Vegetarianism

Assume Nothing

I figured, since there were so much debate on this topic in "Things That Annoy The HELL Out Of You", I'm going to make a new thread out of it (better than bumping an old thread).

Personally, I dislike vegetarians that try to lecture or convert you for eating meat. Meat eating isn't a sin, we were born omnivores. I just hate the ridiculous reasoning they give.

And for the sake of argument, I'll list a few of the 'reasons' supplied in the other thread;

Huh, I'm a vegetarian for several reasons which can't really be refuted:

1- I was raised that way

2- I find meat unappetizing in appearance

3- I had meat before in my youth (as in, like, 3 or 4 years old), and I disliked it. This includes fried chicken, turkey, ground beef, and probably others.

4- As a bonus, it's healthier in a lot of ways. After all, it's hard to find an voerweight vegetarian who actually follows the diet and ahs for a long while.

As 2 of those are sheer opinion, you can't argue them.

Now tell me, can you give reasons why I should eat meat, that aren't opinion based?

"Humans weren't meant to eat meat."

"It's immoral."

"Meat is detrimental to your body."

"Eating meat = condoning animal abuse."

"My Religion doesn't allow it."

"It's unethical/wrong."

"I watched this program on BBC... and it was so horrible that they kill animals"

"Meat is bad"

Some of the points are valid, yet only opinion. I see alot of articles that are very fallacious when they argue about Vegetarianism, "It would cause less global warming."

What do you think of Vegetarianism/Vegan-ism? Usually I'm fine with it, just don't give me a dirty look when I eat my Filet Mignon & Peppercorn Sauce or a juicy burger!

Discuss!

Edit - Fixed 'carnivores' for 'omnivores' >.<

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MUST EAT MORE WENDYS!!

#5. Why I live.

To be honest, I could be a vegitarian just fine, except I severely dislike bell peppers, which are kind of a staple in vegetarianism.... But I'm a moderate, sometimes I don't feel eating any meat, and just go veggietarian for a few days. Other times its "bring me the head of a pig!"

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I honestly couldn't care if you don't eat eggs / milk / meat. Just don't tell me to do the same. Of course there are some good and valid reasons behind being a vegetarian but that's your choice, and I dont care. Also, don't be so preachy.

As for the quote -

Sure (1), can't really argue with that. Alot of people are like that. (2) Sure that's your taste. (3), again, your opinion. (4) Arguable, but yeah, vegetarianism is better in some. Also, another thing, vegans are a whole new level of stupid down from vegetarians.

[bleep] I hate vegans.

The morality argument is [cabbage]. Firstly because wheat is murder.

Secondly, death and suffering is a part of our culture. The same vegans who pretend they think all life is sacred also keep sweatshops in business, and spend money they could use to donate to save lives in third world countries.

It's an easy way to feel morally superior, just as long as they put aside the logic thing for the well being of their smugness.

I have no issues with vegans who do it for reasons other than their morals, as long as they don't try and force their diet on me, or give me a dirty look when I'm trying to enjoy a steak.

4- As a bonus, it's healthier in a lot of ways. After all, it's hard to find an voerweight vegetarian who actually follows the diet and ahs for a long while.

Yeah that would be malnutrition... :rolleyes:

The morality argument is [cabbage]. Firstly because wheat is murder.

Secondly, death and suffering is a part of our culture. The same vegans who pretend they think all life is sacred also keep sweatshops in business, and spend money they could use to donate to save lives in third world countries.

It's an easy way to feel morally superior, just as long as they put aside the logic thing for the well being of their smugness.

I have no issues with vegans who do it for reasons other than their morals, as long as they don't try and force their diet on me, or give me a dirty look when I'm trying to enjoy a steak.

Yeah that would be malnutrition... :rolleyes:

Exactly my point. If animals have the right of life, why do plants lack the right of life? They can feel pain. It has been proven

Personally, I dislike vegetarians that try to lecture or convert you for eating meat. Meat eating isn't a sin, we were born carnivores. I just hate the ridiculous reasoning they give.

Well actually we are omnivores. But I agree, many of their arguments are terrible.

The only arguments that have kind of merit are some of the moral ones that relate to sources of meat, like indoor farmed pigs etc.

But personally, I don't think any of the meat that we get at our supermarkets is imported (well that I buy at least), so I don't have any problems on moral grounds in that sense.

rosssigfinal.jpg

I don't care what you eat but I think it is dumb to do it because of a "cause". Do it because it is healthy for you or you enjoy the taste, not because you don't want to hurt the cows or chickens.

As I said in the thread, if you've got reason behind it (medical, raised that way, whatever), you're good. If you're just doing it because, you're a douche.

And to finish in the same way: I don't see how you couldn't eat meat, it's so damn good!

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

I'm not a vegetarian and as long as they're not preaching to me about how eating meat is cruel or whatnot, I really don't care. Each to their own. You really can't beat a decent bit of steak or a nice roast beef dinner though.

Also, this:

[hide]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkyFozcL-xw[/hide]

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

As I said in the thread, if you've got reason behind it (medical, raised that way, whatever), you're good. If you're just doing it because, you're a douche.

