Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Efficiency

• Please log in to reply
687 replies to this topic

krimi
[ Display Name History ]

krimi

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:der krimi
Help guys, what's the most efficient way to have fun???????????????????

PereGrin
[ Display Name History ]

PereGrin

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Pere Grin

I've been waiting for this topic and waiting to say almost this exact thing. You sir are my BFF now <3 bolded my main view and reason I don't refer anyone to ask for advice on TIF and just to find their favorite way to do it. Fun > efficiency cause lets face it, if we do everything efficiently to max out, wouldn't it be more of a chore to play than to play for fun?

Usually when people ask for Help and Advice, they're looking for the efficient way of doing it, you shouldn't need to ask for help on something fun #-o

They will not realize this though. And the non-efficiency crowd simply cannot understand how people who enjoy efficiency actually enjoy it. They view us as having an unfair advantage because we can easily max out stats, gear, and kc, and they struggle. They are all over, and when they lose training spots and monsters to the efficiency folk, they complain loudly, and call names. This is evidenced perfectly by posters on this thread.

@GlowingRedM

You may think that fun>efficiency. But, sir, you are not the final authority on fun. Many people find fun and efficiency to be synonymous. How can you be upset with them for being efficient, if they find it fun? You yourself place a very heavy emphasis on fun in your post. But by the same post, you show yourself unable to recognize that you are different then many other people. And in fact, you do not win anyone to your side by consistantly trying to convince the efficient players that they are playing a game incorrectly.

If you lose a training spot or other coveted spot to a more efficient player, it is because you were, in point of fact, getting in the way of them having fun. By your own mouth, fun is the most important part of this game, and when you prevent someone from having fun, you should realize that you are breaking your own commands by complaining about it.

@krimi

That's easy, go do something, and enjoy it.

ho3f3l
[ Display Name History ]

ho3f3l

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 146 posts

not being efficient is to waste time

i do think some things are a waste, but others for me arent, same as you.

the best metods are for me a wonderfull thing to see, as it does need research, calculations, criativity. But some simply arent suited for everyone.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hajutze
[ Display Name History ]

Hajutze

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,762 posts
  • RSN:Poptolev
I don't know if this counts as efficiency but I have an Excel sheets with information for all my slayer tasks by monsters (the time that took me to do them, the xp/h, the profit and the costs for the task etc ...) and a sheet with the amount of herbs from most of my recent herb runs (almost 300 runs :D) so I can calculate the best seed to buy :D.

xpx
[ Display Name History ]

xpx

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,281 posts
  • RSN:xpx
First, lets get the facts straight, Efficiency and fun don't usually exclude one-another - rather, more often than not, being more efficient means you will be having more fun(combat is a good example- hitting higher and more accurately is undoubtedly more fun than hitting lower and inaccurately).

Secondly, efficiency doesn't always mean that you'll be using the fastest method of training, rather the method that saves you the most time, and yes, money is an object, and that's why efficient people usually calculate their methods for efficiency- as it isn't only about the experience.

Efficiency is a personal choice of gameplay- one that usually is the best choice, but gets looked over for personal superstitions or beliefs. But on the other hand, if you play the game to be efficient, you are also doing it wrong. Being the most efficient in game isn't always the right choice either as doing so can be very demanding, resulting in you getting tired of it faster. The best results can be had when you don't go after efficiency, but rather combine enjoyment and efficiency for your choice of training. Thus, taking me as an example, i have never used mousekeys as it would lessen the enjoyment i get from the game, i also don't pick up dragon bones and bank them with a yak as it would require alot more attention and lessen the xp, but at the same time, i always use overloads for slayer tasks as they are almost free for me and have a substantial advantage over any other potion.

And just to show how efficiency is done- someone on this thread said that he uses torso instead of BCP because torso=free and BCP=22m....however:

Torso: 6 hours to get while you get no xp= 6* 4m an hour(TD's, DK's, Frost's or Bandos) = 24M
BCP: 22m to buy, ~22m to buy(can make a profit or a small loss)= free. :thumbup:

First to 99 Farming on 27. September, 2005.

First to 3766 Port Score on 20. March, 2014.

First to 4664 Port Score on 2. March, 2015.

Ring_World
[ Display Name History ]

Ring_World

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,475 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
to those who support efficiency, you should get a factory job you have a natural aptitude for it (especially when you spend your free time working on being more efficient...)

SirIzenhime
[ Display Name History ]

SirIzenhime

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,482 posts

to those who support efficiency, you should get a factory job you have a natural aptitude for it (especially when you spend your free time working on being more efficient...)

There's a difference between real life situations and an online role playing game.
Also, factory jobs suck, aren't generally the safest job, and can sometimes lead to future health issues. How's that for efficient, medical bills ftw?

Posted Image

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

Posted Image

SanNo1
[ Display Name History ]

SanNo1

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 878 posts
  • RSN:SanNo1
I'm sorry, but I think I'm completely missing the problem here. In which cases is it more fun to be less efficient. IMO, if you want to train a skill like herblore, why would you bother making a potion that will give you less xp for the same money (aka being less efficient) and how would this be in any way be 'more fun'? The same goes for other skills, why would you train fletching/smithing/mining/fishing/agility or any skill for that matter in a way that will obviously cost you more time in the end than a more efficient way?

The only reason I can think of is, of course, if you want to get your skills up really fast and use more expensive means like magic logs for firemaking, but people who do that know that they are sacrificing efficiency for speed and have made enough money beforehand.

People have been talking about this debate for a while now, but I can't seem to understand the whole issue so could someone give me some examples of situations where this problem applies to?
Posted Image

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

pulli23
[ Display Name History ]

pulli23

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,601 posts

Efficiency is a subjective word.
Efficiency helps you figure out how to get what you want.
what you want, is subjective, thus efficiency is subjective.

Obviously you want to have fun.
So if you define efficiency solely to be the best way to gain the best ratio of gp/xp for your time then you're a moron.

the only reason fun isn't factored into efficiency calculations, is because it's subjective.
Making a spreadsheet assuming that someone has X amount of fun training Y skill is stupid.
It's like assuming that your target audience likes eating 5 apples equally as much as 3 strawberries.
it's stupid, and doesn't get you any meaningful results.

We just choose to ignore it because factoring fun into equations is impossible to do.

If you're not having fun training "efficiently". You're doing it wrong

Thus what one should do is always recommend multiple good methods: don't say "X is best you should do it always there is no reason not to do X".. THIS is what I hate about people who have efficiency so high in importance: it's all fine to say method X is best, but did you also consider Y, or Z? - Maybe even U?

Answers to questions should be like that, leaving the OP to choose his own most fun method!

First they came to fishing
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews
and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores
and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Sumpta
[ Display Name History ]

Sumpta

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,431 posts
  • RSN:Sunta
What a ridiculous discussion. Obviously everybody plays as they choose and I'm guessing the majority of players mixes between the two. I know I do. Depends on my mood, what else I'm doing (reading or watching TV vs 100% concentration) and what skill I'm training. Some skills, I've trained at max efficiency; for some other skills, I muck around with the methods I like best even if they're less efficient.

Simply put: I set my goals, I figure out how to achieve them, weighing the options, measuring efficiency versus what I like. If what I like matches the efficient route, so much the better. If not, tant pis as the French say, I'll do what I damn well please. Again, I believe most players play this way.

What does annoy me is how judgemental some people are. And to be honest, I see the most judgement/argumentative behaviour coming from the max efficiency group of players. Discussions about how not repotting after x minutes is inefficient and stupid just make me want to smash my head into my keyboard. (Please don't start arguing over potting now, it's just an example.)

Michael
[ Display Name History ]

Michael

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  • RSN:Trollgazer

What a ridiculous discussion. Obviously everybody plays as they choose and I'm guessing the majority of players mixes between the two. I know I do. Depends on my mood, what else I'm doing (reading or watching TV vs 100% concentration) and what skill I'm training. Some skills, I've trained at max efficiency; for some other skills, I muck around with the methods I like best even if they're less efficient.

Simply put: I set my goals, I figure out how to achieve them, weighing the options, measuring efficiency versus what I like. If what I like matches the efficient route, so much the better. If not, tant pis as the French say, I'll do what I damn well please. Again, I believe most players play this way.

What does annoy me is how judgemental some people are. And to be honest, I see the most judgement/argumentative behaviour coming from the max efficiency group of players. Discussions about how not repotting after x minutes is inefficient and stupid just make me want to smash my head into my keyboard. (Please don't start arguing over potting now, it's just an example.)

Stuff like that is what annoys me about the efficiency nuts. I like efficient training as much as the next guy, but there is a limit before it becomes insanity.

jsboutin2
[ Display Name History ]

jsboutin2

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 768 posts
These folks are right.

It's so much more fun to take 30 minutes longer a task when I don't use piety/super pots. You efficiency guys don't know what you're missing.

Michael
[ Display Name History ]

Michael

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  • RSN:Trollgazer

These folks are right.

It's so much more fun to take 30 minutes longer a task when I don't use piety/super pots. You efficiency guys don't know what you're missing.

It'd just be [developmentally delayed]ed to not use super/extreme pots for slayer.

Youmu
[ Display Name History ]

Youmu

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 4,622 posts
If you're not being efficient in your game play, you're doing it wrong.

Time is money, and you're essentially wasting your cash if you're just chitchatting in world 1 Lumbridge or something, and not actually training your skills.

Efficiency - that's what most of Runescape is all about. Without efficiency, good luck actually doing stuff in game...

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

gremmy
[ Display Name History ]

gremmy

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,634 posts
  • RSN:Gremmy
  • Clan:#pr0s, #dutch_pride
Alright, you're all going on about how you like to be efficient or not, and I totally respect if people want to be efficient, I just want to have fun.

The real issue is when people start flaming people for not being efficient;

This is from the pictures thread; I've removed names for privacy.

This is where I think this efficiency-question goes too far. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? :mellow:
Dragon drops: 82 (2 claws)
Dagannoth kings drops: 73
Barrows item count: 51
GWD drops: 54 (5 hilts: 1x bandos, 3x saradomin, 1x zamorak)
Whips: 4
Sigils: 1x spectral (FFA), 1x arcane (FFA)

Everyonedies
[ Display Name History ]

Everyonedies

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 657 posts
I think i have said it lots of time in many posts where efficiency is brought into the discussion RUNESCAPE IS A GAME AND SHOULD BE PLAYED FOR FUN. Now "FUN" is up to each individual to define for themselves. That said I think if the players obsessed with efficiency really took a look in the mirror and thought about it for a few minutes, I think many of them would come to the conclusion that maximizing xp/hr is really not very enjoyable.

Youmu
[ Display Name History ]

Youmu

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 4,622 posts

I think i have said it lots of time in many posts where efficiency is brought into the discussion RUNESCAPE IS A GAME AND SHOULD BE PLAYED FOR FUN. Now "FUN" is up to each individual to define for themselves. That said I think if the players obsessed with efficiency really took a look in the mirror and thought about it for a few minutes, I don't think many of them would come to the conclusion that maximizing xp/hr is really all that much enjoyable.

Fun is subjective.

For some, maximizing xp/hr, gp/hr, or even xp/gp is fun.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Everyonedies
[ Display Name History ]

Everyonedies

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 657 posts

I think i have said it lots of time in many posts where efficiency is brought into the discussion RUNESCAPE IS A GAME AND SHOULD BE PLAYED FOR FUN. Now "FUN" is up to each individual to define for themselves. That said I think if the players obsessed with efficiency really took a look in the mirror and thought about it for a few minutes, I don't think many of them would come to the conclusion that maximizing xp/hr is really all that much enjoyable.

Fun is subjective.

For some, maximizing xp/hr, gp/hr, or even xp/gp is fun.

Thats what i said fun is subjective but i also said that most people who think obsessively staring at a screen clicking away not wanting to blink because they might lose out on 15 xp that hour are not really have "fun" and if they stopped playing long enough to think about it they would realize that arnt really have fun. I can only guess these are the same players who literally run to the bathroom and run back to the pc when ever they have to use the bathroom because OMG if they take too long in the bathroom they are missing out on xp that should have been gained in that hour....or worse they bring a laptop in with them while they take a number 2.

Assume Nothing
[ Display Name History ]

Assume Nothing

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,191 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
Efficiency isn't a problem. Anti Efficiency is.

Racheya
[ Display Name History ]

Racheya

A noob

• Editorial Panel
  • 7,253 posts
  • RSN:Bernkastel

Efficiency isn't a problem. Anti Efficiency is.

Anti Efficiency isn't a problem. Efficiency is.

Your turn.

Posted Image
I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users