with information for all my slayer tasks by monsters (the time that took me to do them, the xp/h, the profit and the costs for the task etc ...) and a sheet with the amount of herbs from most of my recent herb runs (almost 300 runs :D) so I can calculate the best seed to buy :D.

First, lets get the facts straight, Efficiency and fun don't usually exclude one-another - rather, more often than not, being more efficient means you will be having more fun(combat is a good example- hitting higher and more accurately is undoubtedly more fun than hitting lower and inaccurately).

Secondly, efficiency doesn't always mean that you'll be using the fastest method of training, rather the method that saves you the most time, and yes, money is an object, and that's why efficient people usually calculate their methods for efficiency- as it isn't only about the experience.

Efficiency is a personal choice of gameplay- one that usually is the best choice, but gets looked over for personal superstitions or beliefs. But on the other hand, if you play the game to be efficient, you are also doing it wrong. Being the most efficient in game isn't always the right choice either as doing so can be very demanding, resulting in you getting tired of it faster. The best results can be had when you don't go after efficiency, but rather combine enjoyment and efficiency for your choice of training. Thus, taking me as an example, i have never used mousekeys as it would lessen the enjoyment i get from the game, i also don't pick up dragon bones and bank them with a yak as it would require alot more attention and lessen the xp, but at the same time, i always use overloads for slayer tasks as they are almost free for me and have a substantial advantage over any other potion.

And just to show how efficiency is done- someone on this thread said that he uses torso instead of BCP because torso=free and BCP=22m....however:

Torso: 6 hours to get while you get no xp= 6* 4m an hour(TD's, DK's, Frost's or Bandos) = 24M

BCP: 22m to buy, ~22m to buy(can make a profit or a small loss)= free. :thumbup:

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

to those who support efficiency, you should get a factory job you have a natural aptitude for it (especially when you spend your free time working on being more efficient...)

There's a difference between real life situations and an online role playing game.

Also, factory jobs suck, aren't generally the safest job, and can sometimes lead to future health issues. How's that for efficient, medical bills ftw?

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

I'm sorry, but I think I'm completely missing the problem here. In which cases is it more fun to be less efficient. IMO, if you want to train a skill like herblore, why would you bother making a potion that will give you less xp for the same money (aka being less efficient) and how would this be in any way be 'more fun'? The same goes for other skills, why would you train fletching/smithing/mining/fishing/agility or any skill for that matter in a way that will obviously cost you more time in the end than a more efficient way?

The only reason I can think of is, of course, if you want to get your skills up really fast and use more expensive means like magic logs for firemaking, but people who do that know that they are sacrificing efficiency for speed and have made enough money beforehand.

People have been talking about this debate for a while now, but I can't seem to understand the whole issue so could someone give me some examples of situations where this problem applies to?

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

Efficiency is a subjective word.

Efficiency helps you figure out how to get what you want.

what you want, is subjective, thus efficiency is subjective.

the only reason fun isn't factored into efficiency calculations, is because it's subjective.

Making a spreadsheet assuming that someone has X amount of fun training Y skill is stupid.

It's like assuming that your target audience likes eating 5 apples equally as much as 3 strawberries.

it's stupid, and doesn't get you any meaningful results.

We just choose to ignore it because factoring fun into equations is impossible to do.

If you're not having fun training "efficiently". You're doing it wrong

Thus what one should do is always recommend multiple good methods: don't say "X is best you should do it always there is no reason not to do X".. THIS is what I hate about people who have efficiency so high in importance: it's all fine to say method X is best, but did you also consider Y, or Z? - Maybe even U?

Answers to questions should be like that, leaving the OP to choose his own most fun method!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

What a ridiculous discussion. Obviously everybody plays as they choose and I'm guessing the majority of players mixes between the two. I know I do. Depends on my mood, what else I'm doing (reading or watching TV vs 100% concentration) and what skill I'm training. Some skills, I've trained at max efficiency; for some other skills, I muck around with the methods I like best even if they're less efficient.

Simply put: I set my goals, I figure out how to achieve them, weighing the options, measuring efficiency versus what I like. If what I like matches the efficient route, so much the better. If not, tant pis as the French say, I'll do what I damn well please. Again, I believe most players play this way.

What does annoy me is how judgemental some people are. And to be honest, I see the most judgement/argumentative behaviour coming from the max efficiency group of players. Discussions about how not repotting after x minutes is inefficient and stupid just make me want to smash my head into my keyboard. (Please don't start arguing over potting now, it's just an example.)

What a ridiculous discussion. Obviously everybody plays as they choose and I'm guessing the majority of players mixes between the two. I know I do. Depends on my mood, what else I'm doing (reading or watching TV vs 100% concentration) and what skill I'm training. Some skills, I've trained at max efficiency; for some other skills, I muck around with the methods I like best even if they're less efficient.

Simply put: I set my goals, I figure out how to achieve them, weighing the options, measuring efficiency versus what I like. If what I like matches the efficient route, so much the better. If not, tant pis as the French say, I'll do what I damn well please. Again, I believe most players play this way.

What does annoy me is how judgemental some people are. And to be honest, I see the most judgement/argumentative behaviour coming from the max efficiency group of players. Discussions about how not repotting after x minutes is inefficient and stupid just make me want to smash my head into my keyboard. (Please don't start arguing over potting now, it's just an example.)

Stuff like that is what annoys me about the efficiency nuts. I like efficient training as much as the next guy, but there is a limit before it becomes insanity.