And to finish in the same way: I don't see how you couldn't eat meat, it's so damn good!

The only thing I have a problem with is people who are vegetarians for the sake of being "cool" or "trendy."

Otherwise, I think it's important to be respectful to people, and understand that their reasoning for abstaining from eating meat is perfectly valid for them. It may not make sense to anyone else, but that doesn't give us the right (in my opinion) to devalue that person's opinions.

As a side note, I'm always a little taken aback, because in my experience it's always the meat-eaters I encounter who seem terribly self-righteous. From my perspective, it almost seems as if by my being a vegetarian, other people assume that I have a problem with their life choice -- or that I think less of them as a person -- and this is what causes people to get on the defensive and immediately start debating with me about vegetarianism.

glut.gif
2tchvHp.png

Honestly, the best reasons I've heard to not eat meat were these:

2- I find meat unappetizing in appearance

3- I had meat before in my youth (as in, like, 3 or 4 years old), and I disliked it. This includes fried chicken, turkey, ground beef, and probably others.

If it was because you were raised that way, I don't find that as a good reason. I was raised a Catholic, but I'm very glad I questioned my beliefs and ended up on what I believe is a more logical (and even moral) religious standing. I prefer progression over classicism.

If it's because it's believed to be immoral, I can just as easily say it's immoral to let the meat go to waste and cause small critters to die because of the way vegetables, grains, and fruits are gathered. Also, just because I eat meat does not mean I condone animal abuse. I am against that, although weirdly it's not so much because I care about the animal, it's that a human being's intention to want to inflict suffering on them in the first place is disgusting.

As for what's healthy, I never done the research so I wouldn't know. All I know is that both sides claimed their methods are the more healthier of the two.

As for "we're not meant to eat meat", this is the silliest. We probably weren't "meant to" invent electricity either then. That's no grounds to say we shouldn't. We, as humans, have something other animals don't have - the ability to use logic. We might not have claws or razor sharp teeth, but we do have highly functional brains which can lead to us creating tools that are even more efficient than anatomic weapons at acquiring nourishment.

Personally, my life would suck without meat, it's one of the things that gets this animal up in the morning.

Personally, my life would suck without meat, it's one of the things that gets this animal up in the morning.

Bacon in particular?

Ah, the smell... =P~ Bacon should be made into a new Axe scent. Better than all of their current ones.

IMo if someone wants to be vegetarian and/or vegan because they dislike the look or taste of meat or they are agaisnt animal slaughter (more so for American cause on the whole American slaughter houses are less humane) I think fair enough.

Anyone who tries to say we shouldn't eat meat because we can do with out, its healthier or we aren't meant to i find annoying as hell.

Yes we can do without meat, but then we get like no protein and thus become lanky AND most vegetarians have to take some form of iron supplement or die.

It's not healthier to get nutrients from fake sources, when the real ones are right there

And we are meant too we are born omnivores that's why we have incisors AND canine teeth

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I don't mind that. It just pisses me off when people try pushing their values onto one another.

"You have your beliefs, that's fine. Just don't try and convince me your way of life is better."

Btw, i'm a cook, I love meat! I love the smell of it cooking and the all the flavors and aromas when its done!! Ahh... =P~

29y32nr.png

Snipersxope.png

Firemaking cape 12/22/08 & Range cape 10/07/09

Quest cape 12/10/09 & Agility cape 8/13/10

I have trouble with trendy vegetarians. Being a vegetarian should never be associated with being a revolutionary or being open minded... it's a dietary choice.

Just in case some vegetarian is browsing this thread : after cooking a steak on a bbq, put it on a plate and immediately put a thick slice of butter on top of it and let it melt. In five minutes it will have completely melted and seeped into the steak - heaaaaveeennnnnnn!

hiccup.png

I have trouble with trendy vegetarians. Being a vegetarian should never be associated with being a revolutionary or being open minded... it's a dietary choice.

Now that you mention it, I definitely remember there being a strong correlation between "progressive open minded" kids and vegetarianism in my old high school.

IMo if someone wants to be vegetarian and/or vegan because they dislike the look or taste of meat or they are agaisnt animal slaughter (more so for American cause on the whole American slaughter houses are less humane) I think fair enough.

Anyone who tries to say we shouldn't eat meat because we can do with out, its healthier or we aren't meant to i find annoying as hell.

Yes we can do without meat, but then we get like no protein and thus become lanky AND most vegetarians have to take some form of iron supplement or die.

It's not healthier to get nutrients from fake sources, when the real ones are right there

And we are meant too we are born omnivores that's why we have incisors AND canine teeth

Really? lol, I've never once eaten meat in my entire life (as far as I know) and I've also never taken any form of supplement to account for this, and I'm perfectly healthy, you can get everything in non-meat foods easily.

To be honest the thought of eating an animal myself actually makes me feel sick, but it's probably just because I've never had it before and also have no desire to.

I've also never told a meat-eater they should become a vegetarian, though I do feel that morally, not eating meat is better than eating meat, but not by much

Actually you can't vegetarian alternative foods are packed with supplements.

If you don't eat them you get iron deficiency very quickly.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue