The HIGH Road

TheDarkSide

First off, this thread isn't meant to discuss whether weed should be legal or not; it is meant to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of living high, and of living sober.

Note: To those who haven't tried weed, I'm not trying to tell you to try it. It's your choice, just make sure you're well educated before making any decisions. This thread is somewhat designed to help you with that.

High Life:

Benefits:

- Always happy, very easy to enjoy things

- Worry-free

- Increased attention to detail

- Optimistic point-of-view

- Easier to be happy: Most everyday "stoners" aren't keen on improving their careers, they are happy with a basic job, basic lifestyle, etc.

- Everything is enjoyable: From music, to lonely bus rides, to staring at nothing, you love it

- Spiritual and mental freedom

- Relaxation

I'm not saying this list can only be achieved while stoned, but it makes it MUCH easier.

I'm sure there are more... if anyone can think of anything I'll add onto this list as well as the disadvantages list.

Disadvantages:

- Weed is still somewhat taboo... most of society dislikes/shuns smokers

- Some (arguable) health concerns: Lungs of course, loss of short-term memory, Impairs attention, judgment, and other cognitive functions

- Loss of motivation

- Could ruin relationships with people (First disadvantage)

- Lazyyyy

- It"s illegal

- More will be posted...

Summary:

Life high could be less rewarding, but more happy. You can explore yourself mentally, but you probably wont get far in life if that is what you are after.

Life sober is full of troubles, which are hard but as some people say they "Make you who you are." You can succeed in careers, move up in the world, but in the end you would still probably be more happy if you were to be high your whole life... and that's pretty much what counts, right?

I will be editing this and adding to it a lot.

Sculpted from birth, you try to fit in. Wishing you were this, wanting to be that... changing everything you really are. Meanwhile, you're so lost in others, you have vanished from the earth.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thought. But, it depends what kind of person you are, and what your goals in life. That's what will matter the most during the time you are sober.

Lol. I hope this doesn't get locked.

I'm guessing you're a stoner. Your information is moslty incorrect or biased towards the benefits.

-You are not more attentive to detail when high, you just think you are. You are actually concentrating less.

-Smoking marijuana at a young age increases the chance of dangerous hallucinations when older.

-Lack of motivation will result in failure of both your social life and your career.

-You aren't actually happier. Stoners are prone to extreme moods, usually a result of mental addiction. This means when you aren't high, you will be randomly mean to people, and occasionally experience mild depression. You may say you plan on staying high, but that's impossible. You will build up a resistance, eventually needing massive amounts or stronger drugs, which have more serious health issues.

-You have a massive loss of memory.

God damn, when my friend picked up smoking weed last year, its like he has Alzheimer now.

He forgets EVERYTHING.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

God damn, when my friend picked up smoking weed last year, its like he has Alzheimer now.

He forgets EVERYTHING.

I think your friend is just an idiot...

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Spiritual and mental freedom? Lol.

Wherever I have had weed, which is not much and which I do not do anymore, the major effect is that it makes me a blabbering idiot unable to comprehend conversations.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

I don't feel that anyone has to sell me something for me to be happy.

Although I would love to grow my own food and everything, so I guess you could catch me on growing things to be happy. The world isn't black and white, anyway. The higher you get, the lower you will at some point reach. I try to live my life at a constant climax, but it isn't quite possible yet.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

He forgets EVERYTHING.

I think your friend is just an idiot...

He had was a really good student before last year, but now hes really [bleep]ing up his life. Its really sad.

"Let your anger be as a monkey in a piñata... hiding amongst the candy... hoping the kids don't break through with the stick." - Master Tang

I'm guessing you're a stoner. Your information is moslty incorrect or biased towards the benefits.

-You are not more attentive to detail when high, you just think you are. You are actually concentrating less.

-Smoking marijuana at a young age increases the chance of dangerous hallucinations when older.

-Lack of motivation will result in failure of both your social life and your career.

-You aren't actually happier. Stoners are prone to extreme moods, usually a result of mental addiction. This means when you aren't high, you will be randomly mean to people, and occasionally experience mild depression. You may say you plan on staying high, but that's impossible. You will build up a resistance, eventually needing massive amounts or stronger drugs, which have more serious health issues.

I dont mean to be biased, sorry for that. I have done a lot of research and not once have I read that smoking at a young age increases the chance of hallucinations, where did you read that?

Ive been smoking for 12 years and during that time I've gotten a degree in digital media, kept the same girlfriend (Soon to be fiancé), and I now make 75,000$ a year editing videos for a newspaper's website. I've not once tried "stronger" drugs, and yes, it does take me larger amounts to get high, but the difference from when I began smoking and now is not very much. I would like to point out that when I say 'Live high" I really mean it. Wake and bake, smoke throughout the day (Yes, on my lunch hour, I use Visine, body spray and mints, and no-one has noticed, plus it hasn't negatively affected my work.) so saying you aren't actually happy is wrong, because when I am high, I am happy, and I am always high.

I understand that this is not always the case, but the same can be said for your disadvantages.

Sculpted from birth, you try to fit in. Wishing you were this, wanting to be that... changing everything you really are. Meanwhile, you're so lost in others, you have vanished from the earth.

I dont mean to be biased, sorry for that. I have done a lot of research and not once have I read that smoking at a young age increases the chance of hallucinations, where did you read that?

Ive been smoking for 12 years and during that time I've gotten a degree in digital media, kept the same girlfriend (Soon to be fiancé), and I now make 75,000$ a year editing videos for a newspaper's website. I've not once tried "stronger" drugs, and yes, it does take me larger amounts to get high, but the difference from when I began smoking and now is not very much. I would like to point out that when I say 'Live high" I really mean it. Wake and bake, smoke throughout the day (Yes, on my lunch hour, I use Visine, body spray and mints, and no-one has noticed, plus it hasn't negatively affected my work.) so saying you aren't actually happy is wrong, because when I am high, I am happy, and I am always high.

I understand that this is not always the case, but the same can be said for your disadvantages.

I'd be curious to see whether your supervisors agree.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

You might be the exception to the rule, but if you're always high, how do you know what it would be like to be sober?

I will admit that the health risks of marijuana are about as bad as those of alcohol. But nobody tries to stay drunk constantly.

I'd be curious to see whether your supervisors agree.

Well my wages have increased since I started and I've been stoned the whole time. It's funny in a way, I work in the editorial and all my co-workers are very hard-working yet make the same as me. Reporters are constantly coming in and out, and I sit at my desk and watch videos. I love it.

@ Bentomat: I went through high-school and my childhood sober, I haven't been smoking my whole life. :P

Never tried it, never will. I just don't see how it's useful or necessary at all. I understand that it can be prescribed by a doctor, but other than that, no reason to smoke it.

Exactly my opinion.

I can't remember where I first heard that marijuana increases the risk of hallucinations, but here's one study:

http://in.reuters.com/article/idINTRE6203DM20100301

It's not entirely conclusive, but there's decent evidence.

Also, this:

http://www.nida.nih.gov/researchreports/marijuana/marijuana3.html

I didn't read the whole thing, but if you look over the first few paragraphs you'll notice info on memory loss and harm to other mental functions.

Consequences of Marijuana Abuse

Acute (present during intoxication)

Impairs short-term memory

Impairs attention, judgment, and other cognitive functions

Impairs coordination and balance

Increases heart rate

Psychotic episodes

Persistent (lasting longer than intoxication, but may not be permanent)

Impairs memory and learning skills

Sleep impairment

Long-term (cumulative effects of chronic abuse)

Can lead to addiction

Increases risk of chronic cough, bronchitis

Increases risk of schizophrenia in vulnerable individuals

May increase risk of anxiety, depression, and amotivational syndrome

I can't remember where I first heard that marijuana increases the risk of hallucinations, but here's one study:

http://in.reuters.com/article/idINTRE6203DM20100301

It's not entirely conclusive, but there's decent evidence.

Also, this:

http://www.nida.nih.gov/researchreports/marijuana/marijuana3.html

I didn't read the whole thing, but if you look over the first few paragraphs you'll notice info on memory loss and harm to other mental functions.

Fair enough. I added a few more disadvantages.

You might be the exception to the rule, but if you're always high, how do you know what it would be like to be sober?

I will admit that the health risks of marijuana are about as bad as those of alcohol. But nobody tries to stay drunk constantly.

Alcohol is far worse for you than weed. No one dies from smoking too much. That being said, neither of them are really good for you. There's a very small amount of conditions where the of marijuana benefits outweigh the "negatives" in terms of health.

I personally am no longer smoking though. It was fun and still is, but I've decided I'll be just as well off without it. I don't need any criminal charges either.

15cbz0y.jpg

Alcohol is far worse for you than weed. No one dies from smoking too much. That being said, neither of them are really good for you. There's a very small amount of conditions where the of marijuana benefits outweigh the "negatives" in terms of health.

I personally am no longer smoking though. It was fun and still is, but I've decided I'll be just as well off without it. I don't need any criminal charges either.

No one dies from smoking weed? High driving is an increasingly common phenomenon with mortality rates similar to drunk driving, for one.

Not mentioning lung cancer (paralleled in alcohol with liver disease) or stupid decisions under the influence(similar to alcohol).

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I meant directly from the effects of smoking. The mortality rates of high driving are debatable since most of the time there are other drugs or alcohol in the person's system so it's hard to determine if the cannabis was the contributing factor. However it's certainly not a good idea to drive high. You're reaction time is [cabbage] and it's hard to concentrate.

Habitual smoking isn't as likely to give you lung cancer as drinking is to destroy your liver either. (I'm not trying to convince anyone that its safe or good for you though. It isn't.)

15cbz0y.jpg

[hide=]

[/hide]

Until they get around to doing drug tests.

hopesolopatriot.jpg